“Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Viva

Save Saved
You added Grand Oasis Viva to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Viva
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 8,5. Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Viva Beach)   |
Ranked #81 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Youngsville, Louisiana
“Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Me and my husband have been to Mexico three times and have absolutely loved it every year!! We have also stayed at other all inclusive resorts. This was our first time here as well. I loved the beach here.. it was so beautiful and well kept!! The pools were also very nice and well kept as well!! The rooms were ho hum.. the bed was nice and big (but had stains on the sheets) and they had a big LCD TV.. the bathroom had a smell like urine.. like it wasn't cleaned thoroughly.. and I'm a freak when it comes to germs and cleanliness. The food was absolutely horrible!! We ended up ordering pizza from another place because we didn't want to eat the food they served. The staff was all friendly and I'm sure they try their hardest.. but like I said before, we have been to other all inclusive resorts that were cheaper but with way nicer quality of food!!! If you are looking to just get wasted.. this is the place to go. But if your looking for excellent food as well as getting wasted, I wouldn't go here. We will not be returning, needless to say.

861 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
Youngsville, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My intent is not to blast, but really to share honest feedback from our recent visit. This was our 3rd year traveling in Mexico and we have stayed in many resorts. I will start with the positive. The complex is nice and well maintained, and the beach area is beautiful. There is ample of chairs and lounge beds and many offering good shade cover. Now our disappointments. We had paid up for the "Grand" all inclusive and got far from grand. First we learned that there was only one "bar" in the entire complex that you could get beer ... and it was one kind. This was not what was described on any of the websites at all.

The food ... well I had read comments prior to booking and should have listened ... the food was almost uneatable. Really! One of the "afternoon" places to eat was a chicken bar. We wanted something quick so we got the chicken nuggets and fries ... my wife and I both couldn't finish it ... we were amazed that something so basic was so blah! We then had dinner at one of the 4 dinner places and got spaghetti ... again neither finished our meal.

Day 2 we attempted breakfast and both felt funny to our stomachs. I spent most of my time day 2 running to the restroom. We ordered pizza for lunch to settle our stomachs, it worked. We tried room service for dinner which was included (except for the $15 delivery fee) and both got club sandwiches ........ shame on us, same thing .... disgusting!

To top things off rooms do not include ironing board and iron as stated on line, and our fridge in room was warm. Got with management in person and nothing resolved. With all the places you can stay in this beautiful part of the world ... look else where.

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here from April 5th through the 12th and we had a amazing time. We arrived around 2 p.m. and we were unable to check in as our room would not be ready until 3. I have traveled dozens of times and sometimes they let you check in early but this was not the case on this trip. They still gave us our bracelets so we could go eat and drink while waiting for our room. We ate real quick had a margarita then went back to the front desk at 3 and everything was ready to go.

Initially we booked on the regular Oasis side of the hotel but changed our reservation to the Grand side which I highly recommend. With the Grand side of the hotel you get access to the infinity pool, an extra restaurant and a section of the beach dedicated to the grand customers.

The room was very spacious and had a great view of the ocean. We did not have a balcony, but we did not book a room with a balcony. One good thing was the windows open all the way up so you can get a balcony feel without actually having the balcony. The fridge was stalked with a four 20oz pops a couple waters and a couple of beers (SOL). They did charge us $50 for to use the safe in our room while we were there but that is well worth is for me, I didn't want to end up like some of the people in previous reviews. We also purchased two small locks to lock up our suitcases during the day but I only locked my suitcase up for the first two days. Our maid was extremely nice and helpful, we didn't have any issues when it came to the house keeping staff.

The hotel itself was very clean and nicely put together. The beach was amazing and the water was crystal clear, the water isn't too deep but we could get shoulder deep if we walked to the deepest part. We only had problems getting a spot on the beach one day out of the seven that we were there, the other days there were plenty of chairs available to lay on. They only serve Dos Equis at the restaurants and bars but we like that kind of beer so it was just fine for us. They do not serve beer at the pool bars but the bar in the hotel is literally 20-30 feet from the main pool so it is easy to grab a beer and come back to the pool.

They had shows every night at the hotel and they were a lot of fun. We made it a point to watch the show every night. The performers were really in to it which made it fun for everyone watching.

The location is perfect! It is a 5-10 minute walk to all of the clubs, restaurants and shopping areas. If you have not been to Mexico be prepared to ignore a lot of people or just say no as they constantly ask you to buy whatever they are selling. It is like the strip in Vegas but on steroids, the good thing is that you can bargain with them and usually get things cheaper if you stick to the price you want to pay.

The food at the resort was really good in my opinion, all of the restaurants and buffet had a good selection and it was always warm or hot. I paid twice as much to go to a Sandals resort and thought the food at the Oasis Viva was better than what Sandals had to offer. Another thing I liked about the restaurants was you did not have to make a reservation like other resorts. You just walk up and they would seat you right away. The only bad thing is they cups they give you to get your drinks in were too small, but other than that we had no complaints.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is thinking about going there. Just make sure to use common sense when it comes to leaving things around or forgetting your camera at a table or the beach. Also use common sense outside of the hotel, if it seems shady or not right then you should not do it or go down the dark alley at night. If you stick to the main roads then you will have no problems at all. All of the staff were pretty helpful and they even have a guy who will take you to the clubs for a fee. We did this and had a great time at Palazzo, one of the funnest times I have had at a club.

A couple of tips I would recommend are to bring plenty of one dollar bills as even though it is all inclusive they like to get tipped now and then. Also I would recommend bringing plenty of small bills (5's and 10's) because if you purchase something they usually give you Mexican money in return and you actually lose a little bit of money that way. Plus if you make a deal for something outside of the hotel like a bracelet or magnet you can pay exact change instead of having them break a 20 or 50 because the change will be in pesos.

I can't wait to go back to Cancun and when I do I will definitely be staying at the Grand Oasis Viva!

Laguna Niguel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was our first all-inclusive vacation, and actually purchased a groupon to stay here. The location is beautiful and it's right on the beach! It is about a 10 minute walk into town to restaurants, clubs, and shops. They kept the room clean and stocked the fridge every day with beer, bottled water, and soda. The room was average, and maybe needs a little updating, but couldn't beat the ocean view. The bathroom was a little dingy and our shower nozzle couldn't be adjusted without moving the entire pipe to the wall. The (2) pool areas are nice as well, but nothing elaborate. Most of the staff are super friendly, though we did have a few that seemed irritated to be at work. My one and only complaint would be the food. I'm from southern California and we eat authentic Mexican food ALL the time, but there was not much to be seen on the menu, at any of the restaurants. I was excited to eat Mexican cuisine, but there were only bland tacos, quesadillas and nachos, hardly saw guacamole and pico de gallo anywhere within the resort. Pasta, potatoes, Mongolian food, but no burritos... Just a little disappointed that the only place we could get authentic Mexican food was in town (worth the walk).

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went to this resort with my boyfriend March 22-29 of this year and we had reservations in the "Grand" category of this hotel. The hotel is in a convenient area in the Cancun hotel zone and is walking distance to many attractions including Coco Bongo (and all other major clubs), Senor Frogs and lots of shopping. I recommend to pay the extra bit of money to upgrade to the "Grand" category as you have more dining options and restaurants to choose from as well as a separated beach for "Grand" category guests and access to an awesome infinity pool. Also, you get a mini bar in your room including two coca colas, two sprites, two beers and two large bottles of water that they replace daily. The staff was always very friendly and went out of their way to greet you. They were always busy doing something, ensuring the hotel was always clean and well maintained. The buffet which everyone has access to "la Fuente" has the same food day in and day out which became very boring and kind of gross to us by the middle of our trip. We dined on the resort at the a la cartes, plus went off the resort to seek other dinner options frequently. Otherwise the resort has a great breakfast buffet, and lunch is decent as well as the Happy Chicken bar or Wimpys bar that serves burgers and nachos. The beach at this hotel is AMAZING..the swimming area is fairly shallow however, the beach front is gorgeous with lots of different areas to lay out (beach chairs, beach beds, areas for shade and lots of beautiful palm trees!) We were in a quiet area of the hotel even though we noticed a lot of Spring Breakers and our room was really big, very clean and modern. We chose to lock up our valuables (iPad, iPhones, wallets and money) if we were leaving our room in a compartment in one of our suitcases because you do have to pay to use the safe in the room. We had no issues with theft like some other people mentioned. The only annoying part of our stay was that our key cards kept getting deactivated. Happened 3 times but they were apologetic and fixed the issue right away (could have just been getting demagnetized due to being close to other cards in a wallet or near a cellphone though). Overall this was a great stay..entertainment every night, friendly staff, organized resort, decent food and in a great location in Cancun. I would go back again!

Room Tip: "Grand" category rooms are in quieter areas of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had booked a king bed online and noticed that on the hotel website, they have a free upgrade for honeymooners. So I included notes in the reservation that we were coming on our honeymoon and would like their free upgrade. We arrived at the hotel and showed them the confirmation paperwork and our marriage license. They said they would take care of us and sent us to the VIP lounge so we could schedule our honeymoon dinner. After doing so we went up to our room. It was a double queen bedroom. Hardly the king bed we booked, or the "honeymoon" upgrade we got.

The dinner they scheduled for us for our honeymoon was nothing special. They just made us a reservation at the in-house restaurant. Service and Menu were the same as the night before, nothing special from the hotel for our dinner they scheduled for us.

Bathroom light was out. Reported it to the front desk, and it wasn't fixed during our stay, very disappointing.

Buffet food was mediocre. They had the same food for every meal. We were expecting the food to change throughout the week, but unfortunately for us it did not.

The beach at the resort was nice but there were no waves. It also was not deep enough in the area to actually swim, just deep enough to walk around.

For the money, this all-inclusive hotel was a bust. I do not recommend it to anyone. Spend a couple hundred dollars extra at another NON-OASIS hotel. We spent a lot of time finding other restaurants just to get away from the food at this hotel.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

** this is going to be a long review, but believe me, take the time to read this before staying at this hotel**

Stayed at the the grand oasis viva April 3rd-8th

Before traveling to cancun I was very prepared by printing out all the confirmations and such, I had purchased a groupon for 4 days and then one additional day through the grand oasis vivas website. Upon arrival I told the gentlemen checking me in the situation. He seemed to understand and took copies of the confirmations. I told him I didn't want to get locked out of my room the 4th day or being told I need to get out at checkout. So he seemed to understand

Then my boyfriend and I went up to put our bags in our room before getting dinner. When we walked into the room something seemed not right. Upon looking a little more we noticed luggage on the floor,sandals and just different items around the room. So long story short they gave us access to another persons' room. Once we noticed we left immediately and went back down stairs. They didn't seem to alarmed by it (almost like it happens often) then have us a different room. Once we went to our new room we noticed it wasn't as nice as the initial room. At this point we didn't want to go back down stairs.

The buffet is terrible, if you don't tip from the beginning you'll get terrible terrible service, my bf got food positioning from the Mexican food. We both personally saw them re-using the salsa and taking it to another table

Only one type of beer served and you can't even get it at the swim up bar. The alcohol is cheap

Be careful when your entering or exiting your room, it's not like your typical hotel room that when you let the door go it will automatically close. You have to physically close the door or it'll stay open

On the 3rd day the air started to make a really loud noise, so we called to get someone to look at is. A very nice gentlemen came up promptly to look at it, said he couldn't fix that night because it was a big long job but could try to rig it to not be so loud and someone would come the next day to fix it (since we would be out of the hotel all day on excursions) we got back to the hotel late. Got to our room and in the middle of the night it started to act up. Around 3am we couldn't sleep. The next day we called to ask if they fixed it. The same guy came up and he looked and said no one came to fix it and said they would could switch our room, but it was our last night there and we didn't want to pack to move then pack the next day. I was literally in the shower when the maintenance guy was in our room talking to my bf about the air when the shower stopped working (also the hot water went out the night before, but we were tired of complaining so we let it go) but the next day it still wasn't working

On that same 4th night we got back to our room at 8pm and we couldn't get into our room. Our keys didn't work. So we went downstairs and they said it was because we only had one reservation and they needed us to pay for the additional night, when I had already put my credit card info in when I reserved it. So we paid got access to our room again. They asked me to bring another copy of th reservation. So I did.

The last day checkout was at noon. And our ride to the airport was coming at 1240. So we packed up went downstairs stood inline, for what fell for like forever, and then they told me that I still needed to pay (which now would be the the 3rd time giving them the info for this last day) so we did and I kept all the copies in case I got charged all separate times. They cut your wristbands off then give you this small square piece of paper and don't tell u anything about needing to keep it. But I put it in a folder of everything for that trip. So we were so sick of this hotel we decided to wait outside in the front because we couldn't stand them. They were shooting some kind of tv show so there was chaos everywhere. We step outside and some guy stops me and starts asking for checkout form. And I keep asking him why, what for? And he says because! I need it! So I give it to him. Then 10 mins later we see our car service show up and start heading to the car and a different guy stops us and is being aggressive about the checkout form and we keep trying to tell him we already have it to another guy and he wasn't wanting to let us go. Finally we just got in the car and left

This hotel is Terri le do not waste your money

The beach is nice and its a nice view but the service and everything else doesn't make up for it

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Oasis Viva? Share your experiences!