“Unforgettable Experience for Everyone” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The original spearfishing adventure on Cozumel. Come for the thrill of shooting your own fish. You wanna learn how to spear? Or you just need a guide? Contact us! We will make sure that there will be memories of a lifetime! Check out our website with recent pictures!
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Unforgettable Experience for Everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I was contacted by Marloes (Loes) after posting a question on the Cozumel forum and she provided me not only with information about the spearfishing activity that they offer but also suggested MANY other activities unrelated to her company that we could do while in Cozumel. I was in contact with Loes for a few months before finally deciding to book a spearfishing tour with them and before finally arriving in Mexico. She was always very patient, incredibley informative and so helpful.

There were 7 of us that went out, some did snorkeling, some attempted spearfishing and some just watched from the boat and relaxed. We went out with Leo, Loes' boyfriend, (as well as two crewmen) and he was so friendly and helpful. We felt at ease right away. The first spot we went to was pretty good and a lot of us got in and just got used to snorkeling. Most of us were newbies even at snorkeling, let alone spearfishing at the same time but Leo made us feel very comfortable and not pressured. We went to several different spots after the first one before finally finding a spot that we would work again. That was fine though since riding on the boat was also nice. (In fact, quite an adventure because we found some stranded scuba divers on our way, rescued them and then searched for their boat and dropped them off before going back to our search for a good fishing area. Kind of exciting actually!) The last place we snorkeled/fished was where one of us finally speared our own fish. The rest of the fish were caught by Leo, thank goodness! Otherwise we wouldn't have had dinner!

We went to Isla de Pasion to cook our dinner and by that time the sun was beginning to set. The women explored the island while the men cooked the dinner. It was a gorgeous setting for an end to a great day. We were at the island later than most would be due to the scuba diver rescue but there were no complaints from anyone and Leo still gave us everything we agreed upon even though it made for a later day.

The one and only thing that I would advise is to request that Leo provide life jackets on the boat in case there would be a need for them. We realized later after talking about the day that there were no life jackets, to our knowledge, on the boat. It would probably have made snorkeling a little easier for some of the newbies in our group.

I would highly recommend this activity for anyone that is good on their feet, since the catamaran has net flooring and would not be good for the elderly, and for those looking for something different to do. It's not "touristy" at all, and it's very adventerous. Everyone that went had an AMAZING time!

isladecozumel, owner at Spearfishing Today Cozumel, responded to this review, January 14, 2009
Thank you so much for the great review Nichole!!!! Life jackets are on board and we use them in emergency situations. Both the crew that stays on board as well as myself keep on eye on the people snorkeling/spearing around the catamaran. Thank you for this comment! In future I'll tell people that we have them on board, so that someone is able to put them on while snorkeling. Leo

Madison, Wisconsin
“Review from a diehard Spearo.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

My wife and I take a "fancy" vacation once a year. This means that we stay at really nice hotels, eat $100 meals every night, and lie around by the pool. Nice for a marriage, but a bit aggrevating for a man with spearfishing in his veins. Couple this with the fact that I'm usually 200 meters from "lunch", and it can make vacations bitter-sweet. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy myself. But, for me, traveling to paradise and not freediving/spearfishing is like taking a trip around the moon, without any windows in the spaceship.

My wife and I went to Cozumel in 2003. The weather was horrible for that entire trip. And so, we decided to give the island another shot. Five years later - Jackpot! The weather was wonderful, and I found a Dutch Gringo named Leo to take me out spearfishing this time!

First off, Leo speaks both English and Spanish with ease. And you don't have to worry about obtaining permits, or worrying about where you can and can't hunt. Leo has it all covered. If you are like me, your gear is very specialized - it is priceless, and you can't afford to surrender it to the Federales because you happen to be a few feet off-course...Know that you'll always be in legal waters.

Leo has a calm mind and a very relaxed way about him. He's a purist, and believes in the sport of spearfishing, NOT the harvest. Don't get me wrong, he wants to put fish on the stringer as much as the next guy. But, he does it freediving, with an eco-conscious mindset. He's a person you can trust as your spotter. And at the same time, he isn't a "babysitter". You'll have the freedom to dive and hunt as you normally would. Leo may guide you to the hunting site, but you don't follow him around like a snorkle/SCUBA guide the entire time. If you see a fish -go ahead and dive! He's got your back.

Leo has (and continues to) scout out the island extensively. Don't worry about your skill level. He knows enough places to find you a comfortable depth. I employed his services for 4 days. As usual, the weather/wind varied during our stay, and he knew a place for each day, where we would be in calm hunting grounds. He always got us in the water - the rest was up to Mother Nature and Lady Luck. I was able to put something on the stringer all 4 times I went out with him.

If you are a more experienced freediver, Leo is an ABSOLUTE must for your trip to the island. He took me to hunting grounds where I could get off some shots at 60-70 feet deep. Of course, this type of hunting is difficult, especially in the Cozumel current. But, what a challenge! You have to love it! And hey, if you get skunked going after the big stuff in the deep water, Leo will have a shallow spot in the area where you'll at least be able to go after some lunch.

One of my favorite parts about hunting with the Dutchman is that so many fish are on the menu. If you don't know what you are suppose to be shooting, just ask. Some fish are tastier than others, but that doesn't mean that you'll just target grouper and hogfish the whole time. Snapper, triggerfish, jacks, cuda, and even trunkfish (and these are delicious) are on the menu. Try something you haven't had before!

If you are doing it all in one day, then you should surely take advantage of a bbq on the beach. I'm still not sure if the grilled fish we had was "that" delicious, or if it just tasted so good because I was so damn hungry from all the diving. But, I gotta say it was some of the best fish I'd ever eaten. The icing on the cake is that your body will love you for eating this stuff - it's the way food is suppose to be.

If you have some extra time, take your catch over to Wet Wendy's and have them cook it up for you. The night we went there, their cook had already gone home for the night. But, Leo is good friends with the owners, and they let him use their kitchen to prepare an out-right feast. We had ocean triggerfish, "island style" with onions and tomatos; barracuda, baked in a bluecheese sauce; and amberjack in a chipotle bbq sauce. All were fantastic.

I brought my own speargun, but Leo will be able to find you a weapon if you don't have your own. I was plenty successful using my "peashooter" (custom teak, mid-handle gun a bit smaller than a Riffe "bottom"). In my four days, I shot ocean triggerfish, lobsters, barracuda, queen triggerfish, a couple kinds of snapper, and a big 'ol amberjack (probably around 40 pounds).

Obviously, that amberjack was more food than I could eat. Leo gave me the option of storing the meat in his freezer until I flew home. But, there was another option I chose. In addition to his love of ocean hunting, Leo is also philanthropist, and works with local charities to give back to his community. By my request, he dontated the remaining meat to a local charity, who, in turn sold the fish at market. The money was used to buy hygenic products and soccer ball for inner-jungle children.

For me, Leo was the difference between a "ho-hum", sanitized Mexican vacation, and a true taste of what Cozumel has to offer. It is probably the parts I haven't written about that made the trip so special - the talks we had while filleting fish - the subtlties and politics Leo pointed out about landmarks and living areas - getting to really know an island, rather than just the "face" it shows to the tourists.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will return to Cozumel soon, and Leo will certainly know when I'm arriving.

Los Angeles
“Great way to spend a day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Went to Cozumel for the first time with my family and my girlfriend's family in December 08.

I had been spearfishing once before in Belize but am in no way experienced. I found Leo through a few searches on tripadvsor and booked a spearfishing lesson for myself and my brother. It was $100 for about 3 hours in the water. We went out to a nice spot right by the shore and each of us caught a fish and saw a couple cool shipwrecks and got comfortable with the spearguns. Leo is a great teacher and spearfisherman himself.

We had such a great time we booked a whole day trip with him 2 days later and brought the whole family. All 8 of us went on catamaran with Leo and 3 other crew members. We sailed to 2 spots and speared while the rest of our family rested on the boat or snorkled. We caught about 6 fish and sailed to Isla de Pasion where Leo grilled up that fish and made tacos. We then had a beautiful trip home as the sun set.

Leo is an extremely nice guy who went out of the way to make sure everyone had a great trip. I highly recommend him for anyone interested or experienced in spearfishing...the full day trip is very satisfying for a group of people with differing interests as there is something for everyone (sailing, napping, snorkling, fishing, etc).

Howard Beach
“Best Experience Ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My husband and I were invited by a couple and their son at our resort to spend the day Spear fishing and Snorkeling, what a beautiful day. My husband and I have traveled to different islands and I can honestly say this trip was the best. Leo is truly amazing, we have never seen anyone dive as deep and for the length of time that he did without scuba equipment. It was great to just watch him go.
The snorkeling was phenomenal; we saw so many different species of fish and sea turtles. The water of Cozumel is mesmerizing. After our attempt on spear fishing we had a lovely lunch on the” Isla del Paraiso”, and yes it is paradise. The couple we met told us that Leo will customize your adventure to your specifications and he came though even when the couple asked if they could invite another couple at the last minute and he accommodated us. The next time we travel to Cozumel, my husband and I will definitely book a day with Leo again. We had a great time and in the process we also made very good friends.
We Loved it.

Encinitas, CA
4 attraction reviews
“The perfect day: Family, Friends and Spearfishing in Cozumel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

On our Thanksgiving vacation to Cozumel, we had the pleasure of spending the day Spearfishing with Leo. Everything about the day was perfect as Leo took care of every detail. We were conveniently picked up at the pier at our hotel for our private outing. Not a boat full of tourists; just myself, my husband and our two sons. Leo provided all the equipment and gave us thorough instructions including what fish we could shoot and how to handle our spearguns safely. We enjoyed fishing at three different reef stops and found spearfishing to be exhilarating. It helped that we are strong swimmers and experienced snorkelers but Leo was close at hand at all times to make sure we were having fun and staying safe. We took our catch to a beautiful remote beach and while we relaxed and beachcombed, Leo and his boat captain prepared a bbq lunch of the fish we had caught. We enjoyed each others company and the beautiful surroundings while eating the freshest fish tacos you can get! At the end of our special day we were returned back to our hotel. We are thankful to Leo for creating one of the most unique vacation experiences we've ever had and highly recommend this outing to anyone.