“Staff is what makes this hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #77 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Seattle, Washington
“Staff is what makes this hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just came back from 10 day stay at the hotel. First and foremost thank you to the staff! they are amazing! They make sure everything is to your liking and I really appreciated it! Beach is amazing! White sand. Calm waters! Kids had a blast on the beach and in the pools. Hotel is a different story. Rooms are nice and big but remodel is cheap. Showers don't work properly, once you turn on water yellow water comes out. Our room flooded from A/C and my daughter tripped and fell hurting her back and elbow (this is common with 3 other rooms at least that we know of from our group of friends). Sound proof is horrible. You can hear people just walking. Sleeping - bring ear plugs - every move in the lobby and room next to you is heard. After few hours of rain, ceiling in the lobby and buffet started to give in. Multiple leaks with drywall separating and water coming from light fixtures. It was a mess! Food - great in restaurants. Buffet - was ok for the first few days but its the same thing every day. Outside - they wash dishes right in the sink with just rinse of water - no soap. I see them dropping all used glasses into a sink, than picking one up, rinsing and giving to customers. One time we saw unfinished drink being poured back into the main dispenser to be served to other folks. Not coming back for sure at this point. We had a large group of people and 5-6 of us got food poisoning. If you can, pick another hotel at least for the next few years Hopefully it will get better but now, I would stay clear! But again STAFF IS AMAZING!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
eConciergeMartin, Social Media Assistant at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Vera B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

Your comments will serve as an inspiration to our team to continue working with passion, ensuring our valued guests have an enjoyable experience with us.

Please be certain that all your feedback have reached our Management and we will work in our highs and lows, unfortunately we can see that you did not enjoy all the services we provided to you and your family. We apologize for any shortcomings in our end. The areas you have raised are under close revision with the Department Heads.

Regarding the mentions about the beverage department, we are deeply sorry about this unfortunate incident, and it is our hope that you would accept this note as a genuine apology for falling short of delivering a genuine Dreams experience, these deficiencies encountered are very atypical and not reflective of our brand experience; we assure you that we have in the meantime briefed the team at great length of your comments.

We likewise hope that you would be able to overcome with time the disappointment, and give us renewed opportunities to be of service to you.

Finally, we have opportunities to improve and we will use this feedback as a learning tool, we take into account all your comments and assure you that we will definitely work on them.

We truly hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you and your family again with us, and show you our improvements.

Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Lies... Lies... Lies... We live half the time in Mexico and half the time in the US... Normally hotel employees in Mexico are really friendly, here they are just out rude. I will give a quick summary of all the problems:
- Although there are beepers for restaurant reservations, the employees will let individuals without beeper in front of the rest... I´m not sure if they give them money or what. When you complain they just say it is not your turn yet.
- Around 6:00 pm when everyone goes from the beach to the room to take a shower they run out of hot water, so plan ahead your showers.
- They make you sign a nonsmoking pledge for your room and you will get to a room that smells like smoke.
- Everyone is complaining about water leaking from the roof of their rooms.
- I will assume this hotel is owned by a Mexican because this is the business philosophy of Mexico... instead of wanting return customers all they want is to get you once and get as much money as they can from you.

There a plenty of other options in Cancun so I would not choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room... floor 10 or 11.
Dear Colleen J,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed overview of your stay through this mean. Our guest’s feedback is truly appreciated in our constant commitment to improve our service levels.

We have taken note in our opportunity areas kindly mentioned on your overview. Please feel confident that we will take the proper measures to prevent reoccurrences like this in the future.

As you are still in our hotel, we kindly invite you to contact to our Concierge Manager, we will be more than pleased to hear you, and of course to help you in order to turn your vacations with us in a better experience.

We honestly hope that you can give us the opportunity to assist you while you are in home.

Best regards,
Cromwell, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I tend to only book Dreams properties due to the positive experiences. We were a group of 3 single people. Key points below:
- Service was great. Waitresses and bartenders were great. Not only provided great service, but were extremely personable. Diana, beach bar waitress, not only provided great service, but was fun to talk to. Hate to only mention one by name as just about all did a great job.
- Food - I was impressed by the buffet. I tend to only go to the buffet for breakfast, but this one was very good and I used it for lunch and dinner. Portofinos was very good. Room service food was also very good.
- Drinks - I'm a beer drinker. Would have liked more of a selection, but the Dos Equus was good. One friend drank champagne all vacation. We were pleased. Third member of our group was a mixed drink/frozen drink person - they thought many of the drinks were weak. Note: you can also order shots.
- Beach - one of the nicest Dreams beaches I have been to. Water was calm and we never had a problem getting chairs.
- Rooms - they initially gave me the wrong room. They quickly fixed that. The new room had a refrigerator that did not work, no clock and a light that was not plugged in because the cord could not reach any outlet. All three problems were corrected the first night. A new refrigerator was provided. A clock was brought to the room - although could never figure out how to set the clock. Plenty of hot water and the AC worked well. No balcony on my room.

Resort also had free wifi.

I would suggest they have a separate area for kids to get beverages. They were several deep trying to get frozen non-alcohol drinks from the bartenders every day. Tough for the bartenders as the kids don't tip.

I think this resort will be near flawless once all its makeover work is complete.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We had stayed at the Dreams Punta Cancún before and our experience there was SUPERB. The staff was extremely well trained for excellent service. Granted we had been there in low season and just visited the Sands which is HIGH season and they usually enjoy a significantly higher occupancy rate vs. the average of the area due to their high value.

So, our experience this time had a few small glitches; we learned that Dreams had just opened this property in September after acquiring the staff from another company. We could tell. The service especially was inconsistent. So, here are the things that are consistent with the Dreams experience, in my opinion (FYI we stayed Dec 17-22):
1) Excellent variety of restaurants and schedule management; Señor Mario in World Café distinguished himself in the way he treated us... Laura in Coco Café was awesome, but everyone in Coco Café was great.
2) Excellent food (fresh selection of proteins, fruits and vegetables and well-prepared meals
3) Appropriately maintained facilities including rooms
4) Amazingly beautiful and safe beach and pools
5) Excellent schedule of activities although we never used it -because we didn't want to, we can tell it was well done
6) Has a small, relatively well-stocked gym
7) Excellent staffing of beach waiters (taking drinks to us while on the beach)- Giovanni is great! he is my favorite!
8) Nice live-music entertainment at night for people who would want to listen to piano or guitar while having a drink from the bar. THis is at the lobby.

Here are the things I would improve to bring them up to real Dreams standards:
1) Beach bar-tenders- one of them, can't remember his name was absolutely awful and didn't even look at me when I would go to get water. That would NEVER happen in a real Dreams. Awful.
2) Wrong translations into english. Even though Spanish is my native language I could tell there were a lot of things that were labeled incorrectly for example in the restaurants; I think that's bad and gives a bad image to the foreign guests
3) I HATED the fact that the TV channels were in SPANISH. When we called to change them to english, they said that it wasn't possible. How can they not have TV in English with so many foreign visitors???? Very few channels and most of them in Spanish, unbelievable and some Mexican channels!! crazy! I hated this!
4) The maid service had many glitches like not getting the towels right or coming too late etc.
5) Concierge phone operators were not helpful and service oriented. We called to ask for a few things for the room and had to call several times because they wouldn't bring them. I didn't like this
6) Room service- extremely slow and got the orders wrong. Not good.
7) The beach is marked for swimmers so that jetskis can't come into that area but one jetskier came in and we later found out that it was a hotel employee which is crazy; we had to talk to the lifesaver in shift so that he would talk to him and ask him to leave the guarded area of the beach. Later on the same employee came into the area with a small boat. What was this about? The Pool Concierge Christian Chavez came to talk to us to apologize for the inconveniences and he was really nice about it and said they were to take action about the situation

Anyway, that's it. I would go back there after awhile when the Dreams culture has been implemented but it was a good experience overall and very good value :)

Room Tip: The building has 10 floors and on busy seasons you'd have to wait kind of a long time for the el...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

During my stay at this hotel, I experienced great service which to me is a plus...now the location of this hotel (beach wise) is indeed a good one because the ocean looks like a pool, no waves at all just calm water..although I do think that the all inclusive buffet should have more variety of foods.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Ouch. Not the holiday experience we were expecting.

1. We paid for an upgrade to Ocean Front...and got a view of concrete.
2. Unlimited WAITING. Wait for restaurant to open (late). Wait for bathroom (one stall for the entire men's beach crowd). Wait for restaurant to open additional tables. Wait for room to be ready.
3. Rooms are noisy. You can hear your neighbors conversation.
4. Hotel is pretty run down. Water is leaking from the ceilings. Bathrooms are not working properly.
5. Food is disappointing.

The effort level from the service team was good, but the deck was stacked against them.

This is a 3-star resort on a good day. Prepare yourself accordingly.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the upgrade. Ocean front...is not always ocean front. Very liberal interpretation...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
eConciergeMartin, Social Media Assistant at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear markjansen,

We appreciate the time that you have invested on writing an overview of your stay with us.

There seems to have been a number of deficiencies encountered which are very atypical and not reflective of our brand experience; if this stay was marred by irregular circumstances, we can only renew our apologies and assure you that we have in the meantime briefed the team at great length of your comments.

Please, as you are still in home, we kindly invite you to contact to our concierge desk from 7 am until 11 pm. We really hope that you can give us your confidence, as it would be a pleasure to assist you during your stay. It is in our best intention to offer you the exceptional customer services that characterize our brand.

Rests assure all our team will take care of you, doing our utmost to make these vacations an everlasting memory.

Please, do not hesitate in contacting us, we will be glad to assist you.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed for 7 days and absolutely loved it. We were nervous before going because of the bad reviews, but we were still very satisfied with everything. Our room was ready when we arrived and we even received a free upgrade to a full ocean balcony room. I think I spent more time on our balcony than the beach because the view was so beautiful! The construction noise wasn't bad at all. It took me a few days to settle in and really get into vacation mode, but once I did, I really felt like I was in paradise at Dreams Sands Cancun. As most people have said, the staff is amazing. Special shout out to Cesar in the main lobby bar - that guy is awesome! He remembered my girlfriend's name and my name and always had a fresh beer ready when my glass was empty! It's the staff that made the trip the most special for us.They really grow on you the longer you stay. The food was really good for the most part, but a few times it lacked taste and freshness.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!