“Loved the ME” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved the ME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Just returned from the ME and also read mixed reviews before going so wasn't sure what to expect. In my opinion, everything was great and this hotel is gorgeous inside and out.

Pros: Great restaurants and great food for being an all-inclusive. For all the people who complain about the food or drinks not being up to standard, those people must be really used to high-class living and dining. I've stayed at other all-inclusives in Cancun and the atmosphere of each restaurant at the ME, plus the food and service, was better than any other I've experienced. We were able to get any type of drink we wanted except the wine selection is very limited. The service was also a lot better than I expected after reading the reviews. The waiters at lunch or dinner let you order as much as you want and the drinks kept coming. Around the pool and beach, the waiters were always coming around and bringing drinks back in a timely fashion. The only thing that cost extra is if you want to order food at your chair by the pool and have it brought to you. Although, there is a pool side grill where you can walk up (if your not in the mood to sit down and dine) and get hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken wings and carry it back to your chair. Not sure why people are so lazy to complain that they can't eat by the pool when you clearly can. As far as having to sign for everything, yes it can be annoying to have to do that but its really not that big of a deal and we did not receive any extra charge for anything at the end of our trip. We tipped in cash to avoid having a bill at the end. As far as tipping goes, its not clear whether or not its included but it makes sense to tip since you usually tip extra anyway when your not at an all-inclusive and its common courtesy. We didn't mind tipping as long as we got great service. The $5 room service fee isn't that big of a deal either. One time when we ordered, they only charged us for 1 person when we got food for two. It's worth it compared to how much food and drinks cost outside of the hotel if you go out to eat. We went to Hooters for lunch one day across the street at the La Isla mall and paid $60.00 for 2 people to eat with one cocktail. Having the all-inclusive was totally worth the money since apparently the prices at the restaurants in Cancun have gone up over the years. The hotel is also very beautiful and has a calm and relaxing atmosphere to it. We were dreading returning home the entire time. The rooms were clean and nice and looked how they did in the pictures online. Loved the big rain shower and aveda products and bathrobes.

The hotel did have a few Cons but nothing big enough where I wouldn't recommend staying here. The check-in process is very slow and you do have to return back to the desk to get your room key at 3pm if you check in before that. They should have a seperate line for guests who just need to get their keys if they already checked in. Luckily the woman who was passing out welcome drinks, helped us get our room key without having to rewait again in the long line. They did give us our all-inclusive braclet though at 12pm so we could get lunch by the pool before our room was ready which was a plus. The other big con is the dinner reservations. You need to make a reservation to eat dinner every night and make sure you do that early. If you can, I would make a reservation for all your nights ahead of time at once. Silk seems to be the most popular place to eat and you need to book that in advance or the only times that will be open are after 10pm. The Beachhouse and the Water Grill were good though and more fun to eat right on the ocean. Also plan on getting up by 7am to reserve a chair by the pool. By 9pm all the chairs are taken but only because people must have gotten up to lay a towel down on them then went back to bed because the pool is half empty which is annoying. There are a lot of open chairs on the beach though and you can get drink service down there too. The noise level in the rooms wasn't the greatest but nothing that caused me to not get sleep. If you have a room on the 1st floor right over the rose bar then you might have a problem because they play loud music and you can definately hear it through the floor but luckily our room was further away from it. Overall, we were very happy and had a great time for a great price. Its a great hotel for couples or adults over 21 but I wouldn't recommend it for families with younger children.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear chigirl1424,

I would like to thank you for dedicating part of your valuable time on writing to us. We are very happy to read that you really enjoyed our hotel and service. Thank you too for pointing out our areas of improvement, be sure we are going to take it into consideration in order to get better and fulfill our guests expectations. We hope you come back soon, it will be an honor to serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Ups:
- Beautiful, clean hotel.
- Overall good food (didn't love dinner at the Beach House).
- Comfy rooms with music, robes, iron, bath products, coffee pot, ocean view and big windows (no patios).
- Incredibly clean and fabulous beach (yes, we had to mark our chairs early every day with towels).
- Fun people- watching. The scene in the roped off beach area on Fri and Sat (total club scene) was loud and fun to watch. Probably not for everyone but it was entertaining.
- SPA- 25 minute massages were heavenly as was the jacuzzi in the SPA.
- Service- although the service was a bit slow at times, everyone was very friendly and attentive.

Downs:
- Check in process- took 30 plus minutes (we were 3rd in line) and still don't understand why the lengthy process. Had to go back to check in at 3pm to get our room key but they upgraded us to ocean view room so that was nice.
- Dinner reservation process- a long line formed at 9am every day as guests had to make reservations to eat dinner at any restaurant and only one reservation agent working. *Tip- make all dinner reservations for entire stay in one visit.
- GYM- only 2 treadmills and 2 eliptical machines and all were constantly in use at 7am.
- Slow elevators and no public stairwell to guest rooms.
- LOUD hallways. We heard doors slamming and people giggling and partying at least 5 times per night.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at ME, Cancun. The weather was ideal and we felt like our money was well spent. Left the hotel only once to check out the shops across the way (about 7 min walk).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear TLWhite,

We thank you for sharing your feedback in order for us to identify areas of improvement within the hotel. We are going to take your commentaries into consideration with the objective to bring to our guests the best service possible. In regards to check in process let me tell you that I´m going to share this review with the Reception Manager to follow up on this. We really appreciate you pointed out some details that need improvement. We hope you can give us another chance in the future to change the impression left on you. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Have gone on 5 trips to vacation hot spots (Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica) ME Cancun surpassed any hotel I've ever stayed in. (including ones in Vegas)
CLEANLINESS - outstanding. There were always staff walking around cleaning something. Our room was cleaned every day by the time we got back from the beach. (around 4pm) The beach was beautiful. White soft sand. The rest of the hotel was sparkling clean everywhere. Even the beach bathrooms.
LOCATION - perfect. Can walk to the Flamingo Mall or La Isla Mall within 5 minutes. But, far enough away from the "Night-Club/Flea Market" zone to be a bit more quiet. The bus ride to that area was less than 5 minutes. Busses go by (R-1 or R-2) at least once every 2 minutes. Only 25 mins from airport. (if that)
ROOMS - I can't (obviously) speak for all rooms. We stayed on the 9th floor and had an ocean-view room - which was spectacular. It's high enough to get a great view of everything. We slept with the windows open every night (except Saturday - there was a very loud wedding reception going on at the main pool) The windows actually blocked a lot of the noise. When you close the windows, the a/c automatically turns on. Took a while to figure out the tv - the "Digital Box" for cable was actually near a vent in the ceiling. So, you just have to point the remote there...and not at the tv. Mini-bar stocked every day. They also have a ton of stuff (with yellow stickers on it) that you can take but will need to pay for it upon check out. CD player in the room with a "ME Chill" cd in it. It was like being in a spa every time you'd turn it on. The music all around the hotel was "Spa-like"
SERVICE - pretty good. The maids don't speak english. If the front desk is lined up - you'll wait a while. Waiters (for 90% of the time) were great.
WAIT STAFF - pretty good. You may have a few different waiters - it didn't seem like one person was assigned to any one table. While having dinner one night at "SALT" I got up to go to the buffet and my napkin fell off on to the floor. (I didn't notice) One of the waiters (as I was told by my fiance) promptly ran over, picked it up and then went and got me a new one. There are waiters that work on the beach and around the pool. They'll bring you drinks and food from the grill. They come back more frequently if you tip them each time they come.
VALUE - we paid $3750 for the week. That got us an "Ocean View Room" If you get a "Lagoon view room" you'll pay less. It was absolutely worth the extra couple of hundred bucks.
SLEEP QUALITY - best "hotel bed" I've ever stayed in. Sheets were so soft - which is especially nice when you have a sunburn. Friday, Saturday, Sunday - a bit loud outside - music coming from various places. I imagine if you're on a lower floor, it might be hard to sleep. Being up high and having the windows open - falling asleep to the ocean sounds is perfect. (Plus - ZERO bugs)
RANDOM things I noticed - the outdoor bars/restaurants send out a "mist" every so often - I think it might be to help keep th air cooler if it's super hot out. Nice touch.
Candles - there were actual lit candles throughout the hotel every night. Not just those stupid fake tea lights.
The whole hotel has sort of a a "High-Society" feel to it. "SALT and SILK" restaurants have menus that resemble "CHOP" (one page menu - so not a ton of choices) But, my fiance did say that the steak at "The Beach-House" restaurant was "KEG" quality.
I'm an extremely picky eater (no fish or beef) but I managed to find something I liked. The guacamoli is outstanding.
The breakfast buffet at "SALT" is unbelievable - I think I ate my weight in kiwi fruit. They'll even make you smoothies if you want. (and of course - omelettes and waffles)
If you go to "SALT" for dinner (on the non buffet night) - guys have to wear long pants.
ROSE BAR - Fancy/chic/cozy/ - on the weekends they have an in-house dj. Good mix of people. (not like those discos in other all-inlclusivs) It's got kind of an "Old Hollywood" feel to it. On the weekends you can reserve a seating area (not sure of cost) and you'll get your own waiter.
BALI BEDS - there are bali beds on the beach and around the hotel. They are not free. (there are a few beds without canopies around the pool, that are free) (even if a bali bed doesn't have a "reserved" sign on it - it's still not available - it's probably that they just forgot to put a sign on it) All of the "red" loungers are not free. For $40 US - you can rent one for a day - I recommend you try it out at least one time - it's worth it. A waiter will come by as soon as your drinks are done. They'll bring you a menu to order food for lunch and bring it right to you)
SIGNING - yes. You have to sign (and give your room number) for everything you ask for. I'm not 100% sure why - but who cares. When they give you the bill - it will say "No Charge" at the top. There is an option to "tip" but unless you have your credit card number on file at the front desk - they will not get the tip) It's a good idea to carry around change.
Cappucino from "E-Space" cafe is awesome. Computers are free but very slow. The "@" symbol on the keyboard is actually on the "Q" key. Then on the bottom of the keyboard (to the mid-right hand side) is the "shift" key you have to use to get the "@" symbol to work. (I think it says "alt sym" or something)
Elevators are slow.
DO NOT get talked into a "free breakfast" at another hotel to get information about a "Time-Share" It's a scam.
AVEDA products in room - very nice.
Would absolutely go back.
I think the higher price helps to 'weed out' young-loud-party people
Wouldn't recommend for kids - they'd get bored.
Pools are really cold - but really refreshing if it's hot out.

Dear NewestHotelCritic2,

Thank you very much for this positive review, I can see that you and your fiancé really enjoyed your stay at Me Cancún. It is encouraging when we read experiences like yours, when we are completely sure that we exceeded your expectations, and you are satisfied with our quality service. Thanks for sharing your experience with other travelers. It will be a pleasure to have you back soon. If I can be of any assistance, please contact me.
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

There are many mixed reviews about ME, some good, some not so good and we were apprehensive when we booked. However, our experience was wonderful. Check in and check out were quick and easy. The hotel is beautiful. The food is excellent at all of the restaurants and service 95% of the time superb. It doesn't take long before you learn that you need to reserve at all of the restaurants. All of the personnel is very friendly and warm. We took chairs by the beach and as long as you are there early enough in the am to reserve chairs, no problem. Chairs are reserved or taken early in the pool area. The only negative comment is the noise during the night, party'ers returning to their rooms being inconsiderate of other guests. With all of the marble, noise carries easily. Rose Bar is fun at night. I would highly recommend ME and would return gladly.

Dear Ricky40,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it is a pleasure to know that your stay with us was fantastic, It´s very pleasant to read commentaries as good as yours, thanks for recommending us.
We hope you come back soon, please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I think that the food and drinks are probably some of the best that I have had at an all-inclusive. Sometimes the service can be a little slow, but you are there to relax, not rush. On the flip side, you have to sign a slip every single time you order something. If you just want one coke at the pool, you have to sign a slip with your room number. This can get a
annoying. I think we got used to it by the end of the trip, but I would much rather have just order my drink and walk away. Also, if you wanted room service, you had to pay 5 dollars per person, each time you ordered and I heard it was pretty slow. We were there over Valentine's day and they did offer a Valentine's dinner on the beach for 200 dollars. I can understand an extra charge, but I think that that amount was sort of ridiculous.
Pool and Beach
I loved the way the pool was set up and the beach was great for long walks. If you look at pictures, you see a bunch of bali beds on the beach and by the pool. Don't plan on laying in any of them unless you want to pay 40 dollars a day. We spent a lot of money on this vacation and I was a little put off that I had to pay an extra charge to lay in a bali bed. All the other chairs by the pool get snatched up pretty quickly. My husband got up at 7:30 and said that he couldn't find one seat.
Room
We asked for a king and were put in a room with 2 doubles. I immediately went back down to the front desk and asked for a king bed and they accommodated us but we had to wait about an hour. We were put in room 661. I really like the way the rooms are decorated and they seemed pretty clean. The mini bar in the room was sort of a joke. Our fridge didn't keep things cold and there were green dot stickers and yellow dot stickers on everything. You could only have items with a green dot sticker with your all inclusive package. Items with a green dot included 2 waters, 2 mini beers, and 2 cokes. Also, I think our TV was broken. When you turned it on, you heard a lot of white noise under the voices on the TV. The hallways get noisy and it's Cancun, so people do get inconsiderate and scream in the hallway when they come home at 5am. This was annoying, but not the hotel's fault. Also, I wish the rooms had balcony's.
Staff
The staff was great and really tried to help out with what you needed and treated you well.

It was a great stay, and I would totally recommend it because the food was so good, but at this point, I'm not sure that I would return, simply because I felt nickle and dimed.

I would be happy to answer any additional questions that you may have.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
Dear Cjean24,

First of all thank you very much for sharing your experience with Me and with other travelers. I´m deeply sorry to read that your experience was not completely satisfactory and we couldn´t fulfill your expectations. We really appreciate you pointed out some details that need improvement. We hope you can give us another chance in the future to change the impression left on you. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at the Me for a week for wedding and used the all-inclusive program.

There are pros and cons to the majority of most hotels when traveling so you have to decide what you can live with or without. I personally found the Me to be over-rated for a place that is trying to be a high end hotel and they need to do some fine adjusting to get to the level they're attempting to be.

These are my personal pros and cons

Pros:

- Beautiful and clean property, the grounds and hotel were spotless.
- Very friendly serving staff and house keeping, we kept money and valuables on the table all week and they were there when we left.
- Food was exceptional for an all-inclusive. We have stayed at many all-inclusive and this was bar far the best food. The coconut shrimp was unbelievable, burgers cooked to your liking, the beef they use in their dishes was so tender they must be using AAA prime.
- Great location, close to malls and restaurants and a fantastic beach.
- Different DJ's and theme music every night.
- Free Wi-fi in rooms and all around the grounds, there are plenty of computers in the e-space. Personally I would rather sit outside in the sun or by the pool than sit indoors using Facebook, get a life people.
- Pet friendly hotel which was nice seeing our party had two dogs, they were not allowed in the restaurants which was fine by us.
- No poolside activities which we find tacky and loudly annoying so it falls under a pro to me.
- Very few children which also falls under a BIG pro to me.
- Beer is served in cans or bottles and not in a plastic cup like many other resorts.

Cons

- Check-in and check-out is excruciating slow, I was afraid I would miss my shuttle back to the airport. They really need to pick up the pace at the front desk and get some staff that have a better grasp on english. If I was traveling to a remote area of Mexico I would understand but this is a prime tourist destination. The vendors on the beach had a better grasp of the english language.
- Swimming pools are ice cold, the ocean was warmer.
- As much as the hotel says they are all-inclusive, they are NOT. All-inclusive is only until midnight so if you plan to drink after that you better pre order a bunch of drinks and hoard them. After midnight you will have to pay through the nose. Drinks were cheaper in New York. This was really a bone of contention with us seeing we like to have a nap after being in the sun all day,have a late dinner and then party after. It was cheaper to go to Daddy O's.
- There is not enough loungers on the beach for all the guests which is a big scam. I saw a argument break out between two guest where security had to step in over chair reserving/towel removing on a lounger. When asking staff if there are any more chairs they say no but then tell you there are lots of Bali beds are available to rent for $50 US. If you rent a Bali bed you get faster drink service and you can order food from the lunch menu rather than getting up and getting it yourself. This was a major negative to me, bordering on fraud.
- The lounge/bar have reserved signs on ALL tables and beds, once again the same scam in forcing guests to rent tables and chairs. Come on Me this is an embarrassment and is costing your guests from returning. I witnessed many an argument with staff over this practice. I can understand reserving a few tables and beds for out of hotel customers but it was ridiculous. This was the biggest turn-off of all, probably the biggest complaint I heard from guests.

We had a great time seeing we were with a larger group. If ME would work on some fine tuning this could be a great resort to visit but it is by no means in the same class as the Blanc. This hotel would appeal to people that don't travel much and don't know the difference between good service and fantastic service.

If you're told everything upfront you know what is expected but the whole chair/reservation situation was a major turn-off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear dalsforlife,

Thank you for taking part of your time to share your experience with other travelers. I am truly sorry to read your experience at Me Cancun wasn´t satisfactory at all. We thank you for sharing your feedback in order for us to identify areas of improvement within the hotel. I am very sorry in regards to the check in service when you arrived to the hotel, but you can be sure we will work diligently on it to make sure our guests perceive the service quality in every area of the resort. Thanks again for pointing our areas where we have to get better, whenever you are coming back, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I have absolutely no idea what people are complaining about in previous reviews. I think it says… a lot when your biggest complaint about your entire trip is that the elevators were a little slow.

Let me start off by saying that the service is PHENOMENAL. All the bartenders and waiters are friendly, fun, and attentive. I want to especially praise Paola, Hector, Rene, Florencio, and Andres. All of them did great jobs and each of them remembered us whenever we were at the bar or restaurants. They were impeccable in their service. The drinks were great. Go for the mojitos! And definitely take advantage of all the delicious shots they can make.

The beach is gorgeous. Warm turquoise water, soft sand, good waves, and lots of lounging space. The pools are also very nice. Additionally, there are waiters who will take your drink orders and run all over the beach and pool area bringing you your cocktails. Very good service.The only restaurant that involved a longer wait was Silk. The service wasn't bad, but they just seem to be the most busy, so the service is slower. If you were going to skip any restaurant, I'd skip this only because we have far better Asian food here in the states.

The breakfast buffet at Salt is incredible. Nothing like fantastically prepared waffles, pancakes, omelets, or if you adore Mexican food like me, traditional Mexican dishes to start your day. The breakfast buffet at the Water Grill is smaller, but still delicious and right on the beach. The Beach House serves different menus for lunch (latin-flare) and dinner (fancy Mexican). Both menus, though, are delicious. Get the steak wraps for lunch! Water Grill at night is like a traditional Brazilian steak house. We received the best service there and had a lot of fun being served grilled meats off of swords. Try the grilled shrimp! The poblano soup (if that is the soup of the day) is also great. Salt's lunch and dinner buffet isn't as varied as their breakfast, but the food is still good--especially meat off the grill. The Water Grill does a similar buffet for lunch. As people have stated in previous reviews, yes, there is a $5 per person service charge for room service, but it is for as big of a spread as you want. We ordered five different meals and just pigged out at 5 in the morning. Room service is 24 hrs!

Reviewers have also complained about having to sign for everything ordered. We thought it was weird initially, but we got used to it. We did ask why we needed to and were told that they use those receipts to keep inventory on everything. Plus, there are people who don't do the all-inclusive, so they need to do have a bill. If you don't sign those slips, your waiter or bartender has to pay for the items. That made sense to us, so we didn't raise any issue with having to sign. We got used to it quickly and it really didn't take any time to jot down a room # and signature. The hotel is gorgeous: well-designed, cleaned, and posh. The shower is absolutely incredible and the beds are fine. In the rooms there are stereos with axillary capabilities (the USB hookup doesn't really work right with iPods). You should note that the stereos aren't iPod docks, but if you bring an auxiliary cord (which are super cheap), you can listen to your iPod in your room. I will say the walls are thin, but that's a commonality with newer hotels. My sleep wasn't ever really disturbed from noise.

Rose Bar was cool, but the outdoor bar was much more happening. The music on Saturday night was awesome. They do play a lot of house music which can get really annoying, but folks visiting from Europe seemed to really enjoy it. The bars do close earlier than the surrounding clubs, but that just ensures you get to enjoy prime tanning hours the next morning. My friends and I are planning to escape the Ohio cold every January and stay at Me by Melia. One of our best vacations ever.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Charlob,

First of all I really want to thank you for recognizing the excellent work that Paola, Hector, Rene, Florencio and Andrés did for you during your stay, be sure that they are going to see this review because is like our trophy, nothing make us happier than our guests remembering people who work to deliver the best vacations ever to guests, here I can notice than we achieved our goal. If you are planning to escape from Ohio every January we will be waiting for you.