“Not as good as you would want.” 2 of 5 stars

Porto Fino Bay View Grand
Km 9.5 Kulkulcan Blvd., Cancun, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 68 Specialty lodging in Cancun
Vancouver, Canada
“Not as good as you would want.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We just came back from a week in unit 1904, tower six of the Portofino. The higher up floors of this tower definitely have stunning views. We were one floor below the penthouse and heard music from the surrounding clubs most nights, even from the bedrooms that face the ocean. It’s not so much hearing it as it is feeling it due to the bass vibrations. We are early risers and some mornings the music was still going on at 7am. Beautiful condos are readily available in Cancun. For our tastes, this one was a little too close to the action.

I was a bit hesitant booking with Steven of cancunbeachresortcondo because of his negative responses to those who did not give the Portofino a good review on Tripadvisor. I’m thinking you should be listening to the feedback instead of getting your back up. We went ahead and booked anyways.

The paperwork we got prior to our arrival states that “If anyone inquires about your status please state you are guests of the owner and do not state you are renting the unit, as there is a small group of owners who frown about renters.” I won’t lie for anyone. Luckily nobody asked me my status.

In an email prior to booking I asked Steven if the water is purified and he said yes. It’s not. The fridge’s water/ice dispenser is disconnected because the water is not purified.

Unit 1904 does not have a dishwasher, as advertised. We would never have booked this unit knowing there was no dishwasher. There were nine of us; four adults and five teenagers! A dishwasher is a must. I was told that maids would be up twice a day to fix this problem. They rarely came once a day. When I brought this to Steven’s attention he said that twice a day was too much and most people (99 out of 100) eat out! We enjoy our vacation as we see fit. If we want to eat in our out, well that’s our choice. It was very disappointing and frustrating to not have the dishes cleaned and to be dismissed when we brought this to Steven’s attention. Steven’s paperwork says “I and my team of professionals are dedicated to ensure your vacation experience is nothing short of outstanding.” We found this to be totally false.

Stay in the Portofino if you want to be very close to the action, just don’t stay in unit 1904 or use cancunbeachresortcondo, as Steven is quick to take your rent (3,800 for our week) but was not helpful at all during our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
BVG_Steve, Manager at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
#1 - The traveler was there the heart of spring break week. I happen to be there at same time in a unit several floors below. There was a few nights where the music was loud and going to the wee hours of the morning, but after a few days the music ceased and was not an issue. There is ordinances against the clubs who are outdoors playing music excessively loud and I was informed the police did get it under control and again the music ceased after a few days. Spring break week can be chaotic in Cancun especially when you are located 4-5 blocks from the night clubs.

#2 I did not know the owner removed the dishwasher from the unit last month because it was rarely used and starting to corrode. The unit now reflects this fact. The traveler did email me about the problem and we agreed to send the housekeeper there daily to wash the dishes. The traveler was not promised twice a day, the traveler rather dictated on her terms what she expected. The traveler demanded we send someone to the unit a few times a day and also expected a substantial refund and was behaving rather bizarre.

As this is not a hotel and we do not have cleaning woman working 24/7. We did our best to accommodate this traveler, but some people cannot ever be satisfied. the emails no less than 5 times per day give you an idea of the type we are dealing with.

Regarding the water, the water in Cancun is purified. This does not mean I would recommend drinking water from the tap or making ice for drinks with tap water. The water is perfectly safe, but most owners including myself choose to buy a pack of ultra purified ice from the convenience store right out front for 15 pesos vs chancing using tap water. For this reason most owners including myself do not hook up the refrigerator water and ice. All units also have 5 gallon water dispensers, and 2 5 gallon jugs are provided in unit and additional can be purchased for 30 pesos from the convenience store right out front.

In summary as one can see the overwhelmingly vast majority of guests love Portofino for its quality, views, location and more. Every once in a while you get someone who goes on vacation and lets a small thing stress them out the entire vacation. While I agree there were minor issues associated with this stay, this traveler dwelled on the minor issues and let it eat her up, as evident from the emails no less than 5 times a day. We did our best to accommodate her and make things right, and always do. Hey, enjoy the vacation, go the beach and get outside and relax. Don’t let small details eat you up.

There was someone staying in same unit who arrived a couple days later, I received one email from that guest telling me how they loved the condo and cannot wait to come back. I will ask the 8 ladies who stayed there this past week to post a review so everyone can see the contrast

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

If you recently read the review slamming Ernie don't believe it. We have rented twice at Portofino and both times Ernie has been the property manager. In our experience he was nothing but professional and went out of his way to ensure our trips were trouble free. I find your review "invasive property manager" shocking considering our personal experience and your inference that if you travel with girls you should be worried slanderous.

The facilities are top notch, location top notch, ten times better than being stuck in a resort living in one room for your vacation.

If you lose or break things then man up and pay up, the property managers job is to ensure the property remains in top shape and items that were there when you arrived are in the same shape as when you leave.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

This location is across the street from Senior Frogs and a block away from a flea market and clubs. The condo is pretty nice and the view is pretty awesome.

The worst part of this trip for me was the manager Ernie. He was very invasive and has the power to come in anytime he wants with out you letting him. He came in when everybody was sleeping, to "fix" something. If you are traveling with any girls this should set off alarms. Also on our last day, check out was at 12 and we stepped out at 11 to grab some burritos next door (awesome burritos) and the wait took a bit longer than expected but when we go back at around 1130 Ernie was already there counting all the silverware, bowls, towel, etc. I felt like he made up missing items like 3 bowls were missing when accounted for all the bowls we used. We admit we lost 2 towels by the pool, because you take them up and down to the pool but no way we lost bowls. The towel we lost were embroidered with the tower number and the room number so I'm positive they still had them. Ernie would not let us leave until we paid $300 cash for the towels. We tired to argue that he could take it out of our deposit, but demanded we pay cash right then and there. So that's why I believe he just took our money and put the "missing" towels back.

This place is nice but not worth the hassle of dealing with Ernie.

Oh yeah, no internet and someone stole my Ray-Bans

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Just to say that we have stayed at various times in condos at Bay View Grand and Porto Fino. All of those we have stayed in are great! The beach is fantastic, the weather is wonderful most of the time (but you can only fault Mother Nature if it is not).
Yes, there might be some small things missing in the kitchen or in the bedroom, so what? It is much better than any all inclusive you would go to.
We were in Porto Fino the first two weeks of January and we are going to Bay View Grand for the first two weeks in March.
Those are the best condos in Cancun and thanks to all of those who rented their condos to us.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Myself and 7 friends stayed here for 9 days to celebrate my birthday. The condo was beautiful, just as pictured. It is right on the beach, across from Senor Frogs. The security staff were amazing, always happy to help. There is a wonderful infinity pool with drinks and food available, gym, massage service. You couldn't ask for more really. It's within 5 minute walk to nightclubs, restaurants and markets. I would recommend this place to families or large groups. We booked through Steve (CancunBeachResortCondo dot com) who was very accommodating, it's not easy to organize 8 people from different countries but Steve was great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
BVG_Steve, Manager at Porto Fino Bay View Grand, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear Guest Jaqueline

Thank you very much for staying with us at CancunBeachResortCondo in unit 301 Tower 5. We are delighted you enjoyed the unit and it was our pleasure to serve you and hope to see you again soon in Cancun.

We appreciate very much the nice review you have written and our goal is to provide the best units and 5 star service and we certainly hope we achieved this. We are committed to being attentive to all guests and being responsive and the service we provide does until we are comfortable you are 100% satisfied.

Thanks again for the review and making Porto Fino Bay View Grand the #1 rated condo in Cancun and CancunBeachResortCondo the #1 rated place to obtain a Porto Fino Bay View Grand or Bay View Grand Residential Cancun rental condo

Steve
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here it is hands down the best condo and deal in cancun. I travel to cancun 3 to 4 times a year and nothing even comes close I have stayed at the ritz,the excellence,the royal,riu palace,cancun palace,sun palace,rented a few condos and villas and let me tell you dont waste your money on all inclusive me and my friends eat and drink alot and I mean alot and we saved big time paying as we went cause on days you just want to relax you dont spend anything and you dont feel like you have to stay at your hotel to eat and drink it allows you to explore cancun and the location is awsome for all ages as far as noise we didnt have a problem I slept with door open everynight which is lagoon side though you could here a.little no loud bass or screaming people as stated in past reviews dont worry this place is my favorite and will never need to hunt on tripadvisor again I have found my home in cancun.

• Stayed December 2011
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My family and I just returned from Cancun. This was our 3rd trip there. The first two times we stayed in all inclusive resorts (all 4 or 5 star). However, this time we opted to stay in a condo. This place is great for a number of reasons. Firstly, the complex is gorgeous, spacious units every everything you can ask for. For example, our unit had two bedrooms, two baths, a full kitchen, dinning area, a large living room, and three balconies. Each bedroom had a flat screen tv (which we didn't use, but was nice to have), and the living room hosted a large plasma tv. The unit also had internet access. Two of the balconies overlooked the ocean and one the bay. The balcony off the master bedroom had also had a jacuzzi. Besides the facility itself, the location is also great. You can walk to a number of restaurants, shops, and night clubs. I would, without hesitation, recommend this place to even the most discriminating traveler.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Porto Fino Bay View Grand? Share your experiences!