“Great Place, Great People” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Viva

Save Saved
You added Grand Oasis Viva to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Viva
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Viva Beach)   |
Ranked #77 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Place, Great People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just returned from our first trip to Cancun. Stayed four nights here. Enjoyed the staff, food and accommodations very much. The Grand package includes all of the amenities (I recommend this) and we also upgraded to a balcony room, which was great (the air conditioning was colder, too). I met a few of the other guests who did not have the grand package and they seemed a bit disappointed with what was included, so be sure to book the Grand Oasis Viva, rather than just Oasis Viva (I think it's a bit cheaper to do this right up front, but I think you can upgrade at the hotel - might cost a bit more though). The organized daily activities by the pool (games and DJ) are a lot of fun (swim up bar is awesome, too). And there is a nightly show, either on the main outdoor stage or in the main lobby - we enjoyed the shows each night - top-notch talent! The only critisms I have: (1) watch out for the guys in the white collars at the VIP (always seem like they're trying to sell you something); (2) we didn't like that the pool bar closed at 5:30 p.m., and the pool closed at 8 p.m.; (3) most of the restaurants were not open between 4-6 (ciesta, I guess), so if you like to eat an early dinner, you really need to plan accordingly. But once we figured out the schedules, everything went just fine. The quality and service at this hotel is exceptional - staff is absolutely terrific!

Room Tip: I recommend spending a few more dollars and ensure that you have the Grand package, and for an extra...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Paula,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed our daily shows and activities since we work really hard to keep our guests entertained and make sure they have an amazing time with us.

It is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their terrific job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Cancun.

910 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for 8 nights after purchasing a Groupon. I don't see how anyone could have had a bad experience here! Ours was PERFECT! The hotel is gorgeous and the room was not only clean but very modern and had a view the was breathtaking of the blue Caribbean waters.

These service we got at the restaurants was amazing (they would even mark our tables and replace silverware between courses). Juan, a server at the seafood restaurant 'Cocoa' always greeted us by name to join him for lunch, bringing us a new beer or extra salsa before we could ask. Loved him. Basically, just give a few dollars for the staff's service and you will be treated like kings.

The waters in front of the hotel are very calm and crystal clear, making for a cool and romantic place to relax. At night time, the hotel provided us with a Michael Jackson impersonator with dancers and they seriously belonged in Hollywood.

I would give 6 stars if I could. Great experience and one of the best vacations we've ever had. No hidden fees or tricky business tactics. Very happy with how Oasis does business.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor higher up, we were on floor 9 and I'd say our view was probably the best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Heidi Bugala,

We are flattered to know that your stay with us has motivated you to share such a great review about our hotel.

We are very happy to have met your expectations and that you were able to have an excellent trip to Cancun. We work hard to create positive experiences for our guests so they can remember our hotel with a huge smile.

Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable. It makes us happy to know you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer.

We hope you can visit us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I went on this trip with a group of girls after purchasing a groupon and overall it was a fantastic trip. I was somewhat hesitant after seeing some of the reviews, but we did not have any major issues to complain about. I would definitely return to this resort and will recommend it to friends as well.
Here are my pros and cons about this resort:
Pros:
Food: There was an excellent choice of restaurants to choose from. The buffet was also good and we ate there a couple of times for breakfast, but preferred the restaurants instead.
Rooms: We had booked 2 rooms and the one with 2 double beds was larger than the one with a king. We did not have any problems with the air conditioning, as mentioned in some of the other reviews. The room was cleaned daily and there was plenty of space for all of our belongings.
Beach: We spent most of our time here and the water was calm and clean. There were always lounge chairs available, as well umbrellas and beds to lay on if you wanted to get out of the sun for awhile.
Pool: We did not spend any time at the pool on the Grand side. It did seem real nice and there were nice lounge chairs with cushions, and lots of shaded areas. The pools were never too crowded and one of them had a swim up bar, which was nice.
Cons:
Rooms: The rooms were suppose to be ready at 3 pm and only one of the 2 rooms booked was ready for check-in when we arrived. It did not take long before the room was ready though. When we checked into the hotel, I was told that I would be in Room 908. After I requested 2 double beds, they changed my room to # 942. The day before I was scheduled to leave, my room key did not work. I went to the front desk to let them know, and when they pulled the room information for #942, there was someone elses name and signature on the room card. They had me listed for room #908. Total confusion about who was in what room, but I did get a new card. The 2nd room key also stopped working.
The room did not have a balcony and there were only a few rooms at the hotel that did have them. There was still a gorgeous view from the room though.
Food: No complaints about the food in general, only about the reservation that we had at one of the restaurants. We arrived at our scheduled time and it took 30 minutes just to get a menu. After another 15 minutes, no one had returned to our table to take our order. We finally just got up and left, thinking that 45 minutes was enough time to give them.
Bar Service: During the 5 days that we were there, I only had a server bring me drinks 1 time. It wasn't really a big deal, since we were very close the the bar, but it would have been nice to get service, instead of getting up each time to get my own drinks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we are glad to know that your stay was pleasant. Each and every one of your comments are very valuable to us.

We are delighted you enjoyed our various restaurant options and hotel facilities.

It would be an honor for us to welcome you back in the future and we deeply value the fact that you would recommend us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 1 week, it was awesome! All the staff was super friendly and attentive! The food was tastey and we found there to be a good selection. The rooms were clean and spacious, air conditioning wasn't working at first but was fixed. We booked our all inclusive with the Grand and I recommend it. It gives you privileges to go to any other Oasis resorts which we did so you get more selection of restaurants and a nice change of scenery. You just have to cover own transportation... Loved it and will be going back!

• Stayed June 2013
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Cancun. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.

We are glad you received excellent treatment from our staff and enjoy our wide variety of restaurants and facilities.

We are delighted to have met your expectations and that your stay was enjoyable.

It has been a pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Nothing extraordinary about Oasis Viva when compared to other options in Cancun, but nothing terrible either. The rooms were clean (a little damp), the pools were nice, and the beach had some rocky sections and some some non-rocky sandy sections.

The dancers were suprisingly spectacular, the swim-up bar couldn't have been more convenient and the sushi bar handed out bottomless sushi from 11am to 4pm daily!

After reading other reviews, I was a little concerned about staying here, but I have found that the majority of the complatins were concering the lack of access to the VIP parts of the hotel. This turned out to be no issue at all; we still had plenty of access to drinks, pools and restaurants.

The popular bars like Señor Frogs and Coco Bongo's are about a 10 - 15 minute walk away. Don't get tricked into taking a van-taxi with other guests for $50 a head. Walk or take an air conditioned, safe, new public bus for a dollar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We are delighted that you have enjoyed the variety of restaurants, entertainment and facilities of our hotel and that you had a pleasant stay.

We wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that we always have upgrades available to different categories at reception so you can have all access.

Thank you again for your preference and we will be waiting for you on your next vacation.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Viva Beach hotel which I can't fault too much as we actually enjoyed our stay over there. Looking at other reviews and what other guests complained about at the time, we were actually fortunate enough to have two rooms with WORKING air conditioning (638 and 642). Most other guests there had complained that their AC was pants so I guess we were fortunate.

The food - It was better than I thought it would be. Quite a wide selection of food for both vegetarians and carnivores!

Cleanliness - There appeared to be cleaners all around the hotel, working all around the clock, making sure that the hotel stayed at a decent enough level.

Staff - Other than the reception staff, who are the most miserable and unhelpful tw@s in the hotel, the staff are generally quite good. Abraham, the poolside host, is awesome and would def get the American 'high five' from us!

Security - OK, this bit let the hotel down very, VERY badly...!! We were there for 7 days and sadly, we were robbed on our last day!! It wasn't an isolated event either as it turned out that 4 other people has personal belongings taken from their hotel room. It's worth noting that 3 of the 4 victims had their rooms broken into the night before they were leaving - almost as though they know that there's only so much fuss that can be kicked off! One of our friends that we made at the hotel, had somebody 'walk into their room' (i.e. UNLOCK their room) whilst her boyfriend was downstairs and she was in the shower with her bathroom door open.. Fortunately, the staff member ran off but the poor girl was absolutely terrified as a result. As for our own theft, it happened between 5:00am and 10:30am. My friend and I both woke up to the door closing and realised that we had both heard the door being opened (the clicking sound of the keycard being accepted). Sadly, we had $300 stolen in cash. There are no cameras on any of the floors (that I know of) and the only way you can get into a room, is with a keycard. We are convinced that there is an inside job going on. Other thefts from other guests during our 7 days stay, have included cash, iphones and a camera. We were blamed by the reception for not taking the expensive 'safe option' although we were warned against this by other guests as being 'unsafe'.... go figure!

Room Tip: 6th floor upwards. Just be careful of your personal belongings! If you need cigarettes, go to the s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We feel extremely happy that you received a good service and that you enjoyed our vast variety of food options.

Regarding the inconvenience you encountered, we will definitely submit this with the department in charge to avoid it in the future and we will enhance the Hotel's security to ensure your safety.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to receive you once again on your next vacations to improve your perception of the hotel and make it a great experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'll start by saying- I'm on vacation at the resort- its 6AM and I'm awake! The air does not work in our room and its a hot box and miserable. I've been to Cancun many times and this is one of the worst resorts we've ever stayed at. We upgraded to the "grand" oasis viva, because the website showed all these "grand" extra amenities. The first room they provided us, was down right gross. The furniture was old and disorganized. We were doomed we feared. The second room they gave us was clearly deemed a smoking section by the previous guests. They kept wanting to come spray air freshner and we had to keep explaining the room needed to be aired out, because the smoke was in the walls and linens. Then we were told we could uprade to a room with a balcony, so we opted for that, then they said they didn't have a room with a balcony, so we ended up on the 6th floor in this miserably hot room I'm in now. Its clean and looks more like the pictures online,but its very hot. Also this room ordeal involved multiple long trips up and down the world's smallest slowest elevator (its max wait is 630kg)! and be careful, the walls of the elevator are as hot as stove top- scalded my elbow many times as we were all squeezed into a very tight space.
The all inclusive concept here is a joke... I don't see why anyone would even entertain purchasing a time share from this company. There is FINE print everywhere. All the restaurants have the same food with a different name and order (some places the dish is an appetizer and at some its a entree) and the menu is very limited! Then they continously present you with menus that you can purchase from for a fee of anywhere from $13-$40 and they STRESS the tip is not included in these menu items. Same for drinks- they have a purchase for good liquor- sad thing is the drinks are still terrible, because the mixers are just nasty. And room service is a joke as well- "room service is free" BUT there's a $14 service charge plus 10% tip that are extra cost. I'm not sure what the non-grand guests are experiencing but I feel like we upgraded to have the ability to pay for additional upgrades--- I'm not at all pleased with this stay. We're going to visit the other Oasis resorts today which by the way, they do not run shuttles, so we have to pay for a taxi or the bus!
We will not be staying here again and I strongly urge others to discuss other options with your travel agent prior to travel.
Now if I were a broke college student on spring break, this might be okay, but I'm not- I'm a 32 year old adult and I paid for an "Adult Only" resort thinking I was going to be getting a luxe "Adult Only" resort experience.
Words of advice: You will need a vacation to recover from vacationing at the Grand Oasis Viva!

Room Tip: Request room with white bedding and not the red bedding. The red bedding rooms are the older and no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Viva, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Tara,

We are very sorry that we did not met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologise and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.

We are glad we had the opportunity to solved all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this way we were able to enhance your experience and change your perception of our service.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.
Best regards.

Been to Grand Oasis Viva? Share your experiences!