“Another Visit - Another Great Time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Allegro Cozumel to your Saves list
Allegro Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.5 Carretera Sur San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #48 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Langley City, Canada
“Another Visit - Another Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our family just recently returned from our two week vacation at the Occidental Allegro Cozumel. First thing to say is that the staff are absolutely outstanding. They are friendly, helpfull and tend to anything you need help with. Recognition should be given to several employees, starting with Raul Hernandez - the Entertainment Manager. Raul the Food Manager, David the Operations Manager, Fernando, Felix, Alberto - Drink Magicians, Caroline and Anabel at Reception, and Arman- Waiter, Maitre De. These, as well as every other employee, made our stay welcome and will ensure that we come back next year. We were there just prior to High Season, so all the restaurants were not open. But when it is high season, there is the Oriental restaurant and the Mexican Restaurant as well as the buffet. All the meals were good, fresh and had a Mexican touch. Granted, because we were there in Low Season, the buffet does become a little boring - especially being there for two weeks. So we ventured out and ate out one night.
The beach is first class. It is cleaned every morning of seaweed etc. There are very little sellers on the beach. So no hassling!! Manuel, who has the painting kiosk on the beach will help with you painting. A great way to chill out on the beach, under an umbrella, with a Banama Mama (drink) and paint ceramic pottery. Very relaxing and a great way to meet people.
Our two boys - 9 and 7, love the pools and beach. The kids pool entertains them endlessly. They played in the ocean without us having to be swimming with them. The water is very calm and crystal clear.
The sunsets are postercard perfect every evening.
The dive shop is Class A. Their main objective is Safety. They are courteous and help in any way they can.
One thing I didn't like this year, as well as last, is the fact that the time share kiosk is right outside the main lobby. So the first thing you see, either by coming to or from the lobby is the time share piranas asking "Do you want a cheap jeep rental?" or "Do you want to go snorkeling?" Or just the constant glare from them. They are pushy and cause a little unpleasantness. The kiosk should be moved.
There is a zipline play area outside the main lobby that is not working any longer. It should be dismantled and a mini golf course should be added.
A couple of drinks to try are: Mexican Mudslide, Banana Mama, and Bahama Mama.
We loved our stay here and can't wait until we see our Mexican friends again at the Allegro.

Room Tip: Ask for Bed Pads - the beds can be hard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Polish first
Graford, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at Allegro Nov. 8th-15th 2012. Checking in at Allegro was hassle free. After checking in the Occidental Vacation Club people, who are located right outside the front office, held me up for about 15 minutes trying to sell me on their "timeshare". The lawn was well maintained throughout the resort. The kids pool was out of service while I was there. The rooms were nothing special but clean and a/c worked great. There was no hot water, only luke warm water, and water pressure was very poor. The activity pool is in need of a make over but kept clean. Breakfast was served buffet style. The same thing everyday, and cold. I never woke up early enough to have fresh eggs made to order so I was stuck eating cold french toast every morning. Some of the waiters would get drinks for some of the guest eating but I always had to get my own. Lunch was served in the same area as breakfast everyday, and served buffet style. It was also the same thing everyday, and was also cold. None of the daily activities ever interested me so I cannot say anything about them. Dinner was served upstairs every night above the main office. Which from my room on the water, was a pretty good hike to get there. It too was buffet, and although it was not always cold, it was still the same thing every night. The bars were as bad as they get. I do not drink hard liquor so I was stuck drinking draft Modelo. They will tell you that it is Corona, but one of the staff told me that it was actually Modelo. The bar staff by the activity pool were nice people but usually had to be found to get a drink. The upstairs bar was ok. Generally nobody went to this bar so it gave me little desire to go myself. The disco bar was decent, but again, nobody was ever there but the staff. After the sun went down the resort shut down. One night they had a fire show on the beach and that was the only night activity while I was there. I would not reccommend this resort to any of my friends or family, and will definetly never return. It's safe to say that I will never vacaton at any other occidental facility either.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not at the Allegro Cozumel resort
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Cody S,

I apologize that our resort did not meet your expectations. We are sorry for the discomfort the Vacation Club representatives, who are the timeshare people you mentioned, caused you., They are supposed to be there to inform new guests of all that Occidental Hotels & Resorts has to offer. Please know that I’ve addressed your comments with their manager to look into how his staff is approaching guests.

The kids pool was undergoing a scheduled thorough cleaning, which involves draining the pool, scrubbing it, refilling it and treating the water. Though it is a long process, we do this to ensure that the water is safe for everyone to enjoy.

Regarding the shower, I have shared your comments with our maintenance team, and they have looked into the pipes in all the building and assured me that hot water has since been functioning properly.

It surprised me to read your comments about our dining as we offer many options to guests, and strive to provide an array of choices at the buffet restaurant, Topaz. Breakfast is served at Topaz from 7:00 to 10:30am. Daily During this time we offer a large fruits bar with yogurts and nuts, an egg station that prepares fresh omelets, or eggs any style, and to accompany the eggs, we provide bacon, sausage, ham, mushrooms and other vegetables. We also serve, pancakes and desserts.; All foods are replaced until breakfast ends at 10:30am..

For lunch, we offer different daily dishes at Topaz made from fresh ingredients. I’m sorry if you were not satisfied with these options. Guests can also have lunch at our snack bar, which offers a large gourmet salad bar, sandwiches, and light dishes. For dinner, in addition to Topaz, guests have the option of dining at our two specialty restaurants: La Troje, which serves traditional Mexican cuisine, and The Oriental. I’ve shared your review with our Executive Chef, who always appreciates guest feedback.

Regarding the beer served at our bar, please know that we only serve Corona and not Modelo. I am sorry to read about your frustration with the staff at our various bars. I have met with their manager so that he may look into any issues.

Thank you for your feedback on evening activities. Our Fun Club team does offer a different show every evening, including fire shows, which I’m happy to hear you enjoyed. Other popular shows and evening activities include dance lessons, a black light show and karaoke night. I have met with our Fun Club Manager to address your comments and see if there is more we can do in the evening.

I am truly sorry for falling so short of your expectations. I hope you will visit us again and give us another chance to welcome you.
Abilene, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

After reading all of the reviews (the good bad and ugly) we decided to go with the Allegro, but were sadly disapointed with this resort. The bad reviews were unfortunately correct. First of all let me say that the beach location was very nice, good sand and pretty water---although we only got to snorkel one day due to the high winds the rest of the trip. We went November 5-9 ("slow season"). Everything was closed. When we first arrived and checked in we requested a 2nd floor room...and were told that due to the off season all upper floors were unavaliable. So then before we even made it to the room we were stopped for 20 minutes by the "time share" first club staff---sell, sell, sell.....just wanted to go to our room and begin our vacation. The room was okay, nothing special, but clean.....some mold on the bathroom wall but it was alright. We then headed straight for the "restraunt"...open air "snack bar" with buffet. I can tell you the only thing that was remotely appealing was the stale chips and cold cheese sauce. The bar staff was friendly but you had to wave to get their attention (take bigger cups for your drinks so you don't have to deal with going to the bar as often). The only bar that was open was at the "snack bar". We got our hopes up for the next meal (again back to the "snack bar" buffet---as this was the ONLY food place open) Same food with different sauces, and cold. This was how it was every meal! Breakfast was decent, but go early if you want any eggs----and keep in mind it's going to be cold. If you want a really good HOT meal ---go right down the beach to Mr. Sancho's and ask for Juan. Worth the walk! The one night that they opened the "topaz restraunt" we expected to finally have some good food, maybe hot--is that too much to ask?.....Well, it was a different place but same buffet---and I kid you not, the same food from lunch---different presentation. We would have loved to see authentic Mexican dishes, not bad hot dogs and mystery meat hamburgers or stale chips with white sauce for breakfast?! Where was the guacamole and chips and hot sauce and tortillas?! Okay here is the secret if you do decide on this resort-----Coconut ICE CREAM.....they will tell you they don't have it, but they do! Two waiters lied to us when we asked for some (we saw a lady get a cup of it the first day)....It is behind the buffet line in the Ice cream cooler....we handed the manager a $5.00 bill and sure enough he produced the ice cream, this is the only thing that actually tasted good at this resort.
The pool is in bad need of a refinish, and the hot tub was closed the first two days---after that it was cold. Forget getting served a drink at the swim up bar---it's as if the bartenders are inconvenienced by the patrons. On two different occasions we filled our own glasses from the beer tap after waiting so long...and that reminds me, the only beer is Corona.
We wish we had trusted our gut after reading the bad reviews----Would not return to this resort or recommend it to any of our friends. The only thing this resort has going for them is their beach location.

Room Tip: I would suggest upgrading or trying the First Club if you are okay with the time share set up A bas...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Meagan F,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Let me begin by apologizing for the delay in my response. I was sorry to read about your disappointment in your stay with us. While the hours of our facilities do change during low-season, we still offer our guests a full-service resort. In fact, some guests prefer to visit us during low-season as our staff has the opportunity to offer even more personalized service. During this time, we alternate dinner service among our three restaurants: Le Buffet and our two specialty restaurants, La Troja and The Oriental. On the nights that Le Buffet is open, our chef features authentic Mexican cuisine, in addition to cuisine of other countries. La Troja also offers authentic Mexican cuisine, but it is a different menu than that at Le Buffet. No matter which restaurant is open, we always ensure a warm meal for guests. Two of our four bars are closed during low-season. However, during the day the snack bar is always open for light fare and every evening we open the disco bar. I apologize if you were not made aware of options. I have spoken to the front desk staff to ensure they properly inform all guests of our amenities. I have also met with our executive chef to share your feedback on the food.
I sincerely apologize for the discomfort the First Club staff caused you. First Club staff members are supposed to show new visitors our facilities and introduce them to all the different services we offer and then to invite them to become members of the vacation club. I have met with the First Club manager to discuss how his staff can best serve our guests.
Regarding your experience with the coconut ice cream, I have met with the Food & Beverage Manager to look into what happened. This is the first we have heard of such a situation. We do have ice cream, which is available to all guests. I am sorry for any inconveniences you may have experienced. I also discussed your feedback about the service at the pool bar with the Food & Beverage Manager. I was surprised by your comments on this as our staff is usually extremely attentive to guests. He has assured me that he is working with the staff to guarantee they maintain the high level of service we are known for.
Regarding your feedback on the hot tub, please know that as soon as we read it, we sent our maintenance team to look into the issue. They have since repaired the hot tub and we have not had any further complaints.
I am truly sorry for falling so short of your expectations. I hope you will visit us another time so that we can show you the wonderful vacation we are accustomed to providing.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just got back from a fun week in Cozumel. The resort is perfect for Divers. The dive shop on site is excellent. It is close to all dive site locations.
Rooms are dated but still OK. We paid to be part of the first club. This is a must! The bar there is stocked with all the top shelf liquors you could want and the staff is very accomodating. So bring a travel drink mug.. the regular bar liquor sucked. The season was a slow time. All the restaurants you would make reservations for were closed, As well as some bars. So the meals were very much the same everyday. How many ways can you make chicken?
The main pool needs to be refinished and the swim up bar wasn't staffed well.
My biggest dissapointment were the hot tubs. The one by the first club was never over 90 degrees. The one by the ocean was only warm if they added hot water every day. Really the ocean hot tub is one of the reasons we picked this resort.
We will go back for the diving.. and the staff was great! And, you won't gain any weight from the food.

Room Tip: Pay to upgrade to first club!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cary Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The staff ( waiters, bartenders,maids and front desk) were great, the resort offers a lot to do for familys and couples, the problem is that right after checking in as you leave the lobby the occidental vacation club staff intercept you and the pressure starts to visit their new resort and to join the vacation club seems like the old time share game I would like to relax after traveling rather than be bothered by the hustle, also the resort needs to be refurbished the rooms seem tired and have not been upgraded, the amenities are good and as I said the staff could not be better, but they need some help from management to sell the resort

Martin P. Gierut
Architect NCARB. ALA.

Room Tip: I would up grade to a suite if possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
La Plata, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

took my BFF and goddaughter and spent 8 days during slow season, it was 8% capacity full. Was nice to have place to ourselves, but.......... only had 1 restaurant open per meal, and i often walked away hungry. However, the staff was wonderful and really made our vacation wonderful. Madeline and Danny in first club and D the bartender were beyond wonderful. The kiddie water slide was a highlight of trip. The food was good at breakfast, but lunch and dinner left much to be desired. NO ICE CREAM! no pizza, and several of the restaurants food was way over cooked. The snorkeling trip offered by the hotel is better next door at Grand. We loved the member party and band at first club was best i have seen. Definately drive into town on Sunday, best day to shop as no cruise ships, also loved seeing all the turtles. Would i go back same time next year, maybe, if i bring snacks!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
nova scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived in the late evening feb 11-18, 2012,.... the front desk was prompt, friendly & curtious. Informed where to obtain calling cards (beside the front desk and the phone to use). We were taken to our basic superior room #1712, King bed, clean and bug free, maid very attentive, considerate and honest. We enjoyed that it was a smaller type resort with buildings ( approx 4 to 6 units each) darkening curtains, working air conditioners and a electrical plug with 110 watts to use. Each unit had a hammock on a small veranda or balcony with two lawn chairs (nice touch). The food was good, I did noticed there was bacon only for those early risers. all in all not a large menu but enough to satisfy most people. The al la cart restaurants must be booked in advance. The bar tenders are good to all (regardless if you tip or not and appreciated them if given(American dollars are used). The beach was lovely, clean with plenty of shades available, no problem getting lounge chairs or clean towels and our friends enjoyed the snorkling. As for the vendors all that was necessary was a "no thank you" I liked this resort and may return again...the vegetation and surroundings beautiful. There was a nice adult pool and a very fun children area pool. The night disco is small but was fun, a place to meet other guests. It is a safe and caters to tourist town, most of the cruise ships dock in cozumel. Not much going on in the evening but during the day if you are fun at heart try to make it to "Carlos & charlies" restaurant (a bit of a tourist trap) but lots of fun. Like any resort bring sun screen, bug spray(around the vegetation or in case of sand flees) I usually take a few extra facecloths and a travel mug with a lid for the beach. They supply some soaps but usually bring my own, Our departure was late afternoon. The main desk provides you (when booked on a first come first served bases) a private room for 1 hour to get ready for departure. The weather was amazing ,sunny and hot during the day and some rain while we slept. The Iquanas at this resort are big as cats and small dogs, they won't hurt you but were around the walkways. One more thing... not a lot of walking required to get around this resort everything is within a short proximity of each other. Enjoy your vacation!!!!!

Room Tip: Tip....We had a basic room (Superior) #1712 which was adequate in size, clean, King bed, A/C Great l...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Allegro Cozumel? Share your experiences!