“Ultimate Dive Experience in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Cozumel

You added Allegro Cozumel to your Saves list
Allegro Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.5 Carretera Sur San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Hennessey, Oklahoma
“Ultimate Dive Experience in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you are looking for a place in Cozumel to go dive, try the Ultimate Dive Experience. Starting with the special check in and ending with the farewell hug, the Ultimate Dive Experience is amazing. Carla who is in charge of the program is also a dive instructor so she knows what divers are looking for and she has made one of the best dive programs I´ve ever witnessed.

When you arrive you are taken to a special reception area, so no lines at all. They have free computers with internet connections there, so you don´t have to pay for the internet like the rest of the guess. Derli is the concierge in the reception area and she was helpful with any request I made including reservations, recommendations on where to eat and where to go around the island. She personally walked me to my room where my luggage was already waiting.

Carla has also set up a separate lounge, Santa Rosa, which serves snacks, small meals, and drinks exclusively to the Ultimate Dive Experience guess. She hosted a meet and greet there and served the best food I had at the resort. The lounge has a nice seating area inside and out with it´s own wait staff to cater to your needs.

The dive shop is on the beach right inside the resort, with it´s own dock, so from your room to the boat is a few minute walk. The dive shop has a storage room to store your gear, or you can take it to your room where they installed special racks for drying dive gear. Mellissa and Jessica that work the front desk at the dive shop, quickly got me signed in, planned my diving for the week, and had me on a dive boat and in the water in a few short minutes. They suggested different dive sites and worked hard to keep the diver experience level the groups about the same, so no inexperienced divers holding more experienced divers from going deep and vice versa. The Dive masters, too many to name but I would consider them all new friends, are some of the most professional I´ve dove with. They kept their briefings short, gave a few tips for the dive site and then found more fish and things than possible to look at.

As for the Diving, well it´s Cozumel, the diving is amazing. With some of the most famous dive sites in the world literally right in front of the resort, boat rides are very quick. We would get on the boat and start gearing up to dive Santa Rosa Wall and Reef, by the time we gear up it was time to jump in the water. A few minutes more to the other sites but all close.

My only complaint might be the food in the main part of the resort. It was not bad but not great either. The bars, lounges and everything else where great. The rooms where amazing clean and well equipped with new TV´s, nice bed, and even a hammock outside of each room. The refrigerator was stocked with soda, beer and lots of bottled water.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Cpharris21,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We love hearing you enjoyed our Ultimate Dive Experience (UDE) so much! It was indeed carefully crafted to make our diver guests' stay most special and pleasant. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay and more UDE!
We'll make sure to let Derli and Carla you kindly mentioned them in your review.

Allegro Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is my second time at Allegro Cozumel. The grounds of the resort are beautiful. The rooms are good. The beds are comfy, my boyfriend and I slept like babies. The beach.. It's like a nat geo picture. White sand and crystal clear water. AMAZING. I'm a diver and they have a world class dive centre with a hyperbaric chamber on site. Everyone who works there is super friendly. I have food allergies and I was able to eat safely thanks to Arturo and Carlos who took excellent care of us. We are first club members and the first club bartenders, Fabian and Manuel, are great people and great mixologists too. I enjoyed my graduation trip and will definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Coryne B,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay of diving and relaxation!

Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We have been twice to this resort. The staff is super nice and friendly all the time. They got new decor in the lobby and it looks great! My daughter turned 11 while we were there and they made her a special birthday cake! The resort is beautiful, clean and the food is fine! I wouldn't say it was great nor would I say it was bad. We eat very high quality, organic food at home and we could find something we liked at every meal! We loved the fire show on the beach! The rooms are basic. We love the thatched roof and the feel of a more rustic, tropical resort, rather than a huge high-rise hotel. The cleaning staff made fun animal-shaped towels and everyday was a different animal. This part of Mexico is humid and always has a musty smell to me, even in the higher-end resorts. Maybe because of the thatched roof, the humid/musty smell is a bit stronger. It didn't bother anyone in my family, but I did notice it. The pools were clean, the beach was gorgeous. Some of the entertainment in the evening is loud, but it only last for an hour or so and over by 9 pm. Anna McIntosh is the photographer and did a fantastic job for a great price! For the value of this resort, it can't be beat! Our family had a wonderful time!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear TravelOnMyMind07,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay.

Willowick, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Keeping in mind, You get what you pay for, this was a a fantastic property. There were things that were lacking, but overall this is a wonderful property for the money. The ONLY reason we will not go back has NOTHING to do with the resort, but rather because we do not like Cozumel. We prefer to stay on the mainland as things are closer (the downtown, transportation for excursions, ease of getting to and from the airport) I can say with certainty, if the Allegro was on the mainland, we would come back again and again.

Having said that these are the biggest pros and cons:

Pros- Everything was quite close so you don't waste time walking to and from your destination. The grounds were so well kept. (A couple that has been coming here for 20 years told us it was so much prettier before Hurricane Wilma but she said the foliage is all starting to come back and it will be very exciting to see it when it does fully come back). In addition to the facilities, they were all clean and maintained. Some things were dated, but worked well and served their purpose. The rooms were a good size and the hammocks were a really nice touch. We enjoyed a nice afternoon in them the day we had to stay out of the sun as my husband was sunburnt. The drinks were very good. Not watered down and had a good flavor. I would recommend bringing a tervis tumbler or something of the like as they are bigger and you can get a little more drink at once. The drinks are all served in plastic 8.0oz cups so that they don't break by the pool. We were also very impressed with the kids water park. It was bigger than the kids pool by our house. It was located far enough away from the beach so that even if a child were to dart away from parents, there was no imminent danger.

Cons- The food is so-so. But we learned that the cooks rotate from resort to resort on the island so there can be fluctuation in the food. It was okay, but by no means the best food I have ever had. It did NOT make us sick by any means either. The beds are hard. Again, not the worst bed I have ever slept on, but not that great. I can't really think of any other cons for us.

This is a perfect property for someone who likes the island or has never been to it and it looking for something new. The staff is very helpful and if there is anything that you need, it is provided for you. It is a 4 star resort and meets every one of the criteria. Be warned, this is not a 5 star resort, if you are expecting something along those lines, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: The rooms by the beach can be a bit noisier if you like to take afternoon naps as they are so close...
Dear NickAndJacqui2014,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and honeymoon with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We are most proud to have been your choice for such an special ocassion. We understand what you say about our location, Cozumel Island is indeed a more lay back, has a "far from the world" kind of feel to it. You can still choose our sister Property Allegro Playacar in your next Mexican vacation!

Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have been traveling to Cozumel for over 15 years and absolutely love the island, people & restaurants, We will be back, just not to this resort. We arrived in the evening and were greeted with a rum punch, check in was efficient & well organized. Our room was clean & provisioned with snacks, pop, water & a bottle of tequila. We were on the upper (2nd) level shared with 3 other units all under the same thatch roof which smells like a barn when it rains. We may as well be all sharing one room, we were able to hear everything going on inside & outside our room (EVERYTHING)! The beds were very hard, make sure to request a mattress pad upon arrival, it will help.
The food was the worst we have ever had to endure at an all inclusive property, (tip: take some bananas off the breakfast buffet and have the bartenders add it to a milkshake for kids that are fussy eaters). The location of this property is another big drawback, make sure to get a car rental for a few days so you can experience what this gem of a island has to offer. Over the years we have discovered Coconuts, a fun spot for lunch, Casa Denis, the oldest family run restaurant on the island & Casa Mission for a special dinner, well worth the cab ride in (tip: go online & get a 20% off coupon, try the sexy coffee for dessert & the coconut shrimp are a must!).
The resort does have its good points being the beautiful, well kept grounds, great play areas for children, beautiful beach & wonderful staff!
If you have already committed to this resort, rest assured you can make the best of your stay by requesting a lower level room, taking advantage of the al a cart restaurants, bring your own bottle of favorite spirit, get up early to reserve a spot on the great beach & travel with no high expectation & you will not be disappointed :-)

Room Tip: Request a lower level room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Liz B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for not having met your expectations, but are pleased however you are to return to our beautiful Cozumel Island.

Verona, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I will start this review by saying I have stayed at a lot of resorts/hotels/all-inclusives.

My girlfriend and planned this trip solely for the purpose of diving. We booked online and got a dive/stay/eat package at an affordable price. I read many reviews on here before going and I was expecting a very mediocre stay. The stay exceeded our expectations.

Food - The buffets and snack bar had decent food. It was kind of bland, but I think that is more hotels in Cozumel in general. I never went hungry, but also was amazed by the buffet food. The two "reservation" restaurants (Mexican and Oriental) were REALLY good. If you go, make sure you make reservations to these restaurants. You usually have to make them the day before or same day (we tried to make the reservations for the week when we checked in, but they told us we couldn't make the reservations until the day before the dinner).

Staff - Everyone at the resort was amazing. The staff was very friendly and funny. There were not a lot of people when we went (May 10-17), so we never really had to wait for food/drinks too long. I did notice that many of the same people were at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and serving at the bars. The staff work really hard, but I am guessing the resort as a whole is understaffed. This means it might take you a few minutes to get a drink (get over it and enjoy the beautiful weather!).

Entertainment - The shows were a bit different from what I have seen at other resorts. They entertainers did a good job, but the shows were not as elaborate/"showy" as what I have seen at resorts in Cancun and other places. Again, we did go in the off season. Also, the daytime party life was lacking, but it was more relaxing that way.

Rooms - The rooms were pretty standard, except that the mattresses were really firm (my only real complaint).

Check out my other review if you want information about Pro Dive Mexico (they are the dive shop onsite) - Awesome people/operation.

Short Version - If you a fussy/not well traveled/expect everyone at a resort to kiss your butt, don't stay here, you won't like it. If you are looking for a good vacation and can go with the flow, check out the Allegro, you will probably love it!

Room Tip: If you are diving, ask to be closer to the dive shop. It made for shorter walks!
Dear ItalianMaverick,

West Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

room was good, clean and everything worked, but tv was from last century and small. Food was supposed to be available except for between 5 and 6, but there was nowhere to get anything for that hour, and if you were diving, that could be very inconvenient.The one that was supposed to be open till 5, I was there at 4:45, and everything was put away already and getting cleaned up. When I got back in from the afternoon dive, by time i showered and changed, I couldn't eat until the other restaurant opened, and they didn't open on time. After an afternoon diving this wasn't just inconvenient, it was dangerous. Food was not anything special. It was convenient for diving, but it was a 20 to go into town and 20 back if you wanted to see anything but hotel.

Room Tip: If you are diving, the rooms with higher #'s are closer to dive shop and ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Dale M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for not having met your expectations.

Allegro Cozumel

Been to Allegro Cozumel? Share your experiences!