We are just back from the Zilara. On arrival, we were taken to the Members room, as we were with members. We had made our reservations in September but nevertheless were told that our rooms were not available but that we could upgrade for $40 per night to a corner room with a steam shower. We agreed to do this but were kind of upset that our originally booked rooms were not available. Kind of a bait and switch. Anyway, we get to our room in a circuitous way because one of the two elevators at our end of the building is out of order - and has been for 3 days and will continue to be our entire stay. Ok, so we get a little exercise taking the stairs. Our room is indeed a corner - spacious and ocean front. Except for one small problem - the AC won't shut down. We tried everything and they told us - oh, sorry, just put on another blanket. Um, no. We need to change rooms.
The next room is very nice, probably our original room and they agree to refund one $40 fee. The food and drink are very nice - we tried Maria/Marie and I had the best cilantro soup and Caesar salad there. We did the Chefs Plate and unfortunately had to listen to a blowhard monopolize the conversation with how wonderful he was. No amount of food is worth that but the food was good - duck mousse, leek soup, rolled up chicken, and a nice salmon filet. The wonderful sounding dessert looked like they opened a can of diced apples on a piece of puff pastry with a little vanilla ice cream. Woo hoo. How much nicer a cheese and fruit plate would have been. Breakfast and lunch buffet at Spice were always wonderful and there is lox at every meal. Pelicanos is ok food with gorgeous beach views. It's a sit down in your bathing suit with a cover-up place. At no place did we see anyone really dressed up except for Mr. Wonderful at the Chef's Plate who actually had a tie on.
I had a massage and tipped well but there are many people who don't. If you come with a few ones to spread around, you will notice that you are always the first to be taken care of. bartenders and wait staff were really good - room service quality was ok.
The resort is very clean, very pretty and all employees approach you with their head bowed and one hand over their heart. I felt that was a little much. I would have been happy with a Ritz Carlton, "My pleasure". Language was never a problem. Friends of ours got sick here, we are not sure whether it was alcohol, food or a combination of the two.
Drinks were plentiful and there is also a mini bar in your room. A nice feature is the scale in the bathroom! It kept me from overeating and feeling bad about myself. Bath and vanity items were wonderful, the small hair dryer did a great job quickly, and we used the safety box in our room and never heard of anyone's room being broken into or things stolen. There did not seem to be many Europeans here, although there were quite a few Japanese and they have a Japanese concierge - very nice.
The surf is rough and while walking, one in our party saw a man who had apparently drowned being pulled out of the surf. Do not drink and think you can swim here - the waves are very strong. Life guards on premises will keep you safe but once you are off the property, you are on your own. The pool is beautiful and warm, and there is a hydrotherapy circuit along with steam, sauna, and hot tub in the fitness center that you can use - separate facilities for men and women.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal In Cancun Hotel Cancun
- The Royal In Cancun Hotel
- Royal Cancun
- The Royal Hotel Cancun
- Royal Hotel Cancun
- Royal Cancun Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hyatt Zilara Cancun, an adults-only, all-inclusive resort (min. age 16), formerly THE Royal Cancun. Prominently located on the widest stretch of beach in the heart of Cancun’s Hotel Zone, Hyatt Zilara Cancun is an adults-only, all-suite, all inclusive resort where guests experience traditional Mexican warmth in an intimate yet casual setting.Our resort features spacious suites with breathtaking views of the Caribbean and offers world-class dining, an impressive array of upscale amenities, outstanding service from an attentive and thoughtful staff, and spectacular grounds and facilities.Hyatt Zilara Cancun offers a myriad of activities and conveniences including, sophisticated culinary options at six gourmet restaurants, rejuvenating treatments and services at The Spa– Cancun’s only ocean view spa – wine and spirits tastings, enhanced pool and beach butler service and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Otel and Venere so you can book your Hyatt Zilara Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.