“average all inclusive resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Cozumel

You added Allegro Cozumel to your Saves list
Allegro Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.5 Carretera Sur San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Orillia, Canada
“average all inclusive resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Allegro Cozumel is a great location, amazing white sand and beach. I found some of the front desk staff terrible to deal with. we had little biting fire ants in our bed for 3 days, I told staff and was told they weren't ants and that it was coming from the roof since it was made from some sort of leaf. after being bitten and kept up most of the night for 3 nights I finally caught them to show staff exactly what I was dealing with, she dismissed them as ants n said it was dirt, I pointed out they were crawling in the bottle and it was ants and not dirt. I had another staff member look and he immediately said they were ants and had our room sprayed keeping the ants away for the remaining of our stay. the drink service was good depending on what time of day you were eating. the food is not great but edible, if you don't like different types of food there was some limited American types of food available. we did some extra activities and were not informed of the extra fees after we had already paid for the activities such as the tequila tour we paid 100$ for the tour but still had to pay an additional 20$ a person for entrance fees, we paid for snorkling and had an additional fee added on after we paid 45$ a person to get on the boat. if you want to do anything extra inquire about extra fees on top of your said fee. other than that the resort was great, the location was amazing, and the people were very friendly

Room Tip: ask for a ground floor room if possible
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here the last week of February with another couple and came home happy and relaxed! What more could you ask from a vacation.....

Check-In was painfully slow, but none the less, we both had rooms, one in a lower unit, the other in the upper unit. DEFINITELY the upper unit was more desirable. The thached roof with the hammock swingning under it, the raised ceiling inside the room, made for a more private and spacious environment. When we would meet up for a drink before dinner we would do so on the upper unit balcony. Also you could hang your wet clothes and towels on the railing of the uper units. Since there is no clothesline within the rooms, this was a plus for those with the upper units. Note: There is no insulating values on which this units were designed or built. You can actually hear everyone else around you in your room. I could hear people brushing their teeth. Seriously. Not sure how the resort could address this issue, just be warned if you are a light sleeper to bring ear plugs.

Front desk staff was awesome and always willing to help with any questions. Booking our a la cartes was ok, the standard wait in line to schedule your dinners, but resort must have been full since we only were able to get into 2 of the 3 that were allotted. Both nights we ate at the Mexican restaurant - since we ate there twice and the 4 of us tried different things (and we shared to taste test) I feel that I can say with complete certainity that the Breaded Mexican Fish and the Beef Alambre were top shelf. OUTSTANDING SERVICE from LANDY! She was awesome, and feel that she shoudl be commended for her excellant customer service and tequila suggestions!
We cannot comment on the Japenese since we did not eat here. Buffet was ok, tasted better than it looked most times, which is a plus. Food was good, but selection was minimal with high repetition. 2 of us lost weight, and 2 of us gained weight, so take that for what it is worth. Lunch buffet at the beach/pool area was probably the best of the buffet food by far.

Bar service - great, once you got to the bar. The beach bar is in desparate need of another bartendar. Suggestion to Allegro Cozumel - Install a self serve cerveza tap. This would decrease your line-up substantially. The bartendar at the beach bar worked NON-STOP. I have no idea when he even took a break....if he ever did. As for the rest of the bars - each one of them could have used one additional bartendar, but none as desparately as the beach bar. I truly hope that they take this advice into consideration. I thought the bartendar there would pass out from how hard he had to work in the heat.

The disco (using this word for it) was more of a lounge with incredibly powerful speakers. We went 3 nights, had fun none the less, but we always did tequila shots after dinner, so feel that this played a part in our "disco" fun. There was food available late night at the disco, was always cold, but we knew this so we were prepared with Pringles!

Beach was great - sand/shell mixture, and water was warm and inviting. The colors of blue changing from the shore to the horizion. Not much for snorkelling within resort boundaries. Would recommend a tour if snorkelling is on your to do list. We walked down to Planacar beach club and had a 2.5 hr snorkel back to resort following the current, not too much to see, a few angel fish, barracuda, trigger fish, sargent majors and chubs. But was nice to see the other resorts along the walk. Allegro Cozumel definitley has the nicest beach in my opinion.

We took a cab into town a few times, had some great food and drinks, along with some entertainment, we went on the ferry over to Playa and went south to Tulum area. We also rented a car across the street at Alamo for a day trip - was a great way to see the whole island and swim on the east side. Beautiful waves to play in on that side.

Think this resort would make a perfect family vacation as it appeared as though it catered to children under the age of 6 or 7. They had plenty of areas for kids, and think this would be a great spot for younger families.

Good points - Staff worked really hard to accomodate its guests
Great upper level units and their balconies
Mexican Restaurant service and food

Improvements - Requires additional bar staff
Provide more selection at breakfast and dinner buffet
Figure out how to make the "disco" a real disco
Soundproof buildings (not sure how this would be possible, but is a problem)

So all in all I would rate the Allegro Cozumel a 6.8/10
For a great deal, it is definitely worth the trip - go enjoy yourself on the Isle of Mexico

Room Tip: Upper Level
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Lago Vista, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed at Allegro Cozumel from Feb. 16-22. I was also a little nervous after reading some of the reviews prior to our trip, but we found the place to be very pleasant, clean, and staffed with the hardest working staff we have ever seen anywhere. These people are in the lobby, at the pool directing activities, at the buffets, everywhere from dawn to dark! And they are all so polite and want to make sure you are having a good time. The food isn't 5 star, but it was plenty good. The beach is absolutely beautiful - just wish there was a little more shade to go around. Jorge, the entertainment director keeps everything fun throughout the day and every evening with a different activity to enjoy. I would recommend this place for people of all ages. The activities are strictly optional and with three pools, you can move away from the noise if you wish. Bottom line: it is a really fun place to kick back and have a good time.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I want to start by saying that overall my husband and I enjoyed out stay and the Allegro. The Beach was outstanding with a big area to swim and snorkel, was saw a small Sting Ray just in front of the resort. The pools are wonderful, the food is good. We didn't always love everything that we ate but we were always able to find something else that we did like. The rooms are very very small and the bed is hard. Even with the topper the bed was hard. The seat on the toilet does not fit so it feel unsanitary. The tub drains so slowly that you are standing in water ankle deep . These things are a problem for me. But.... I am used to a soft bed and I'm picky about the bathroom everywhere I go so if these things are not that important to you, the room will be fine. Staff was wonderful and helpful. Ivan done everything we asked of him and more. I give it a 3 star but it's probably more of a 2 and a half. The resort needs to be updated but for the money it's still a great value.

Alexandria, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The beach at the Allegro Cozumel is nice for swimming.....sandy, not rocky. However, you won't see a lot of sea life either. Plenty of activities in the resort to keep busy if you want to. Beds were very hard and uncomfortable. Food was average, fairly bland. Not what I expected for a Mexican resort. In comparison to other all-inclusive resorts I've stayed at, this one did not have much for entertainment staff. The resort was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. Air conditioning worked. Each room has a hammock on the patio/balcony. My teenage sons liked the giant outdoor chess board. My husband went scuba diving four times.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed at the Allegro 3 days ago. It was wonderful. If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot night and day and a 5 star resort, then don't stay here. This resort is for those who want to get away from the partiers and crowds. We found it to be relaxing and beautiful. We stayed here 10 years ago and I must say there have been improvements. The rooms are better (we actually stayed in the same room). They have added more building and the grounds are still as beautiful and well manacured.
The staff is excellent! Yolanda, our server for dinner, works harder than anyone I have ever seen. She remembers your name and treats you like family. Freddy, Eric and Raul at the upstairs bar are the best! Entertainment staff is unbelieveable and the dancers are sexy and talented! Jorge, David and Raul work hard to keep you entertained. Particia kept our room clean and well stocked. She made the most amazing towel animals and decorated our room with flowers!
Reservations at the 2 specialty restaurants were difficult but to tell you the truth the buffet was just as good if not better. The food was good and there was always something to like. I have food allergies but I just asked if certain foods contained them and they told me what to avoid and made something special for me too! Only complaint is that the pool restaurant should open earlier and also open for dinner. They should move the Mexican restaurant to the air conditioned room off the main buffet (just a suggestion).
My husband and I found the resort to be relaxing and romantic. We will definately return here again and again. I only sorry it took me 10 years to return here :( We have been to the Rui resorts, Bahia Principes, and Melias to name a few in the past 25 years this resort may not be as fancy but we were treated better here than any other hotel. Everyone is friendly and that inturn makes all of the guest friendlier. I would recommend this resort to people who want a down to earth getaway! Loved it!!!

Blue Springs, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed Feb 24th thru Mar 1st.

If you want 5 star restaurant's and have to dress up where ever you go and eat then don't look any further in this review.......... If you want the BEST beach any resort has to offer, if you want to kick back, relax, meet people from all over that are looking for the same thing as you, then book this place, you wont be 1 bit disappointed in the least...........

It is a 3 star resort, the staff is GREAT, the grounds are GREAT, the activities are GREAT, the beach is AWESOME, the pools are AWESOME, the drinks are GREAT!

The food by far is what is lacking here to make it that 4 star resort, we didn't go down to have 5 star meals, we ate when we were hungry....

The best thing we did was upgrade to a superior room, we had a fridge with water, beer, soda. our room was 6423 it was upstairs and we loved it, clean and exactly what we expected.

We met some great "New" Friends from all over the world and it was worth every penny we spent.....we WILL be back and the next time we will take the kids with us without question!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Allegro Cozumel? Share your experiences!