“fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Attractions in Chichen Itza
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked a trip to chichen itza with Flavio Tours after a recommendation from a friend. We were not disappinted. We booked by email with Carol before we arrived in Mexcio and the communication was great. She quickly confirmed the date we wanted and advised us of what we needed to bring.

Flavio picked us up as planned. We had a group of 10 people on our tour and had a couple of pick ups on the way. We stopped on the way for drinks and pastries and got to the cenote 3 hours after leaving the hotel ( people at our hotel who booked through travel agent were travelling for 4 and a half hours before getting there). Flavio timed it perfectly as we were the only group at the cenote. Just as we finished loads of others started arriving so it really was planned well. On the way Flavio told us all about the mayan history and culture and he is passionate and knowledgable about it all.

We then went to chichen itza where we were met by a guide. He was very knowledgeable and it was very enjoyable, although very hot. Half way through Flavio brought us fruit and water to stop us all flagging.

We then went for a buffet lunch. All the food and drinks are included in the price, and he also supplies drinks, snacks in the bus.

All through the day Flavio took pictures and videos and on the way back he puts them all on a flash drive for you. Flavio looked after us so well and made sure the children in our group were ok when feeling too hot.

We did this trip on my 40th birthday and at the end of the day he presented me with a pastry and sang happy birthday! Carol had already called me and sang down the phone at me.

We were lucky that the group we had were all really nice people and it was lovely to do it in a nice group of people.

So, if going to Mexico, book your trips with Flavio rather than your travel agent. You wont regret it.

Visited April 2013

Seattle, Washington
12 attraction reviews
“Tulum and Coba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Another excellent adventure with Flavio !! This is always the highlight of our trip, not just the tour but the adventure and learning experience. I also love the little surprises !!! I will master Lime Soup, Flavio !!

This is the ONLY way to see the Yucatan !! Make your trip memorable and email Carol !!

See you next year Amigo !!!

Visited April 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Flavio + Carol = Best Tour You Can Find to Chichen Itza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is one tour you do not want to miss! What makes Flavio Tours so special? Let me tell you.

When you decide that this truly is the most fabulous tour you can take to Chichen Itza, you will send a message requesting more information on how to get started. When I sent my message, I got a response from Carol, Flavio’s wife. That’s right. This is a family run business that treats you as such. Carol was wonderful! She responded to all of my e-mails quickly and thoroughly. Once we chose a date for the tour, Carol sent a list of everything you could possibly need to know about where to meet, what to bring on the tour, how to pay, how to contact them, etc.

Guess what you get to bring on this trip that you don’t get to bring on the other standardized tours…a 4GB USB flash drive. Of course, this is not for you to take pictures, but for your tour guide, Flavio, to act as photographer and capture your entire adventure on film for you…for no added cost!

Okay, so you’re all set up for this tour and are probably wondering, “Did I make the right decision? All those reviews on Trip Advisor looked good. I hope they were right. So far everything’s been great.”

While waiting at the resort lobby, you will see huge buses drive in, pick up passengers, and drive away - pretty standard, nothing to see here. Enter Flavio, stage right. Flavio pulled up in a white mini van, jumped out of the vehicle, called out “Christopher!” and said “I’m Flavio. Let’s go!” We jumped in the van with another couple and the driver and we were off!

Flavio is a whirlwind of personality and kindness with knowledge and passion for the history of Mexico and the Yucatan. He takes his tours very seriously and has been studying and researching these places for years. These attributes combined with his sense of humor make Flavio the perfect tour guide.

Well, you say, this guy has intellect and pizazz, but what else sets his tours apart from the rest? What can he do for me besides tell me about the region and ruins?

First, his trips are flexible. We went on the day before the Spring Equinox and, because the Il Kil cenote was likely to be crowded, he took us to another cenote that was just outside of Valladolid (after a personal tour of the town plaza and church). It was beautiful, with an open ceiling and not too many people. There was a great buffet at the cenote for lunch and the staff danced traditional Mayan dances while we ate! He also tailored the activities to the interests of the group. If we wanted to spend more time shopping, he provided ample opportunity. If not, on we went.

Second, Flavio provides you with plenty of extras you would not find on a typical tour. Let me simply list them:
1. He made sure that the van was stocked with snacks, chocolate (for the ladies), and drinks
2. He stopped by a café in the morning and bought us all cappuccinos and sweet bread, not to mention the ice cream he got us in Valladolid
3. He not only talks about the ruins, history, land, and Mayan people, but he also uses books with great pictures and passes them around the van to look at
4. Think you’ll be hot at the ruins? Walla… an umbrella for you.
5. Think you’ll be hungry or thirsty at the ruins? Flavio may be flittering about taking pictures for you while you are on the main tour, but he shows up half way through the tour with water and snacks
6. Swimming in the cenote and wishing you had more pictures? Flavio gives you an underwater camera to use and share with your group while you are there.
7. Look how may vendors there are at Chichen Itza! I wish I had time to find and pick something unique. The only vendor Flavio pointed out at Chichen Itza was an amazing wood carver, who carved replicas of the original pictographs and activities (i.e. ball court games) at Chichen Itza – truly amazing artwork
8. When will I get my pictures? Flavio downloaded them and showed us a slide show in the van on the way home

Is there possibly anything else I should know about this incredible tour? Well, there’s nothing more you should know, but I am compelled to tell you what a kind-hearted person you are about to meet. Flavio treated us not as tourists, but as guests. He bought me a beautiful hand-stitched headband from a young woman at the church in Valladolid. Not only was it a gift for me, but it was also a show of support for the community. He extended his kindness everywhere he went

Flavio and Carol made us feel special and welcome on March 20, 2013. If you are looking for a tour to Chichen Itza that is unique, personal, and fun, you have made the right choice. Hope you have a great time with Flavio!

Rye, NY
“Tulum Ruins and Snorkeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had an incredible time with Flavio of www.flaviotours.com. My husband is *very* picky. He kept raving about Flavio's "access" - to a great snorkelling shop at Akumel, where Flavio knew right where to find BIG turtles and guide us to a beautiful reef. Then Flavio took us to a cavern cenote(fresh water river in a cave) just north of Tulum (Mayan ruin) -- my children (12, 16, 17) LOVED it as did my husband. Then we had a great lunch in the town of Tulum. At the Tulum ruin, Flavio and his driver took us to a great parking spot , which is important when it's hot and there are lots of cars, buses, and other tours around. Tulum is right on the Gulf of Mexico so it has a great breeze.....our new favorite ancient civilization.... Flavio is the best. OHHHH and he gives you about 800 (i am not kidding) photos and about 20 videos of your day!!! - Martha, Rye , NY

Frankfurt
4 attraction reviews
“Flavio and Carol are the best! - Chichen Itza Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

To be honest, at the beginning we were a little hesitant because of the prize, but after doing different tours in Mexico we realized Flavio Tours is worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! We actually added a tip in the end, because we were just so happy with the whole tour! Flavio is great and we really appreciate the effort he is putting into his tours!

1. Service is key to Flavio Tours
Before the trip we had several last minute questions: Carol answered all of them with a lot of patience and sent us an email with all the relevant infos so we could plan the day. She send us also infos on what to bring for the trip. As we switched hotels that day they picked us up at one hotel in the morning and dropped us off at another at night and we could even leave our luggage in the van all day.

2. Insights
Flavio will give you a lot of information: About history and Mexican culture. He got us some street food, so we could try the "real Mexican food" (some of our friends had warned us because of the "revenge of Montezuma" to be careful with street food ;) but it was delicious and there were no problems afterwards :)

3. Perfect organization
Flavio Tours is PERFECTLY organized. We were told to be picked up at 7 PM. Flavio was there 7 AM sharp ;) During the trip there was always cooled drinks (he even brought us some cold water and fresh fruit to a meeting point in Chichen Itza). We got to try Clamato beer (which was umm...interesting ;) and fresh mango.

4. Quality level
We went on tours with other tour operators where they tried to get you the cheapest drinks and low-quality food. This is different here. The buffet had all the options you could ask for (incl. vegetarian food), yet - not to get expectations up TOO high....its still a buffett.

5. Tourist traps
Most of the guides will take you to these typical tourist places as they get commission. Flavio doesnt do that at all. The only thing he does is to introduce you to some people and leave you the option to shop, but if you are not interested he will just continue with the tour. No pressure at all. And he will give you tips on where to buy and what to do/not to do.

To sum it up:
We love FLAVIO!!! He is the best. We actually cant wait to go back and try the Sian Kaan tour.