“Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel
Country Club Lote 36, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I went to Cozumel in January 2013 with my boyfriend and we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Beachouse Hostel is everything we were looking for in accommodations and then some! It's very clean, bright and full of character. The neighbourhood is quiet, safe, well maintained and very close to the beach. It's easy and quick to get to from the action of downtown so a late night out isn't a concern. The rooms are cleaned every day, food and drinks are easy to store, cooking is effortless with an ample supply of pots, pans, dishes and seasonings, and bottled water is free and always available. Tina and Adolfo are super friendly and a wealth of knowledge for great places to eat and see, and general area information. They also helped us rent a scooter to get around the island, find a dive shop that offers fantastic prices and services, helped us move on to our next accommodations and bent over backwards to take us out diving as that was the goal of our trip. Our stay at Beachouse Hostel really made our trip experience first-rate and not a week goes by that we don't think about going back!

Room Tip: The rooms with private bathrooms are huge and very comfortable but the smaller rooms with shared bat...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beachouse H, Owner at Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest/Amigo,...Thank you so much for your comment about the Beachouse. It makes us proud, to see after a few months, you still remember us and had a great time. We hope to see you back soon. with lovely greeting from cozumel Tina and Adolfo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Superior, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I Were on Cozumel in 2009 when we found this little place down on the north end of town, we stopped in and asked for information. So when we decided to return to Cozumel in 2013 we booked a few days at the beach house, only there for three nights, we had family coming down to meet us on the main land for the rest of our trip, but our next trip we will stay longer, Tina & Adolfo are so welcoming, you feel like family, we had the biggest surprise, there was a couple down there that my husband kite boards with from MN. They also where staying there, what a small world, our room was big and airy with our own bathroom, it was so peaceful, relaxing,we love the small little places, where you get to know the people. Thanks for every thing .
Warm Wind's.... Sunny Sky's....

Room Tip: This little hostel is very clean, good value, great location, it's very quite, you are out of to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marina Del Rey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

From the first moment Tina and Adolfo opened the door to the Beach House Cozumel I knew immediately that I had made an excellent choice by booking an entire week's stay there. They were both so warm and friendly that I immediately felt right at home. Their recommendations throughout my stay were so helpful and always spot on. One thing I have to mention is that Tina prepares one of the most delicious salads I have ever tasted!! Also, I couldn't have been more pleased with the layout of the house and my accommodations. The house was open and airy with a gentle ocean breeze coming in through the windows. My large bedroom and private bathroom on the 2nd floor, as well as the entire house, was immaculate. Perfect, just the way I like it! The first couple of days I spent just chilling out and exploring the local area on one of the bikes for rent at the house. The house is located in a quiet and safe enclave. I had no reservation whatsoever riding my bike or walking to nearby restaurants at night. The main town is just 3 miles south and a pleasant ride along the waterfront. Since the kitchen at the house is fully equipped with every utensil imaginable, I decided I would take advantage of the Mega supermarket by the cruise ship terminal. What a selection, and so much better than any grocery store here in the LA area! The exchange rate by paying with US dollars was approx. 12.71 pesos per dollar. I stocked up on fresh fruits and vegetables. the best pastry selection anywhere (the mini croissants with cheese filling and sprinkled with powder sugar and sliced pecans were heavenly!), the leanest cuts of New York and Ribeye Steak, and a fantastic selection of cheeses (the Oaxacan ball cheese is my favorite). Downstairs across from the GNC is an ice cream shop. Don't pass that up! One day I rode across from one side of the island to the other. The beaches on the other side of the island are gorgeous and definitely worth checking out and spending a relaxing day. The beach by the house is virtually just steps away up the path in back of the house. Hit the beach and turn right and start walking along the beach. You'll start to come across some resorts with lounge chairs on the beach. i would just plop down with my beach towel, crank up my Ipod, and just gaze out over the most beautiful blue sea and watch the sunset. Heavenly!

The main purpose of my trip was to go scuba diving on Cozumel's world class reefs. I'm a scuba diving instructor and have travelled all over the world diving. The reefs lived up to all my expectations and then some. The beauty of diving with Adolfo is that for 99% of my dives there were no other dive boats around, which meant we had the entire reef at each respective dive site we visited to the 3-4 divers on his boat. No other groups of divers to clutter the view. The diving was pure bliss! The reefs and deep walls were healthy with hard and soft coral, turtles, spotted eagle rays, sting rays, barracuda, and quite any array of multi-colored tropical fish. Lots of life everywhere! Warm water diving with impeccable viz is just what the doctor ordered to decompress from whatever ails you. The smile on everyone's face after each dive was ear to ear! Adolfo's crew are friendly, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful, If you are not a certified diver I would recommend trying out the Discover Scuba program. if you are an Open Water certified diver I would highly recommend getting your advance certification or maybe getting your Deep Diver, Wreck Diver, or Drift Diver specialty certification. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have blast!

One of the advantages of staying in an intimate hostel like the Beach House is the wonderful travelers from all over the world you will meet and make friends with. We would share experiences and recommendations over breakfast or dinner. I find that people are so much more open and receptive in a nurturing environment like that as opposed to staying in a large resort. When I travel I also want to have a better perspective of what it's like to live a local. There is no question in my mind about returning to Cozumel and staying at the Beach House. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer during my most recent trip:)!!!!

Room Tip: Choose one of the bedrooms upstairs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Beachouse H, Owner at Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Greg, Wow what a nice description....we miss you still and will always remember you...your are a wonderful person. And I hope you come back. Take care big hug Tina and Adolfo
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booking was as easy as writing an email, and I got a response straightaway. When I arrived, I was instantly charmed.

The Beach House is located 3 km north of town, in a quiet neighbourhood just a flip-flop's throw from the beach. Cycling is possible if you're fit and not in a hurry, but I wouldn't recommend it on diving days. Taxis are relatively expensive at 90.- pesos one way, so renting a scooter, car or (as I did) a Tuk-Tuk are better options. Don't use "Thrifty" rentals here.

The hostel consists of 4 rooms, 3 of them en-suite, one has it's own bathroom located seperately. There is no air conditioning but it's not needed even on hot days - the insect netting means the room windows can be kept open at night, and the ceiling fan is very quiet and effective in keeping things cool.

My room was very spacious with plenty of storage, comfortable beds, and access to a large, shared balcony surrounded by a tropical garden. It is very quiet at night and I slept extremely well.

There are very generous lounging areas upstairs and downstairs, with sofas, chairs, coffee tables etc; there is a bookshelf with a small library; no TV, thankfully - TV's in hostels cause nothing but trouble in my experience.

There is also a spacious and fully equiped kitchen, and a dining area with a large table. For the nicotine addicts there is a sheltered and insect-screened outside area to smoke in - the house itself is non-smoking.

The whole place is spotlessly clean, and it somehow manages to be very tidy as well as very relaxed. Free filter coffee in the mornings, free WiFi, free filtered water and a great price complete the picture.

But most of all, it's the owners who make this place magical. Tina and Adolpho live on site, and in years on the road (staying in many hundreds of hostels) I've learnded that this is always a good thing. They do all they can to make sure people live together harmoniously and everyone is happy. Tina and Adolpho are not only great hosts but also lovely people and a genuine joy to hang out with. They go out of their way to help everyone making the most of their stay in Cozumel, be it by arranging a scooter rental or showing us the best local eateries, away from the mayhem of the Plaza del Sol.

I spent my birthday there and not only did Tina get a surprise cake for me, we also went out for drinks together to a great little bar Tina suggested, which was fantastic as i've travelled on my own this time.

For a variety of reasons i've booked my diving with Aldora divers on this occasion, and I didn't regret it - they are a quality operation. However, I did regret not having time to dive with Adolpho as well. Next time, I'll arrange all my diving with Adolpho in advance.

This is a Backpacker's heaven and I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: No bad rooms here - one is downstairs which is great if your mobility is impaired, but might be more...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were on the lookout for a place in Cozumel away from the bustle of the central markets, and with a quiet surroundings. The beachhouse of Tina & Adolfo came up as the only viable candidate and we arrived unannounced -- but TIna took us in with a friendly and welcoming smile.

Frienly and welcoming would be the best adjectives to describe the setup. We were welcome to come and go as we pleased, or to sit in for a chatty evening in the well-furnished kitchen, or explore the myriad tips that Tina & Adolfo dispensed for every one of our questions. The house is 15 mins away from the market by (rented) motorbike and gave us a very comfortable and convenient base to explore the island, when we were not diving. And for diving we had our dive instructor in-house. Adolfo arranged dive trips for us, and also took over the dive course for one of us -- who had a botched-up experience with the instructors in town.

We enjoyed the atmosphere, the quiet surroundings and the intimate conversations amongst friends that Tina has managed to establish in her home for friends of Cozumel. I would recommend this place to stay to get away from the banal offers in town.

Room Tip: Just smile... all the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oaxaca de Juárez, Oaxaca, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Tina and Adolfo were really kind, funny, and helpful on this trip. You might want to rent a bike, car, or a scooter if you stay here, all of which are really economical. We ended up renting a car for $25/day and cruised the entire island. We probably would have rented it anyway since the best locations on the island are spread out. Walking on the beach nearby is really nice though we ended up going to the beaches on the NE side of the island more. Always nice to come back to Tina and Adolfo´s at the end of the day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Beachouse H, Owner at Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you very much for this review...we feel very proud, when guest feel like home...gracias, thank you, danke.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had a wonderful stay with Tina and Adolfo at their place at the north end of Cozumel island. This is the perfect place to stay for those looking for somewhere quiet by a beautiful beach within easy reach of downtown. Snorkeling off the nearby beaches is a must!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel? Share your experiences!