“Good Value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Cozumel
Valladolid, Mexico
“Good Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Nice, spacious rooms in the hotel part. Clean. Working TV, nice cool air. There is a kitchen available for use (since it is also a hostel) with a really nice outdoor area to relax/layout. It is located one block from the ferry and just around the corner from downtown Cozumel. I will be staying here the next time I am in COZ.

Room Tip: 1A had a nice, big bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed in Cozumel for a couple of nights and this hostel was great, good price for backpacking and amongst lots of restaurants and close to the town center and port where you get off the ferry. We stayed in a double room which was really nice and had its own bathroom. The hostel also gives discount for the Hostel International card, and provided a breakfast each morning. Although we were far from the beach we rented a motorcycle from a store near the hostel and saw some beautiful beaches and had a great time. Would definitely stay here again,.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

The location is great.
Very clean.
Staffs are very friendly.
Easy to make friends.
Very cozy spaces to relax.
Good & free WiFi
They have a sharing kitchen.
Cheap:)

Dorm: 150peso per perso.
Double: 450peso per person

I will definitely come back here to stay!

• Stayed January 2012
NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

My latest experience with Hostelito was world's apart from my experience of last year. This year, maintenance and management issues abound.

1. The place is no longer very clean and well-kept. Hostelito is not yet shabby, but in two years, if the downward trend continues, it probably will be.

a. the kitchen area is deplorable. it is not thoroughly cleaned every day and the sink arraignment has numerous leaks and operational problems. (faucet, faulty traps, etc.)

b. In my room the fan and a/c unit were both decrepit. Bad bearings on both rendered them so noisy they were unusable.

c. Other room defects, such as warped doors and missing shower tiles, which last year we considered charming, have accumulated to the point of decrepitude.

d. Regular room service is apparently a thing of the past. I realize this is a Hostel, but the private room was said to include daily cleaning. We went 4 days between cleanings.

The staff are all still friendly and helpful. But overall, my most recent experience left me wondering if the ownership of the place had recently changed. If felt as if it had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Charlottetown, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This was a solid hostel. It is conveniently located quite close to the ferry harbour. I stayed in a private room on the third floor. With two people travelling together it was only slightly more to get a private rather than dorms. The dorm room was quite large with many beds. The private room was good, but the bathroom wasn't cleaned as often as I thought it should.
The hostel has a fully equipped kitchen which is helpful when saving money. There is a beautiful sitting area but the chairs/pillows are often wet or soggy. A nice hammock area improves the overall ambience.

Note: While this is a hostel review, I would like to point out that the beach is very far from here. Most beaches are on the other side of the island, and you must rent a car to get there. If you are thinking about staying at this hostel and walking down to an amazing beach, you may want to rethink your plans.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I been there tow days with tow friends, the staff and the owner are very nice and honest people, the room that we slept on was fine + air condition, free wifi and nice kitchen.

Good value for your money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This was my third visit to the Hostelito. I only stayed three nights this time because there were some issues that arose that I hadn't encountered there before. Bed bugs being the first of them. I know it is becoming a bit of a world epidemic so I wasn't too concerned, albeit getting more uncomfortable as the bites accumulated. Certainly it wasn't as clean as it has been in the past, but then I've stayed in places that were dirtier. Then there was someone who was stealing things in the dorm. The staff knew about it, were pretty sure who it was, and had informed other travelers of it, but forgot to tell me. I generally lock my stuff up as they have great lockers, but had left my basically new running shoes out after a long hike in the sun. They were gone within 2 hours and in broad daylight :( Then there was a young man who would sleep all day, and then be up all night with lights on, playing music and burning incense. I am not much of a complaint person and my Spanish is minimal, so I just decided to go elsewhere. I was looking for a monthly rental anyhow, as I was staying for 3 more weeks and there was no real good deal for extended stays at the Hostilito. I found a place at Casa Nostrom for 3500 pesos for the month, including everything - taxes, AC, wireless, two beds, TV, kitchenette, secure entrance. I would go back to the Hostilito as it is in a great location to down town and my previous experiences there have been great. I hope they decide to clean it up and tighten up on the rules a little so everybody can have a safe, enjoyable stay there.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the private rooms upstairs. If you are traveling with one or more others, I would...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hostelito Cozumel? Share your experiences!