“Most Enjoyable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #88 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
New York
“Most Enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We just arrived back home last night and I have to say I miss DREAMS. We arrived last week and weather was perfect all week - SUNNY and 85 degrees. We left on a rainy day so made it somewhat easier to leave!

We arrived at DREAMS around noon and service began immediately --- a cold towel and champagne! What could be better? (We would have preferred to not have to sit through Vacation Club sales pitch.) Our room was not ready until 3 pm so we were brought to Olio's for lunch on the beach and it was great. We had requested a balcony oceanfront room on 7th floor -- and it was beautiful. Well stocked refrigerator with beer, soda, and water. King size bed and large bath towels. Perfect. Shower was powerful and tons of hot water. Only problem was that it has a half door so a lot of water ends up on the outside floor. We used a lot of towels on the floor. But maid service is excellent and they replenished towels often. Turn down service at night was also excellent with chocolates and one night we even had rose pedals! Robes and slippers also provided.

Restaurants are excellent - our favorites were Portofino for Italian and El Patio for Mexican. Service is excellent and food delicious. Olio was great too - beachfront tables!

Did not love the music at the main pool. I think they should change the 'techno' to something more people can relate to. It just gets to be too much after a while. However, the other pool is fantastic and relaxing.

I cannot say enough about the service at DREAMS. Everyone wants to get you whatever you ask for. They are so accommodating at extremely pleasant. They respond "my pleasure" to almost anything you ask for. Fantastic!

I believe they are still working on being better - but we had a great vacation and would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Denver Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Now that Dreams is no longer our host at Cancun’s “original Queen”, Camino Real…parent company AM Resorts, (the American upstart fast-developing a reputation for spreading new polish on old jewels) went down the street looking for a new challenge…and they did not have to go very far. Oasis hotels had a “Lady in waiting” in the 1980’s “Viva” needing a major face-lift and it turns out Dreams was the right “suitor”.
“So much to do in so little time” could be a recipe for disaster with any other company. But not AM Resorts. Here’s the top three reasons why I think Dreams chose to do the make-over on this old gal! If you love Cancun (as I do) you’ll choose this hotel first, for it’s location, close to shopping and nightlife.
First impressions happen just this fast…our car is greeted by a cheery bellman, I take one step and glass doors slide open to bathe us in cool fresh air and hip dance beats, I look straight ahead and I am stunned; ten feet in front of us is the beach! Ding, ding, ding. This is why you came on vacation! Yes, I can admire AM Resorts for saving an old family jewel (I love re-purposing). Yes, I love the friendly vibe they so easily create with their confident and friendly staff (genuine hospitality comes from a company that’s taking care of it’s employees). And yes, I can effortlessly move from one good restaurant to another never needing a reservation. But that beach… Thank you AM Resorts for not taking the easy route. Your loyal clients will overlook her few foibles and help you realize your Dream, “to save Cancun, one resort at a time”.

Room Tip: Get "High" in the hotel and make sure your reservation says BALCONY or you may not get one...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

A very clean and efficiently run hotel. The staff and location make this a great place to be. The accommodation is kept in excellent condition and is being cleaned constantly. A few very minor issues with some food being unavailable on a couple of occasions but hardly worth mentioning. A very enjoyable beach meal arranged by the pool concierge, Christian was a highlight. Activities and games arranged by the entertainments crew were always good fun and a special thanks to Luis for being so good. Restaurant waiting staff namely Ivan, Enrique, Felix, Feliciano, Jose and bar waiters and waitresses Yuri, Suki, Laura, Jonathan and Ada were all very good and most helpful.

• Stayed October 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It's a old hotel they Re-Vamped
First and foremost The people that work there ARE GREAT. Service is #1 at this hotel.
Booked a Balcony room got a preferred room at check out.
Defiantly do the Romantic/private dinner by the beach or ask for the Wine cellar room ;) amazing dinner!!!!
The buffet doesn't offer much but a lot of restaurants to choose from
The ELEVATORS are hot and you wait forever for them is the only thing I would change

• Stayed October 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I am currently here at the hotel and we are having a great time. Yes there are a few issues, especially with the rooms but in time hopefully the hotel will sort this out.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a cold towel & drink and of course the amazing view of the beach. Check in was a little lengthy as they didn't have our booking as we had amended it a couple days earlier, but not a problem as we just had a bite to eat in one of the restaurants while they were sorting it out. We kindly declined the information talk on the hotel (which I'm sure was the timeshare chat!) and they respected our wishes.

All the restaurants are great, plenty of choice and the staff are so friendly and can't do enough for you. Favourite restaurant so far is Olio as the staff are excellent and having the view of the beach is amazing. Food is very good and there is always something delicious to eat in all the restaurants.

Coco cafe is a nice touch with fresh coffee, pastries, crepes & ice cream served all day. The girls running it are so sweet and lovely.

The pool areas are good but they do however play very loud music by the pool and most of the day. I think for a hour or 2 is fine but when you are trying to relax it is very difficult with a constant banging in your head. Even on the beach you can still hear it so there is no getting away from it. There are a few guests that enjoy the music all day long but majority I have spoken to would rather it was kept to a minimum. Beach sun beds are VERY uncomfortable as they have no mats for them and you are not aloud to take the ones from the pool for the beach. Most guests end up with several towels on top of each other trying to pad them out.

Great choice of drinks at the bar. Loads of cocktails but they could do with a drinks menu to stop constantly asking the staff what's that drink called! They don't use premium brands unless you ask, but all drinks still delicious so I don't have a problem with it. They serve you drinks at your sun bed and constantly asking if you want a drink. Sometimes surprising you with a drink if you can't make up your mind what to try next!

The rooms are a good size however they could do with updating. The furniture is old and although plenty of room in the wardrobe, the doors are hard to slide and feel they are about to fall off! Bathrooms are ridiculously small, maybe ok for 2 people but we're a family of 4. No bath, just a shower with a very small screen which floods the floor. Managed to keep the flooding to a minimal with not having the pressure so high and taking beach towels from the pool so not to use our room towels to mop up.

In summary, if you are looking for a relaxing retreat, this place is not for you, but if you want a good value all inclusive resort with a good location then this place is ideal.

Would I go back, maybe not unless I got a great deal.

Stayed October 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We came and stayed here for 11 nights. The staff are all very friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay as fun as possible. The food in all the restaurants is absolutely lovely, especially portafinos. The beach is absolutely beautiful!! Trying to get beds around the pools can be a little difficult but there are more than enough on the beach. The drinks aer all made with top shelf spirits, they definitely got us drunk haha! I would recommend visiting the jolly roger for dinner and a show! It was fab, really fun and we all enjoyed it (aged 18-44). Also, the dolphins on isla mujeres are probably the best to visit as they're all kept on natural enclosures and it's obvious the staff there really care about the animals. All in all fab stay at Dreams ☺

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Whistler, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just spent a week here. The staff at this hotel are great, very friendly, courteous and go out of their way to help you. Had a facial at the spa and it was awesome, although very expensive, even after the $40 coupon, it was close to $200. I didn't get to try most if the restaurants because of the dress code. I think they should allow nice shorts and a nice short sleeve shirt, long pants covered shoes and dress shirts are uncomfortable in a humid environment and the ladies get to wear cool summer dresses so men should get to wear comfortable clothing as well. My room was average, had a few issues, tub drained super slow, so only quick showers, my t.v. didn't work the first night and the maintenance guy took so long to show up I had to call down and tell them to send maintenance tomorrow as I was going to bed and that was the same for the time I called for the tub and the guy didn't fix the tub. Room service food was sub par, although room service staff were great, The restaurants I did get to try was the same food ok service great. They need a new management team for the kitchens, you can tell they are just trying to get it done and don't care to much about quality. Having said that, I talked to people staying at other all inclusives in this price rang along the beach who wouldn't eat anything at their resorts, so maybe I'm expecting to much. I would stay here again, only because the staff were awesome.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting the balcony room not worth the up grade, get a room on a lower floor as ele...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!