“My Birthday trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #62 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
“My Birthday trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I loved it and can't wait to go back the food was good,the drinks were good I had a perfect view from my room. Everyone one was nice plenty to do and places to go I am already planning my next trip and I will be staying at Dreams Sands Cancun.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
suffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Dreams Sands - The hotel property is not the same property as it was in 2008 that we had heard wonderful things about. That property was sold and the buildings from then were torn down. The "new" Dreams facility was older, so there were some maintenance issues. On Friday, our last day, they had a pipe burst and we were glad we were departing! Because the building is older, it was not very soundproof and I had to use earplugs to sleep - which I have only used one other time in my life! Fortunately, my husband had extra ones for me to use. The food was very good and many restaurant choices; we tried two of the restaurants, but ate mostly in the buffet, which was very good. It is a small property, so would be good for family that want to spend a lot of time together, whether at the beach or one of the pools, or those that want to stay close. I would be concerned about going there during their high season though.The entertainment was very good. I generally visit the spa but felt their's was way overpriced. It was nice to be in Cancun and able to take a walk outside of the resort without booking an excursion, as our resort visits over the last few years have been Punta Cana and Rivieria Maya, which doesn't really have that option. The beach was nice, although there were some rocky areas. I also missed having a balcony and although we had requested being up higher in the building, even half of their rooms didn't seem to have the option of a balcony. Personally, from an Apple rating guide, I wouldn't rate it any higher than a 5 and maybe even a 4 golden.

Room Tip: The view for all rooms was very good.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just returned home from a wonderful week at the Dream Sands Resort at Cancun.

For those who have not been to the Yucatan peninsula, you will see that the Mayan people are genuine, friendly, helpful and very accommodating. These virtues are especially true of all the staff members we met during our vacation, and they often went out of their way to make our stay memorable. For example, we asked our waiter if we could get a dessert that we had on a previous night that we thought was at that restaurant. It was actually not on our menu but in a different restaurant. Our waiter surprised us by going to another of the hotel restaurants that had it while we were eating dinner and presented it to us for dessert. I wish I could remember his name to thank him here. In addition, there were many people that got to know us, such as Dana that provided drinks on the beach and Alejandro and Manuel at the front door. Alexander taught us some Spanish and Louis and the entertainment team "KFC'd us after we lost to them playing volleyball. You will have to go there to find out what that means. It was all in fun.

I was one of the few guests that appeared to take advantage of the free round of golf at the beautiful Playa Mujeres golf club designed by Greg Norman, at their sister "Secrets" resort about 30 minutes away, . The course is long, well maintained, very secluded and has many intriguing holes. I strongly recommend it to golfers looking for a day away from the beach and pool.

At the hotel, during every evening, there are shows outside and they vary the stages each day. We looked forward to these very professional shows and enjoyed them all. The length of time of the shows seemed perfect.

In conclusion, yes there are newer, high end hotels in the hotel zone with expansive grounds and I am sure they are wonderful as well. However, with the north facing beach, it is a good swimming beach with low waves. The food is fantastic, from the breakfasts in the World Cafe to the poolside lunches and dinners at places like El Patio (my favorite, try the Tequila Shrimp). This hotel as a lot of people in fairly close proximity providing for a fairly high energy level and an opportunity to meet people. For us, we like that atmosphere and it made the vacation fun. If you prefer secluded and expansive there are more appropriate choices for you..

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and it was at eye level with the palm trees and the ocean. All of the room...
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We spent a week at the Dreams Sands with a large group (11 people). The staff was so attentive and helpful. We had everything we needed completely taken care of. The service was exceptional by Kevin, Carlos, Emigdio, Luis, Fabiola, Cindy, Elizabeth, Ruby, and so many more I can't recall all the names. Everyone was smiling and happy. The evening entertainment was wonderful and the food was delicious. The beach was perfect - and even after a storm blew in a bunch of seaweed, the crew worked tirelessly to clean it all up. Beautiful hotel. Wonderful staff. It was the best vacation I've had!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, because not all rooms have them. All rooms have great views.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We picked this hotel because we stayed at a Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa last year and the food quality and staff service was wonderful. We received the same high level customer service at Dreams Sands Cancun!! We traveled with 8 adults, 1 teenager and 2 small kids for a total of 4 rooms. All of our rooms had beautiful beach views and I loved the bay views from the hallways as well, especially at night.

Food quality is very important to me so I was extremely pleased to see that Dreams Sands Cancun had the same quality food as the Punta Cana resort. We had dinner at Himitsu 3 nights! If you love sushi ask for the appetizer sampler platter, wow! Also make sure to visit the Sushi & Ceviche bar next to the spa in the afternoon, the chef has a new creation daily, and you can go in your swimsuit! El Patio was great Mexican food, I highly recommend the Sopes. Portofino's is the Italian restaurant, and the chef has a daily special that is delicious, plus he comes to your table to explain it when you order!

Daniel and Luis were our favorite servers by the beach/pool bar. Be sure to ask Daniel to tell you the story of tequila!!

The reason for our vacation was to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary, so we set up a photo shoot with Priscilla at the hotel. The photo shoot is free, the pictures are well priced and best of all her friendly and patient personality was perfect to control our sometimes rowdy group!

Christian was the Concierge clerk that I interacted with the most and he was great, he was friendly and asked how my stay was going each time he saw me near the lobby.

This resort is wonderful for small children, we had a 3 yr old and 6 yr old in our group and they loved the kids club. One afternoon they had a Toy Story show with real life characters by the pool, and one evening they set up a screen on the beach for movie night!

Keep in mind, this resort is not a new building, Dreams took over it and renovated but it still has some of the wear and tear noticeable, if you are the type to look for that kind of stuff. The important thing is that the rooms were clean and comfortable, the shower although small was also clean and new and the overall décor is updated and modern throughout the resort.

The beach area is shallow, and yes, there are some rocks, so just walk about 5 seconds to your left or right and you will have clear sand! I recommend you walk across the street to buy a raft, the beach is perfect for it! (and the hotel gift shop charges way too much)

Downside, the "Disco" is really just not that great. I don't think it's the resorts fault though, it seemed like most of the guests we met said it was more fun to walk the short distance to Coco Bongos, Señor Frogs, Fat Tuesday, etc. Everything really is walking distance from the resort.

Oh and if you are a runner (like us) there is a large, smooth path (sidewalk) that is perfect for an early morning run.

I seriously could go on and on about the great things to see and eat and do at this resort, but I'd rather spend my time searching for flights so that I can go back soon!!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean, the higher you are the better the view! The windows open, enjoy...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The french and mexican restaurants have an excelent service.
In the French restaurant: Hosstes: Valeria, Waiter: Manuel and the Capitan Manuel have and excellent actitude and professional service. Congratulations to the Team.
The mexican restaurant is the same, a very good service: Karen, Alfredo and the Capitan Gonzalo have a excellent service too.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Wadestown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

hotel was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL on the outside and in the lobby. we were on the 4th floor and things needed to be updated but everything was very clean and we could not have asked for better service and attention to detail. the food was great and there was quite a variety. didn't really enjoy the evening entertainment. we felt they were a little too amateurish. we weren't there for the entertainment so it was ok. because of the location, we were able to walk to several different shops and also catch the bus right outside the hotel. we would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!