“Our Wedding in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Zilara Cancun

You added Hyatt Zilara Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kukulkan Km 11.5 Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly The Royal)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“Our Wedding in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have written quite a few TA reviews now, but this one has got to be the hardest. It has taken me over a week to write this so I hope the content will be appreciated but mostly helpful to at least a few people.

As a couple we have previously stayed at the royal in 2009, we loved it so much we decided to get married there.
So we returned in 2013 for our wedding site inspection.

During the 2nd visit we met up with the wedding co-ordinator, Patty Ulloa. After 3 long years of email communication we came to know her a little & what a lovely, kind, honest person she is.
Whenever we had any concerns she would put them at ease right away with her professional and calm approach to the situation, especially when discussing the rebranding.

This visit to the Hyatt Zilara was for our destination wedding. We checked-in on 17th November and checked-out 1st December , we had a total of 15 guests staying at the Hyatt, 7 staying at the Gran Caribe & 6 staying in another hotel at the other end of the strip.

The reception
Everyone had such a great time and I'm sure would have drunk the bar dry if we were allowed to party on past 10pm. There are however a few points I want to cover on the DJ.

The DJ, which the hotel provided, made no efforts to congratulate us or even attempt to get involved with any of his audience. We were contacted months before the wedding to discuss playlists etc. We provided a 3 hour long playlist therefore all he had to do was play the songs we had chosen in the best order and mix them. We also provided a do not play list which included all the normal party cheese such as Abba and the Grease medley.
For whatever reason he decided not only to play about 3 or 4 songs that were on the do not play list but also replayed about 3 different songs. I'm also sure I heard one particular song played 3 times. This meant that one of my favourite songs that I had chosen was not played, I was very annoyed!
The DJ was very good, in fact I would say excellent, when it come to lighting and mixing and everyone including ourselves had a fantastic time. However this does not excuse the issues mentioned above. Everyone of the staff received a tip that evening with exception to the DJ.

The wait staff at the reception were fantastic as they always are.

Now my review on the Hyatt Zilara

Appearance upon approach:
Viewing from the road the hotel remains exactly the same in my opinion, excellent.

Check-in:
The stunning views and sheer grandness of the lobby never ceases to wow me, I think all our guests were impressed right away.
Since there were 12 of us checking into 6 rooms I thought there would have been some preparations made prior to our arrival to make our checking in process run smooth. Instead it was a little chaotic. I could see a table full with glasses and bottles of room temp water, we wasn't offered anything to drink for at least 10 mins so I finally served myself. No sign of any champagne/ cocktails or cold towels.
Having said that I did find the staff to conduct themselves much more professionally than in the past. There were no tactics used for up selling on anyone in our party, they were politely asked if they wanted to upgrade but that's all. There was also no one being led over to the guest services desk for time share tactics (we have had this in the past) so a thumbs up there.

Room:
As we had booked a wedding package before the hotel was rebranded we were entitled to a room upgrade. We had previously requested we be placed in the newly converted annex as this was close to the wedding gazebo & Gran Caribe. The hotel listened and granted our request.
Our room was 118. In my opinion it is better in some ways than the junior suites located in the main hotel but then lacking in other areas.
Pros
I much prefer the location being so close to the beach and not having to take a lift back to the room.
Cons
No body jets in the shower as you would usually get in a standard room
Standard room layout is more convenient

We also noticed a few maintenance issues during our stay, such as;

•Leaking shower
•1 of 2 air con units noisy
•The same air con unit smelt really bad when in use
•close to wedding events on the beach and gran caribe patio (it can be noisy if you are looking for an early night)
•Bad drainage in one of the sinks
If it rained in the night water would gush out of the outlet above the patio doors right onto the window seal. This noise was so loud it kept waking us up. I ended up placing a towel over the window seal to stop the tapping noise.

We were on holiday and could just about be bothered to apply sun cream each day let alone dealing with maintenance, so we just put up with it all.

I am sure if we had raised these issues they would have been resolved promptly, as we did call maintenance on one other issue and they were there in 5 minutes.

Having said all of this, the room was still as amazing and luxurious as we remembered and there's something about hearing the roar of the ocean from your room that I find magical each time I hear it.

Restaurants

The changes that have been made can be seen immediately! In my opinion I think the food has dramatically improved.

Spice

For breakfast there are a lot more healthier choices some specially catering to the Asian guests.
The waffles etc are no longer made to order but still very nice.

Lunch time offerings are much improved with a varied choice daily.
I love the Mexican sauces and salsas always on offer....next to them are recipe cards, a nice touch.

Asiana

I believe the sushi is a new addition, I thought it was very nice whereas others in my party disagreed and went as far to say it wasn't sushi at all (bit extreme).
The menu has been completely changed with a lot more thai influence.
We personally loved the ribs and salmon teriyaki, however the curry's and prawn tempura need some modifications.

I found the food offerings on the tepenyaki table was greatly improved but the show itself was less impressive.

I also noticed a few cocktails only listed on the Asiana menu, I like this as it makes the visit a bit more unique when you are able to try things you can't get any where else in the resort.

Maria Marie

This restaurant is now serving Mexican food instead of French fusion as we had on our last visit.
I had enjoyed the majority of dishes this time around but nothing particularly sticks in my mind as being outstanding. I have to admit I do prefer the previous menu before the changes were made. The pre dinner bread, palate cleansers, olives and tables cloths were all sorely missed.
I also found the dessert selection lacking, so much so I didn't choose anything....that's a rare occurrence.
My partner disagrees with me entirely here and quite prefers all the changes and said some of her meals were outstanding. So there you go, I guess it's a matter of opinion and taste.

On the up side there is a Mexican band which now perform each night, they were very good. Playing some classical folk songs as well as songs we would all know.

Tapas

We tried this once on our first visit in 09 and hated it. It was truly an evening wasted, we vowed never to return and we haven't.
Our family however went against our advice and had a meal there, they said it was awful - Can't say I didn't warn them.
Perhaps it's worth changing the tapas to an Italian restaurant? Tapas is so hard to get right....Italian is so easy.

From all the reviews on this place I have read (that's a lot) I haven't come across a single one where someone has raved about this place. Maybe one or two people have said 'meh it's ok' but that's it.

Chefs plate

We never have tried this so cannot comment.

Coffee shop

I cannot explain how much better the food offerings are.
All the cakes, sweet breads and wraps are so nice and can be boxed to take away. The food changes depending on the time of day.
I am really into my tea/coffee and only use the best leaves/ beans available to me.....Please don't brand me as a snob it's just my thing
So i will try not to go on a rant here....but the tea and coffee selection in this coffee shop is appalling.

•Tea should be leaf tea not dust in a bag
•Coffee beans should be freshly roasted, within a month before use, and ground to order. The coffee machine which produces a mud like substance should be thrown in the bin.

Nespresso is on offer but you have to specifically ask for this each time.

This is Mexico after all and they produce some of the best coffee in the world. Showcase what your country has to offer!!!

Rant over!

Entertainment
We have never been interested in hotel entertainment as we always found it so boring. Even on past visits to the royal the entertainment was carried out by the same people almost every night and the performance wasn't varied.
What a difference this time around!
The shows put on were something I could actually watch and get into, they were more like acrobatics and dancing combined.
Our grandad was with us on the trip (he's 81) he has seen a great deal of shows in London's west end, including Cats with Elaine Page (many moons ago mind), he described these shows as magnificent. That word isn't used lightly trust me.

On the subject of grandad, he and nan (Tony and Kay) also loved the singers which come on after the shows each evening. It would appear they become something of celebrities amongst many other guests from around the world who admired their passion for dancing. They put on a show each evening and the people loved them.
Shame it was over so early at 10pm

Staff

The staff here are what make the resort so special to me, without them this place would not be where it is today.
For comparison purposes;
The day after we arrived home from the Hyatt we had afternoon tea at The Ritz in London. We received fantastic service at the ritz but I felt the Hyatt provided the same level of service however it was much more personable.

There are so many good employees but here are our favourites

Jared - spice
Patricia - hostess
Patty Ulloa - wedding coordinator
Joshua - Entertainment

Spa

The facilities are free to use and consist of the below

Outdoors
Shared male/female steam room and whirlpool.

Indoors
Separate indoor steam room, sauna, 2 jacuzzi's at different temps, plunge pool, powerful shower.
The changing room is nice and luxurious and as expected always spotless.
Apples and a selection of drinks are also available along with cold towels for your face.
Between our whole wedding party we had around 15+ treatments, all of them carried out with the utmost professionalism.

Beach party

Unfortunately the 2 weeks we were there the weather was a little spotty. The first beach party was entirely cancelled.
A week later they worked hard all day setting it up, it started at 7 and by 8:30 the rain was pouring. Our group remained persistent by staying under the shelter at the bar whilst most others had retreated inside to the lobby. The rain was coming down so much in the end it started to pour through the decking above.
By this time we were donning rain macks and umbrellas we knew it was probably time to go in.
Once we made it to the lobby they had already provided alternative entertainment, a singer.
That night ended up being one of the best.

Well that's my take on the Zilara
We hope to be back in a few years time but for now

Adios from The Roberts Family

P.S. Trip Advisor doesn't allow posts which aren't strictly relevant to trip planning, hence I have had to amend my review. However, for anyone interested, I will be posting details of the actual wedding day on the Facebook page 'Hyatt Zilara Cancun fans' and as always welcome any questions

Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our 2nd trip to this particular resort and once again, it was fabulous. The service is completely out of this world amazing.

However, this trip wasn't nearly the same experience as our last because of our room. We were in the "new" add-on area. The view was outstanding but the room itself was smaller than a Motel 6 room. My husband and I are super tall so trying to get ready everyday was a task. If I was putting on makeup, he literally couldn't do anything aside from shower (couldn't get clothes because the super small closet was right behind me, couldn't brush teeth b/c the vanity {only one} was too small to share). The space to get through to the bathroom area was maybe 2.5 feet wide. We were there for a wedding and some of the people than were staying alone were placed in rooms with a downstairs sitting area (they didn't upgrade)! Man, would life have been easier. When we go on vacation, the room is typically neat while we're there but there was literally NO ROOM for anything.

Also, back to the view, it was amazing but it wasn't covered so there was only a small window of time to enjoy it.

Room Tip: Room 136 - never again! I'd stay out of the new additional entirely.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Jduballday,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Hyatt Zilara Cancun for the 2nd time and we very much appreciate you sharing your review with us.

While we are very happy to know that you had another fabulous vacation and truly enjoyed the amazing service and beautiful view, we are truly sorry to read that you did not like your room very much due to the size.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience and be assured that your comments will be taken into consideration.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back during your next vacation in Cancun.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We were celebrating my wife's 50th birthday and chose the hotel based on a lot of reviews. Arriving there, we were not disappointed. The hotel has great architecture and is very open. It's a great location right on the ocean and every room has an ocean view.

The staff is credible, all very accommodating and always smiling and asking if they can help in anyway. Was very nice equipped with a big Jacuzzi tub for two. We had a massage in the spa and it was incredible Carmen and Mariel treated myself and my wife and I only regret not doing the longer massage.

What was not so great was the entertainment. Space-based they have nightly show that were, was just say not very good at all. We were also surprised to find out there was no nightclub or anywhere you could go to listen to some music and dance if you wanted to. For that matter, there was no where in walking distance at any of the other hotels that you can go and dance if you want to do. Also by the pool it was music but only in one small section of the pool at the far end so most people had no music. This may have been by design to keep things more quiet I would've liked a little background music throughout the day.

The hotel is 20 minutes from the airport and also only a few minutes from the downtown area if you want to do shopping or the harbor if you wanted to take the boat over to Islas de Mujeres.

I would definitely recommend this hotel but when we return to convene next time I'll be looking for a hotel with a little better entertainment options.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear TCanger,

Thank you very much for allowing us the privilege of hosting you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your wife’s 50th birthday celebration and for sharing your honest feedback with us.

We are truly sorry to read that you felt disappointed with the evening entertainment, as well as the lack of a night club on property. Please know we have communicated your comments and suggestions to our Director of Entertainment for the appropriate follow up.

We are however very happy to know that you still had a great stay, while enjoying the beautiful architecture, excellent location, comfortable accommodations, relaxing spa services and great service.

Thank you for recognizing Carmen and Mariel for their professional service and be assured we will share your kind words with them.

We very much appreciate you recommending us and hope you will allow us another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is our 5th year back. We have been here prior to Hyatt taking over. All inclusive is excellent! A few changes over time has occurred. The restaurants are great. I noticed the shrimp are smaller this year at Pelicanos Restaurant but you can order more. The service at the SPA is excellent. Isac Castellanos goes out of his way to help and see that your visit is the best it can be. He has been here a while and I see why! Two weeks before I came down I broke my ankle and was worried I would be a burden on my wife. No worries. They made sure I got an electric wheel chair and that is all I needed. I could go from 6th floor right up to the sand on the beach. From there I was able to use my crutches. My vacation and recovery was fabulous thanks to staff at Hyatt Zilara. See you all next year. Keep up the five star treatment!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear GaryMissouri,

Thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your vacation for the 5th year in a row and for taking the time to share your wonderful experience.

We are truly sorry to read you broke your ankle, but very happy to know you were still able to enjoy your stay and especially the plentiful all-inclusive offering, excellent spa and great service provided by dedicated associates, such as Isaac, with whom we will most certainly share your kind words.

We very much appreciate your loyalty and cannot wait to welcome you back next year.

Hamburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We're in the middle of our stay here and not a single complaint yet.
Great dining options and all the food has been great (as good as hotel food can be). Great choices at the buffet restaurant, Spice, that changes the spread daily.
Room and hotel are clean as can be. They even do the "different towel animal everyday" thing after they clean your room. We booked a suite with a 2 seat jaccuzi in the room and a great streamer built into the shower room with high end hardware.
Service is excellent. Before our trip, a few reviews complained a lil about treatment they received for not tipping. I always tip and the staff has gone above and beyond even before they know if they will be getting tipped or not. But in my opinion, tips make the service world go round.
Also there are a lot of included activities each day, all day long and different entertainment each night. And if you're looking to do excursions, there is an agency on site in the lobby. Very convenient, and a quality company BD Best Day.

Overall great all inclusive hotel. There's even a 24 hour game room with food and drinks all night.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Bobby B,

It is a great pleasure to have you as our guests at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and we very much appreciate you taking valuable time out of your vacation to share this wonderful review.

We are very happy to read that you are truly enjoying your stay with us and that you are especially fond of the delicious food, comfortable accommodations, entertaining day and night time activities and great service.

Please know our entire staff will continue with great effort to assure the remainder of your stay to be perfect. Should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hudsonville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just returned yesterday from a fabulous week at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun. This is our fourth stay there...the second since it became the Hyatt. It was heavenly. The weather was beautiful and the service at the resort was exceptional....even better than last time. We found that the two suggestions we made after our last trip had been implemented now. They take suggestions very seriously.

We relaxed at the resort for the whole week. Raphael and Ivan came around the pool and cleaned our sunglasses every day. Drinks were never lacking...not watered down. Marco and Julio on the activities staff were great....I painted two fish and a snowman! Luis was our waiter for dinner in Pelicanos....he was fabulous even though "it was his first day". (Every day was his first day )
We must give a shout out to Laura and Patricia the smiling hostesses who would greet us each day and remember that we like to sit by the window. Our waiters in Spice who deserve special mention were Hector, Arturo (Chuey), and Jesus who literally ran one day to get chips for my guacamole from another location. He came back out of breath! Everyone goes overboard to give extra attention!

I must also mention Ileana in the jewelry store. Had to give her a hug before we left!

We highly recommend this resort. We have been to Cancun many times...but this place is the best. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front. Now have smart TV...could get Netflix right in our room. We prefer floo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Laurie V,

We truly appreciate you choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun once again for your well-deserved vacation and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are very pleased to read that you had another wonderful vacation and especially enjoyed the beautiful weather, fun activities and great service provided by our dedicated associates.

Thank you for recognizing Raphael, Ivan, Marco, Julio, Luis, Laura, Patricia, Arturo, Jesus and Ileana for their personalized service and be assured we will be sharing your motivating words with every single one of them.

We thank you for recommending us and are very much looking forward to welcoming you back for the 5th time during your next vacation.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I spent almost a week at this idyllic, all-inclusive hotel I have traveled all over the world and this has got to be one of the best experiences that I've had -- first of all, the hotel property is beautiful, It is immaculate, and very well maintained. If you want quiet, they have it - and, if you want more activity, its available as well.

And the staff - they are what customer service is all about . The restaurants were very good, the buffet, under the oversight of Chef Caraveo, were responsive to the guests every need.
They have an excellent spa. Terry, my aesthetician, went that extra step in making certain that I was comfortable and adapted the treatments to my specific needs.

The maids, especially Mrs. Guadalupe Rios, kept my room in a pristine condition. i would give back in a heartbeat - and plan to return in 2015.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Carmen L,

It was an honor to host you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and we very much appreciate you taking the time to share your marvelous experience with us.

We are very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay, while enjoying the beautiful property, well-kept suite, upscale restaurants, excellent spa and attentive associates, such as Chef Caraveo, Terry and Guadalupe; they will certainly be proud to know they assisted in making your stay memorable.

Thank you very much for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back in 2015.

Alfonso Jarquin

Been to Hyatt Zilara Cancun? Share your experiences!