“Resent stay at Dreams Sands Cancun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Grand Oasis Viva)   |
Ranked #113 of 173 Hotels in Cancun
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Resent stay at Dreams Sands Cancun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I recently stayed at this resort Sept 4th- Sept 11th. The beach is AWESOME!!! This is like the 6th resort that we have stayed at in 19 years at Cancun and the beach here was the best to me because there are very minimal waves. Great for kayaking and wind sailing. Thanks to the guy with the boats.I forgot his name. Daniele who is the entertainment director was very lively and fun to be around. Thanks Daniel for all your help. I still love your little button nose .Gregorio! All the bar tenders make great drinks and are friendly and quick. Especially if you give them a tip. I thought that the food was Ok but that's what I say about every resort that we go to. Olio's was friggin AWSOME. Hardly any wait time. My wife on the other hand loved the food!The best rooms are on the 1st floor. You get your own deck patio with spa and round bed to lay out on and it over looks the main pool.We did not stay in one of those rooms but they did give us one as a hospitality suite till our non-balcony room was ready.So at 2pm we then hit the beach and they said that we could come back at any time after 3pm to get our room.We stayed out till 5pm and came back and they were very nice and moved our luggage to our home room.Our room was perfectly clean and looked brand new. They even tie the toilet paper with fancy string. Room service was quick and kind.This is the first resort that I have never turned on the tv. That's how much fun and enjoyable this place is. Every area that we were in was always being cleaned and taken care off. All the waiters were super. Hell if they do not have what you want where you are, they will go and get it for you from anywhere. They do have top shelf boose but keep an eye on them because if they run out they may grab the bottom stuff but you can just ask for top shelf and they will get it for you at their first opportunity.There is a lot of shopping within walking distance.Complaints:Took 45 minutes at least every night to get into restaurants. Any how this place is all what you make out of it. My wife and I met people from all over the world and had a great time. For the price that we payed I would give it a 4 star rating! To me it still has some room for improvement before it is a five star.This review comes from a 42 year old man who has been married for 19 years and has been going to Cancun since our honeymoon. I was greeted every day by the waiters and bartenders ,that knew me, by name. I thought that was nice.Have a great vacation and I hope this review helps you out. Greg

Room Tip: Room 235 was quite. In fact this place is the quietest place my wife and I have ever visited. Until...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just returned. First bad review I've ever written. The balcony room we paid for was obviously not available. After putting up a fuss they found us a balcony room but the curtains were half hung and the rest were on the bed; TV not hooked up, no lamp shades!, no chairs for table,a/c blowing out moldy smelly air. But the kicker was the Christmas twinkling lights at windows. Our flight was delayed and we did not get into a suitable room until 2:30 am. At that point, I was too tired to argue over not getting a balcony. At 3:00 am the following night a/c shut down for about 7 hours and no water for a short time. When a/c came on... never had any control over the temp. We stuffed the 2" gap under the entrance door with towels to help keep out the sweltering heat as the halls and elevators had no a/c. Tub didn't drain when you took shower. Water went on floor. Seemed to be a common problem among many. Temp of water kept going from warm to cold. No fan in bathroom, one outlet in room. Specialized on site restaurants ran out of food early. Guests were turned away every night. The "Waves & Sands" lunch cafe had no food available on day 2 except for about 3 items off menu. We settled for Nachos and cheese. Heard from folks at pool that several got sick week before from hambergers so they pulled the food. Not sure if that was true, but that is what I heard. Forget top shelf liquor. Poor quality wine - they only carried one line. Went out and bought my own. Would have paid for a nice glass if they had it available. Construction started around 10:00 a.m. everyday. I recorded the noise. Don't buy into the $200 coupon deal if booked between certain dates. This was a come-on. Could only use $40 for one service like a massage and the other $20 for another service. We had to listen to a AMRESORTS speel before they handed us our useless coupons. Massage started around $175. Went across the street & got the best ever message for $54 at the Bamboo Spa. Ask for Gloria. No computers at the business center. It got to be funny. I gave it a 3 stars rather a 2 because it had a good location close to the busstop and shopping, beautiful beach, beds were comfortable, rooms were cleaned, and staff worked over and above to assist as well as the bartenders. Actually felt bad for the staff having to deal with some guests and their problems.The buffett breakfast, lunch & dinners were good and there was enough choices. I'd give this place some time to get its act together. I think they pushed opening too soon and as the week went on it started to show some improvements.

Room Tip: Rooms in the center part of the building on the 7th or 8th floor overlooking the pool with a balcon...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have submitted several reviews as love my holidays and travel 3 / 4 times a year. This is my first negative review in my 8 years of travel!
I had to think long and hard before posting / but even after meeting with the assistant manager who did nothing I think it is only right to give some account of our stay.

Booked for 5 people / 3 rooms / On our first full day at the hotel we had an amazing day at the beach which is stunning and was quite happy to over look a number of issues at this hotel but things really did not go well! This hotel should not have opened as it only tarnishes the dreams brand. We stayed in a dreams resort in 2011 and it was spectacular but will now never return to dreams.

All of the staff are lovely but this place is so far from 5 star I am quite astounded how they have gained this star rating

1. A 5 star hotel would clean your room / ours and the party of 3 we are staying with did not have theirs cleaned. We arrived Monday/ tues when we returned from the beach at 5pm room not cleaned so we thought ok / never mind. Next morning on Wednesday I went to reception and asked if they could do it. Wed it was cleaned. On returning to room on thurs evening / room not cleaned again. So next day / fri we asked again for it to be cleaned/ this went on and we realised unless we went to reception to ask it was not going to get done. Same issue in the other room out friends had. The worse thing here was I submitted a complaint to the concierge who came and met with me with the assistant manager on Wednesday morning ( we originally booked 4 rooms and were told 3 days before flying the hotel was fully booked and had no more rooms so one of our party had to share). When meeting with the assistant manager she apologised / was told about the room cleaning / also told we could not get a table of 5 for dinner in ANY restaurant as they only had tables of 2 or 4? Even after this / absolutely nothing was done to rectify anything during our stay so unfortunately no choose but to post this review.

2. Facilities advertised. The restaurants which are detailed on line are not actually all open every night! Some of them open on some nights / this changes on a daily basis and you have to check the hotel newsletter for which ones are actually open. We only found this out when we were trying to find somewhere to eat/ went to Italian which was closed and no signs/ went to Mexican and closed with no signs / walked round to Mediterranean and begged to add an extra chair onto table of 4 so we could sit together for dinner. Not 5 star luxury guys!

3. No reservations accepted at any restaurant / every time we went for dinner we were given an hour to hour and half wait for a table / which was fine / we hung in the bar and waited so when we thought of booking a table in advance we were told no reservations and it would be better if we went to dinner at 6.30pm to avoid waiting. Really? But you could reserve a table in private area if you purchased wine from the wine list. Again - really?

4. No loungers available if you come down after 9am. At the time of our stay the assistant manager told us the hotel was at 60% capacity. Given that a lot of the rooms in the hotel are not ready - this is their current max capacity which they can hold. So god only help what lounger situation will be like when they actually at 100% cap? we did not get even one lounger at the pool over 8 days / and we had to be at the beach for 7.30 to have a chance of a lounger at the beach. Had to be up earlier to get one at pool which we were not prepared to do whilst on this supposedly relaxing luxury break.

5. The state of the lifts is actually horrific. There are 2 in the lobby / One was broken down on 2 occasions on our stay. Felt very nervous getting in every time as they were in such bad state of repair but we risked it as didn't want to climb the 10 flights of stairs. I have never seen anything like this and I have stayed in over 35 hotels via work and holidays

6. Saw at least 5 people hurt their knee / Broken toes / foot injury / ambulance at least twice / saw hotel paramedic constantly called out Due to poor signage every where that there was a hidden step around hotel / at the desires bar / the dance floor has step up/ was there one evening / very bored and counted over 17 people trip and bash their toes in their open toe sandles on the step up.

7. Construction / I am sure this will eventually stop however I can't see it for several months / drilling was crazy / when going back to room to relax and shower around 6pm noise was ridiculous. The rooms are shockingly bad state of repair/ I have stayed in a much cleaner 3* ibis hotels in Europe where the standard is not even that high (sorry for generalisation) than this place. We had 3 rooms and all the bathrooms leaked. Used 3towels on floor to mop up water daily. Again we did raise this to reception as water was not coming out due to the glass but actually leaking from under the tub but they said it was normal. Also the first tub I have ever stood in to take a shower where the tub floor actually wobbles because it was ready to give way! And I am only a small ! Walls extremely thin so I didn't need an alarm clock / woke up daily when the people in the room on the left flushed their loo or the people in the room on the right had breakfast or coughed. So again / where is the 5* luxury? On one evening I had to call reception twice due to the loud music being played at 3.30am in another room and they had to call out security / I am a young person on holiday with some young friends and we like a party so I promise I am not being difficult but this was really nuts! If we wanted this type of hotel / we would not have booked a luxury dreams resort.

The pictures of the preferred club rooms same as normal rooms / from the 3 rooms we had / all were equally awful. We learned how to manoeuvre from the mould in the bath room very quickly though.

When I saw the bad reviews before coming to this hotel I thought the place is just opening / I am sure it won't be as bad as some people say / just some teething problems but I made a big mistake. It is very sad that the hotel can get away advertising their 5 star luxury when there is nothing of the sort at this hotel. I would say 3 star at best. If you want an amazing beach and compromise on everything else / book it but don't have any expectations for anything else.
Very let down.

• Stayed September 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I along with 9 other family members recently stayed at Dreams Sands Cancun. We expected, going during opening week, that we might encounter a few problems. Sadly, that was not the case; it was horrendous. Our group had 5 rooms, so we know we were not just unlucky to get a bad room. It is unimaginable the AMResorts would put their name on this property.

Upon arrival we were greeted with refreshing clothes (others in our party were offered champaign at check in) and escorted to the front desk where it took nearly 30 minutes to check in, even though there was no one ahead of us. Walking away from the front desk we were accosted by an employee who insisted we sit down at a table in the lobby. I told him that we were going to our room. He again insisted that we should have a seat as this was the “procedure”. When I again resisted, we were instructed to meet him in the lobby at 8:00AM the following day. Hard to believe that the resort would stoop hounding their guests with sales presentations. The lobby did not appear to be renovated except for the cheap-looking, uncomfortable furniture. Nor were the elevators updated or air conditioned. There are two in the lobby to service 10 floors. On one of the days, one was out of service.

The room was not anywhere close to luxurious as promised. The furniture was old with nicks and water rings. There was a bistro set that was a flash back to the 80s. A sofa and coffee table would have been much more useful. The beds had only sheets, some decorative pillows and a scarf at the foot of the bed, no topper. The bathroom was big enough for only a shower and toilet (some rooms did have a larger bathroom with an old, rusty bath tub). The shower was an open design, so water went everywhere. There was only one sink (outside the bathroom) with very limited space for toiletries. The wash clothes and hand towels were new and fluffy, bath towels were not. Some rooms had robes and slippers, ours did not. The sliding closet door had to be opened and closed with two hands as it was not on the track properly. In my son’s room, the shower head fell off the shower wall. There was a new digital scale, mattress and perhaps a headboard. The flat screen TV had a very fuzzy picture. The channel guide provided did not correspond with the actual channels. The two chairs on the balcony were the white stackable ones you can buy at Home Depot for $6 and there was no table. Housekeeping did a good job; the rooms were clean. After leaving a tip one day, we returned to the room to find rose petals on the bed.

The buffet was terrible. We sometimes skipped meals. Vegetarians had a difficult time as many of the potato, egg and vegetable dishes contained meat. For those who wanted meat, there was no bacon or sausage available at breakfast. The bread at breakfast appeared to be store bought sandwich bread. The scrambled eggs were runny and unpalatable. There was an omelet station, but the American cheese used was Velveeta-like processed cheese. I would think it almost impossible to mess up lunch. Wrong! There were lunch meats available for sandwich making, but no cheese. One day, the salad bar consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, and pickled corn. The next day, the salad bar consisted of 7 types of dressing, but nothing to put it on. Desserts were a joke; every day the same 5-6 items, all bland tasting. The hot food were not kept hot and some things were so dried out that they were inedible.

The sushi restaurant is advertised as open daily from 1:00-3:00. Three of us went one day. We stood at the entrance for 10 minutes without anyone acknowledging our presence. I finally approached a server and asked if we could have a seat. I was told there were no tables available. That was obviously not true, there was an empty table that just required bussing. Three types of sushi were available and it was suggested that we get some of each. After about 30 minutes, we were each brought one piece of each of the three varieties. We dared not order more as we did not know how long that would take. Instead, I asked for chips. I was told that the chips were only for those ordering ceviche. I tried going back another day, hoping for a better outcome. I went at 1:15 and was told they were not open yet.

The pool area had sufficient seating and servers were around frequently to bring drinks. The beach area is lovely with lots of palm trees, lounge chairs and palapas. The music at the larger pool was quite loud and on some days had a live band. There was a smaller pool that was relaxing.

Most of us thought that the Bordeaux restaurant was pretty good, although the portions were not large enough for some. When we were not offered dessert, I asked if I could have the tartin that I had seen on the menu and was looking forward to throughout the meal. I was told that none of the desserts on the menu were available. Sensing my disappointment, the waiter went to the buffet and brought us a plate of the bland offerings.

Another night, we tried Olio. Pizza is a big part of that menu, however none was available that night. Nor were the empanada or vegetable appetizers. Olio, I believe, is the only sit-down restaurant open for lunch. Many of the items on the menu were not available at lunch including pizza and hamburgers.

The ice creams shop did not have ice cream, just coffee, pastries and appetizers.

One night we ordered room service. We were not sure what the menu was as our room did not have a guest directory. I ordered a cheeseburger, fries, a cheese quesadilla and iced tea. After one hour, I received a call saying that they did not have iced tea and asked if there was something else I wanted. When the food finally came after an hour and 15 minutes, it was cold. The quesadilla consisted of two tortillas with a piece of cheese in the middle that appeared to have been microwaved.

Construction was going on day and night. There was hammering and electric saws to keep us awake at night. Air conditioning operated only some of the time. One night the temperature in our room reached 82 degrees. One night we had no water. In one of our party’s rooms the phone did not work. The hallways were not air conditioned and sometimes not lit at night. Tiles were so badly damaged in our hallway that it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to them. One night, at dinner time, there was a huge sewage back up just outside the specialty restaurants, creating quite a disgusting odor.

On a positive note, the staff was very attentive. Every evening there was either a sax player or a piano player playing in the lobby during happy hour.

It is interesting to note that an equal number of the reviewers rate this property as very good or excellent as rate it poor or terrible. Same with some rating the food as good and others rating it as poor. Did we all stay at the same resort? I’m often skeptical when I read a negative review, thinking there are some people who are never pleased. This was not the case here. I was expecting a Dreams experience and received a value hotel experience.If this would have been my first experience at an AMResort, I would never return. I’m sure there are many other things that I have omitted. This place has a long, long way to go to live up to “unlimited luxury”.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I am here now the weather is lovely and hotel is wonderful I wish people would stop moaning
The location is out of this world
The staff are so helpful when we arrived after a long day flying we where given a cold flannel and a glass of bubbly
The food is very good I really don't now what more you could want

• Stayed September 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Upon arrival our room was not ready until we agreed to a sales pitch. We had no water for part of a day. We had no air for one night. Painting and hammering all day. Food the first two days was very limited. The staff was great!!

Room Tip: Rooms had a great view.
england essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Arrived 4 days ago wasn't sure what to expect after reading some bad reviews but wasn't as bad as people said. Our room was ready and we got what we asked for partial ocean view with balcony. Room had been redecorated clean and tidy housekeeping very good. Toiletries restocked in bathroom.

So far we have tried 3 restaurants portofino, olio and buffet and all are very good excellent service and great food. Bar staff are extremely efficient as we're beach waiters always asking if you need drinks.

Location excellent. If you are after great food, great drinks and wonderful polite staff you will not be disappointed. Just go gave fun.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!