“Trip Report 5/16 - 5/23/2013 *** DON'T GO ON THE PROMO TRIP!***” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cozumel Palace

You added Cozumel Palace to your Saves list
Cozumel Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Rafael E Melgar km 1 5, Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Danville, CA
“Trip Report 5/16 - 5/23/2013 *** DON'T GO ON THE PROMO TRIP!***”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

First the BAD............. DO NOT FALL FOR THE VACATION CLUB PROMO TRIP to visit playa del carmen PLAYACAR PALACE. Look up reviews of RCI, the company that runs the "vacation Club" (they say it isn't timeshare but it is.." people have alot of negative reviews and the deal doesn't seem to come out in the wash..The free jeep rental and spa credits will not get your wasted vacation day back! it was nice to have a jeep for the day but you are better off renting it yourself. The spa credits are nice but would you pay $200 for a massage at home? the massage was nice but mediocre at best. Overall the rooms are awsome and the service is very good here. The $1500 resort credit is nice, but you are charged alot for each item and would probably be better off spending your own money for services. The DiveOperator AQUA SAFARI was wonderful and Angel in the shop as well as Ricardo our dive master were absolutely great. Pete who does photography on some of the morning dive trips does a fantastic job and the CD he sells is worth the money. The food here is pretty excellent. We ate mostly at the Mexican place and loved it. The Asian place was not worth revisiting. Lunch buffet was always good and the outside grill as well. Unless you neeed sand this place is great. They have a beautiful pool but we never went in.. The ocean and the great snorkeling right off the wall were more enticing to us. For a good local experience take a cab to Mercado Municipal and try some of the food in back! Overall if you keep your own agenda and don't wate your time with promotional sales crap you will have a great trip here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Hebrew first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The negatives are short so I'll start there. There is a urgent need to upgrade some furnishings. Three bar stools at the lobby bar looks very tacky. The pool bar could also use stools. It would be a nice gathering spot if it looked more inviting. There is a lot of wear showing on other furnishings as well. You come to expect a higher quality when vacationing at a Palace resort.

The positives are all a lot of the same things in past reviews. Great service, very good food and a the "we can't do enough for you" attitude of the employees.

We were a group of 8. I asked the first night if we can sit about 8 PM at the outside restaurant. They said they don't take reservations. The manager came over and said although they do not take reservations they would get a table together around the time we were looking for and they would come get us from the lobby when it was ready. It was perfect. I wish I remembered our lead waiters name, he was very good.

We wanted to have the romantic dinner but we wanted to have it together. I talked to Hugo at guest services and he said he would see what he can do. He found me by the pool and said they were going to set us up on the small patio by the water (picture attached). Hugo said he would put all the tickets together and come out to the pool to get them signed rather than have me stand in the lobby and wait. We had 2 full time waiters for about 3 hours and again, it was perfect.

Hugo also arranged our table of 8 for the chefs dinner. Again he put the tickets together and found me by the pool to get them signed rather than make me stand in the lobby and wait. We had the same personal waiter service and the meal was awesome, fantastic evening. Alahondro (SP?) was our lead waiter and very professional.

We snorkeled on the property every day. I think it's exceptional. Stingrays, puffer fish, angel fish, parrot fish and many others. It's safe and could not be more convenient.

Our room was clean perfectly and finished early every morning. Jessica was our maid most days. She was very friendly. I'd walk down the hall to find her each morning to greet her. I left my ipad charging, my wife’s netbook charging, my ipone charging, sunglasses, rolls of peso's and other things out in my room and nothing was ever missing, like I assumed from every (about 12) Palace visit we've ever made.

There is a second Alahandro ( he closely resembles Ricky Apreo from the Soprano's series) that works at the outside restaurant. He also was given the task to serve our table for a 3 hour dinner. He was nothing but professional from start to finish.

Daniel the little trouble maker that worked at the pool giving out towels and other tasks was one of my favorites. I looked forward to seeing him every morning. He messed with me from the first time he saw me and that's not a typical first greeting I get from people. I looked for him our last day to give him a little something and he was off this day. He has a great personality.

From day 2 to day 8 I was called by my name, at breakfast, by the pool, in the lobby, at guest service at the podium at each restaurant. The staff is remarkable. I wish I paid more attention to more names. The staff at the Italian and the Mexican were also great but I have no names. All of dinners were a table of 8 for 3 hours and we never felt rushed, not at all.

The women that makes omelets ect. at breakfast is also fantastic. I would always greet her before I even picked up a plate. She smiled and was very pleasant.

We each spent almost all of our $1500 in resort credits. The spa was nice, upgraded wines were preferred, diving, romantic dinner and chefs table dinner. It was worth every penny of the 11% tax.

We rented a van that fit 8 and a driver for 5 hours so we could tour the island, stop at the local bars, drink our fill and not worry about driving. Great afternoon. This was set up by the bell hop and I don't have his name, I wish I did. He got us a good English speaking driver that was knowlegable of the island.

One more thing about the bell hop. I'd go for a 3 mile walk every morning. Upon my return the young man would hand me a cool towel and the bartender stocking the bar for the day would hand me an ice cold bottle of water. You just felt special every day.

This was our second trip to the Cozumel Palace and we will return for a third vacation, I love this resort and the Cozumel airport is very easy to navigate. I will find an alternate airline or rout and avoid Houston in the future. Two trips through Houston customs is enough for me, what a fiasco. Last year we had to spend the night because we missed our connection and this year we made it by 10 minutes.

Do keep in mind, I don't know if this matters or not (because we have never tried another rout) but we are above average tippers. From morning maid service to our night cap, from our pool service to turn down service, to the bell hop and guest service. I don't mind receiving special treatment because we are very friendly, courteous guests and we constantly show our appreciation to the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Bring a good snorkle and goggels
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our lovely travel agent, Lisa at Beach Bum Vacations, set us up with a very affordable package to visit Cozumel without much warning. We had a wonderful time traveling around the island on a scooter and visiting the Marley Bar among other wonderful restaurants all over the island. For foodies and scubies, this is an easy place to visit a beautiful island with a lot of activities. I would recommend the Cozumel Palace based on its central location. The other top resorts are far away from the downtown area which has its benefits for isolation, but if you are like us an enjoy going out and exploring new places, there is nothing better and no better location.

Hallways are VERY loud in the mornings with staff and early divers chatting on their way to the elevators, but not a major inconvenience.

It is worth either using your resort credit to upgrade your room or booking the junior suite in advance and using your credit towards activities. We used our credit for diving and spa time (plus the 11% tax you will need to pay on your resort credit).

Breakfast and poolside lunches were perfect.

Thank you Cozumel for showing us a wonderful time and hospitality and Beach Bum for yet another great trip!

Room Tip: Spring for the ocean view junior suite. It is worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomingdale, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have been in other Palace Resorts, but this one was really special. Besides fantastic service that goes above and beyond to make you feel special, location of the hotel to the airport, shopping malls and snorkeling area right in the back of the hotel was great. Every morning I would get my snorkeling gear and go for a swim .If you there, take a trip to Chakanaab. Nice place to snorkel or dive. You not only see the fish in the water, but also an interesting part of history of Mexico under the water. Loved the Tequila Factory as well.
Going back to the hotel.....the food was great, every day something different, so healthy. I can't wait to go back. My 6 year old son remembers most of the service stuff by name. That's how friendly they all are.

Room Tip: Higher floors with fantastic view on the ocean, had hamacks. Very relaxing.
Glendora, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and his co-workers planned this trip, I was a little hesitant because of the violence in Mexico. I was impressed at how close its location is to the airport & ferry. Walking distance to shopping. Upon arrival we were offered a drink and the aroma of the lobby was AMAZING! The lobby had a great sitting area & bar. We had a jacuzzi, ocean view room and was not able to get an upgarde like our friends did, but really there was not much of a difference so I wouldn't bother. Pool was nice with enough sitting in or out of the water. I liked having the infinity pool to relax in when the main pool was being used for volleyball or basketball. Not to impressed with the evening restaurant foods, but the grill outside and pizza's were very tasty. Entertainment throughout the day could have been better, they need to "read the crowd" to determine what activities to do. Night time entertainment was ok. Would strongly recommend mariachi's, folklorico dancers, more DJ music and definitly "street tacos" everynight! People came to Mexico, let's give them Mexico! The Spa treatments were great. All staff spoke both English & Spanish. First time doing all inclusive, this is how we roll now :). You must ask for top shelf though or else you won't get it. I felt very safe within the hotel and around the island. Tequila factory was very cool. Coconuts bar was pricey, but fun (Ask for the coconuts menu & tell the waiters to lift their apron's)-do this without kids of course!!! Snorkling at resort was convenient with resting pad. No beach. Not a place for kids over 1yr old. They would get bored fast!! Overall, the island caters to cruise ships, many places close certain days and the town closes early. Took ferry to Playa de Carmen and rode out to Xplor, may I say.....Awsome!!!!! if no kids, I recommend it over Xcaret.

Room Tip: We were all o the forth floor ocean view, it was pretty quiet. Our fiends had an upgrade, not much d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

From beginning to end was the best.

Did the upgrade with the resort credits! Totally worth it, 11% tax- I think we paid 55$. We went from city view to balcony with the hot tub. The hot tub was nice, we used almost every night. More than enough room- Hubby is 250#, 6.3 and I’m 175# 5’10.

Changed rooms after first night due to a service entrance across the hall. (Don’t do 206) No hassles at all! Bell boy helped with the move.

Food was incredible. Best food ever from all vacations with inclusive including cruises. Bacon wrapped shrimp! Like the idea there was a dress code and they enforced it. Thank you. Makes you feel special, if you took the effort to look good and have pleasant food. Very friendly staff.

Small downfall, wait staff is slow, especially in the am. Food was always hot though.

Pool was grand. Clean. Fire stone pizza was amazing by the pool! Perfect snack.

Snorkeling right in front of the resort was great. I didn't expect much but it was great!

Walking distance to all the shops- maybe 10 minutes. Huge mega mall (like Walmart) down the street, perfect for picking up snacks and toiletries.

Entertainment was the only big downfall of the resort. Real blah. More family focused.

This is my first review I have written, but I read a ton before I book.

Room Tip: Use credits for room upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Palace Resorts did themselves a huge favor by selecting Aqua Safari to return to the resort. The resort staff was fantastic, and the food was always the highest quality. One thing to remember with the all inclusive drinks is that just because the default selection may be of lower quality doesn't mean you can't ask for, and receive what you want. For example, they do carry Johnnie Walker Black Label, so if you ask for a Johnnie Walker Black and Coke, that's what you get. If you don't ask for it, you won't get it, so ask for it. With regard to diving, I wouldn't dive with anyone other than Aqua Safari, so I'm glad they are now fully affiliate with the resort again. We talked with many experienced divers on our many boat trips to the dive sites, and they all said the same thing. When AS wasn't with the resort, they'd stay at the hotel, but still call AS for reservations. Good thing that phase is now passed. Palace Resorts in combination with Aqua Safari is a recipe for a really good time in Cozumel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cozumel Palace? Share your experiences!