“Amazing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pepe's

Pepe's
Ave Rafael E. Melgar Esq. Adolfo Rosado Salas | corner With Adolfo rosado Salas, Cozumel 77600, Mexico
9878720213
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #74 of 247 Restaurants in Cozumel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Pasta
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Since 1966 Pepe's has been a msut when it comes to dining in Cozumel. In 2012 it underwent a major remodeling. We added a brand new bar and an open terrace for "al fresco" dining. Pepe's is now a modern and vibrant restaurant with a menu that combines the best of the mexican, caribbean and American cuisine. Don´t forget to try our world knowned caesar salad and our Angus Quality American cuts. Happy hour at the bar daily from 6 to 9 pm.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Awesome food, great service, stellar views and atmosphere. We LOVED it. The lobster was fabulous and we truly enjoyed everything about the restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pepe B, Owner at Pepe's, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are truly happy you enjoyed your diner experience at Pepe´s and we hope we have a chance to serve you again.

marshall, mn
“Best Meal EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We recently went to Mexico on vacation and the #1 Thing on our LIST OF THINGS to do was to go to PEPE'S in Cozumel to enjoy a wonder dinner! And WONDERFUL it was! The service, the food, the wait staff, the wine! ALL WERE TOP NOTCH!! This was our 4th trip there and each one is as good....if not better that the last meal! We recommend it to everyone we know that is going to Cozumel! This time we stayed in the Riveria Maya and we took the Ferry over to Pepe's! Next year we are going to stay in Cozumel so that we can enjoy this resturant more that ONE TIME!! LOVE...LOVE..LOVE the caeser Salad that they make the fresh at your table and the BANANA'S FOSTER...Also made at your table! It is AMAZING!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pepe B, Owner at Pepe's, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. Please let us know when you´re coming to cozumel so we can have a courtesy with you.
Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico
“Awesome place and dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The place is amazing, perfect lighting, fine dining and waiter's attention.
Lobster, mushrooms stuffed with cheese and wine are exquisite. I highly recommend them.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pepe B, Owner at Pepe's, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review.
Austin
“A 20 Year Favorite Gone”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Have you ever had a favorite place that you look forward to going so much that it makes your whole trip? Well, that's what Pepe's was for my family. We saved the visit until the night before we left and celebrated with table side Caesar salad, Shrimp Jovial, bananas foster and flaming coffee. A lot of table-side fire dishes have satisfied and fascinated our family for years and the wait staff were chef-actors carrying out a performance art of yesterday. When my husband and I returned this past week for Carnivale, we couldn't wait to return to our favorite restaurant. When we entered we noticed a major upscale remodel and marveled at the new decor, but still expected to have the same food and experience we had come to know and love. We immediately knew this wouldn't happen when we saw the new menu. We asked our server what had happened and he explained that the owners were trying a new concept and hoped we would keep an open mind, so we did. The higher prices weren't as discerning if the food was worth it. Our server prepared an excellent table side Caesar salad, but that was the height of our meal.....it was downhill from there. My husband ordered surf and turf and I had a grilled fish with sauteed spinach. The fish was mushy and not flavorful and my husband's steak was under cooked and under seasoned. Too much effort is being put on the upscale presentation of the food with fancy plates, wood blocks, etc. and not enough on the food. No, we didn't complain as we noticed the table next to us sent back their steak entree and it took awhile for it to return. When we asked about dessert and he told us they no longer had any of our old favorites, we decided to call it a night. We eat at nice, upscale restaurants on a regular enough basis, but that is not what we expect when we come to Cozumel. Cozumel is primarily home to divers and cruise ship patrons, many of which eat on their ships at night. Being a diver myself, I can't imagine that the locals and ex-pats will be able to keep this new Pepe's afloat.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pepe B, Owner at Pepe's, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thanks for your review. we´ll take your observations into account.
Austin, Texas
“We have to poo-poo Pepe's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

As a one time resident to Cozumel I was looking forward to visiting again on Valentine's Night with a group of seven. It was a reunion after two years for us and some friends.
It had been re-vamped since our last visit and the decor seemed nice. However from start to finish the night was a DISASTER!
They did not have enough staff covering what was obviously going to be one of the busiest nights of the year. Our friends had reserved in advance and requested a specific table. When we arrived the table was occupied by another party. As the waiters ran around panicking we were eventually shown in to a separate private room as an after thought, we had been left standing in the busy restaurant for some considerable time. All well and good but the room was stale and the table covered in crumbs.

Our waiter was obviously stressed and as he eventually entered the room to serve us he was pursued by a very cross looking lady who worked there who was obviously chewing his ear off about something. They proceeded to have a conversation together in our now private salon whilst totally ignoring our party who just wanted to get the air con on and get some cool drinks. I made eye contact with her and smiled hoping she would drop it and let him get on and serve us, but I was just scowled at.

That did not go down well with the friends who had booked this meal.

We ordered champagne, it took ten minutes to organize, it was warm and we didn't get the correct number of glasses. We waited for the extra glass.

Already we were a little annoyed by the way the evening was going and unfortunately, like most things, when they start off bad they just get worse.

The waiter struggled taking our order even considering my husband and I speak Spanish, we had to reiterate everything several times - exhausting! Our food arrived at different times. My tuna was totally over cooked and I ordered rare, so I sent it back. I have NEVER sent a meal back in my life, but I was already so disappointed with the evening I was determined to at least enjoy eating the meal I ordered. The waiter saw immediately it was over cooked when I showed it to him and he whisked it away. I could of eaten it I suppose although it was super dry but quite frankly it tasted BAD in an un-fresh kind of way. Then one of our parties fish dish, the mahi-mahi, arrived with the wrong sides. So she pointed this out and again the waiter whisked it away to get it changed. Then when another of our parties fish dish arrived, which was supposed to be wahoo, we recognized it as the EXACT same mahi-mahi plate my other friend had just returned! Amazing!

By this time we were just plain fed up with constantly having to ask, re-ask and chase EVERYTHING we needed or ordered - so he just kept the mahi-mahi dish instead.

The main issue we found being in this private room was being "out of sight out of mind", I had to keep sending my husband out to get anything or any drinks ordered we needed as the service was terrible.

After our desserts the newest, younger 'Pepe' in the generations of Pepe's entered our room introducing himself grandly and he asked us how our meal had been. I explained politely about our experiences and my returned tuna. His reply was stunning, "I will let the chef know" he said with a supercilious grin. Sod the chef I thought, he already knows, I sent it back to him. I don't think I have met an owner who passes the buck DOWN his management ladder as a response to a customer complaint made directly. He seemed totally uninterested in our issues and proceeded to talk about himself, dismissing our honest and polite feedback.

I'm afraid this response pushed my buttons a little. I bit my tongue and didn't take it further, as we were with friends and I did not want to make what was already a quite an uncomfortable and ruined evening worse.

We asked for our bill wondering if any concession would be made for our miserable, chaotic and extremely stressful evening spent running after people trying to ensure our friends enjoyment. However the bills were complete. Having ordered two bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne, seven meals, a couple of rounds of extra drinks, desserts and coffees, we were shocked they didn't at least knock the coffees off the bill as a GOOD WILL GESTURE. I don't think this management would even understand the concept.

OK, come on any other night and you might get a slightly more organized service, however that doesn't help our disastrous night. But the 'not my problem' attitude of the OWNER was enough to ensure we NEVER return.

We live in Playa del Carmen, our friends own a condo in Cozumel so we are actually local trade, not passing tourists who will never return. You would have thought they may have valued us more. They were aware of our local status, however this didn't seem to help. They obviously just rely on one off tourist visits and don't care about sustaining local custom.

All in all I found the owners attitude arrogant and condescending.

So I'm afraid I give this a very poor rating and too be honest even the food that was right didn't warrant the prices charged. They are trading on the old reputation of the place and definately cannot put their money where their mouth is.

ONE TO MISS IN COZUMEL.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pepe B, Owner at Pepe's, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Im sorry you had a bad experience, as you said, it was a very busy night. We don´t usually use the private room in days like valentine´s because it requires a waiter just for that table, neverteless we tried to acommodate your party. I´m sorry my trying on being courteous didn´t come out the way you expected. I hope you reconsider having diner with us again, first drink will be on the house.