“Stinky Renovation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Viva

Save Saved
You added Grand Oasis Viva to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Viva
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Viva Beach)   |
Ranked #81 of 172 hotels in Cancun
fredaddy
“Stinky Renovation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of an all-inclusive Vacation Express package. 2nd day they started renovations. They were using saws, chainsaws, scaffold on walls with ropes hanging from the top of the hotel. There were ladders and cords in walkways. Elevators worked sporadically. Restaurants that were supposed to be open were not. They opened the sewer access next to one of the pool bars in the middle of the day and the putrid smell wafted across the courtyards and pools. Their solution was to: 1. Move to another room. (there wasn't a room available where the noise would be less) 2. Spend our days at a sister hotel. Really? I wrote a letter to Rene Jongmans, whom I believe is a lover of travel and understands tourist point of view. Of course, the letter never got to him even though it was addressed to him specifically. O got a reply from a secretary (Vice President?) "apologizing" for "any inconvenience" we may have encountered. Really? May have encountered? Did she read what happened and still couldn't apologize for specific offenses? Then the letter went on to say how the staff had tried to accommodate us. They lied that they had offered to MOVE us to a different hotel, which they did not. I asked for a full refund seeing that the only really good time we had was when we rented a car and left for the day. They gave us a voucher for 2 free days at an Oasis property.

On a brighter note, the staff were very friendly and actually understood our frustration. The restaurants that were open served adequate food but were often short staffed and seemed unprepared or rushed at meal times.

We spent a lot of money on this vacation and took time from work. This was to be a very special time for my wife and I. We were robbed of this and Vacation Express has taken no responsibility for the problems we encountered.

Room Tip: The "bar" in the room is warm. If you need to keep something cool, like insulin for examp...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations, but we wanted to let you know that all of the renovations and improvements on our facilities are for the benefit of our guests.

The maintenance of our facilities is extremely important to us so our guests can feel comfortable and have a great time at our hotel. All the changes will allow all of our guests to enjoy a greater variety of restaurants, bars and entertainment.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any inconveniences we caused and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again in the future so you can enjoy the new concept and services we offer.

860 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Me & my husband along with another couple were to stay here from Nov 22-28. However after 2 days we had to leave.

I was in room 343-it has bed bugs! I have pics to prove!

As for the food me & my husband was able to locate something to eat. But we are more adventurous to eat other things. However the other couple couldn't find anything other than a burger at the snack bar.

For an adults only hotel, the bars & restaurants close at 10 (really).

Also the tub/shower in my room - you have to push a button to switch between the two, however ours didn't work. You couldn't take a bath, because the shower & tub faucets ran @ the same time. We called maintenance but they didn't get it fixed.

Now onto the check out to leave this resort. Do to all of my issues, we still had to pay for the days we did not use. NO REFUND! remember I do have pics!

The only good thing about this place is the waiters, they are very friendly & courteous

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had during your vacations. Please note that all of your comments and opinions are very important to us and will be submitted to the corresponding department to take the necessary actions to correct them and avoid them in the future.

We wanted to take the opportunity to let you know that we have eight different restaurants all throughout the hotel and we offer a unique concept and high quality food in each one. We also renovated all of our restaurants and changed our selection of meals to give our guests more alternatives to enjoy.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Oasis Viva from November 21st through November 26st.
The property is well maintained and lots of attention is being given to improve it's look.

The rooms are comfortable and clean. The room also contained a nice flat screen television with a nice selection of rooms. The bathrooms look modern and they too are very clean. Our room over looked the swimming pool/beach area. It's really hard to complain when you are over looking a beautiful beach with clear blue water. My only complaints I have about our room is that the bath room exhaust was not functional and the room mini fridge do not cool properly. They are stuffed inside a dresser with a minimal hole in the rear. However, in my opinion I feel there is not adequate air flow to cool the fridge. Cleaning of the rooms was fine. Except one day they showed up after 5pm to clean because they were running late.

There are two pools beautiful pools on the resort. There is not much seating. The beach is located right off the pool. There are plenty of day beds, canopies, and loungers right on the beach that most folks spend their time on the beach instead of the pool. The beach is lovely. Light clear blue water. There are some rocky areas entering the water. The water is not that deep. You can go far in the water and still not be fully covered by water. There are plenty of venders that walk through the beach selling items like hats, body wraps, hats, cut up fruit, cigars, wood crafts, etc. There is a sushi stand in the pool area that serves up so good sushi. There is also a stand that provides burgers, hot dogs, and Panini's if that is your thing. The pool was serving Dos X beer which was nice and cold. The mixed drinks were strong and very good. My only complaints about the pool area was there was minimal entertainment. The guest kept to themselves and did not mingle much. The plastic loungers in the beach area are a little uncomfortable. However, the cloth loungers near the pool area are much more comfortable.

The foot print of the hotel is rather small and easy to get around. There are many restaurants and other facilities on the property as well. The gym equipment was outdated and beat up. The coffee shop in the VIP room serves delicious coffee. There is a spa on the property. We didn't try it, but the facilities looked great.

The two major areas that need improvement at the resort is the food and night time activities. I won't go into details, but the service at the restaurants is very slow. Doesn't seem like the meals are cooked to order and still they take a long time. The food at the breakfast buffet did not look appetizing. Overall, very un-inspired cooking. Lucky for us, there are many restaurants in the area that provide great local cooking that is not too expensive. My vision of a buffet is nice salad bar with many greens and fresh veggies. Would be nice to see many cooks preparing dishes that are running it out. Would like to see food sitting in nice hot trays that are visually appealing using great technique. Seems to me that much effort is being made to create fancy meals at the specialty restaurants, but if they take long to prepare I am afraid you will have many unhappy guests. I think a buffet place with more than average food is important. As far as the night life goes, the Coyote Club is beautiful. It has the look and feel of a real night club. They need to hire a resident DJ that will people watch and try to get them on the dance floor. Not play a pre-mixed EDM mix. A great dj will play their heart out regardless if there is 5 people in the room or 500 people. Offer to take requests, etc.

To wrap this up, Grand Oasis Viva has great potential. It simply needs to improve the food and night time entertainment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony,

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed comments with TripAdvisor’s readers.

We greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.

We would like to take the opportunity to let you know that we are working on providing more entertainment options, both activities during the day and shows during at night time. These will be implemented from December 23, 2013 and we will offer a slightly sensuous entertainment.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you once again in the future so you can enjoy the new concept and services we offer.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The White Box restaurant located at the Oasis Viva hotel is a pure delight. Despite having a world class menu the restaurant is casual and relaxed. Chef Ignacio Del Rio Mora and the rest of the team delight with one wonderful dish after another. I was not staying at this hotel,I was at another Oasis property (Sens) down the road, but when I heard about this restaurant I made a B line for the Oasis Viva and am glad I did, It is simply marvelous food in a warm friendly atmosphere.

Dear Guest,

We are glad you were able to experience one of our most outstanding restaurants. We will congratulate our entire team for their exceptional creations; every dish that leaves the kitchen is a true delight and an authentic culinary experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed at this place in the first week of October 2013. There were some renovations going on. The hotel does not give free wi-fi and they charge it very heavily.
the good thing about this hotel is their staff especially the restaurant staff. They are very friendly, courteous and very accommodating. They make goof cocktails and server good food. I met this person RICARDO ENSALDO in THE WHITE BOX restaurant and he was amazing..very funny ...always smiling and with great local knowledge ;).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments and opinions. We are happy to tell you that we are done with the renovations and we made many changes on our facilities, restaurants and rooms for the benefit of our guests.

We are glad you were able to enjoy your vacations in our hotel. We greatly appreciate the special mention of those members of our team who helped make your stay more pleasant. We will surely congratulate our staff for always being friendly and helpful.

Mississauga, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The resort is clean and very nice. The pools are exceptionally nice. Buffets are well managed (well except for the pesky birds) and the dinners are delish. The room was nicely air conditioned. The drinks were AWFUL as they do not serve top shelf drinks and they do not use Coca Cola or Pepsi products.... so all of our drinks tasted of vanilla. I ended up only being able to drink house wine (poor quality) or gin and tonic as both are NOT poured from the 'gun'. This is an adults only vacation and yet we had kids in the pool. Good Grief. I liked the trip, but I do not think I would go again.

Dear Andrea,

We are glad you had a nice time and that you enjoyed our facilities and restaurants.

We wanted to let you know that we contacted the department in charge and the hotel does not have any reports of children in the pool and we have security staff on a 24 hour watch to detect this immediately and the necessary measures are taken to correct it.

Thank you for your observations and comments, we will definitely consider them as areas of opportunity to continue providing the best service possible to all our distinguished guests.
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My friend and I just got back from Mexico a couple days ago and we had an awesome vacation. I was a little nervous about the whole trip since we booked the hotel using Groupon but everything went very smoothly.
The hotel overall is pretty nice, the only problem we had was that our A/C wasn't working but we called front desk and they sent someone up within minutes and had it up and working in no time. Our room was very nice and always very clean. We had an awesome view of both pools and the ocean. All the restaurants that we went to were great but I definitely recommend the White Box, it is amazing!!!
All the staff in every department were very friendly but our trip was definitely made by the entertainment staff Abraham, Benny and Adrian. ESPECIALLY Benny and Adrian, those two were always around the pool, getting us involved with all the activities and making sure we were having a good time. You guys definitely have some awesome employees working for you!!!

I would definitely recommend this hotel and we both plan on returning.

Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Alyshia,

We feel completely honored that your stay was amazing and that you enjoyed our facilities.

Thank you for the special mention of those members of our team who helped make your stay more pleasant. We will surely congratulate them for their amazing job.

We appreciate you recommending us and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.
Best regards.

Been to Grand Oasis Viva? Share your experiences!