“Great Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #59 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Waco, Texas
“Great Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My sister and I had stayed 5 nights and had a great time at Dreams Sands. We, too, have stayed at much fancier hotels but the ambiance of the true Mexican welcome made for a terrific place to vacation.

Cons: Condo sales. We told them firmly up front when we registered we were not interested and after a brief explanation pitch they relented and let us go to our rooms, never to be heard from again.

Pros: Loveable employees ready to do anything you ask. (Roberto in El Patio restaurant, Aldo in French Rest. and Isabelle on the beach, especially) Our housekeeper was the best and kept everything just right.
Enjoyed having the lobby right on the beach.

Food: Enjoyed El Patio, Bordeaux and the World Café (buffet) at each meal. Some complain about the buffet but they must have stayed here a month and grew tired of the choices! WC great for breakfast and other meals too. Loved the crepes and coconut ice cream! and coffee and sandwiches at the place inside.

Beach: Fun events, great sand and water, plenty of chairs, good drinks (try the mango mojito) plenty of sun or shade, nice music -not too loud! WISH we had know you could get someone to take you out on the catamaran for just tips! Found out too late but you do have to sign up! Volleyball in the water FUN FUN FUN
Pools nice as well and good bar. We enjoyed the snacks by the pool in the afternoon.

Excursions: Went to Isla Mujeres on the ferry and loved that little island. I would love to stay there next time and enjoy the Mexican culture and the amazing beach and food. Shopping there was the best we've found and the small cafes are delicious.

There are people near the lobby at the hotel who help you plan trips and tell you how, what, where and when to go. Some of there prices can be beat at travel places online and across the street but they are very informative and helpful.

Entertainment: Not Broadway but entertaining. The Mayan acts were the best. as well as the fire show.

If you are going to Dreams expecting Las Vegas shows, NY Cuisine, perfect, brand new accomodations, 5 star everything, you may be disappointed but all the people I spoke to there enjoyed their trip as much as we did. Sometimes, your trip is what you make it.
AND TOTALLY FRIENDLY! Wonderful VACATION
But go to Isla Mujeres one day!

Room Tip: We had first floor and had a good view. The windows were huge
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Went there a couple of weeks ago for 7 nights and we had the most amazing time. room was clean and had an amazing view. the service was excellent. the food, contrary to previous reviews, we found them to be to a high standard. a special mention to the staff at Bordeaux restaurant as when they found out we were on our honeymoon, they even got us a special cake and message saying 'happy honeymoon' which was an extra special touch we thought. The other restaurants were excellent as well and we found we kept going back to Olio's for their breakfast and lunches. Ana at Olio's was excellent too remembering our preferences when we went back.

The final night we were there they had Tenor's Night and lobster dinner which although was an extra $80, we thought was totally worth it as it was such a magical night having dinner with great live music next to the pool

This is a hotel which has everything for everyone and us being on honeymoon certainly did not feel out of place. You have to try going out on the sail boat as well which is part of the all inclusive! being back, we certainly missed listening to Vivir Mi Vida from the pool side every morning when we wake up..

Thank you Dreams Sands for giving us an unforgettable honeymoon!

Room Tip: ask to be on the higher floor if you prefer to be slightly away from the noise
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at this resort for four days. From start to finish it was by far the most wonderful vacation. The service was excellent. The staff treated us like we were special. They were always smiling and so friendly especially Elmer and Nanci.! The room was perfectly clean and the bedding was soft and comfortable. The location of our room was perfect. It was close to everything. The pools and the beach were always clean and ready to go every morning. I don't know how the staff manages to prepare the grounds so quickly. The food was excellent at every restaurant. We really loved the Asian restaurant. Lidia and Alfredo were exceptionally wonderful to us. They sure know how to treat guests. There was lunch on the grill by the pool everyday along with some great buffets set up by the pool in the evening. The shows were awesome every night. I recommend this hotel to all travelers, families and newlyweds. Thanks so much to the staff for a great vacation!!!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My nephew's wedding was at the Dreams Sands and the service, attention to detail, the restaurants and the friendly staff make this a place I would return to at a later date. I highly recommend this resort for a vacation any time. The ocean is so inviting and the infinity pool wonderful with a walk up bar.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are wonderful. Partial ocean view rooms are just as good. Service is very efficient...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Let me start off by saying I never post on trip advisor or any other sites. However, the service was so great I had to take the time out to post. Reading the reviews before I came had me skeptical especially since it's my honeymoon. My wife and I were extremely happy with the food, staff and rooms. The drinks are ok as well. The beach is literally steps away and it's the most beautiful beach I've seen in my life. I will definitely rate this hotel a 5star. Special thanks to Yessika huchim, kevin and isabel. Thanks for making our visit so wonderful.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Dreams Sands Cancun the week of May 23 for 7 days..We were 3 families with kids ranging in age from 18-25. This was my 4th time in Cancun, first time at the Dreams Sands. My family had 3 rooms on the 3rd floor with balconies. Spectacular views! We all had king size beds since there weren't any double bed rooms available. The refrigerator was always stocked with ice cold soda, beer and water. The bed was so comfortable with great pillows. The air conditioning was really cold and the water pressure in the shower was fantastic. The blow dryer was strong but we had no iron. My daughter's room was the only room in our group that had an iron and ironing board. The food is above average for an all- inclusive. The drinks are watered down with cheap liquor. Room service is available 24 hours and very timely and efficient. The chicken caesar salad was delicious. We usually ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet. The entrees are changed daily and the omelets are made to order and very good. The sushi is very fresh and tasty. The chips and guacamole are fantastic. Himitsu, the Asian restaurant, was our favorite for dinner. Limberg was a terrific waiter and Lidia, the manager was wonderful as well. The kids enjoyed the Mexican restaurant, El Patio, our waiter, Alfredo, was great. The beach is literally right outside the lobby doors. I went down at 7 every morning to secure the padded lounge chairs for my family. There aren't nearly enough and it wasn't even high season. Nightclubs and shopping are a 10 min walk down the main road. You really don't need to take a cab and the bus is right in front of the hotel for a dollar. Men have to wear a short-sleeve shirt, collar or collarless, to all the restaurants including the buffet. They must also wear pants in the restaurants, jeans is fine. Men can wear shorts only to the buffet but with a short sleeve shirt. No tanks permitted in any of the eating places. There is no dress code for the women. There is also an outside grill next to the infinity pool that serves burgers, hot dogs, fries and other food. You can wear your bathing suit there. The spa is a wonderful retreat from the sun with massages, a steam room, sauna, hot and cold tubs, etc. You can also go right across the street to other spas, we went to the Arena Spa , for great massages, facials, etc. for half the price but without the amenities. My husband and I each had an 80 minute hot stone massage for $60 each. It was amazing. We also booked an excursion called Xplor. We went on 14 ziplines, river rafting through caves, driving a jeep for miles through a jungle trail, and swimming in an underground river. This was the highlight of our trip! We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Dreams Sands. We had no issues with our rooms, the food or the service. It's not a 5 star resort by any means but the accommodations and location are well above average for an all-inclusive.

Room Tip: floor 3 or above have great views, try to get a balcony
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was my first time out of the USA. I've never been to a resort/all inclusive. With that being said, i thought it was pretty dang awesome! I booked through expedia. I don't know what happened, but even though i thought i booked a balcony room it defaulted or something to just a regular room and i didn't notice until i went to pull up my itinerary a couple days before my excursion. I contacted the concierge on Facebook and he confirmed. I didn't spend the extra money to get a balcony because i figured we would rarely be in there. I came with a group of friends (who live in other states) - 8 of us total. When we arrived , we checked in, and the time share people were on us like white on rice. My friend who travels often came out to get us out of the situation. apparently the time share people give you vouchers to use on resort (for spa) but come with a gazillion stipulations.

ROOM: When we got to our room LE SIGH! it was BEAUTIFUL!!! and somehow, we ended up with a balcony room (HIGH-5 TO WHOEVER MADE THAT HAPPEN!). I utilized that balcony every morning. I was still waking up at 6am for some reason and I'd make coffee and sit on the balcony watching sun rise until my husband woke up.

BEACH: the beach is nothing short of AMAZING. it's super clean. the grounds are ALWAYS being cleaned by the staff. they have catamaran you can sign up to do and kayaking for free. Although- if you go out on the catamaran, the guy pretty much tells you you gotta pay 15-20 if he has to go with you.

FOOD: This is where i shorted the resort on a star. Although the rest of the resort is excellent, their food is sub par. there's a couple different 'restaurants' you can choose from. Asian, french, mexican, etc.. They put so much emphasis and focus on providing you with an 'experience' that they lost touch with the quality of the food. We went to 'el patio restaurant'. When you step in the place it's like you automatically transported to Mexico. the pottery, the artwork, fabulous place settings, everything screamed MEXICO! however when we were seated, the waiter came and took those awesome plates away and brought us out some water in a really big carafe that looked like it weighed 30lbs and came from pier1 imports. When the food came, even though we were 'in' a mexican restaurant and we WERE in Mexico, i seriously could've gotten better mexican food at the local Don Pablos in Minnesota. As we went on with our vacation, this was the norm at all the restaurants. Looked like the real deal, but when the food comes, you're sadly disappointed. Also the set up of the outside seating/eating area where they usually hold entertainment is smack dab between the beach/pool/and hotel. It was really weird (and kind of gross). I'd be sitting at a table where 2 feet away you got people by my feet sitting in the hot tub. Also at the outside buffet you got people wet that just got done swimming in ocean bobbing and weaving through the food and right by your table dripping trying to get to their room, one of the pools, or the outdoor bar.

DRINKS- order what you want! unlimited! they even have awesome 'drinks of the day'. They're not that strong though- watered down? Maybe not even liquor in there. I literally drank all day and didn't get drunk or wake up with a hangover.

ENTERTAINMENT- I was always late for this, but what they did have was pretty cool. I caught the back end of native dancers, magic show and a fire show. They seem to always have something going on to keep you entertained. With that being said, the resort doesn't shut down, but everyone seems to go in/go to bed around 11pm. Not a whole lot of action. which is good becasue i'm older. but if i were say in my 20's. this wouldn't be the resort for me. When my husband and i got restless, we'd walk about 5 minutes down off property and there's the coco bongo and flea markets and there was always a ton of people out all hours of the night down the street.

SERVICE: Again, the service was fantastic. Everyone was SUPER nice and seemed to go above and beyond to accommodate you. Except at the 'seafood/steakhouse restaurant'. We were a group of 8 and actually met a woman and her daughter from our state and the daughter happened to be best friends with our niece so our group of 8 quickly expanded to 10 the rest of our trip. Apparently to keep the 'integrity, ambiance, and experience' of their lousy little restaurant, we were told to be quiet. but other than that, everything and everyone was wonderful.

PSA ON THE INTERNET- took forever and a day to log in and didn't get the best service- but again, i was on vacation. It was nice to 'unplug', however, it would've been great to Skype our child back at home.

Overall- 4 stars. I LOVED my room. and I got to enjoy the company of the most incredible people that i'm so blessed to call friends.

Thanks Dreams Sands!!! We had such a good vacation and the hard working staff made that possible!

Room Tip: Get the balcony! -seriously. You'll thank me later.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!