“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Cozumel

You added Allegro Cozumel to your Saves list
Allegro Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.5 Carretera Sur San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2004

We had a group of 9 people and 4 confirmed room reservations at the Allegro Resort Cozumel from 2/14/04 through 2/21/04. When we arrived from the airport at 12:30 am 2/15/04 we were informed that they had no room for us there, so they had transferred us to 2 (inferrior) hotels, the first for 5 nights and the second for one night. We didn't get any compensation for their mistake, only an "I am sorry" and a free taxi ride. Where I am from this not a good way to treat paying customers! If you have reservations there, beware!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2004

Lovely grounds, until tropical storm turned them into into a lake.

Second floor rooms definitely had leakage problems per report of several friends.

Our room was on the ground floor, which was adequate. Nothing fancy.
Repeat, Nothing. The TV had a strange habit of turning on at random times (including in the middle of the night) at full volume. This was very annoying. We eventually unplugged the thing. Our maid was excellent - left varied arrangements of flowers on our bed (even folded the clean towels into an elephant with flowers as the eyes one day).

Dive shop is expensive and rude. Two employees (one the manager, counting money) were clearly annoyed by our reasonable questions (which dive sites the respective boats were planning on visiting, for example). By good fortune, we met a FunJet employee who recommended Dive With Martin. DWM picked us up at the dock on time, had reasonably sized groups (never more than 8), had very knowledgable/pro-active guides, and was very affordable. 9 dives including one at night and two with an underwater VHS video-camera (run by the guide which was _amazing_) was cheaper than 6 dives with the resort. The service was amazing - the tropical storm prevented our guide from dropping off the tape at our resort on the morning of our departure - as such he dropped it off by car at the airport where we successfully picked it up.
Amazing service by Dive With Martin (which has a similar website).

Food. My wife and I are terrible food snobs, so we expected this would be our biggest complaint with the resort. However, the food was tolerable. With the large selection, you could always find something palatable. For example, they have a pasta bar in which you place your ingredients on a plate, hand it to the chef, they saute it and place your sauce on the pasta. Well, their ingredients are severely limited.
However, by taking the garlic butter and combining it with one of the dishes served elsewhere (tuna fish casserole), you could make yourself a tasty pasta dish.

Drink. Wine is $5 a bottle in town. Bring your own if you enjoy fine wine. Beer is of course tasty. Mixed drinks are of course too sweet.
They were not skimpy with the plastic bottled alcohol in our experience. Some drinks are tasty. They often ran out of glasses, thereby limiting your intake. Take home message, keep your glass hidden, so you have it when you need it!

Activities. Very nice, pleasant people who were very talented.

Beach. Excellent. Private palapas with fairly comfortable chairs.
Snorkeling in front was decent. There is no reef, however some interesting fish were seen. A baracuda was shadowing me for nearly an hour. This may or may not be enticing for you! I saw an eagle ray with a wing span as large as mine. I saw several trumpet fish and the cozumel area slug, I forget its name (polka-dots, yellow/white). I recommend snorkeling near the bouys after hours.

Pool. Very nice. But what's the point when you have the wonderful beach. HOWEVER, THE HOT TUB WAS NON-FUNCTIONAL for our vacation.

Overall, my wife and I had a very nice time. The diving made everything worth it! We would go again, but would also consider another resort.
The hot-tub was very disappointing.

Tim & Katie

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2004

We loved our first visit to this resort (it was call "Diamond" at that time). The second visit, about five years ago, was also very enjoyable. This third stay was disappointing in many respects. The resort has aged. The rooms have not been painted for many years and there are many generation of squashed bugs and other stains on the wall. (Also, there is still the open space between the units under the thatched roof and you will hear every word your neighbours say.) The paved walkways have not been resurfaced and are full of potholes that make dragging you suitcase difficult and turn into puddles after rain. The cleaning staff, the gardeners and the activities staff are friedly, hard working and obliging. The same cannot be said about the front desk. Whether you ask for a loan of an umbrella or a room to take a shower in after checkout (12 am) and before departure to the airport (6 pm) the automatic response is: No. Service is simply surly and the guest is considered a nuisance. We asked for a room on the second floor. After dragging the suitcases (throught the potholes) we realized that the room was on the first floor. So I vent back to the front desk and without a word was given the keys to another room, this time on the second floor. Why it was not assigned to us in the first place was never made clear. So I dragged the suitcases thtough some more potholes and went to return the firt set of keys. The restaurant building is still nice. But the food, while plentiful. is now quite indifferent. It used to be really an adventure to go from place to place along the buffet and to decide which appealing selection to skip. Now we found only a limited number of dishes that were pallatable. The waiter work hard and are eager to please but, somehow, service is still not up to par. Thus, e.g., you may be halfway through breakfast when coffee arrives. Then, you have to ask for milk or cream - another wait. Often spoons for stirring are not on the table. Should you want decaf coffee, that is a problem. Most waiters will say that it is not available. If you still insist, they will bring you a jar of instant coffee (which did not seem to be decaffeinated). Thus, rather than being a relaxing experience, you often walk out of the dining room slightly annoyed. The beach is very nice and immaculately kept. Whether this is suffiencient compensation for many small annoyances is for you to decide.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2004

I can't say that I didn't have a good time at the Allegro, but of the many times I have stayed at resorts in Mexico and Jamaica, our room at the Allegro was certainly the worst ever. I hated it!It was small, dark, you had to keep your blinds tightly closed so that people walking by couldn't see in, the drain in the bathroom floor overflowed when you took a shower, and that was the second room we had. The first night we stayed in a room with a view of the parking lot that was so close to the disco we had to wear ear plugs to get to sleep.While most of the staff was quite helpful, one older gentleman at the front desk was somewhat rude and not at all inclined to help. The beach was great, the snorkeling not as good as at the beaches north of town. A taxi ride to town was $15 dollars. The food was good. The drinks not so good.
Anyway, I would not stay there again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2004

My wife and I just got back(2/7-2/14/04) and wanted to let everyone know that this is a wonderful resort. The only explanation for the really bad reviews is it must be the competition or that some people are just too darn picky. The beach is probably the best on the island..large in size...plenty of palapas...lots of lounge chairs and of course beautiful water. Here's a list of things that were all good: 1.) Staff(very friendly) 2.) The room was plenty big and clean 3.) 2 pools..very nice 4.) grounds..well kept 5.) Food..loved almost all of it I could go on and on..but I won't...but...I would recommend this resort to all of my friends.

The only negative that we found was that you can hear your neighbors(and birds early in the morning) easily in the rooms.

Just make sure you bring your insulated mugs(32 oz works great) and tip the staff a buck or two once in awhile(they work very hard for little money). Enjoy your vacation and don't pay any attention to the negative reviews.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2004

My husband,18 month old daughter and I just returned from the Allegro cozumel on Feb 11th. We had a very nice stay. The weather was wonderful. The resort grounds were beautiful and very well maintained.
The pool area was awesome. This resort had a great atmosphere. The rooms are small but that didn't bother us as we only slept in them.
They are redoing all the rooms too! The food was typical Mexican resort food. We were quite happy with the choices and enjoyed our meals. They had a kids club and a kids play ground. The beach and ocean water was beautiful. You can't beat the Caribbean for the blue water. Cozumel is a gorgeous island!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2004

I just returned from a weeks stay 2/7-2/14 at the Allegro with my husband and another couple. I read all the other reviews and was worried about our choice. I'm glad we didn't take the reviews too seriously as we really liked the place. 1. Yes there was some sewer smell, but not too bad and not all the time. 2. We thought the food was good. We ate at the Mexican restaurant, buffet and snack bar. You have to remember this is NOT the US and the food is different, not bad, just different. PS: We had no problems getting reservations for the Mexican restaurant and we were dealing with Ricardo.The drinks were good and it you want them stronger, just ask them to put more booze in them. We brought our own insulated cups too. 3. The beach and water were the best. The pools were clean and beautiful.
4. The rooms were probably the only thing that keeps this resort from getting excellent remarks from us. Yes they are abit small, but they need updating badlly. However they were clean and we didn't have any problem with them, everything worked Ok too. We had an upper floor room and our friends a lower room. No the roof didn't leak when it rained and there were no bugs in the room. Loved the hammock on the patio. 5.
The grounds were absolutely beautiful and well groomed. After being at another A-I in Playa del Carmen, except for the rooms it was very comparable. The resort is located 10 miles from town, so it was nice and quiet and not thousands of people on the beach as at other places I have been. The evening entertainment was OK, it is the staff that puts it on. All in all we all would go back there again.

Been to Allegro Cozumel? Share your experiences!