“Always a delightful experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Mission

La Mission
Adolfo Rosado Salas entre calle 5 y avenida Rafael E. Melgas (malecon), Cozumel 77600, Mexico
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Mission is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 265 restaurants in Cozumel
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: entre calle 5 y avenida Rafael E. Melgas (malecon)
Dalzell, Illinois
“Always a delightful experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

You must have the lime soup as your start to a great meal. Well priced and great service, dinner at La Mission in Cozumel is always a delightful experience. I enjoy lobster and my husband loves the grouper with garlic sauce. Both entrees are done to perfection. The coconut shrimp is sweet and tender. They have a full dinner menue with a nice variety of Mexican and general cuisine sure to please all desires.
I would say the prices are mid-line but with the quality of the food and generous servings this is a good value.
Eating under a palapa style structure open to the busy street is a nice way to spend the evening. The bar drinks are prepared to perfection and served by a great staff. This is a very busy place. I recomend going early or after the typical dinner hour as there is no bar for sitting while a table clears.
You are sure to enjoy this establishment.
DMR

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Burlington, VT
“Great Service and Food -- Wonderful People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I have celiac disease -- the inability to digest anything containing gluten. Unfortunately, gluten is contained in many products and not usually labelled as such. Prior to going to Cozumel, I emailed this and another restaurant about my dietary restriction. Only La Mission responded -- the owner herself. All the meals prepared for me were free of gluten. Not only that, the food was tasty, plentiful and came at a reasonable price. After a couple of times there, the staff recognized us and treated us like family -- albeit a loud family with 3 teenagers and a lively 9 year old. No problem, the open atmosphere of the restaurant ensured that we could enjoy ourselves without disturbing others.

We have been to Cozumel 4 times now, and this is the best place we've found downtown. Outside of downtown, our favorite spot is Casa Mission, under the same ownership as La Mission.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
South Pole
“The atmosphere and food we were expecting from coastal Mexico.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Instead of dealing with the tourist town by the piers we decided to simply ask a few locals what the best restaurant in town was. We asked two people in the best Spanish we could muster and both recommended La Mission. We were sold. With a modest set-rate cab fare of $7 for the two of us we were driven down the coast and dropped off. The place looked small from the outside, which was fine by me because I was sick of those large overhyped expensive places like Margaritaville and Senor Frogs and usually its the small places that you get the most local flavor and bang for your buck.

We were wowed when we walked in, it wasn't a building, it was simply a thatched overhanging roof, plants growing everywhere, three separate seating areas with distinctive feels to each. The exchange rate, once calculated, showed us that their food was relatively cheap. About $10 per person when we were done, though we both ordered the chicken tortilla soup and were pretty much full from that before our food came. Most entrees are about $7 American, my fiance had the burritos which I found much more flavorful than the enchiladas I had. The food was good, but nothing super-special from my end, he, however, swears by those burritos. The great atmosphere had made completely up for it though, especially after our bad experience in Jamaica the day before, this was a refreshing change since the town in general is less poverty stricken than most other places in the Caribbean tourism centers.

The complimentary chips were too thick for my taste, but the salsa was fresh. Beware if you can't handle heat, I normally inhale spicy food with no ill effects, but even I was sipping my soda quite a lot after that stuff. They also gave us complimentary garlic bread, which I found odd for the type of cuisine, though very welcome. The fiance ate most of it. The mariachi band was also very good and added to the rich and happy atmosphere. This was the experience of our cruise that lifted my spirits and reached my expectations.

The local shops around the place were nice too, though most have the same things as all the others, for the same prices. I'm not one, but if you are a smoker, Cuban cigars are legally sold in Mexico so this is a great area to get them.

The walk back to the port was refreshing as well. Unlike most of the tourists, we are in our early twenties, so the 3 to 4 mile walk was doable, and there are a few beaches on the way that had some great tidepools to search through. We found a few urchins, some fish, snails, hermit crabs, and a dead barracuda. Only a biology major like me would be excited from that array.

Baton Rouge
“Terrible service and food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

On a scale of 1 to 10, service was a zero. Place was nearly empty and they had about 10 waiters. We constantly had waiters coming to our table, but never the same one twice. They kept coming back to see what we wanted. None of the food came out at the same time, and when it did, it was very cold. Overall, food was about a "3". Skip this place.

damianmirandam, Propietario at La Mission, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
After 3 years thanks to your review we are among the top 20 restaurants in Tripavisor

We belive that our products and services are a great value. We have a fish hanging out in the entree showing all customers that our products are fresh and local we believe in our quality that we have our guarantee print in the menu “If you don´t like it, you don´t pay it”, that garantee is for the strong believe that we have in our products.

We have more than 20 years in food business with high standards and values (Demonstrating Integrity, Striving for Excellence, Acting Sustainably)

We hope you give us a second chance to probe why we are a +20 years restaurant in the preference of Cozumel visitors.

La Mission Cozumel waits you in your next visit

Mi casa es tu casa, that is our MISSION!

owner and friend

DAMIAN MIRANDA
Port Lavaca, Texas
“Can't be Beat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

We have eaten at this restaurant on two separate trips to Cozumel. I recommend it to everyone we know that goes to Cozumel. The setting is relaxed and family friendly. The food is wonderful, service is great…they went out of their way each time to make our visits wonderful and the prices were very reasonable. A must when you visit Cozumel.