“A wonderful vacation experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #62 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
“A wonderful vacation experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just returned home from a wonderful week at the Dream Sands Resort at Cancun.

For those who have not been to the Yucatan peninsula, you will see that the Mayan people are genuine, friendly, helpful and very accommodating. These virtues are especially true of all the staff members we met during our vacation, and they often went out of their way to make our stay memorable. For example, we asked our waiter if we could get a dessert that we had on a previous night that we thought was at that restaurant. It was actually not on our menu but in a different restaurant. Our waiter surprised us by going to another of the hotel restaurants that had it while we were eating dinner and presented it to us for dessert. I wish I could remember his name to thank him here. In addition, there were many people that got to know us, such as Dana that provided drinks on the beach and Alejandro and Manuel at the front door. Alexander taught us some Spanish and Louis and the entertainment team "KFC'd us after we lost to them playing volleyball. You will have to go there to find out what that means. It was all in fun.

I was one of the few guests that appeared to take advantage of the free round of golf at the beautiful Playa Mujeres golf club designed by Greg Norman, at their sister "Secrets" resort about 30 minutes away, . The course is long, well maintained, very secluded and has many intriguing holes. I strongly recommend it to golfers looking for a day away from the beach and pool.

At the hotel, during every evening, there are shows outside and they vary the stages each day. We looked forward to these very professional shows and enjoyed them all. The length of time of the shows seemed perfect.

In conclusion, yes there are newer, high end hotels in the hotel zone with expansive grounds and I am sure they are wonderful as well. However, with the north facing beach, it is a good swimming beach with low waves. The food is fantastic, from the breakfasts in the World Cafe to the poolside lunches and dinners at places like El Patio (my favorite, try the Tequila Shrimp). This hotel as a lot of people in fairly close proximity providing for a fairly high energy level and an opportunity to meet people. For us, we like that atmosphere and it made the vacation fun. If you prefer secluded and expansive there are more appropriate choices for you..

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and it was at eye level with the palm trees and the ocean. All of the room...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We spent a week at the Dreams Sands with a large group (11 people). The staff was so attentive and helpful. We had everything we needed completely taken care of. The service was exceptional by Kevin, Carlos, Emigdio, Luis, Fabiola, Cindy, Elizabeth, Ruby, and so many more I can't recall all the names. Everyone was smiling and happy. The evening entertainment was wonderful and the food was delicious. The beach was perfect - and even after a storm blew in a bunch of seaweed, the crew worked tirelessly to clean it all up. Beautiful hotel. Wonderful staff. It was the best vacation I've had!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, because not all rooms have them. All rooms have great views.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We picked this hotel because we stayed at a Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa last year and the food quality and staff service was wonderful. We received the same high level customer service at Dreams Sands Cancun!! We traveled with 8 adults, 1 teenager and 2 small kids for a total of 4 rooms. All of our rooms had beautiful beach views and I loved the bay views from the hallways as well, especially at night.

Food quality is very important to me so I was extremely pleased to see that Dreams Sands Cancun had the same quality food as the Punta Cana resort. We had dinner at Himitsu 3 nights! If you love sushi ask for the appetizer sampler platter, wow! Also make sure to visit the Sushi & Ceviche bar next to the spa in the afternoon, the chef has a new creation daily, and you can go in your swimsuit! El Patio was great Mexican food, I highly recommend the Sopes. Portofino's is the Italian restaurant, and the chef has a daily special that is delicious, plus he comes to your table to explain it when you order!

Daniel and Luis were our favorite servers by the beach/pool bar. Be sure to ask Daniel to tell you the story of tequila!!

The reason for our vacation was to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary, so we set up a photo shoot with Priscilla at the hotel. The photo shoot is free, the pictures are well priced and best of all her friendly and patient personality was perfect to control our sometimes rowdy group!

Christian was the Concierge clerk that I interacted with the most and he was great, he was friendly and asked how my stay was going each time he saw me near the lobby.

This resort is wonderful for small children, we had a 3 yr old and 6 yr old in our group and they loved the kids club. One afternoon they had a Toy Story show with real life characters by the pool, and one evening they set up a screen on the beach for movie night!

Keep in mind, this resort is not a new building, Dreams took over it and renovated but it still has some of the wear and tear noticeable, if you are the type to look for that kind of stuff. The important thing is that the rooms were clean and comfortable, the shower although small was also clean and new and the overall décor is updated and modern throughout the resort.

The beach area is shallow, and yes, there are some rocks, so just walk about 5 seconds to your left or right and you will have clear sand! I recommend you walk across the street to buy a raft, the beach is perfect for it! (and the hotel gift shop charges way too much)

Downside, the "Disco" is really just not that great. I don't think it's the resorts fault though, it seemed like most of the guests we met said it was more fun to walk the short distance to Coco Bongos, Señor Frogs, Fat Tuesday, etc. Everything really is walking distance from the resort.

Oh and if you are a runner (like us) there is a large, smooth path (sidewalk) that is perfect for an early morning run.

I seriously could go on and on about the great things to see and eat and do at this resort, but I'd rather spend my time searching for flights so that I can go back soon!!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean, the higher you are the better the view! The windows open, enjoy...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The french and mexican restaurants have an excelent service.
In the French restaurant: Hosstes: Valeria, Waiter: Manuel and the Capitan Manuel have and excellent actitude and professional service. Congratulations to the Team.
The mexican restaurant is the same, a very good service: Karen, Alfredo and the Capitan Gonzalo have a excellent service too.

Wadestown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

hotel was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL on the outside and in the lobby. we were on the 4th floor and things needed to be updated but everything was very clean and we could not have asked for better service and attention to detail. the food was great and there was quite a variety. didn't really enjoy the evening entertainment. we felt they were a little too amateurish. we weren't there for the entertainment so it was ok. because of the location, we were able to walk to several different shops and also catch the bus right outside the hotel. we would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

What a fabulous time! I traveled with my husband and two of my children, ages 22 and 15. We all had a great time. The food was excellent, the staff friendly, and the entertainment fun. My favorite restaurant was Portofino. The chef makes a “special” every night. It sounded so tasty that we all decided to try it. The food was hot and served directly to your plate from the pan by the chef. I also loved the breakfast buffet. The variety ranged from very American breakfast choices to Mexican cuisine, fruit, pastries, and more. The buffet definitely offers something for everyone.

We also enjoyed the SPA. My daughter has always wanted to have the fish therapy treatment. I had never heard of it. So we tried. We had our feet massaged and then placed them in a tank where little fish eat the dead skin off your feet. It tickled. The fish get a great treat and you end up with smooth soft feet. Not to mention that the experience is fun. My husband and I also enjoyed the SPA. We had a fifty minute couples massage. It was so relaxing I almost fell asleep. I would definitely do that again.

The beach was amazing. It was clean, the water was clear, and there was plenty of room in the sand and water. The first day I walked the beach to view all the other resorts. The walk was enlightening. Dreams Sands definitely has the best stretch of beach and water access of all the resorts. The other resorts had small sand lots, rocky, small access to the water, or both. Dreams Sands has a huge plot of sand and about two American sized football fields worth of ocean. The ocean has a volleyball net set up in it and a large floating trampoline for kids and adults. I am 5’6” and walked or swam the entire area, the water never went over my shoulders. I live near the Jersey shore and really do not like the beach, this was different, I loved it! We even decided to get a beach bed for two days. It was worth it to have your own private beach bed. But, if you decide not to get a bed, there are plenty of beach chairs for everyone. We went to the beach late in the day and still were able to get four chairs together under an umbrella.

The staff, including entertainment, were great. The hotel staff was always working. We never sat long, either on the beach, by the beach, or in the lounge, before someone was offering us bottled water, a soda, or drink. Housekeeping was there, but quietly in the background. Housekeeping was either sweeping, cleaning the windows, or going to clean guest’s rooms. I was always amazed that with that much sand around it never seemed to find its way into the hotel. The entertainment was, shall we say, entertaining. One night we watched a breakdance routine. Another time we went for Karaoke. We played bingo, only made better by us winning a very nice bottle of Tequila. We also saw a circus. The circus was not as large as Ringling Brothers, but it was very good. It was a small scale circus with acts that could easily have been seen in Ringling Brothers. It had a funny clown with a great trick routine, a juggler that also did a difficult balancing act, a man that did a strength routine, and a contortionist act with three individuals.

To be fair, I did read some other reviews. I do not agree with them. Yes, there may be some minor paint issues and it may have a cracked tile here and there. But, who cares. The overall picture is great. What I saw was people working very hard to make it better and keep it better. The staff was never still, they work hard and it shows.

Room Tip: We booked the preferred club. This included an extra private lounge with snacks and drinks. Club a...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I have been to Cancun 5 times in the last 3 years, this being our 5th. It was also our first time traveling with our 7 month old son. Once we booked here we decided to read the reviews on this hotel. We generally don't read them because of how untrue and negative they are. Thats why I'm writing this. Its my first and probably only review because this place deserves better justice than what some of the reviews make it out to be...

Now, to address a lot of complaints I read in earlier reviews. If you're the type of person thats gonna walk around and nit pick all the imperfections in the walls, floors, and ceiling, don't stay here. They are working on it and they do a wonderful job of making sure you don't even know whats going on. If you don't like a dress code for dinners. Don't stay here. However you'll be hard pressed to find a place that doesn't require men to wear long pants anyways. The food. I can't even believe that I read complaints about their food. This was by far some of the BEST food I have ever eaten in Mexico. Even the room service is top notch. Kudos to all the cooks and chefs. I could just keep going on and on but ill leave with saying these last 2 things. The beach. The beach here might be some of the most beautiful stretches of beach Cancun has to offer. Not only is the beach beautiful, but you can literally walk out quite a good distance and still be standing on white sand and only be in waist high water. Lastly, the staff. The staff is AMAZING. From the moment we got to the hotel, until the minute we left we we're treated like family. Everyone there made us feel right at home especially with our little son. The workers were always smiling and playing with him. Like Nancy our day time waitress, and Jesus our night time waiter in the buffet.

The Cons. I wish our room had a balcony. We had a ocean view corner suite. For being the highest end and most expensive room it would have been a nice addition.No biggie. Not a deal breaker. Now these next 2 are cons only because we had a young son. Just being honest and putting it all out there. The dance club there plays music until 1am. So take note as to what your bedtime is and if its early ask to be placed away from it. The nightly entertainment can also get loud, as well as the DJs for the weddings that take place there. If your bedtime is 8-9pm you may want to request to be placed on the other side of the hotel.

Once again, if you're still reading this please don't have any hesitations about staying here You won't be disappointed.

I can say that we would most definitely come back to stay here again!!!

Nick, Amy, and Nathan
Michigan

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!