We had stayed at the Dreams Punta Cancún before and our experience there was SUPERB. The staff was extremely well trained for excellent service. Granted we had been there in low season and just visited the Sands which is HIGH season and they usually enjoy a significantly higher occupancy rate vs. the average of the area due to their high value.
So, our experience this time had a few small glitches; we learned that Dreams had just opened this property in September after acquiring the staff from another company. We could tell. The service especially was inconsistent. So, here are the things that are consistent with the Dreams experience, in my opinion (FYI we stayed Dec 17-22):
1) Excellent variety of restaurants and schedule management; Señor Mario in World Café distinguished himself in the way he treated us... Laura in Coco Café was awesome, but everyone in Coco Café was great.
2) Excellent food (fresh selection of proteins, fruits and vegetables and well-prepared meals
3) Appropriately maintained facilities including rooms
4) Amazingly beautiful and safe beach and pools
5) Excellent schedule of activities although we never used it -because we didn't want to, we can tell it was well done
6) Has a small, relatively well-stocked gym
7) Excellent staffing of beach waiters (taking drinks to us while on the beach)- Giovanni is great! he is my favorite!
8) Nice live-music entertainment at night for people who would want to listen to piano or guitar while having a drink from the bar. THis is at the lobby.
Here are the things I would improve to bring them up to real Dreams standards:
1) Beach bar-tenders- one of them, can't remember his name was absolutely awful and didn't even look at me when I would go to get water. That would NEVER happen in a real Dreams. Awful.
2) Wrong translations into english. Even though Spanish is my native language I could tell there were a lot of things that were labeled incorrectly for example in the restaurants; I think that's bad and gives a bad image to the foreign guests
3) I HATED the fact that the TV channels were in SPANISH. When we called to change them to english, they said that it wasn't possible. How can they not have TV in English with so many foreign visitors???? Very few channels and most of them in Spanish, unbelievable and some Mexican channels!! crazy! I hated this!
4) The maid service had many glitches like not getting the towels right or coming too late etc.
5) Concierge phone operators were not helpful and service oriented. We called to ask for a few things for the room and had to call several times because they wouldn't bring them. I didn't like this
6) Room service- extremely slow and got the orders wrong. Not good.
7) The beach is marked for swimmers so that jetskis can't come into that area but one jetskier came in and we later found out that it was a hotel employee which is crazy; we had to talk to the lifesaver in shift so that he would talk to him and ask him to leave the guarded area of the beach. Later on the same employee came into the area with a small boat. What was this about? The Pool Concierge Christian Chavez came to talk to us to apologize for the inconveniences and he was really nice about it and said they were to take action about the situation
Anyway, that's it. I would go back there after awhile when the Dreams culture has been implemented but it was a good experience overall and very good value :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated along a breathtaking white sand beach in the heart of Cancun's Hotel Zone, sits Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa! Experience all the great inclusions of Unlimited-Luxury(R) at the newest beachfront resort of your Dreams in Mexico - where there's something fun for every age. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Viva Beach Hotel Cancun
- Grand Oasis Viva Beach Cancun