“"Excellent Resort with alot to do".” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #63 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
“"Excellent Resort with alot to do".”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Oh....Where to start....Checking in was fast and simple while in line the staff comes around with champagne. I will return to Dreams again! The entertainment staff was awesome! Luis, Juan, Bernice, Laura and the rest of the gang made sure we had a blast and got us going every day with ocean volleyball, horseshoes, water aerobics, dance classes, etc! Their energy was never ending and they are a credit to the company they work for!!The food was delicious in all the restaurants and there are many choices every day! We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View with a Balcony and it was excellent. The day beds around the pool are a must!!! The evening entertainment was awesome! from live music, magic shows, dance shows, Karaoke to the nightclub on the resort. The bartenders from the lobby bar, main bar, and pool bar were awesome as well. I will definitely be back to see all of you in the near future!

Room Tip: I stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View with a Balcony and it was great with great view.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Brigantine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

We have been to Cancun many times, always trying different places, but I will return to Dreams again! The activities staff was awesome! Luis and the rest of the gang made sure we had a blast and got us going everyday with ocean volleyball, horseshoes, aerobics, dance classes, etc! Their energy was never ending and they are a credit to the company they work for!!The food was delicious in all the restaurants and there are many choices every day! We stayed in a preferred club corner suite and it's absolutely worth the extra money. The day beds around the pool are a must!!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

i understand some of the negative reviews, i will address them first and then tell you all the great things about the Dreams Sands Resort.
I have heard the complaint that the bathtubs don't drain, I believe drainage is a major problem for the resort. I did not have a bathtub but the other two couples did and one of the bathtubs filled as you showered, I would not have like that. The sinks drain slowly but that was never a problem. There is also an odor once or twice a day from the bathroom, smells sulpher'ish or worse but then goes away. The bathtubs are small and not large jacuzzi tubs as I have seen at most resorts.
A number of people including the other people I spoke with did not receive their bed choices,the couples I travelled with received 2 double beds, 2 single girls wanted doubles and received kings. This hotel needs to straighten this out as people are disappointed and you should get what you booked. i picked a standard room and then when i contacted the hotel i was told that the standard rooms were on floors 1 to 3, this all should be explained at the time of booking. Of course upgrades are available at the time of check in with a hefty price.
Not all rooms have a balacony and balconies are small. The rooms without a balcony have a window that opens wide so they are nice also.
I don't think there is a room in the place with a bad view.
The room did not remind me of a resort but more of a hotel.

Now the GREAT things about the hotel.

Our housekeeper, Liliana, did an amazing job everyday. Our room was cleaned before noon and I asked for a special request from her the first day and she complied the whole week. Kudos to Liliana. Please note that you can leave items for the housekeepers as long as you leave a note detailing the items, your name and room number. I left brand new flipflops that bothered my foot, medicine, haircare products, sunscreen etc. (so much better than throwing them away).

The beach. Sand was nice, there were lots of little huts for shade, you did have to get out by 7:30 if you wanted a certain area but you could always move the chairs to shade or sun. The water is shallow and clear, no waves. Beautiful view. The area is shaded by the building till midmorning but you can pull your chair closer to the water and the sun is there.

Beach service was good, Daniel, Brisomalea (spelling is incorrect...we called her Breez) and Diana were all very good, polite and we shared a few laughs with them as well.

I never spoke to any entertainment personel except Verynice (again inccorect spelling but that's what we called her). i did have to speak to her first but after that she would say hi everyday we seen her. There was usually a show every afternoon at the pool and one at night as well. I enjoyed the entertainment at this resort the most in Mexico as there was no one on a stage yelling into a miicrophone. The shows were of good quality.

The pools, the best in Mexico as they were great temperatures. Every place that I have travelled to in Mexico has cold pools. The one pool was almost too warm but if was great, the other pool was a little cooler but it was refreshing. Neither were uncomfortable. i would return just for this reason. Be careful, the infinity pool drops without warning from 4 ft to about 6 ft and then again future. No warning no sign, no gradual slope, just boom dropped. We met a lady that didn't swim and her husband had to run to grab her as she stepped off the 4ft area and bobbed up and down 3 times. This needs to be marked.
They also need 2 bartenders at the pool bar for the 6'ish hours it's opened. It's too busy for 1 bartender.

The restaurants. The food overall was the best food I've ever had in my travels to Mexico. I have been to Iberostar, Now Jade and Riu in the Riviera Maya and Los Cabos. Favorite was the italian, then the japanese, and french, mexican and waves and sands were good, just not my favorite. I loved the Olio which was opened for lunch, tried something different each time I went and it was delicious. There is a time from about 5 to 6:30 where no food except room service is available. I think they should leave natcho's and the hamburger area open during that time. We had an afternoon pool lunch one day and two dinners that were set up around the pool. Most of the restaurants have outside eating areas where were a great setting. The service in the restaurants was great. All items are served to you, other places I have had to go to get my salad and dessert and the salads were different at each restaurant not the same old salad bar. The serving sizes are small but the time you have an appetizer and soup and dinner I was full every night and you could always order more if needed. i rate the food very good!

I found the service in general was great!

No reservations for the restaurants are best...go for dinner when you are ready not the time you booked two days ago.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
There were familes with children..that didn't bother me.
There were very very young adults (18-29), which didn't bother me either. I would suggest this hotel for that age group as they are bored as there aren't many their age.
i would say as long as they keep the prices reasonable, this is a great resort! I plan on returning!

i was not approached by any timeshare reps.

The Apple rep provided good quality information.

The front desk clerks were not the friendliest but I'm sure they get lots of complaints because people aren't getting what they requested or booked.

Free Wifi is great and available up to 2 devices. This is what the rest of the resorts need to provide to their guests.

They can improve this resort to be top notch in the hotel part but the rest is already on it's way.

Halifax, NS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I feel that in most cases you get what you pay for. We booked this resort knowing this year we wanted to spend less then usual so I was not surprised by this spot. I wanted to pay less so I got less.

The beds were hard, the food o.k. It was a small resort that felt cramped at times. The spa was very nice (my massage was excellent) and we enjoyed renting a day bed for a day where the beach chairs were pretty uncomfortable. By the end of the week I was sick with travelers you know what so folks are not washing their hands there all of the time when handling your food. But from what I understand, this happens everywhere. It would be nice if they had some hand sanitizer near the entrances to the buffet at the very least.

The beach was great for swimming, no waves, no wind like many resorts in the area. The service was excellent but they are understaffed. The employees do their very best to keep up but it's impossible at times and certainly not their fault. What nice people though - especially Dana, our favorite server from the beach. They greatly appreciate tips which makes me enjoy giving them.

If you want to eat indoors, all of the restaurants require pants but the women can dress however they want no matter how ghetto they look. However no pants are required to eat on the outdoor patios which was a nice perk to learn along the way. Everything seems to close though around 5:00pm - no food to be found until 6:30pm which I thought was funny. Probably pretty annoying for the people with children who are hungry.....at supper time.....

There are no adult only pools, just a quiet pool and by quiet they mean there is no music at it. Lots of kids having lots of fun at this pool and not being quiet ;) Also the kids club is next door to this pool, also not quiet LOL - and that is o.k. just don't call it a quiet pool!

In a nut shell, in my opinion, if this is what your budget allows, then I would certainly stay here before I went without. I couldn't recommend this resort but that may mean that it just wasn't the spot for me. I will spend more (God willing) going forward and will be indulging in some Dukoral.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have balconies - you must book one to get one.
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Although we had fun on our trip. The hotel was presented to us as "brand new" and it was not. The rooms were nice when you walked in until you looked around. The lobby and restaurants looked newer. The keycard for the door didn't work everyday, the lights burned out, maid threw away our stack of information and pamphlets and we could not get it back. The dress code was not explained to us by Apple vacations so we did not bring "dress clothes" and were not told children couldn't go into two of the restaurants.
We paid extra for ocean front and all of the rooms are ocean front, some with a better view than ours. Did not like being attacked by the salespeople when you arrive after traveling all day. We booked excursions with our onsite Apple representative.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
eConciergeMartin, Social Media Assistant at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Michelle T,

We really want to thank you for reaching Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa and especially for sharing your opinion with us. We truly appreciate the time invested on it.

As a service oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfill, but also to surpass our guests' expectations; therefore we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest’s experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

Again, we do value your comments very much and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back home.

Kind Regards,
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and I have traveled on several occasions to cancun. We always have stayed at the higher end resorts (El Dorado Royale, Excellence, etc). This time we were trying to do a trip on a budget and our travel agent had recommended the sands. We were very impressed! I broke down to make it simple the pros and cons. But overall I would say if your trying to save alittle cash but still have a good quality fun hotel with good service and some of the luxuries of the more expensive hotels (top end drinks included, good dining options, activities), then Dreams is for you. If your there our favorite waiter was William (one of the best I have seen) so make sure you see him.

Pros:
Top end drinks (have to ask for it but is included)
Great entertainment teams (multiple events a day and a big show every evening)
Excellent children activities and daycare while on beach
Dinner was always excellent (portions are small but can always ask for more)
24 room service
Plenty of chairs and towels
Parasailing, Jet Skis and other water activities located right at hotel for additional charge
Spa services were excellent although alittle pricey. (They had daily specials however)

Cons
Ocean has lots of beautiful stones but can be challenging in spots to get in and out of water
Rooms aren't that great very simple but comfortable (stayed in standard room)
Main swim up bar pool was warm so we stayed mostly at other pool.
Free wi-fi hit or miss at beach (wasn't a big deal)

Hope you enjoy your trip
-The VanHeysts

Dear Peter V,

On behalf of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa Management and staff, we cannot missed this opportunity to express our gratitude for writing a sincere review about your stay with us.

We truly appreciate all your remarks and positive attitude, please be certain that we take all your comments very seriously, since they help us to improve day by day.

Our team looks forward to having you back in a not too distant future.

Warm Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at Dream Sands from 9th - 14th April. From the moment we stepped in the doors we were impressed. We were given cold towels and a glass of champagne at reception, then after we checked in our bags were brought to our room. The room was nice with a mini bar, which was filled with Water, sodas and beers. We were asked was our stay a special occasion and we told them it was out anniversary. The next day the staff had left a bottle of champagne a bowl of fruit and a sign on our door. Really nice touch. The hotel itself has a wide variety, with the perfect beach and 2 lovely pools. The choice of restaurants was great also, food was fantastic in all restaurants. We did have bad service and a complaint about one restaurant but when we went to the concierge they got the hotels food and beverages manager to sort this out. Everything was handled really professionally. When we were leaving our transfer to the airport never arrived. Helio (bellhop) spoke to our Rep and really went out of his way to help us. He organised a taxi for us and arranged with the Rep for someone to be at the airport to pay it for us. He really was so helpful and we were very grateful to him. I would return to this hotel again, in my opinion it was excellent.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
eConciergeMartin, Socila Media Assistant at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear dublingirl1979,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Best regards,

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!