“Great beach, great drinks, good food, and some great staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #79 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Boise, Idaho
“Great beach, great drinks, good food, and some great staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family of 6 stayed at Dreams Sands from 11/1/14-11/10/24. When we arrived, we were blown away by the front desk assistant. I can't remember her name, but she was from Chicago and she was awesome! She got us checked in to our two rooms and things were off to a great start.
Our kids loved the beach and pool. We overall had a great time for several days.
The food was good, we did all get sick at least a day or two on the trip, which wasn't great, but not a deal breaker. We went to Portofino's twice, it was by far our favorite!
Caesar, the waiter around the pool was amazing! We loved him!
We ventured out of the resort a couple times, and it is in a great location in the hotel zone of Cancun. It's a quick walk to the disco area, which was pretty cool.
We did have a horrible experience one day... We were robbed by hotel staff. When we reported the burglary, the night time concierge manager was somewhat nice and responsive about it. We were told to check in with the management team the next morning. I went down to the front desk at 9:00 am to speak with the manager and to see if we could request a different set of rooms that were possibly connected, due to our children being terrified of a staff member breaking into the room while they were sleeping. I spoke with the lead concierge who had the front desk manager come out to talk to me. I must say, he was the only rude person that we encountered during our stay, and he was HORRIBLE! He flat out told us that our children probably lost their money and didn't want to tell us. Keep in mind, that these children are 20, 17 and 16... Martin, who I am sure will respond to this review was very helpful. He told us that they had caught the employee who had been stealing money and items from the room and they had been fired. He offered us $200 in resort credit for the $160 in cash that had been stolen. We did find out from another couple of people at the hotel, that they had been robbed also. It was a horrible inconvenience, but we didn't let it ruin our trip.
They never did change us to a different room, which was a little scary. But, Martin assured us that the thief had been fired.
So, long review short. The rooms were nice, water pressure so-so, food was good, drinks were great, most of the staff were amazing and the beach was great. I can't say I will never come back, but probably not in a long time.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First experience at Dreams and loved it! Looking forward to going to other sister properties now. Previously stayed at Sandos Playacar which we enjoyed as well but felt some of there rules were becoming too much. Last time we were there we were not allowed to pull the beach chairs up to the ocean. Food, drinks, room, service all good at Dreams Sands. Enjoyed our stay for the price offered in December will be back if we could get that price again!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Hola - just got back from Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa after spending a week there with my wife and 2 kids (5 & 3). I have to say that we were a little nervous with some of the reviews but overall we had a great time. The staff is fabulous, the entertainment is very good, and the food was very good too. The pool, the beach and the location to other attractions around Cancun is really hard to beat. Our kids had a great time playing in the pool with other kids, and the Explorers Club made them feel right at home. I will admit that the resort is not perfect but most of the negatives that we ran into was due more to the age of the facility rather than anything the resort was doing. If they can continue to rehab and update the rooms that this will be a top resort in Cancun for years to come. This was my 3rd trip to Cancun but 1st time with kids. If I go back to Cancun I would definitely consider staying here again.
Here's a picture that I took of the pool from the first morning we go there.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Boscobel, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Our extended family of 16 stayed at Dreams Sands Cancun from January 9-16. Our group included two teenagers, six people in their 20's, and eight adults, aged 40-60. We were in complete agreement...we loved it!! Anyone reading this has seen some very negative reviews....don't believe them! We owe special thanks to Nancy Lopez, the assistant general manager of the hotel, David Gomez, the Preferred Club Manager, Martin, the eConcierge, and Laura, from the Preferred Club. Every day, at least one of them checked in with our group, to see if there was anything we needed. They arranged for us to be seated together at dinner, and on our last night, arranged a wonderful dinner on the beach for our family. We were able to try almost all the restaurants, and our hardest decision was which one to eat at more than once. The food was very, very good, service was wonderful, and we always had fun with the staff. Angela, at Hmitsu, was amazingly attentive, and helped to make a special night for our family even more wonderful. Our son proposed to his girlfriend, on the beach, and somehow, Angela found our group after, and brought a special cake that said "Mr & Mrs" on it. Emigilio, at Olio's, took special care of us each day, for breakfast and lunch, often re-arranging seating so we could eat together.

The beach is one of the best in the Cancun area! We have been vacationing in Cancun for 30 years, so feel qualified to make that statement! Plenty of beach chairs, beautiful views, and the beach volleyball is the greatest...in clear blue, shallow water. Always had something cold to drink, thanks to Diana's careful attention, and we had such a fun time with Giovanni, who even brought us green shots after the Packer's play off victory. Another great perk...the Sushi/Cerviche bar at the beach, where we could have fresh seafood treats every afternoon.

We had Preferred Club rooms. Everything was to our liking. Clean, comfortable, and had everything we need. All our rooms were cleaned every day, beds turned down every night, and our mini bars were restocked daily. Amazing sea views from every room! We also enjoyed the Preferred Club lounge, where there was always a huge array of snacks, and a stocked bar.

My husband and I also stayed at this resort in early December. We chose to return there, along with our family, because we loved Dreams Sands Cancun, and because we can truly say that the staff there works hard every day to please all their guests. This vacation was everything we hoped for!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Yes, you can tell the hotel has/is undergoing some major overhaul...however it really is becoming a "Dreams caliber" venue. Try running a full scale all inclusive and renovate every facet of the facility without a few sights and sounds to show for it...impossible!
First...the beach is pure beauty. Yes, the morning has some seaweed but it's gone before most even consider walking into the water. Hardly an issue I believe. Dreams knows how to pick a beachfront and this one is clear, calm, warm and vast.
Second, the staff are the most kindhearted, hard working group of people you'll ever meet. Tip them well, they so deserve it. The whole week I was there I never saw a bad mood, bad attitude, or inattentive staff member. From the grounds-keepers to the entertainment staff, all were genuine and pleasant all the time. Luis from Entertainment is awesome at his job...and he's a doll too!
Thirdly, I really have no complaints about the food. Breakfast was my favorite, and we tried every restaurant and all were delicious and unique and I left full and happy. Restaurant staff did a wonderful job keeping glasses full, removing plates and changing tables over for the next group of "eaters".
Other quick but important points: wifi worked great, I was very pleasantly surprised with that! Pools were clean and one was heated/kid friendly/near the entertainment area, and the other one was cool and more relaxing. Rooms were cleaned adequately and promptly. The shower/tubs were a bit odd with the glass not quite able to keep the water off the floor but the temps and pressure were just fine. Every time. No complaints. Fridge was stocked at least once per day, maybe twice?? Never was out of water or beverages.
Bathrooms around pools/bars were clean every time I used them. Gym was small and sparse, but it seemed like they were working on refurbishing it perhaps.
I'm an early riser...coffee was out in the lobby at about 6 and the coco cafe was open about 6:30.
I'm an early to bed person as well and our room was a balcony room on the 3rd floor so we could hear the music start up about 8:30 or so. Not terrible and it never lasted too late into the night. Might be an issue with little kids and trying to get them to sleep...so if that's your case, maybe request a higher up room? Not sure, but like I said, it never went too late into the night.
We had no problem with the transport to/from the hotel to the airport (had a private Amstar transport and it took maybe 20 minutes tops). I had no problems with timeshare solicitations or companies trying to sell me excursions or anything. However, I did not solicit or approach any of the desks or excursion people.
We had NO problem with any stomach/gastric issues. The water seems filtered quite well (I brushed my teeth with the tap water...not ingesting much, but probably some) and any foods cleaned with water must be cleaned with filtered water. I ate tons of fresh fruit and veggies. Water is plentiful in bottles and available EVERYWHERE.
We had NO problem with theft or any issues like that. Often we had our phones or cameras in the beach bag and we went into the water and swam or walked around the beach. Now, they were not left out in the open. That's just asking for trouble, leaving items out for anyone to be tempted by. There are people occasionally walking by from other resorts or beach houses and also locals walking by selling silver and jet skiing etc. We were always near the bar or hotel and the bag was tucked under the beach chair. Also we often were charging our phones in the room when cleaning came in and again, there were NO problems at all.
My only complaints have nothing to do with the hotel but more about patrons. There were some cases of people chain smoking in areas where yoga was going on or kids were running around playing. I don't know the solution...designated smoking areas??? Also I ran into several cases where hotel patrons were downright rude and just constantly complaining. Every single employee at this resort was kind and respectful and hard working. Please remember that each employee is busy doing their job and working hard and just because their disposition is quiet or calm doesn't mean they deserve disrespect. Tip them well and you will see them going over and above what's in their job description.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This place is a gem! All 38 of us are having a wonderful time. We are very happy with the food,service,rooms,liquor,beach. This is our 10th year of traveling together,we are seasoned travelers. We have enjoyed the Dreams in Huatulco as well as Riu's Allegra's , Fiesta Americana Condessa etc....The concierge Martin has made sure we are having a wonderful visit! My only complaint? We are only here a week!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Livonia, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We just returned Jan. 24th.. It is an older property..... Very hard to find much wrong though.......the gym would be better not advertised..... The food is very good with a choice of 6 formal restaurants. Try the tortilla soup @ the Mexican restaurant or for a real treat the shrimp salad @ the Waves and Sand is Outstanding. The beach area is very nice for swimming and wading. Our concierge Laura helped with any little bumps we had and even checked us out by printing boarding passes for our return departure. We love the no: wristbands, towel cards and no reservation need for dinner. The location is great.....right in the middle of Cancun. The nightly entertainment was appreciated...some nights better than others...Check out the Fire Show!!!! We are on a mission to try all the 4-6 star properties in Cancun and Riviera Maya......We would definitely come back here again!

Room Tip: Only the 5th through 8th floors have balconys