“Best week ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Zilara Cancun

You added Hyatt Zilara Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kukulkan Km 11.5 Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly The Royal)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
New All Inclusive Hotels
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Best week ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

This is our second time here and we love it! The hotel is beautiful, the beach is wonderful! The service is outstanding! Thanks to David for getting the water volleyball going and helping us with anything we may have had questions about! Ivan being the best sunglasses cleaner and greeting us each day with a smile! Evian for taking us out to a night club and making sure we were all taken care of. And getting the best massage from Samuel in the spa! If you want a great place to stay this is definetly the place! Hopefully we will be returning next summer!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear Michelle A,

Thank you very much for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your vacation and for sharing you motivating review with us.

We are truly excited to read that you had a fantastic vacation while enjoying the beautiful facilities, amazing beach, fun activities, relaxing spa treatment and great service.

Thank you very much for taking your time to compliment especially David, Evian, Ivan and Samuel on their excellent and professional service and be assured we will share your kind words with them.

We sincerely appreciate you recommending us and cannot wait to host you again next summer!

Alfonso Jarquin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Unbelievable place. I'm only here 2 more days, and it's going to be rough to leave.
About 20 minutes from the airport. Chilled towel and ice cold cucumber water waiting on your arrival. Check in takes a few minutes depending on your reservation, desired upgrades, etc. Everyone speaks English, and seem genuinely very willing to make sure you are taken care of. Check in concierges will do what they can to get your room available as close to checkin as possible. We had a couple cocktails at Pelicano's while we waited. We told them it was our honeymoon, and we received a free upgrade. Different colors of wristbands for different rooms, vacation clubs, etc.
Suite is very nice, but not huge. I believe all suites have 2 person hot tubs, and ocean views. It seems a few suites views are partially blocked by structural columns, and a few by extended balconies of other rooms. Floors 6 and 8 seem to have bigger balconies, and the best views. Junior suites on 2,3, and 4th floors with middle #'s (12-20) will have some noise from evening shows in the lobby between 8-10pm. Hammocks on every balcony, and depending on the size of your balcony, may be a single, or 2 person hammock. The pictures in traveler photos are dead on about drinks and snacks in the minibar area. Every room has coke, diet, sprite, and orange fanta, bottles of water and beer, and jumex in the mini fridge. All have bottles of rum, tequila, vodka, and scotch. Ours has Bacardi, wyborowa, Cuervo gold, and J&B rare. The bottles are locked in a serving door, and you can use them at will. They told us empties will be replaced. Snacks are restocked daily including M&Ms, Hershey bars, peanuts, potato chips, and fruit breakfast bars.
Restaurants are many. We have mostly eaten at the buffet. We can always find food we like, hot and cold, and Chuy is the best waiter I've ever seen, period. The buffet is in the lobby area(Spice), the restaurant/bar on the beach(Pelicanos) is open air, and all other restaurants are in separate buildings right next to the hotel. Asiana is the hibachi grill and is in its own building. All other premium restaurants are in the same building, and occupy the same space. There are 3 floors, and they theme them differently, and call them different restaurants. We ate once at Maria Marie's, and found the service decent, and the gourmet food good, but not worth the hassle of making reservations, and changing attire. The Manu at Pelicanos seems not to change, and offers something for everyone, and excellent quality food. They also have special events on the beach, and in the ballroom, for example, they have surf and turf with jazz on Saturday nights right on the beach. It looked extremely romantic and well done, but it costs $55USD per person. Last night, they had "Mexican night" in the ballroom, with a tequila tasting, arts and crafts for sale, musical performances, a free mechanical bull to ride, and a delicious buffet dinner, with cotton candy, fresh baked desserts, ice cream, and specialty cocktails including a mango margarita on the rocks with a jalapeño floating in it, delicious. Mexican night is included with no additional charge.
Top shelf alcohol is not included, or at least not for me. I have heard it may be if you book high class rooms. Some examples of included brands are Bacardi, Cuervo gold, but not 1800, absolut, Johnny walker black, soco, Malibu, etc. If you don't specify, they will use wells. Beer options are limited to Superior, XX lager, and Tecate Light. The lounge(pool tables and ping pong) has about 30 bottles to serve yourself, as well as several wine bottles, red and white. Serve yourself 24/7 there. They also have Coke products on fountain, and several fountain juices. They serve fruit/cheeses/snacks there 24/7, and make your own nacho bar in the afternoon/evening. There are 3 60" TVs with sports on usually, but no way to change channels that I've found. This lounge has the best A/C in the building. A great place to cool down, or mix your own drink if you're picky, but other than juice and coke, no other mixers available(sour mix, dairy, etc). There are chilled cans of XX lager, Tecate light, and water bottles here also.
There are about 25 cabanas and 50 layout chairs on the edge of the pool, and you absolutely must throw something on a cabana early in the AM if you want one. Chairs are plentiful. Towels are given out freely at the straw hut where the music is played, and the towel guys also sell excursions. The building that houses Pelicano's, and the swim up bar(Tradewinds), is pretty awesome. From the water you can order cocktails, if you're dry and have a cover up or t shirt, you can step in to the restaurant and order food and drinks, if you go down the stairs on the beach side of the pool, you can grab a shot from the tequila bar, and the restrooms are built in the building downstairs also. Volleyball games get going midday, and are mostly friendly. The water gets warm during afternoon hours, but there is always shade to be had if you move around. The servers around the pool/beach have great memories, and stay busy, but they will give you special attention if you're handy with a few dollars. Do not forget sun block. They will sell you some in the gift shop, but it will cost you about twice what it is in the USA.
If you need to cool down, head south and find the doors to the spa lounge. One each for men and ladies, and include sauna, steam room, shower, 35 degree jacuzzi, 39 degree jacuzzi, 15 degree cold plunge, and sitting area with cold drinks. All of these are in an air conditioned lounge and included with your stay. Very refreshing. If you step out front of the lounges, you will find 4 hydrotherapy pools, 3 warm, and 1 cool. There are instructions for use, but I recommend the cool one in the center, and get ready for massive amounts of water to gush down on you. I laid on my stomach, and it felt amazing like a back massage. Massages, and other spa services are available for a fee. I did notice, that folks will come out to the pool and give you special offers for spa services and other events for discounted rates. Every price I was offered was negotiable.
The lobby of the hotel is open air and can get warm with no breeze. The have nightly activities around 10pm, and a band that plays in the lobby bar, also open air. You may see a large list of bars on property including martini bar, piano bar, etc. Several of these are different names for the same lobby bar. It is 4 sided, and therefore, they call it at least 4 different bars. If the hours of operation show until midnight, then they are talking about the lobby bar. The only bar that is separate, is the tequila bar on the beach beneath Pelicano's.
The grounds are immaculate, and you will see employees cleaning areas that look spotless. These folks work hard, and keep the place looking amazing. I saw guys clipping grass with shears, and carrying the clippings away by hand. I saw a guy with a snorkel cleaning the walls of the pool. I saw guys sweeping up excess seaweed on the beach. I was in the pool, facing the beach, and there is a walkway below where an employee asked me to throw empty cups down to her so she could make sure the area looked clean. These folks want you to enjoy your stay.
The only possibly negative thing I can think of, is about the white shirt concierges. They will greet you at some point and welcome you, give you a card for 10% off at the gift shop and spa, and offer to give you a sales presentation for 90 minutes in exchange for a free 6 night stay at a property in playa del Carmen. I said no about 4 times, and finally walked away. He also called my room asking me again, I hung up. I had asked him about some clothing I had left on a cabana the day before, and he never got back to me about that, but he sure wanted to ask me again about the presentation. My items were found for me by a different concierge. I was also told by a concierge to go to Market 28 for cheaper souvineers, but that was a huge waste of time, because the exact same souvineers are available a block away for the same price.
If you elect to leave this palace, the bus is quick and efficient, and only 9.5 pesos(less than $1USD). Once you get on, hang on, and sit down if available. The drivers are serious. The front desk will change USD to pesos, but not back. Pesos are handy for the bus, and can save you a few USD per day if you eat or drink elsewhere. Everywhere I went outside the hotel, wait staff and cashiers will use a calculator to show you the USD equivalent before taking your money, but usually a dollar or so gets lost in the conversion, and several times, the peso equivalent of my change was very small, and therefore, lost. Some places take credit cards, but even some tourist attractions appear to be cash only. Again, negotiable.
If you're like me, and comparing different destinations, costs, etc, do yourself a favor and book the Hyatt Zilara. I took a chance, and I'm very happy I did. This is my first international trip with my girlfriend, and we will be back.

Room Tip: It doesn't seem to be worth the money to upgrade. Definitely check the view from your room befo...
Dear evad3257,

It was a pleasure to host you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and we very much appreciate you taking your time to write this detailed and truly positive review.

We are happy to know that you were very pleased with comfortable accommodations, plentiful food & beverage offerings, relaxing spa services, well-kept facilities and great service provided by our valued associates such as Chuy.

Please be assured we will share your motivating words with every single one of them.

We are truly sorry to read that you perceived a lack of customer service you perceived by the Realclub guest service associates and be assured we have communicated your concerns for the appropriate corrective measures to be taken.

Once again, thank you thank you for your feedback and we sincerely hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

This vacation was amazing the hotel had everything we wanted. The only complaint we had was the service when we checked in, they were not friendly at all, no smiles at all and they didn't seem to like there job and it showed. The food was good the beach was great. The entertainment was the best we love sports and David from the entertainment staff was GREAThe loved his job and it showed we played volleyball everyday with him and he always had a smile on his face, if you like to keep busy, go to this resort and David will make sure you are not bored!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear maggie p,

It was a great pleasure to have you as our guests at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and we appreciate you taking your time to share this review with us and all other TA reviewers.

We are truly sorry to read that you found the check in staff to not be friendly enough and can assure you we have already addressed your concerns with our Front Desk Manager for the appropriate corrective measures to be taken.

We are however very happy to know you did not allow this first impression to influence your overall experience and that you had a great overall vacation while enjoying the delicious dining, great beach and fun activities offered by the Sports & Entertainment team.

Thank you also for mentioning our dedicated associates such as David who made your stay truly enjoyable and be assured we will share your kind words with them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Gilbert, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our week long stay at the Hyatt Zilara and we can't wait to go back! The resort is beyond gorgeous, the pools are stunning and the beach is incredible.But what really got me was how incredibly kind and helpful everyone was. The waiter and waitresses down at the beach, Luigi, Hector, Daniel,and Diaz at Spices and my favorite person of all Tony at the coffee shop!! Aside from the amazing hotel itself, it truly was the staff that made it unforgettable. Thanks so much for the experience.

Dear gennevieve1234,

Thank you very much for allowing us the privilege of hosting you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are happy to read that you had a great vacation while enjoying the gorgeous pool and beach area, fantastic facilities and especially great service.

We very much appreciate you taking your time to recognize our dedicated associates, such as Luigi, Hector, Daniel, Diaz and Tony for their personalized service and they will surely be excited to know that they made your stay truly memorable.

Thank you once again for your preference and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back during your next vacation.

Bentonville, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We LOVE this place. This is our second stay in a row at this property. We met MANY people, "new friends" that have frequented Cancun 10+ times, and stayed at this resort the last 5-8 times. The beach is gorgeous! The staff is unbelievably accommodating, friendly, welcoming. The poolside service, beachside service, restaurants are all top notch. We were nervous after staying here as the "Royal" that it may have changed when Hyatt bought them. They Hyatt kept everything pretty much just as it was (few minor changes). Great purchase for the Hyatt company! The Activities staff at the pool were awesome. Especially David, Evian and Antonio! Made us feel like part of the family every day. Also, the Beachtler Ivan.......unbelievable! If you are coming to Cancun, take it from this couple from Arkansas.......we won't stay anywhere else when we come here. Close to clubs, shopping.

We also recommend some local restaurants (aside from the ones at the resort).....HARRY'S (probably a top 10 steakhouse that I've ever eaten at) - take a $1 bus ride to this place - pricy as any good steakhouse.......and a great Mexican local restaurant called La Parilla.....(take a cab for $18). It's off the Hotel Zone area, but a cab will take you right there and right back. We actually walked from La Parilla about 8 blocks to check out a Walmart SuperMercado.....at night...and it was a great walk.

For excursions, we have done 2: The Jungle Tour (drive a speedboat open on the ocean then snorkel over an awesome reef for about an hour) - Awesome! This year we went to swim with 40' Whale Sharks - Tremendous experience, but either take Dramamine, or be ok with a Rocky boat - plenty of people were queezy while we were at sea. But the experience was crazy!

Email me if you have questions: tparnone66@yahoo.com

Tony

Room Tip: The view is tremendous, blue water, white beaches, from any room. Go higher if you can, but we are...
Dear Tony,

Thank you very much for allowing us once again the privilege of hosting you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for your sharing your great experience with us.

We are truly excited to know you had another fantastic vacation while enjoying the great location, gorgeous beach and amazing service provided by our dedicated associates, such as David, Evian, Antonio and Ivan.

Be assured we will share your motivating words with them and they will certainly be proud to have influenced your stay so positively.

Once again, thank you for your preference and we cannot wait to pamper you again during your next vacation.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We just got back from an amazing vacation at Hyatt Zilara, the property was amazing and our room was gorgeous. The beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The food at Spice was amazing!!! David who was part of the entertainment staff was one of the reason we will be going back to this resort he kept us entertain all day with volleyball and bike tours, and such a nice guy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have the best views.
Dear ana p,

Thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your well-deserved vacation and for sharing your short, but positive review with us.

We are excited to know that you had a fantastic stay while enjoying the beautiful facilities, amazing suite, delicious dining, fun activities and great service provided by our associates.

Be assured we will share your kind words with all our associates, especially David, who I am certain, will be proud to know that through his dedication and personalized service he was able to gain your appreciated loyalty.

Aberdeen Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Booked our vacation 2013 just before the news broke regards the take over from Hyatt Hotels. Many months in a panic as to would this be as good as our last visit when it was The Royal....What a waste of energy panicking.

Upon arrival were greeted by Soloman with cool towels and a welcome drink. Soloman wasn't there when we visited in 2011 and he really makes the effort to greet you when he see's you in the lobby. Our daughters loved Soloman. Please send our regards to him.

We were having a renewal of vows whilst at Zilara so I had been in touch with the wedding
coordinator Paty. All our arrangements were made to the highest standard and our day went perfect. Went to the beach party after our photographs and had a blast.

Food and drinks are plentiful at Hyatt Zilara and of excellent quality. One thing we noticed on this trip was the steaks were better than before. Asiana for lunch was amazing. I think people forget that its open at lunch time too. Didn't have a 'bad' meal whilst we were there.

Guadalupe is still there and remembered us when she saw us. Jose at the pool bar was great too. In fact all there was not one member of staff who I felt didn't go out of their way to make our vacation memorable.
Will defiantly be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear megan2203,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you and your family to Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your vow renewal and we are excited to know you had a truly amazing experience.

We are very happy to read that you had a fantastic experience while enjoying the improved food & beverage offerings and excellent service.

Thank you very much for recognizing our valued associates such as Solomon, Paty, Guadalupe and Jose for their personalized service and dedication and be assured we will communicate your kind words to them. I am certain they will be very proud to know that assisted in making this occasion truly memorable.

Once again, thank you for your preference and we cannot wait to host you again during your next trip to Cancun.

Alfonso Jarquin

Been to Hyatt Zilara Cancun? Share your experiences!