“Needs a serious renovation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Cozumel

You added Allegro Cozumel to your Saves list
Allegro Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.5 Carretera Sur San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
cedar falls IA
“Needs a serious renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Great beach. Fantastic for shelling and sandcastle-building. Bland but plentiful food. Note that unlike some resorts, there are some down times. As I recall there is no restaurant between 10:39 AM and noon, and again from 4:30 pm till 6 pm. Not terribly inconvenient, but worth noting. The staff was generally friendly and accommodating, and the children's playground and waterpark/pool was fantastic for my first-grade son. Bed was a tad uncomfortable, but you get what you pay for. We paid 102 per night for a 12-night stay with two adults and a small child, and I thought it was reasonable. The place was old, and much in need of repair. Places were cordoned off in yellow "se prohibe pasar" tape, especially on recently fallen wooden staircases.

Breakfast was excellent. The egg woman was friendly and her kitchen sink omelets were just the ticket, along with the pasty mashed black beans and salsas verdes y rojas. The fish there was always excellent. Avoid the "chinese" dishes. Cervesa was Corona, which is nasty in my opinion, but I realize many gringos love it and think that Corona is "good" mexican beer, so that may not be a put-off for some. Their only red wine was a hearty BC varietal, with a strong metallic finish, but after a couple of glasses you start to get used to it. The JonRon daquiris and tequila cocktails were just what the shrink ordered, and flow pretty freely from morning till 11ish, as I recall.

It gets noisy, as it's not strictly a diver's joint, as are some of the lower-end all-inclusive joints closer to san miguel, and folks go to bed a bit later, and make lots of noise till they do go to bed, and the walls are a bit thinbut the poorly-modulated, amplified disco music dies down by about ten, so as long as you keep your TV volume up loud till then you're okay.

I did not dive with the shop, Pro Dive, so I can't say whether I liked them. I was put off by the people there within the first sixty seconds after meeting them, and decided to walk 400 meters down the beach to Dive Palancar, where I was greeted much more warmly. The 22 dives I did during this Cozumel vacation I did mostly with Dive Palancar. I also did a few dives with another outfit in San Miguel on previous trips to the island. But that's no big deal, as any operator will pick you up at the Allegro pier, on Mexican time of course, but for free and gladly. As an aside I would definitely recommend checking out Dive Palancar if you're staying at Allegro but are not impressed with Pro Dive.

My non-diving wife and son loved it more than the other places we have stayed in San Miguel, mostly for the beach. And the children's park really made it for them, especially on those mornings when I was out from 9ish till 12ish diving, which was every morning. And we rented a little ghetto Nissan Tsuru, so it wasn't too much hassle getting into town to shop at Mega or the touristy shops on the plaza. I'd recommend at least getting a cheapo car if you're a fan of going into town from time to time, as taxis aren't cheap on the island and Allegro is sort of out in the sticks.

The little gym in the front is excellent, if you're into that sort of thing. AC, agua pura, fresh towels, free weights, stationary cycles, treadmills, butterfly machines, etc., and a big flat LCD TV that you can watch in refrigerated comfort. Not that I'm into working out, but I've stuck my head into a few hotel fitness centers, and I'd have to say that this one was fairly impressive.

Lots of small spots to walk around and torch a reefer or two, and no one bothered me. Overall it was mellow. It's the sort of place where if you don't like the first room they give you, then ask for another, and another, till you get one that's acceptable. That's not uncommon in Cozumel, really.

What I'd do: fire the snobby foreign management. Keep the friendly and industrious mexican workers, get rid of that foreign-run dive shop and replace it with a mexican outfit, and invest a few million in structural and aesthetic fixes. And maybe do something about that tawdry sound system. But overall it's not too shabby for the price. We'd consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear elgringoperdido,
Thank you for your detailed review and recent stay. We really regret to know that we were not at your full satisfaction and we really thank you for taking the time to give us your perception and full opinion in many aspects of our services and facilities. All your positive and constructive recommendations will be taken into consideration in an effort to meet all our guest’s expectations.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to host you back in the near future.
General Manager Occidental Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Hurst,TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have stayed at Allegro several times in the past few years, just got back from a short trip 8/12-8/15. It is such a shame how much this resort has went down hill!!! The food is absolutely despicable... I don't even think hogs would eat it. Thank goodness the gift shop sells pringles or else I think I would have starved. The best meal I had all week was at Coconuts on the other side of the island. The breakfast is horrid, very little to choose from. The omelets taste like they were fried in engine grease, the cereal is just poured in an un-sealed basket, and the milk is churning around in a "slurpee" type machine. The lunch and dinner menu items seemed to be consistently the same. The drinks were not much better... good look getting a drink at the "swim up bar'". The employees at the check-in desk are completely rude and careless. The only good thing this resort has consistently had is the best beach, but unfortunately that is not even enough to bring me back to this crack shack ever again!!! Your loss Allegro! BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay and feedback. After reading your comments we are very concern to know that we missed your satisfaction this time, we will take all your observations into serious consideration in order to improve our food and beverage service. We would like to keep your preference towards our resort and of course, if you consider giving us the opportunity to change the recent perception you have from our resort, on your next visit to Cozumel, feel free to contact us at (-------------)
Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to have a second opportunity to host you back in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This hotel was beautiful, clean, and right on the beach! The service was spectacular! My only complaint was the food. It was terrible for an all-inclusive resort! Much of the food at the buffet was the same from day to day. And what you saw in the dinner buffet was chopped up in the next morning breakfast. They need to add some basic staples like pizza and pasta. The dessert bar was horrible! It was a bad version of low-budget desserts! 90% of the desserts were made with a gelatin base....like gelatin fruit flavored everything! Yuck! They need to make cakes & cheesecakes & get an ice cream machine! No ice cream all week in the carribean? Crazy!! For an all-inclusive resort, they need to research what kinds of foods other places do! Plus, very minimal Mexican food on the dinner buffet! And lastly, the buffet runs on Mexican time-they always open 10-15 min late! And birds fly in & water drips in from the thatch roof open meal room!

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Becky_scuba,
Thank you for your recent stay and for your feedback. We are very sorry to read that we did not complete your full satisfaction. We appreciate your comments and observations about our food selection and restaurant opening; all of them will be taken into consideration in order to improve our services. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and he hope to have a second opportunity to change this perception in the future.
Bergenfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband, son and myself, took a family vacation for the first time in years. I am a world traveler, but my husband isn't. He wanted to go to Cozumel, so I figured, an all inclusive was the grand idea. The staff and accomodations were great. Grounds were well kept. We did have to keep reminding the room staff to provide 3 wash clothes, every time they cleaned the room. The beach was beautiful, calm clear waters. The pools needed more attention, for bugs were everywhere in the pools. The drinks at the bars were adequate. We lost power and water, while my husband was taking his shower, took all day for it to restore. Thank goodness for excursions. The food was terrible, because of this, I will never stay again. Old, dried out food, and not enough choices. Menu needs to totally be redone.

Room Tip: The refrigerators aren't totally cold, only chills enough to calm pallet. Ice only available at...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Trish H,
Thank you for your feedback and recent stay. We are very sorry to know the hotel did not satisfy your need as you expected. Be sure we will verify our food and beverage offering because as service orientated company we understand that we have to offer a variety to cater all of our guest. We really apologize for the power outage we suffered and of course we will have more attention to our pools cleaning.
Once again thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to have the opportunity to host you back in the future.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was our second trip to the Occidental Allegro. We had previously stayed in Nov. 2010 when my husband competed in Ironman Cozumel. Since returning from our Nov. trip, my now 4 year old talked about the Pirate Pool EVERY DAY and wanted to return so you can see what a great impression the pool made on my little ones. We were lucky enough to return last week, this time with friends and their children. Our party consisted of 4 adults and 4 children ages 4 and 2 1/2.

FOOD- I can't understand what all the complaining is about. The breakfasts were great! We always opted for the omelet station. There was also a variety of typical breakfast fare- pancakes, french toast, yogurt, cereal, and fresh fruit not to mention the dishes native to mexico. Lunch was great as well. Hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, salads and a fajita station. Dinner was the least impressive meal but we always found something to fill us up and make us happy. Maybe we just aren't picky people. Oh and none of us got even a touch of sickness.

BEACH/ POOLS- Beach is THE BEST! Gorgeous, gorgeous. And we could always find 4 chairs together under an umbrella on the front row. The Pirate Pool was super fun for the kids. We stayed there for hours and hours every day. We enjoyed the slides as well.

SERVICE- We never had to wait longer than a minute or two for drinks. We saw staff picking up cups from time to time. We were conscious of this so when we needed another round we would collect our cups and return them to the bar to help out. The employees didn't seem to be overworked or unhappy to me.

COMPLAINTS- The only thing I would complain about would be the pillows and the bed. We had a thicker pad on our bed so it wasn't so bad but by the 4th night I was missing my soft bed at home. The pillows in our room were really bad. I don't think they were as bad in our friends room though. We didn't complain but I am sure if we wanted to, we could have had them replaced.
We requested and were granted a room right next to the pirate pool. This was great in the day but not so great at night. The theater was close by and the live show was VERY loud from 8:30 until about 10:30. My kids were so tired that they were still able to fall asleep but it bugged me. Just be aware if you happen to get a room in that location. (I think our room was #1513)

I know this is long winded but I feel this resort is getting a bad rap. You know if you are staying there you most likely aren't paying a lot for your room. So maybe the dinners aren't the greatest but you aren't staying at a place claiming to have 5 star cuisine. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. You can't beat the beach and pools anywhere. We thought the price we paid per night was a steal for such a beautiful place. We are looking forward to when we can return again!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear amykf,
Thank you for your kind comments and recent stay. We are very happy to read that your family and you had a great time during your vacations and also very grateful for your preference and positive comments. I assure you we have taken notes about the pillows and room location and we will do our best on your next visit.
Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we hope to see you next year.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was our 11th time visiting the Allegro Cozumel Resort. Yes, that is correct....ELEVENTH! We absolutely love this place and are truly heartbroken everytime we have to leave. We spent a week there with our 7 year old son August 4th thru 11th. The trip this time was no different than in the past. Yes, the food may not be up to some peoples standards but c'mon folks....its not that bad. While it does get repetitive at times you will not go hungry. If you want 5-star food then Allegro (and the entire island of Cozumel) probably isn't the place for you.

Breakfast was (and always has been) the best meal of the day. Get the cooked to order omlet. The only 'wierd' thing this year was there wasn't any bacon or sausage. Not sure why....maybe too expensive to get down there these days.

Lunch has hamburgers and hotdogs for the kids. Sometimes chicken or beef nuggets. They always had fajitas, chicken, fish or pasta grilling for lunch as well so there was some variety.

Dinner buffet did lack on variety sometimes and the sides seemed to be the same too often but again, you will not go hungry. Albertos is about a 15 minute walk down the beach or a $7 taxi ride. It was OUTSTANDING and inexpensive. Nice escape from the buffett if needed.

The beach was absolutely amazing this year and the water was crystal clear. You can see a good amount of sea life right from the snorkling area off the beach. We saw several yellow sting rays, flounder, starfish and lots of little fish that will swim all around you right near shore. Take some bread out with you and they will go nuts. On our last day we same a small lobster and a small barracuda while snorkeling.

Rooms were good and although the beds may be a little firm they did not bother us. After a day full of activities you are usually so exhausted you'll sleep good. A/C worked great. Ask for an upstairs room and you'll get a thatch roof. If you are on the bottom floor it is a normal ceiling.

The bars were great this time. Freddie is the best bartender and has been there for like 15 years. He's awesome. Raul the Bar Manager is a great guy too and will do anything to make you time enjoyable. There are 4 bars on the property and for the most part they are open al the time except early in the morning. Swim Up Bar usually 10AM-5PM, Beach Bar from 12PM-7PM, Lobby Bar from 5PM to 10PM and the Disco Bar from 10PM to 1:30AM. There is no food after 10PM however except some snack items in the disco.

On the activity side, Raul and Alan are outstanding. They are SO good with kids and keeping things fun during the day. They are guaranteed to make you laugh! They are truly the reason we take our kids there every year. We love them! The pirate ship pool for the little kids will keep them occupied all day...lol. Evening entertainment consist of a mini-disco (games) for the kids, hosted by Alan. They love it! After that they do a more structured show (Mr. Allegro, Fire Show on Beach, Mexican Show, Caribbean Show, Anything Can Happen Show, Bingo Night, etc.). They will keep you entertained.

Keep in mind what you pay for this resort and set your expectations accordingly. We spoke with 5 or 6 groups this week who all were making their first visit to the resort. EVERY one of them said they would be back. We will as well.....not soon enough!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear paule4ou
Thank you for your posting and stay. Grateful we receive all your comments and your preference towards our hotel, it makes us feel proud that we could provide a fantastic family vacation for you again. We would like to thank you also for mentioning Freddy, Alan and both Raul’s by name, we will recognize their excellent job in our general staff meeting.
Once again thank you for your loyalty and for share your experience. We hope to see you next year at your home in Cozumel.
Pleasanton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Beautiful beach with calm water. Great location for diving and superb dive staff. No complaints there at all. The room was large and comfortable. All inclusive but the quality of food was terrible. We would have left for dinners but the $20 + cab each way was too unattractive. Even at the 2 supposedly upscale reservation places we got food we could not eat. All the food was very greasy, meat that could not be chewed or cut and things on the buffet that smelled old or out of code date. We all got sick at least once. Good luck getting a drink, the lone bartender has to keep leaving to collect dirty glasses off the beach to rinse and reuse. Very unfortunate since the property was so nice. I felt bad for the overworked employees who seemed to be trying to do their best.

Room Tip: well laid out plan, all the rooms seemed nice. We were given a free upgrade since we had teenage kid...
Dear SunLover500
Thank you for your review about your stay in our resort. We are very concern to read that we did not meet your complete expectations, in reference to our food offering and that you have found the cup cleaning procedure in the beach bar inappropriate, we do apologize. We do run a safety and hygienic program; we have an external company that audit all the food and beverage health handling. However I assure you we will reinforce the quality procedures in order to improve the services we offer.
Once again thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experience with others. We do hope to have a second opportunity in the future.
General Manager Occidental Cozumel

Been to Allegro Cozumel? Share your experiences!