This was our first trip to an all-inclusive resort anywhere and I have to say that I absolutely loved it.
1. The resort seems brand new and very very well maintained.
2. Service is top-notch and attentive, tips or no tips (I always did tip 20 pesos every time I ordered a drink and 50 pesos after meals)
3. All restaurants are awesome and most of them are a la carte; no soggy generic buffets here for lunch and dinners.
4. Breakfast buffet was incredible.
5. Constant drinks and food service on the beach
6. While we went in January during an unusually cold North American winter, the pools were oddly cold. The water in the pools was colder than the ocean!!!
A few other recommendations about Cancún. If you wish to truly connect to local lifestyle there, make your way to Parque de las palapas in Cancún centro. As long as you speak passable Spanish, you will get to enjoy street food for virtually no cost. You can take the R-1 bus to El Palacío and then just walk a block to discover this gem.
I'd also suggest checking out the bars and restaurants on Av. Yaxchilan.
The concierge, understandably, concentrates on the lowest common denominator and will suggest malls, bars etc in the hotel zone alone. That's not real Cancún/Mexico...