“Annual Cancun vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cancun
“Annual Cancun vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was our second time to ME Cancun in 3 years. We go for the all-inclusive nature and the high quality of the hotel. We only lounge in the sun, eat, drink, relax - ME fits the bill for us. Breakfasts are well done and efficient. There are enough lunch options but the poolside grill takes a bit of time (but what's the rush). The food is excellent at Silk & Salt. We do a combination of pool and ocean side sunning typically and the service is great - you really just need to ask. The staff is very personable but it means you also need to be a bit outgoing as well. We don't speak but a few words of Spanish but it doesn't matter with anyone. We would have loved to keep the windows open every night because we can hear the waves but due to some parties and maintenance work going we had to close up. Highly recommend this place!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Kirk B
We deeply apreciate the time you took to share your commentaries with us and tons of travelers. We apreciate you spreading the good Word and sharing with millions of readers what the ME experience is all about.. We can´t wait to host you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I don't even know where to start this review because my experience from the moment I arrived until I left was above and beyond expected! My boyfriend and I booked our trip before Christmas and have been waiting impatiently since then, especially during the polar vortex!

The service was impeccable. Everyone that works at this resort is so nice, friendly, and service-oriented. We never once experienced any sort of bad attitude from anyone. We never felt like we were asking for too much. On the first night we arrived we hadn't made reservations and the staff was still able to get us a table at the first restaurant we walked into. One night my boyfriend was very hungry after an evening of heavy drinking, and the staff got us into a restaurant again without a reservation. I have to give a shout out to Alejandro at the E-Space bar as he was very cool and I had a good conversation with him. The man who worked at the grilling station at the pool was also great (wish I remembered his name!).

The food was great! I've stayed at quite a few different all-inclusive resorts, and this one has had the best food I can remember! We especially loved the breakfast buffet, the lunch at the Beachhouse, and dinner at Silk (the spicy tuna roll and hibachi rice and steak were great!). The cheese appetizer at Salt was addictive.

The bed was extremely comfortable and shower was spacious with a rain shower head. The whole hotel was very modern, clean, and well-maintained. The night life wasn't overly exciting but we were usually too tired to stay up too late after being in the sun all day anyway. The Rose Bar had a nice atmosphere, but I would have preferred Top 40 or hip hop music rather than the techno/house music they played. That's a matter of personal preference of course. They also opened up the bar outside at night which was nice, and I wish I had realized that earlier during our stay.

The location of hotel was also very nice. We walked down to the Flea Market one day. If we had walked the other way, we later realized we were walking distance from a high-end shopping mall. Walking the beach and seeing all the hotels along the hotel zone was interesting to us.

One tip we discovered is to get up early to reserve a poolside bed. While the ones with the huts over them cost money to lay on (which is a bit strange but I can understand why they do it), the small beds closer to the pool are free as long as you reserve them early enough. Taking an afternoon nap on them was sooo nice! It was also strange that you had to pay in order to have somewhere to sit/lay down in the infinity pool area. All of the beds in there cost extra money. But we made do. We just swam in that pool and kept our stuff somewhere else.

Anyway, I can't wait to go back :o).

Dear Jess H
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with tons of readers! We love when we get to read about guests living it up to the ME experience! We are thrilled to have had hosted you and we look forward to hosting you back again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Let me start by saying this was my 3rd all inclusive trip, but the 1st time I am writing a review. Overall, we had an amazing vacation, and there wasn't much we would change about the resort. I traveled with my wife and another couple, all 28 years old. Let me clear up a few things that I wish I had known when thinking about whether to book here or not.

The hotel was very nice overall. Like other people mentioned, everything is very clean and smells good. Our room was the nicest and biggest I have stayed in the Caribbean. There were a handful of English speaking channels on the flatscreen TV. There is a DVD player attached as well as iPod dock. The wifi worked great in our room the entire trip (311) but our friends room on the opposite side of the same floor (352) was very spotty. But if you needed wifi, it worked great down in the lobby (plus they have computers you can use down there as well.) As for the noise, it must depend on where your room is. We went to bed early on Friday night and heard nothing from our room on the 3rd floor. But we heard later from our friends who stayed on the 10th floor that they could hear the music, so it must depend on your proximity to the elevators.

The food was great. We only ate at buffets for breakfast, how cool (and rare) is that for an all inclusive? For lunch, there are 2 a la carte restaurants, and a burger bar. There may have been a buffet as well inside, we were never sure and didn't care to find out. For dinner, there are 4 a la carte restaurants and a buffet outside by the pool. We only stayed 5 nights, and ate at all 4 restaurants (and did room service the last night). All 4 restaurants are good. We liked all 4 pretty equally. Not sure how some people hated any of them. Some people have unreasonably high expectations I suppose. Get your reservations for dinner as soon as you get there for that night and the following night. Then be ready to book your reservations at 9 AM each day (for the following night) if you want to try all of the restaurants like we did. Silk (around the Hibachi table) and Salt are especially necessary to book ahead of time. Men need to wear pants at Silk and Salt, as well as Rose Bar. Flip Flops were fine though. The room service food was fine, not great but better than I would have expected. If people really want to complain about paying $5 I don't know what to say to that. The service everywhere was excellent. It would be impossible (and boring) to list the great waiters and bartenders, because they were all great. We had 0 bad experiences with any of the workers. They were super friendly and engaging. We brought 50 $1 bills, perfect for tipping.

The biggest surprise for me was the lack of a night life. Thursday and Saturday nights were great. There was a DJ outside of the rose bar playing top 40 type music with dancing. That was a lot of fun. They even shot out smoke and confetti on Saturday night! But on Friday night, the only option was the Rose Bar, which was not our style at all. It was a trendy bar with a DJ blaring bad techno music. No dancing, very little talking, and no sitting unless you wanted to overpay for bottle service. If we had known that ahead of time, we would've gone out downtown on Friday night. As far as I could tell, there was absolutely nothing to do on Sunday night. We sat outside and talked before calling it quits. Again, a little disappointing just because of how they present the resort and from reading the reviews we thought it would be more of a party scene.

As for the many people complaining about the extra charges and different bracelets: for us it was a complete non issue. I guess the big difference is some of the higher end liquor only came with a brown wristband. If that's important to you, then upgrade! If not, drink your Takate Light and calm down. Even with the orange wristbands there was more name brand alcohol then I was used to. Dos Equis beer, Absolut Vodka, Jose Cuervo Tequila to name a few. We didn't pay for any beds or services the entire time. Getting a seat by the pool was difficult but not impossible. We generally found a bed or two at 9AM or so, hung out for a few hours at the pool (regular and infinity), then made it over to the beach in the afternoon when the shade took over the pool. We never had problems finding chairs at the beach. The ocean was perfect; warm, clean, and decent waves.

Overall, this was a great trip for us. I could see it not being right for everyone, which is fine, just wanted to clear things up so you know what to expect. If you're looking for an entertainment team with activities, pick a different resort. I would even say if you're looking for a real party resort this isn't for you. It's more in between; low key, relaxing during the day, and the occasional party at night.

Dear John D
We deeply apreciate the time you took to write such a nice and detailed review of your stay with us. Thank you very much for sharing with other travelers so that they can get to know more about the ME experience. We truly look forward to hosting you back soon!
Cancun
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

If you were all inclusive you were not treated very well... there were so many things off limits to the "orange" bracelets. It felt like we were lower class on vacation... also you had to make reservations to eat dinner every night, otherwise you did not eat dinner. The hotel was also overbooked. The music was terrible... every night and day you were listening to rave music... awful! The scene is definitely for young rich club kids. And dont try to get sleep on the weekends there..we were on the 6th floor and heard music loud and clear till 3am all weekend long!

Dear Vaughn E
We deeply apreciate the time you took to share with us the feedback on your most recent stay. I am truly sorry to read you did not enjoy your experience. It s true we are not a typical all inclusive resort. We have a complete me package which includes dining in all our restaurants, Premium bar, minibar ítems, Premium accomodations and fitness center. We also offer privileges and services which are available for those looking to enhance their experience upon an extra charge. I am truly sorry to read we are not the type of hotel that suits your style of vacationing, we would be pleased to share with you other choices withi our Premium brands portofolio which may suit better your style.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at ME Cancun this Jan. The weather and the travel weren't ideal but the resort was FANTASTIC. Great food, service, nightlife. Only negative was no wifi signal 90% of the time.

Dear Sean D
Thanks for sharing your review for tons of travelers to read. We greatly apreciate your feedback adn we are truly sorry about the wifi signal. We truly hope to host you again in the near future !
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day all inclusive holiday to this hotel. Jan/Feb 2014
We will not be going back. Whilst the hotel itself is very chic and tastefully designed, the minus points outweigh these which explains my rating for this hotel.
The plus points for the hotel are the majority of the staff who we found to be friendly, helpfull and very courteous. The beach is pretty without being wow. The food was good but is by no means fine dining.The rooms are fine but look below the surface and are a little worn and probably more a good 4 star. The cleaning staff are very good and very efficient.
The bad points, which incidentally spoilt the entire holiday are as follows.
This hotel is VERY noisy. The party nights are Friday and Saturday with the base music, which is very annoying and invasive, lasting untill well after 0300 in the morning. Then you get the drunk rowdy people noisily returning to their rooms. Every early morning you will hear the slamming of doors and raised voices in the corridors throughout the hotel..Your clue is that the hotel provide free ear plugs with your room. You have been warned by myself and other reviewers!. We were forced to change rooms and downgrade to a non beach view on the 8th floor just to get some sleep.
You are required to book a restaurant in advance to eat in the evening. The system that the hotel employs ,whatever it is, is a complete lottery and was the greatest source of complaint from other guests that we saw on a daily basis. Even booking two days in advance we could not get the time or restaurant of our choice, and neither will you. Often we were told all l have is 5 o`clock or 10 o`clock left at a place we had eaten at previously. You will see heated arguments as you queue up in the line every day to get a reservation that you don`t want.
If you can get it book the Teppenyaki which was the best meal for us. As other reviews have said, after fighting to get a half decent dinner reservation, as you walk in, the restaurant will be half empty, never did work that out. The breakfast buffet is very good by the way.
You will not get a sunbed by the pool after 0800hrs. If you want entertainment look out of your window at 0700hrs (you will be awake) and watch the people rushing round the pool area putting out their towels for the day, then dissappearing for several hours.
This is the first all inclusive that l have been on that l had to pay extra for services and better quality food and drink. The drinks are watered down which is probably the norm for this area.
If you want excellent service tip well in US dollars.
The beach is nice but always busy. You can whilst on the beach compare the party music during the day from this and the neighbouring hotels who compete to drown out the jetski`s and boats who tow advertising banners up and down the coast.
If you want a chic vibrant hotel that is party orientated this is for you, if not, avoid.

Room Tip: Low level beach view rooms are very noisy.
Dear Thompsons3
Thank you very much for having shared with us such detailed review. We deeply appreciate the time you took to share your commerntaries with us. I can assure you we will be analizng this and taking it into deep consideration for future action. I am glad to read you were staisfied with the service, our food and accommodations. We truly hope you give us another chance in the future so we can host you and prove our main objective is your satisfaction.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is the absolute worst resort I have ever stayed at. So many things went wrong with my trip. It's not actually all inclusive. They don't include a shuttle to pick up or drop off from the airport, so you can possibly get scammed by the airport taxis. There is apparently a mandatory $5 tip if you want to do room service, expect the room service to arrive in 1-2 hours. They ask for $30-$40 or a mandatory bottle purchase (depending on the day and who is working) in order to sit near the adult pool. There were two days the staff forgot to leave us towels in our room. The first time it happened, it took about 3 hours for the towels to arrive. The second time we called them about our towels, they never showed up! I don't think many people will book their trip like how me and my significant other did, but basically I was joining him 2 days after he arrived so we called ME Cancun to figure out how much it would cost if I paid for flight and resort fee separately and the representative promised us that it would cost $220 per night. We wanted to pay it right away in order to lock in the price but she said I can still get the same when I arrive and that she kept a note on our file for us. Prior to my arrival, my partner spoke to 3 staff members and got all different answers 1) First staff member told him the $220 note is not on our file but it will not be a problem and added it for us 2) Second staff member said I shouldn't have to pay at all 3) Third staff member said the pricing is time sensitive and that it has increased. OBVIOUSLY by the time I show up, they have no record or any idea that I was showing up and they asked me to pay $280 per night. On top of that, upon check out they told me I hadn't paid yet.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 39Jennie39
Thank you very much for your commentaries. We would have been pleased to assist you while you were still in the property of we had knwon about this. We apreciate your feedback and we will definetely take it into consideration for future action. We hope you give u another chance in the future so we can gain you back as a customer.

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!