“Threatening Staff and Despicable Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #79 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Louisville, Kentucky
“Threatening Staff and Despicable Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Due to a booking error, our 1-week vacation was only booked for 1 night at this hotel. The staff checked us in and said their system probably had an error in it. At 9:30 pm on the 2nd day, a hotel representative called our room to say the hotel had only been booked one day and that we needed to staighten it out with Travelocity the next morning. She told us to come to the front desk in the morning and they would call on our behalf. What she did not say is for the 2nd night they were going to charge us the rack rate--the highest rate possible without a reservation. The next morning we asked them to call and they said no. We tried to book the room for the rest of the week with the hotel supervisor and he informed us they could not charge a cheaper rate because the night had already passed. They could not book with us privately--we had to go through our agency. When presented with the credit card voucher, I signed with a comment that I did not agree with the charge. Everything was polite up until this point. We then sat in the lobby on my PC to make a new reservation thru' Travelocity. The supervisor approached and said he was going to call the authorities to take us to jail unless I signed a clean copy of the charges--strong-arming us into paying the high rate.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Sometimes it isn't the prettiest looking but there's the heart of it that makes you fall and that's the case with this place. Honestly, we went a month after the "grand opening" and I use the term loosely, and it wasn't anything that could be called such. But after spending time with the staff and being around other people at the resort who just wanted to have a good time like we did, you couldn't help but fall for Dreams Sands. The staff was nothing but accommodating and whatever could be done in order to ensure your enjoyment- done. Not all of the food or drinks were tasty but whatever was tasty was really good. There is a lack of nightly activities but the walk to the clubs was not far and if you needed it, concierge would definitely get you a taxi. Overall, we enjoyed our time in Cancun and Dreams Sands was part of that.

Room Tip: Even though we didn't get a balcony room, any room with an ocean view is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

This is my first time writing a review so I'm going to try to hit all the key points...

I traveled with my husband, two kids(age 1 and 4), and two nieces (age 10 and 13). We stay at all inclusive twice a year. Normally we stay at Iberostar resorts. This was a last minute trip and dreams was the only thing we could really get. We always stay at 6 golden apple resorts. When I found out we were going to cancun i wasn't very happy. I love riveria maya. When we got to the hotel my first impression was it was way to small. We are used to huge resorts. I will tell you after a few days I began to love this small resort!

* Beach is amazing!!! Yes there are some rocks but also areas with no rocks. The water is amazing. To me it was a beach more like punta Cana.

* service was AMAZING!!! (We did preferred). During check in I asked for two connecting rooms bc of the kids. They didn't have any but went to talk to manager. They end up upgrading us to better rooms to get us connecting rooms. nice touch! The staff was very very!

* food was great. Barefoot grill has great burgers. Hot dogs ect. It was a nice place to grab lunch. Best thing about this hotel was all the special resturants. Everyone was great and you don't need reservations for any of them which I loved! They have a sushi bar that was amazing. World cafe is the buffet style place and it was good. Nothing amazing but comparable to all other resorts I've been to.

* drinks. The drink of the day was always fun and tasted great. They also have a drink of the day for kids which I thought was a great touch. The bar by the beach wasn't my favorite. The bartender wasn't very friendly. The lobby bar was great. They even gave the kids soda shots!! Overall the bartender in the swim up bar was the best. He was AMAZING!!!

* rooms... I loved our room. We had a room that had been remodeled. the hotel was just taken over as a dreams about 3 months ago so not all rooms are changed. I would request a new room. We were room 844 and it was amazing. The view was out of this world.

Spa. It was ok. Services were great. Soa itself was very small and not what I'm used to. Pools in the soa area sucked. I wouldn't waste the money on that stuff. Massage was expensive but very good. I went to the beach for the massage and it was nice.

Gym: very very small. Again not what I'm used to.

Perferred club was nice. I hear it's better in other dreams resorts. We really liked it though. Great view. Great staff

Pools. They were nice not huge but nice. Chairs at the beach were really nice. They also have the beds at the pool and beach and they were great. Go around 630 or 7am and put stuff on them. That way you have a seat. I would do that and they go back to sleep hahah. No towel cards either and you can't et as many as you like! Also no resort bands which I loved!!! There is two hot tubs by jet skis on beach. They are open to anyone and they are amazing!!!

Entertainment: The entertainment was great but they don't have a theater.The shows were all outside which we all ended up liking.There needs to be more entertainment at the pool during the day.they do have stuff for the kids to do and they really liked it.They had a rock climbing wall and a trampoline in the water that the kids really liked.

Kids Club: The place was really small but the staff were great and the kids loved.

• Stayed January 2015
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I have stayed 5 times at three different Dreams. Twice in Puerto Vallarta, twice in the Cancun Dreams with the Dolphin pool which is not longer a Dreams, and once here. We had a great time because we met great people, but I was not overly impressed with the facilities. Here's why:
Mixed Bag
While the beach is very nice and kept clean, because of the building angle, the sun doesn't hit any of the beach until almost 10am and the rest until almost Noon.
While the food was decent, it was not as good as the other two Dreams.
The rooms were not bad, but the water was either cold or scalding, and the temperature changed constantly while showering. Everyone we spoke to had the same problem.
I emailed before I went to tell them it was my anniversary and I got an email reply saying that they would make sure I got a nice room, when I got there they said they had not been informed it was my anniversary.
My husband came downstairs to check us out while I finished getting packed, and he gave the bellman two tickets and I gave them one. When I van arrived at the airport, my bag was missing. The driver called the hotel and they said it was my fault for not checking that it was loaded and they wanted me to pay for a cab to take the bag to the airport. Since they realized they only gave us two bags for three claim checks, they finally relented and delivered my bag, but we almost missed our flight.
The Bad
The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing.
We changed rooms and when the key didn't work after we had moved half our stuff, it took 1-1/2 hours to have someone fix the lock and I had to wait in the room or get locked out. When I called after all the security people left me hanging, they said they thought my lock was fixed.
Service in the restaurants was not as good as at the others and the food was not as good. It is probably still better than other all inclusives but next to the other Dreams it was a dissapointment. They seemed to be a little short on waiters.
The Good
The bar service was terrific as always. The entire bar wait staff was terrific. Ada, the beach waitress was the best. She was sweet, friendly and fast.
Alvin (Alvinado I believe) at the front desk made our room right the second day of our stay after the Anniversary misshap. He was great.
The concierge worked with the cleaning manager and found first my camera charger, and later the battery that I left in the first room. They went out of there way.
The chef at Waves and Sands cooked the fish we caught and did a wonderful job. He and the waiter went out of their way to make it a memorable meal, the best of the week.
Waves and Sands was the best restaurant. The burgers and hot dogs at the outside grill are great as are the impromtu barbeques they have by the beach bar. I had the best seafood rice I've ever had at one of those barbeques.
Loved the free wifi.
Hints:
Find Alejandro on the beach to book tours. His prices are good and he picks the best trips. His booth is on the right of the beach on the edge of the resort, but he isn't affiliated with them. We booked a boat for 4 people for five hours of fishing for $450. We also tipped the captain.
Bring lots of singles for tipping. The staff works very hard and tips are very appreciated. They remember who you are.
The giftshop is way overpriced so go across the street to Extra (not the Farmacia on the corner) and buy any toiletries or cigarettes you need.

I know this resort has only been opened about 9 months, and hopefully they'll improve. Next time I will try a different dreams.

Rensselaer, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've been to cancun ,for a weeks visit each time, sixteen times and dreams sands is our all time favorite resort. We have stayed at the old dreams with the dolphins three times and enjoyed the staff very much. When we arrived at dreams sands January 7th we were greeted by Luis from the entertainment staff who remembered us from the old dreams resort. It was a warm welcoming to see someone who is friendly and very helpful with lots of knowledge regarding the resort. He couldn't do enough for us. Every question was answered with a real genuine aim to please. How can you beat that?
We loved the lobster bake outside. The beach is perfect with white sands and great for children because the waves are not rough. Plenty of shade at the pool and on the beach if needed. The resort is very child and elderly friendly with little or no stairs. Don't worry about towels dreams sands does not have any problem with providing as many towels on the beach as needed without a tag system like many other resorts which is a real hassle. Our room was an ocean view(side view). I really prefer that view better then ocean front. Balcony not needed the window opens fully let the breeze flow in. The restaurants are very good. My favorite is Japanese . Reservations are
not necessary. We never had to wait to get in. Every night we got there between 6:30pm and
7:00pm and went right in to be seated. You can't beat the food at the buffet. Lots of choices.
We are returning February 12th and again March 11th. I'm looking forward to seeing Luis from the entertainment staff, the very efficient waiters Alfonso and Fernando at the buffet.. We liked them so much each day we requested to sit at there tables. They would have our drinks ready when we came in. You can't get any better service anywhere in cancun. We love it thanks dreams Sands mr.&mrs john chenette

Room Tip: We had a side view ocean. If the large window was open we could hear the music. It only lasted till...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had the MOST OUTSTANDING service from the time we arrived in this awesome resort. We had dinner at the Wind & Sands Restaurant and the presentation of the appetizers and the meal itself was 5 star quality...and the food was DELICIOUS!!! Chef Edilberto´s meals are TO DIE FOR: melt-in-you-mouth meals, excellent food preparation and presentation, overall staff attention was superb. We asked the waiter to please compliment the Chef for us; to our surprise, Chef Edilberto came out and greeted us!!! We appreciated him taking time away from his busy kitchen to meet us. As for our stay and personnel: they were ALL very attentive and personable. Everyone of them were/are very hospitable and professional; trying their best to make your stay as comfortable and welcomed. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS EXPERIENCE AND WILL RETURN SOMEDAY SOON....!

Room Tip: Request for patio overlooking the Gulf of Mexico (not the Lagoon)
Knightdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We booked a 25 anniversary/honeymoon several months back. We were so excited since our "honeymoon" consisted of a trip to the Shoney's breakfast bar. We booked a honeymoon suite that had our own patio, hot tub and outdoor bed. When we arrived there we were told our room didn't exist. They tried to blame it on our agent. Our agent is a dear friend who has never led me wrong so I knew that was total bunk. When I called them on that they offered us the difference in price , a couples massage and a romantic dinner on the beach. Our room was downgraded! Since we were already in crisis( husband forgot his wallet at home) we took what they offered. We asked for help to resolve out financial crisis but no one would even help us find out where to have money wired. When I asked to use their landline to call my credit card company's toll free number, I was told there would be a charge . I never even got the got the call through and gave up after a few try's. I then was forced to make an international call on my cell to fix the problem. The pathetic thing was when we got to the room we could see the honeymoon suites below us and they were under construction! Just tell us that but don't lie and try to blame someone else. We have traveled enough to know that if this kind of thing happens you usually get an upgrade or moved to a sister property. No one ever checked on us again. We had to ask twice for our massage vouchers. Our room was fine but it really was not what we expected for the money we paid. Our perks were polar opposites of enjoyment. The spa was amazing. I'm in that business and I'm not easily impressed. I think it's actually run by pevonia which is a spa brand of products. It maybe sublet . The romantic dinner was anything but. The wind blew out our torches and the table cloth was blowing off the table. We ate dinner by the light of our cell phones . The sad thing is I thought the resort while over priced for what we paid, was nice. Food and beverages were good, service was good and accommodations were good. However, because of our poor treatment and grand total refund of $100 we will never go back! Cancun is beautiful and I will be back just not to that property or any other property owned by the parent company. We are actually not jerks and if they had even tried to really do the right thing my review would have been very different.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!