“Great Vacation, But needs work” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #84 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Pasadena, California
“Great Vacation, But needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I visited Dreams Sands Cancun in October 2014. We are both in our late 20s and have been married for 3 years. My expectations of Dreams Sands was pretty high before we got there, and it wasn't bad, we actually had a great time, but it wasn't quite what we expected. Maybe its because we have both stayed at other resorts in Mexico before and had a lot to compare our stay too….. Here is my review….

First impressions
When we first arrived it was 6pm, and when our driver pulled up in front of the hotel, I was kind of disappointed. All the other hotels nearby look so nice, you couldn't even tell there was resort there. When we first walked in no one handed us a drink, just some cold wet towels that I didn't know what to do with after wiping my hands. The check-in was easy and fast, but then instead of letting us go to our room, someone set us down and talked about the hotel and tired to push us to join him for breakfast for a presentation the next morning. I was so tired and he just wouldn’t shut up and let us leave. It would have been more helpful to tell us about the resort we were about to stay in rather then other Dreams resorts around the world.

Location
The location of the resort was ideal. Beach was beautiful!! We walked along the beach to the other hotels nearby and by far our beachfront was the best. Location was also very convenient if you wanted to walk into the city where the shops and clubs were. It was an easy and safe 15 minute walk.

Hotel and Room
The hotel is not a brand new hotel, its just remodeled. And the remodel is pretty good but still needs some work. You can tell that the building is pretty old. For example the toilets really need to be changed. Both in the rooms and the lobby. And there was one elevator up that can barely fit 6 ppl, it took forever to get to our rooms. And we couldn't even find the stairs to take instead. We stayed on the third floor, and on our way to the room the celling was so low, my husband would hit his head every morning. And he is barely 6ft. The room was very nice and clean, TV was good but only 1 English channel (TNT) on our last day I notice they added a couple more English channels but it was too late. We had no problem with pluming, or rain getting inside (we heard some ppl complaining that their room got flooded). We had a baloney which was nice, but the trees where blocking our view. Overall the room was nice, clean and modern (except the toilets where old). One thing that pissed me off was, the first 3 days the cleaning staff was come to clean our room after 5pm. We would go up to our room after swimming all day and room was still a mess. But after the 3rd day they where on time and everything was good.

Food was amazing, better then any other resort I’ve been too. Both the buffet and the restaurants where great and no reservations required, which was great. One thing didn't like was that we had to dress all fancy to go to the restaurants. That sucked, who want to go on vacation and get all dolled up. Not me, I just wanted to be comfortable. Dinnertime was ok to dress up, but even at lunch they wouldn't let my husband in unless he had a t-shirt or button up shirt. No one wants to go upstairs and change out of his or her swimsuit just to eat lunch. At least they should allow tank tops for men during the day.

Restaurant Service
The servers at the restaurants where also great, but sometimes they took forever to get back to you to take your order. I don't think it was their fault, I think its management that had some rule, because they all did the same long wait at every restaurant. And the funny thing was, everyone at the hotel said the same thing “Its my pleasure” it didn't bother us, we just found it funny. They probably had to sit through a seminar that told them to say that. Sometimes they would bring your drink after they bought the appetizer, which was annoying. But hats off to the chiefs, they are amazing.

Pool Side Service
William was a server by the pool, he took drink orders at the pool and beach side. He was the best, our favorite employee.

Entertainment
The entertainment staff needs to have a microphone. You can’t hear when they announce activities and there is no clock to keep track of the activities. Sometimes they would skip the activities listed on the paper. The pool nice needs to have music on all the time, and more active and lively. It was just to mellow sometimes. There are two pools and one should be the relaxing pool and the other can be the active pool. The poolside entertainment needs to kick it up a notch. Better and louder music and more energy defiantly. It would also be nice to have more games at the pool instead of the beach. At night the hotel needs to promote the shows and nightlife at the hotel more. It was our 4th day and we barely found out that there was a club in the hotel, but it was mostly dead. Entertainment needs to be better, the way it is now, it will not attract young people, mostly older couples.

Summary
Although my comments might seem negative, we did have an amazing time and didn't want to leave. I do recommend it defiantly and I do recommend the hotel work out some if its issues.

Room Tip: Balcony is defiantly worth it. we where on the 3rd floor and had no problems, unlike others on highe...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I knew people that stayed at Dreams before and know it as a very quality hotel chain so was really excited to find one for a good price! I had been to Cancun with my husband once before in 2008 and stayed at Oasis Viva Beach. We were both disappointed to find out that this "new" Dreams resort was actually the same exact place we stayed at before!! But we weren't going to let that get us down and we were going with another couple who had never been before so that made it different for us.

The lobby area is different from Oasis, much better with a view of the beach and the lobby bar is very nice! As other reviewers have mentioned, the staff were all fantastic but the hotel was booked to capacity due to the opening special price, so that made things a bit slow. The restaurants in general had good food, some better than others. With a few improvements this could live up to the Dreams name as the hotel is in the perfect location in Cancun. All in all, we thought this hotel was great for the price we paid!

The things we liked most about the hotel were:
Free wifi - even on the beach!
The 24 hour room service - took about 30-40 min and had good late night food
The beach! - volleyball in the water was fun, beach very clean water warm
Lots of restaurants had outside seating for a nice ambiance
We are big beer people so we enjoyed the selection of dos equis and sol
Absolute vodka - great brand!
The view from rooms - beach views, great sunset
Drink service on the beach - was a bit slow because they had a lot of people to serve but it's a great thing to have!
Lounge beds on the beach - very nice touch!

Things they could improve on:

Water temperature in showers - ours fluctuated from hot to cold, the other couple we stayed with never got any hot water

Noise level in rooms - we had a room that adjoined with another room and when the guy next door coughed it sounded like he was in bed with us! Needed to use ear plugs to sleep - the other couple did not have this issue though in their room down the hall

Service in restaurants - some were slow - the french place was very slow service and it was always hard to get water in the morning since breakfast was crowded - maybe open up another place for breakfast? We wanted to try Olio for lunch but waited 25+ mins to be seated and decided to go to buffet instead

Beach chairs - definitely should add some cushions to those!

Calls to the room to attend "welcome talk" - We all know it's a time share talk and we don't want to waste an hour and a half our precious vacation time - so stop bugging us about it! That was the only thing that really annoyed me. We said many times we were uninterested and kept getting calls. We had 11 messages about it after 4 days.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 929 and could hear right through the wall to the next room - view was nice though!
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If I would have based my decision on stay off the reviews, I would have missed out on one the most relaxing trips in a while. My husband and I stayed 2 weeks ago and the hotel was just fine. Is it a 5 star hotel, no but it doesn't advertise as such! Were there a few issues, yes were they life changing to a point I wanted to pack up and leave ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am a very picky person my home is very clean so no way would I pay money to stay somewhere that wasn't just as clean. Our room on the 10th floor was breath taking (corner suite). It was worth the upgrade. The room was very clean and the staff very attentive, although they forgot my M&M's in the mini bar one night! The food was not amazing but it was good, ironically the one restaurant I didn't want to eat in but did at my husband’s request was great, the French one! Overall our stay was pleasant we did just what we intended sat by the pool and did nothing. The entertainment staff was great my husband is not a shy guy so they all got along fantastic, their personalities shined through! I will say call and ask about the preferred program before you book it. It was not ready and I didn’t feel I received what I paid for. Although, the manager was very nice at explaining why it wasn't open and what he could due in return. We graciously accepted his offer to a dinner on the beach. Overall it was a great vacation unless you’re looking for spectacular this is a great place to vacation. I foresee it getting better as time goes by. We celebrated our 10 anniversary and the anniversary perks was an added bonus!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

First off I'm writing this review from the hotel on the wonderful beach : ) this place has exceeded all of my expectations! The staff is amazing and the room immaculate and the food was to die for!! The buffet is typical buffet food but when you eat at the restaurants you're getting great food! At the patio I ate so much food I couldn't even move! The staff is fantastic and are everywhere to assist you. It rained one night during the live music and quickly moved everyone indoors with a whole other music group within 15 min! They have activities during the day all day and they looked fun! I chose not to join in I'm more of a lay by the pool girl. The hot water was out for like 30 min one day but you're on vacation and we found something else to do in the mean time. I would definitely come back and would recommend to any oft friends : )

• Stayed October 2014
Naucalpan, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Since it was open just a month ago and is the first facility the chain bought and not build, few installations must be straightened. The holiday we had was full of happiness and joy provided by the staff of all levels, I have no doubt that human resourses is the best asset. I will mention some names of people that touched us by their unlimited kindness and nice attitude. Christian, Chief pool concierge; Polo and Johnatan in the beach bar; Jésica Hernández, Laura Islas, Jessica Uuh and Nancy Jiménez in the Lobby bar and Coco café; Ijtaí, Marisol, Ana and Johana the Restaurant Hostess; Karen and Dario the Entertainment friends; Mario, Gilberto and the Captain Lucio in world Café Restaurant; A wonderful lady Eulalia tha Quesadillas, tostadas, sopes and tortillas specialist; Roger and Berenice Lobby Hosters; Alejandro Delgado Bell boy Captain; and the food and beverages manager Mr. Alejandro. Special mention to the Cheff Manager Antonio Martínez and the fabulous Cheff Francesco. I may forget some of the wonderful people we have met but most of them have theTotal Quality Hallmark in their uniform and in their mind, will and heart. My whole family enjoyed the meals, a bit fatty sometimes, but gorgeus in meats, fish, sea food, fruits and vegetables. I highly recommend this resort located in a beautiful spot of Cancun with very warm, safe and quiet ocean. We were lucky Ciclone Nine disolved before arriving to Eastern Yucatan Península. Best coming during winter and spring, but the prize was very convenient and really worth it. If you are looking for luxury, a friendly atmosphere , a wonderful seaview, delicious food and international enviroment for a fair price, this is the spot to visit. I must mention that enviromental music is not very nice, they chose very repetitive melodies (chill out style) in the main restaurant (World Café), Coco Café and Lobby area during our stay.As a matter of fact their is a melody that last around 5 minutes with the very same monotonous note (I do not the name of it and even I do not want to know it) Congratulations to Mr. Navarro General Manager for the good job and excellent motivation to all employees. This Hotel will be the best of all chain in a little time, just fix the whole facilities real soon.

Room Tip: Best rooms are near the top of the building (seven and eight floors, but not the uppers)
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Kingston, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The offer made you believe it was the original Dreams, but is actually the old Oasis. You have to ask for the balcony when you book and you may or may not get it upon arrival. The plumbing is tricky throughout the day as hot/cold water will shut off independently of each other or all together. I got stuck on the elevator with a manager and took about 10 minutes to get it going again. The girl at the World Café spoke no English and I could not make her understand that you DO NOT put a bun on the grill next to RAW chicken. I tried to tell her supervisor that and he just smiled, said yes, and walked away. Now for the good! The staff will try to do what they can for you. The beach and two pools are outstanding. All the specialty restaurants are up to 5-Star standards. Mr. William at the Bordeaux was the Best waiter we had, but it was outstanding service at the others also. The maid service was exemplary. The beach was spotless and very kid friendly. We were excited and pleased to re-meet with Giovanni from the old resort. Overall, given time, the new Dreams Sands will be back to 5 Star status and without a doubt WE WILL go back!

Room Tip: YOU MUST request a balcony and the rooms are no smoking.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Housatonic, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We arrived at he hotel at 3:00 PM and were cordially greeted by the front desk staff. We had a drink in our hands within 5 minutes. Check in was a breeze and we received a free upgrade to a full ocean view room.

While the room was not as nice as some of the other Dreams hotels we have stayed at, it was perfectly fine and the mini bar was well stocked with beer and water.

1. The staff was the most well trained and courteous group of folks we have ever encountered. Folks like Inis, Fernando, Wilbert, Bo Derek, Jonathan, and so many others were just wonderful.

2. The food was excellent, though the fillet minion at Portofino had us coming back 3 times. The buffet and the other restaurants were also excellent.

3. The place was spotless and will only get better as more and more Dreams touches are added to this older building.

4. The beach was large and the sand imaculate.

5. The 2 pools were large and clean. Families favored one pool and adults, the other.

We had a great time!

Room Tip: I think all rooms have an ocean view, but some have better views than others
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
eConciergeMartin, Social Media Assistant at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Ronbiz:
Thank you for choosing the hospitality of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa and for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience.
We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our staff´s attentive service. Also thank you for letting us know the performance of Fernando, Wilbert, Bo Derek and Jonathan you can be sure we would congratulated them for the high quality service they provided you and that you enjoy all of our restaurants, especially Portofino nad our nice beach.
We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!