“Best Beach & Staff on the Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Cozumel

You added Allegro Cozumel to your Saves list
Allegro Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.5 Carretera Sur San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Denver, Colorado
“Best Beach & Staff on the Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visit Cozumel every year and every year I stay at the Allegro. I love the staff - they are so friendly and helpful and really make you feel welcome! Anna and Sergio are part of the wait staff that are great year after year, as is Raul, the buffet manager. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept. The rooms are very clean and it is a quiet place to stay. The staff - did I already mention how great they are? And the beach - literally the best on the island!! White sand as far out as you can see (or swim!) and super clean and safe. Now, I will warn you that the food is nothing spectacular, but I never go to bed hungry! Keep in mind this is not a five star resort - it is an all-inclusive and they are trying to feed people who travel to Cozumel from -literally! - all over the world so the menu is understandably a bit "bland". But again, you can always find something to eat and many items are very good. The only other down side is that the beds are not comfortable. But again, this is not a five star resort and the rooms are exceptionally clean and well- kept. Other than the food and beds I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyplace better to stay! And for the price it is unbeatable in my opinion!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Dewey, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

You are greeted by timeshare sales people, so watch out. Watch out for the iquanna poop everywhere. If you are scared of big lizards everywhere better go somewhere else. The rooms are okay not much room for suitcases for two and your clothes but its okay. The beds are as hard as rock' the hammock was much more comfortable. Eat early if you do a night dive cause nothing to eat after 9 or so. Not much night life while we was there needs a bar by the beach and pool to stay open past 6. The pro dive shop is great have gotten to know them quite well over my past trips they even remember your name from 6 months earlier a++ operation great people. Great sandy beach. Overall not a bad place especially if you want a great dive operation

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We took a family vacation to Cozumel Allegro with my parents and our 3 children. We chose the Allegro because of the beach and the water park. Check in was a nightmare. I had requested 2 adjoining rooms because we have 3 small children. When we arrived I was told they didn't offer adjoins rooms and my husband and I would have to be split apart. After arguing for a long time we finally were given adjoining upstairs rooms. The resort is beautiful and the beach was breathtaking. This is where it stopped. The air conditioning did not work very well so we sweated the entire time we were in our room. The birds at 5 am everyday on top of our roof was awful. There is no privacy in the top floor rooms because of the thatch roof. Rooms seemed very small. Our maid was great but for the rest of the employees, they were overworked and unhappy and not friendly. It was hard to get anyone to get you ice or even a drink for that matter. The food was awful very little selection . We had rented a van and ate out everyday. I am not sure how people like the food here. I have been to lots of all inclusive and this was by far the worst. They only would have one bar open at a time and one bartender. Service was just nonexistent. The waterpark was only on 2 or 3 hrs a day. Kids club never opened and it was next to impossible to get reservations at the restaurants which other guest said they were not any better than the small Buffett. We loved Cozumel but would never stay at the Allegro even if it was free.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. They need a major facelift.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gabriela S, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Tacia30

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor

We apology for the inconvenience and delay you may suffer while you check in to assigned the room; we have some adjoin in rooms for some rooms category; sometimes depend of room category booked the assign is a little complicate. Our maintenance team is working to improve the air condition service for the rooms. I am sorry to hear about birds, because of our location the natural life are protected. In our thematic buffet service we offer variety of dishes.

We appreciate your review and hope to gives us the opportunity to serve you in the future
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at the Allegro May 17-22. I don't see how anyone could not have a great vacation here. Everyone in the group I was with had a great time and we didn't leave the resort for three days and always found something to do. The black light show and fire shows were fun at night. The grounds on the resort are beautiful and well kept. Each day I was there I discovered something new while walking around the grounds. I wasn't a fan of the giant iguanas walking around but some people like that. Most of the people here were an older crowd there for diving and snorkeling which I guess is excellent but I didn't do that stuff - just swimming. The beach here is awesome and I've heard it's one of the best on the island. I could always find a quiet place to lay out. The sunsets are beautiful and different every night and you can walk along the beach a ways each direction since there is nothing located right night to the Allegro on either side. The food is OK. I'm a somewhat picky eater and a vegetarian and I still found something to eat every night at the buffets but I could see how it might not meet everyone's needs. If you want alcohol there are several bars located throughout the resort and they can make pretty much anything you want which my group enjoyed. The hot tub near the beach isn't that great but the pools are all good and the resort is a great place for kids with the playground and water playground they have. The rooms are pretty just OK - yes the beds are a bit hard. No one in our group payed for Wifi and we all enjoyed being 'cutoff' from the internet etc for a few days. I did watch the television which always had something good on if I was in my room. The ground floor rooms lack privacy which was fine for us college kids but if you are a family I would stay on the second floor although I hear they have leaks in the roof when it rains. The water pressure and hot water was fine while I was there which was great since I need a good shower in the morning. I was worried about bugs at night but I never was bit while I was there outside at night which was awesome. Overall you get a great bang for your buck as long as your expectations realize that this is not a 5 star resort but great if you want to just hang on the beach and not in your room or at the restaurant. I loved shopping in San Miguel - you can take a Taxi into town if you want and it's pretty easy to get back and forth even if the Allegro is about 20 minutes from town. I would definitely stay at the Allegro again - we had a great time. :)

Room Tip: first floor rooms lack privacy . get second floor if that's an issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at several all inclusive in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen and until now have never been remotely disappointed. The entire stay at allegro was AWFUL, wrong type rooms, buffet food for breakfast and dinner that was so bad, we went to town to eat several times. I've heard about hard beds before and had not experienced them before. The beds were harder and more uncomfortable than the times I've gone camping in the mountains and slept on rocks. I found nothing about this resort that does not need changing. I could go on and on. My only comfort for the week was the GREAT TIME WE HAD DIVING WITH PRO DIVE.

Joe R.
Louisiana

• Stayed May 2013
Gabriela S, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear JoeWRider
We appreciate the time spent to write your review on TripAdvisor.
We sincerely apology that we do not met your expectation, the hotel has a quality plan for facities and services; we appreciate your review and rest assured that the management will take into consideration to improve.
We appreciate give us the opportunity to attend you again in the future.
Sincerely
Petawawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Have gone twice now first two weeks of January and will be returning next year. As for bang for the buck its right there. We got exactly what we paid for. If you want five star then get out your wallet and pay for it. Ivan and the staff are great. Dave the new manager seems a little held back but will stop and talk. The grounds are the cleanest of the resorts we have stayed at and we have been to Jamaica, Puerto Vallarta x 2, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata. The food choices, taste and value are great. The first year we were three couples that were joined by my daughter by herself, my son and his girl friend and another couple. My son is a fussy picky eater and had no problem finding something to eat. We had three days before the kids got there and then a week of go, go, go. When the kids left the six of us had time to rest and recoup. This year it was just us three couples and except for the odd two or three hour trip to town just laid on our backsides and let the resort cater to us. Drink service on the beach was as efficient as could be expected. The best part is this resort is the right size. Go to the pool or beach at any time and you will get a chair. No getting up at six to go put towels on chairs just to be on the beach. Room was always clean. Want something or need something and ask for it and it was delivered. Went fishing and seven of the eight that went caught something. San Miguel is a friendly little town with lots to see and free shows on Sunday night in the town square. The airport is small and you get through customs in a reasonable amount of time. Twenty minutes to the airport from the Allegro. The time share people are a pain just outside the lobby, but growl once or twice at them and they leave you alone. The SCUBA diving people are great and there is lots of fish to see in the swimming area snorkelling. All the trips pick you up at the pier right at the resort and we were never charged extra other than for the fishing trip. Freddy and the guys at the bar ensure you have full drinks and even at breakfast they slid us the odd alcoholic drink we requested. Never had to wait in a line more than three to four minutes. Our intent to stay three weeks so we can have a week with the grand kids. The kids area and pool is fantastic and we have not seen anything close at any other resorts so I will pay the money to bring them here. If I have to complain it would be to soften up the beds but that said they are quick to add foam tops if requested. Being a little older resort, repairs are needed and are ongoing. Oh yea almost forgot Ivan don’t forget the pizza!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade one room. You get away from the main entrance and some bird noise and you get a fridge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

First off I'd like to say that Cozumel is a beautiful place full of excellent people. I went down to Cozumel 11-18 May 2013 for the first time and met so many great people (vacationers, divers, and staff) - which made my vacation (alone) so much more fun.

The grounds at this resort are gorgeous. They spend an enormous amount of time trying to give vacationers the best visuals to go with their gorgeous beach. It truly is paradise. People like Xochilt, William, Umberto and the ringleader Diego make things happen for the guests and they make it look effortless. I miss you all.

Sadly the hotel was only 30 % full - a double edged sword.... it was super peaceful and tranquil...but the staff had been cut back and so were services: Only 1 a la carte hotel (Asian) offering and limited night life activities.

Accomodations on the visiter side are a bit dated and could use a decade or two updating but I was there to dive so I paid it little notice. There is an internet kiosk. NO wi-fi. Turn off your cell phone (3G mode) or you'll be in for a rude surprise when you get home. Again - no Wi Fi. Ask for a ground floor accomodation. Ask for a bed topper - unless you like it super firm. Be prepared to hear everything your neighbor does next door (from singing Saturday Night Fever tunes - yes it happened... to hearing them watch Big Bang Theory on TV.....Penny...Penny...Penny) you get the idea. Again I'll say I was there for the diving. The food was plentiful, and the staff is excellent.

Diving - AWESOME!!! Lee S for PRO DIVE was my DM and he is excellent. He may be moving to a different sister hotel next month so just remember that name - you won't go wrong. We had some of the most best trained and confident DM's. Some names that stand out for me:

Lupita - who manages the shop with an iron fist :) with "Turkish" and Joey.
Yu-Ying - huuuuge hug .... awesome gal with a huge heart and such a good instructor - she qualified me for my advanced open water - again huuge hug :)
Alex - Women want him, and men want to be like him lol Another great guy and instructor
Fritz - a very funny guy, sadly I didnt dive much with him
Marcus - a great guy and DM
and lastly but not least is Doug who is their videographer - he does up great presentations and DVDs of your dives on request.

If you're looking for a resort to "sun your buns", drinks crushed ice drinks, and melt your worries away... you cannot go wrong here. The best snorkelling, three pools, multiple hot tubs, a fantastic dive shop, the best beach in Cozumel, and the best staff await you.

Oh, and I highly recommend the "dirty monkeys" [Creme de cocoa, rum, cream, a banana, crushed ice]. Great for recharging after 2 tank dives :)

Cheers!

Room Tip: Ground floor - it avoids bird noises. Ask for a bed topper - beds are not plush No wi-fi. Turn...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Allegro Cozumel? Share your experiences!