We just returned home from a wonderful week at the Dream Sands Resort at Cancun.
For those who have not been to the Yucatan peninsula, you will see that the Mayan people are genuine, friendly, helpful and very accommodating. These virtues are especially true of all the staff members we met during our vacation, and they often went out of their way to make our stay memorable. For example, we asked our waiter if we could get a dessert that we had on a previous night that we thought was at that restaurant. It was actually not on our menu but in a different restaurant. Our waiter surprised us by going to another of the hotel restaurants that had it while we were eating dinner and presented it to us for dessert. I wish I could remember his name to thank him here. In addition, there were many people that got to know us, such as Dana that provided drinks on the beach and Alejandro and Manuel at the front door. Alexander taught us some Spanish and Louis and the entertainment team "KFC'd us after we lost to them playing volleyball. You will have to go there to find out what that means. It was all in fun.
I was one of the few guests that appeared to take advantage of the free round of golf at the beautiful Playa Mujeres golf club designed by Greg Norman, at their sister "Secrets" resort about 30 minutes away, . The course is long, well maintained, very secluded and has many intriguing holes. I strongly recommend it to golfers looking for a day away from the beach and pool.
At the hotel, during every evening, there are shows outside and they vary the stages each day. We looked forward to these very professional shows and enjoyed them all. The length of time of the shows seemed perfect.
In conclusion, yes there are newer, high end hotels in the hotel zone with expansive grounds and I am sure they are wonderful as well. However, with the north facing beach, it is a good swimming beach with low waves. The food is fantastic, from the breakfasts in the World Cafe to the poolside lunches and dinners at places like El Patio (my favorite, try the Tequila Shrimp). This hotel as a lot of people in fairly close proximity providing for a fairly high energy level and an opportunity to meet people. For us, we like that atmosphere and it made the vacation fun. If you prefer secluded and expansive there are more appropriate choices for you..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated along a breathtaking white sand beach in the heart of Cancun's Hotel Zone, sits Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa! Experience all the great inclusions of Unlimited-Luxury(R) at the newest beachfront resort of your Dreams in Mexico - where there's something fun for every age. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Viva Beach Hotel Cancun
- Grand Oasis Viva Beach Cancun