“Great location and wonderful lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Porto Fino Bay View Grand
Km 9.5 Kulkulcan Blvd., Cancun, Mexico   |
Ranked #23 of 81 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
Plano, Texas
“Great location and wonderful lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We went through Steve at CancunBeachResortCondo.com and he did a great job of getting us set up, having a rep meet us at the unit and answering questions. This is a great location with wonderful east and west views.
Bring a hair drier as there was none in the unit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Manager at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Dear Guest Dave and Family

Thanks for staying at Cancun # 1 rated complex Porto Fino bay View Grand and renting through as at CancunBeachResortCondo . We appreciate you taking the time for writing this review. We are glad you and your family enjoyed our great complex. I will take your suggestion of hair dryers in the units back to each individual owner. All owners are required to have certain items in each unit like wifi internet, flat panel TV in all bedrooms, linens, towels, kitchen cookware etc. Hair Dryers were not on our list but we will consider the request.

Again thanks for letting us assist you with your vacation, it was our pleasure to serve you.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Johns Creek, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

This was my second time back to Portofino. The first time was back in August for a Girls trip. At that time, I thought it would be a great place to bring my entire family. We rented again from Steve at CancunBeachResortCondo.com. It was again FABULOUS. It was a perfect condo. A perfect location and we had everything we needed. The beach and the pool are wonderful. We have traveled to many beaches and the views here cannot be beat anywhere in the world. The restaurant at the pool has great food and is very affordable. You can walk to dinner and shopping, or there are other places that are just a short cab or bus drive away. I can't think of an easier place to go and relax.

Thank you Steve for a wonderful trip. We will be back for more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Owner at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
Kelly, Rod and Family. Thanks for staying with us once again and it was our pleasure to assist you in another great avacation. I am glad you enjoyed Tower 6 unit 1102 and Porto Fino Bay View Grand once again. It was also nice to be able to meet you and yoru family in person this trip and I hope to see you back in Cancun again many times. You have a great family!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We stayed in a Unit for 7 days going through www.cancunbeachresortcondo.com and it was the best time we've ever had. From the day we booked our trip to the day we got back into the U.S. Steve and his staff that live in Cancun made sure everything went smooth. I highly recommend going through these guys if you want to have a vacation of a lifetime. The unit was a 3 bedroom 3 bath and was very clean with nice amenities. Located right on the beach and right across the street from Senor Frogs. Shopping malls and restaurants all located within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
BVG_Steve, Owner at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, August 8, 2010
Dear Guest Andy

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we appreciate the kind words. We strive for 5 star service and our mission is to make everyone's stay perfect. We hope to see you back in Cancun again in the future and look forward to assisting you and your family have a perfect vacation.
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed in condo 1804 in tower 5000 for a week with our extended family. The vacation itself was excellent, our first family vacation! The grounds were amazing! The pool was gorgeous and extremely clean! The beach was nice however going into the water did hurt your feet a little due to the broken sea shells. One problem that we did have was that there were only 3 lounge chairs on the beach in working order. We had a little trouble asking to bring additional chairs from the pool onto the beach at first, however once they realized that all the other chairs were broken they were very accommodating. The snack shack by the pool had very good food for a reasonable price.

First impression of the unit was amazing! It was very large, we had 11 people staying there and we didn't feel crowded at all. Upon further inspection however there were a few things missing and wrong. Two of the rooms were missing the blankets for the beds. The manager said that he would have those up by the end of the day, however three days into our vacation we still did not have the blankets. We mentioned this to the manager, he was very apologetic and had them delivered within hours. The first evening that we slept with our blanket, that was supposed to be there the entire time, we pulled the blanket up to our faces and immediately we smelled urine! We were very disgusted!

I did notice that one of the rooms had decorations that were pulled out of the wall as well as one of the bathrooms had the toilet paper holder pulled out. In another bathroom, the shower was not cleaned when we first arrived. We did not have the maid service for the week however it was mandatory to pay for this service for the day that we left. This was obviously to ensure that it was cleaned by the time whoever was renting it out after us would have a clean environment to stay in. Since we were required to pay for it we did expect everything in the condo to be cleaned prior to us arriving.

Several times during the week the floors in both hallways had condensation built up on them and the floor became extremely slippery. Four of us fell on the floor, including myself and I was 5 months pregnant at the time. We were told that this could happen if we had the doors open with the a/c on, however whenever we had the doors open the a/c was off and vice versa. This was extremely hazardous!

One night there was a little concert at the condo on the beach. This was very entertaining! We opened our doors and listened to it from our unit. It was very nice because it didn't last all night long, ending around 10 pm, unlike the base noise that came pouring in from the clubs. We were told that we would not hear the clubs down the street while trying to sleep. I did not find this to be true at all! We were staying in the bedroom on the ocean side that was farthest from the clubs. We had the doors shut and the a/c on as well as our television and we could still hear the thumping noise coming from the clubs. I would not have been annoyed with this if I were expecting it, however we were reassured several times that we would not hear this. We did!

I was disappointed with the room primarily based on what we were told to expect. We did not expect to walk into a 5 star resort however we did expect to walk into the number one rated condo in Cancun! This we did not walk into and this is why I am being so critical! If we did not pay for the number one rated condo we would not have expected the number one rated condo!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Owner at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
It would have been nice for the 3 latest reviewers to reveal they all stayed in the same unit and are extended family and obviously have an ax to grind. Bre8810, droptine, and karissa6802 all stayed in same units on same dates yet they violate TA rules and write 3 reviews. This family was easily the highest maintenance family we ever dealt with. It started the day of the booking and continued straight through until this day with the out of character reviews drastically different then anyone else who stayed with us.

The client called us no less then 40 times prior to departure and sent a similar amount of emails. We are happy to answer and questions and glad to assist any client, but these clients were extremely high maintenance and really “over the top”

I would think trip advisor will soon be removing the duplicate reviews from Bre8810 and droptine because they were already removed once and they reposted them. This time I noticed they did not put in the dates of June 19-26 because they are being cute to try and appear they are not extended family and came different times. The last time they posted reviews that TA removed they did have dates in so anyone can see they were intentionally posting multiple bad reviews from some crazy reason. My gut feeling is the security had to warn family numerous times from what I was told regarding them violating rules and drinking with glass bottles around the pool
Richland, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed at The Porto Fino Bay View Grand for 7 nights in June with our family including our kids, grandkids and a couple of friends. The condo was furnished with everything you needed. We stayed in unit 1804 in tower 5000 and the views were magnificient. The grandkids played in hot tub on the terrace when it got to hot in the afternoons and there was always a refreshing breeze. Security was the best I have seen while staying anywheres in Cancun. The snack shack on the property had really good food and drinks. Now for the flaws. The noise from the clubs could be heard from the 2 rooms on the ocean side. Starting around 10 pm the thumping and music could be heard until early morning. We had hoped we would be able to sleep with our doors open and enjoy the sounds of the ocean but that was impossible due to the noise from the clubs. Also when we arrived 2 of the rooms did not have blankets on the beds and were told within a couple of hours we would have them. After 3 days they still had no blankets so I emailed the owner and it was quickly taken care of. It also appeared as one of the bathrooms was not cleaned very well as there was sand on the floor in the shower. The plastic chairs on the beach were all broke with the exception of 3 of them. Our next time in Cancun will probably be back at The Royal Sands were the atmosphere is more friendly and more of a resort feel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Owner at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Thanks for staying with us in unit 1804 Tower 6 on June 19-26. I am surprised with your comments on the flaws. Sounds like you are a high maintenance type of person and difficult to please. I know the user karissa6802 who shared the unit with you and wrote a review directly before yours had a complete different impression as did every other client in this unit and the vast majority of clients at Porto Fino.

In regards to the noise, yes Portofino has arguably the best location in the Cancun hotel zone located only 4 blocks from the party zone. Sometimes during the summer and other times of years there are concerts even on the beach within a couple blocks. So yes certain times of the year it would not be advisable to sleep with the sliding glass doors open as obviously with such a great location close the center of the action one would hear noise. This is not an issue if you sleep with the doors close and the central ac on.

As a result of the excellent location you are within several blocks of 2 malls, 50 restaurants, flea market etc. And regarding the resort feel you mentioned, please keep in mind this is a full ownership residential condo complex and not a condo/hotel. Perhaps your anticipated expectations of this being a resort atmosphere detracted from your ability to provide a fair review and completely contrasting the review of your friend/relative who stayed in unit with you karissa6802
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at the Porto Fino Bay View Grand in tower 5 unit 1804, from June 19-26th. I stayed there with my extended family ages 3-56 and I was not the one who rented the unit, so my review will just be about my experience as a guest here.
First impressions of the place as we drove up were great, the grounds are very well kept and the sheer size of the towers is quite impressive. We had a unit that had two bedrooms on the ocean side and two on the lagoon side. I was given the smallest of the bedrooms that faced the lagoon side. The room was still very good sized with two double beds and plenty of closet space. Our room also had it's own dvd player in it which was nice when we wanted the kids to lay in bed and relax. The view of the sunset from our balcony over the lagoon was incredible. Senor Frogs is directly across the street from the condo. On the night of their "Mardi Gras" night the noise from the club was loud enough to hear in our room. It was mostly the drunk people screaming that could be heard. One more negative thing about our room and then onto the positives; our shower wasn't as clean as I would have liked to find it when we arrived. It just felt gritty under our feet, and I know that it was probably just sand, but when it's not your grit it just kind of feels gross.
The main living spaces in this condo are incredible, the floor to ceiling windows make you feel like you're outside. It was absolutely amazing to walk out of my room every morning and be greeted by the turquoise water that you could see from just about every spot in the place. The glass balcony took some getting used to (because of my fear of heights, and being on the 18th floor) but it was so nice to be able to sit on a lounge chair and still have the perfect view. The hot tub that is out on the balcony we filled with cool water and let the kids sit in there and have some fun out of the sun while we soaked in the view. It was pretty hot out while we were (mid 90's) there but up there on the 18th floor with the sea breeze it was always the perfect temperature.
The beach in front of the hotel is incredible too, there was so much room to run and play. At the time we were there, there were only like 3 beach loungers that weren't broken though. The water in front of the condos was a little too rough for my kids (ages 6 and 3), but we walked north from there to the beach in front of Dreams. There is a sort of break wall from these large rocks that makes the water there so still and perfect for the little ones. And there were tons of fish swimming all around there too!
We ate at the snack shack a few times and always got great food. I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying here. There drinks are also reasonably priced and they will serve them to you right in the pool--very nice! The pool was good sized and never was crowded during our stay. Plenty of loungers to choose from around the pool there. It's also very relaxing by the pool, since there are no activities because this isn't a resort it makes it very calm and quiet by the pool. It's definitely the place to be if you want something low key.
The fitness center on the site is good enough. There was enough to get anything done and it overlooks the street so you can people watch while you work out. There was a water cooler in there but make sure you bring your own with you because it was never filled. Also there are towels you can use in there too.
I definitely recommend the little burrito shack that is just outside the condo. When you walk out of the gate take a right and it will be there on your right. The prices can't be beat and they were incredible! Open 24 hours too.
All in all this was a great vacation that I wouldn't trade for anything. I would recommend this to someone who likes to be close to where all the action is but still in a low key environment. You can walk to the heart of downtown and come back to your own tranquil oasis.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Owner at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Thank you for staying with us at Cancunbeachresortcondo. I noticed a couple of times you mentioned "hotel" in your reviews. These are full ownership condos and it is not a hotel. Which brings me to the water cooler issue. We only supply guests with one 5 gallon jug of water for the cooler and then guests are on their own for refills. This was explained to someone in your party.

We do offer daily maid service which would include bring new supplies as needed as an optional service but the renting party declined the optional services.

Thanks for staying!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We had the opportunity to stay at the Portofino in Unit 1804. My wife and I had eight 18 year olds with us. Wow - what a view and set-up! Great unit, spacious with excellent amenities. Right in the heart of everything you would want for a relaxed but enjoyable trip. Recommend the unit and building highly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Owner at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Thanks for staying in Tower 5000 unit 1804 and we hope to see you back again real soon. We are glad you enjoyed your vacation.

Been to Porto Fino Bay View Grand? Share your experiences!