“ME by Melia - Breathtaking, luxurious, super-clean! Friendly staff, A+” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ME Cancun

up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“ME by Melia - Breathtaking, luxurious, super-clean! Friendly staff, A+”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was the 1st visit to Cancun for me + my husband. It was also our 1st All-Inclusive ever. The ME by Melia hotel is a beautiful, luxurious, top-notch hotel. It was like having a hotel inside an art museum. It was super-clean, through and through. There is artwork everywhere, paintings, sculptures; even the furniture was sleek and stylish. The gorgeous photos you see of this hotel are absolutely accurate. I have never stayed at a more pleasantly aesthetic location!

The hotel: The hotel sits on the beach. The beach is also very clean. The waters are clear turquoise and there was hardly any seaweed at all. The sands were white and soft. A neat thing about walking along the shore: as the tide ebbs and flows, the wet sand feels spongy, springy to walk on. My husband and I both remarked how it felt like memory foam. It felt amazing! There are dozens of lounge chairs. There were a few days it was hard to find a pair of available chairs (others tend to "reserve" the chairs early by putting their towels on them) but there was hotel staff who were very helpful in finding us open ones. There is also beach service: Workers will come to you (at your beach chair) and ask you what you'd like to eat or drink. They'll even provide a bucket of ice!

The pools: There are apparently 3 pools at this hotel. I only saw 2 of them and only swam in one. It was the large one with the fountains, right next to the Beachhouse restaurant. The pool was very clean, too. There are lounge chairs and cabanas all around. We never had any difficulty finding an open spot. Hotel staff also takes drink orders poolside. There was also a grill offering burgers, turkey hot-dogs and chicken sandwiches. (We never got any of those, but the food smelled great!) We really wish there was a hot-tub and heated pools.

The dining: The ME Cancun boasts 4 restaurants, but it really felt like two. The Salt and Silk are two restaurants in the same building. The Water Grill isn't actually a free-standing restaurant (either that, or it was under-construction; we never saw an actual building) We could make reservations for the Water Grill, but we had to eat at the Salt/Silk.

Salt: Salt had great food. I had the prime rib; my husband had the shrimp linguini. Both were excellent! The salad was also exceptional: full of fancy lettuces and curly carrots. Salt is also the only place open for breakfast, so needless to say, we ate at Salt at least once a day.

Silk: Silk has Asian-themed food. We never ate there during our 4-day stay. so I can't really say anything about the food.

Beachhouse: The Beachhouse is right next to the main pool. It is the only place open for lunch, so yes, we ate there daily. Very good lunch offerings; our favorites were the salad, lime-chicken soup, Mediterranean grouper and Arrachera steak. We had dinner at the Beachhouse one night. We didn't find it as pleasant as the other nights (for dinner) It was quite windy that night. The restaurant is open-air, so all the strong breezes were blowing in, which made dining a little difficult. Many diners, including us, changed tables to avoid being in the direct winds. All the restaurants are dimly-lit for dinner, but the Beachhouse is the worst one: only a single candle at the table to help you read your menu. The food was OK I had the grouper, which was very good. My husband had the chipotle shrimp, which was served colder than expected. Also, the portion was kind of small. We had also ordered tuna salad, but didn't expect the tuna to be practically raw. (The waiter said it was seared, but neither of us liked the taste or texture, so we nibbled at the salad)

The Water Grill: As mentioned before, the Water Grill isn't an actual free-standing restaurant. We made reservations for the Water Grill, but sat at the Salt/Silk to dine. The Water Grill has no menu; waiters bring out various food to each table regularly for diners to sample. Everything tasted great! From the salad, to the mashed potatoes, sauteed carrots to the grilled meats! The grilled meats were brought out on a huge skewer!

The service at all restaurants was fantastic. There was only one time we had to wait a long time for food (lunch at the Beachhouse one day) but it was very busy and the servers were very apologetic. The waiters were so friendly and helpful. Some of our favorites were Luis Zetina, Jorge, Juan and Eduardo. Luis was ALWAYS smiling and was so helpful! The waiters all work very hard so we felt like giving tips.

The hotel room: Again, super-clean, smelled great and looked like a museum. We had an ocean-view room: great view of the main pool and the ocean. We enjoyed watching the sunrise from the comfort of our chair! The shower is superb. I normally do not like rain-showers, but this one was fabulous. Very strong pressure and the temperatures got as hot as I wanted. The shower was also huge; it even had a bench where you could sit. If you do not like rain-showers, there is also a hand-held attachment. i think this is also great if a guest is disabled; it'd be much easier to help give a shower this way. The toiletries were by Aveda and they smelled wonderful. I didn't even have to use my own shampoo, I like theirs so much. The only things I did not like about the bathroom were minor: the towel rack is on the opposite end of the shower. If you forget to take a towel closer to the shower door, you end up walking across the bathroom all wet and drippy. Also, the bathroom sink is very pretty and artsy. It's an actual bowl and the faucet is a lever-type. The lever was a little hard to press so whenever we turned it on, the water always came out too strong. If we had our hand, a cup, a toothbrush under the faucet when we turned it on, it would always splash all over. Again, very minor, no big deal.

We didn't try the Yhi Spa, nor did we order room service, so I can't comment about those. We did visit the fitness room. It had several fitness machines and weights. i thought the view was a little disappointing (I think the window faced the side of a building)

Two FUN things we did that were unrelated to the hotel: 1) we took a tour called the SubSee. it's a glass-bottomed boat that sails along and you get to see coral, fish, rays, turtles and all sorts of underwater life. We booked the tour the same day through a representative at the hotel. It cost $47 per person, (plus an $8.50 per person park fee) We took a city bus ($1 each) to AquaWorld. From AquaWorld, we took a boat to the SubSee. It was a great experience and we really enjoyed it. The city bus ride was actually fun (especially if you stand in the bus; it's not for the faint of heart! The bus goes FAST!) The boat ride was also fun. There was a lot to see along the way, before we got to the Sub. The captain was pleasant and offered everyone drinks!
2) the other fun thing we did was walk to La Isla mall. The walk was less than 5 minutes from the ME Cancun and it was pleasant, safe. The mall is outdoor-style. There are fountains, sculptures, restaurants. We also found a great gift shop that had much better prices than the famous "Flea Market" (Mercado 28) (Other reviewers have raved about the Flea Market, but we didn't really like it. Everything seemed overpriced and the sellers weren't very friendly) So take a short walk to La Isla!

Other things to mention: We arrived in Cancun at 8pm We hadn't arranged for transport. This wasn't a problem as there are more than enough offers for taxis and shuttles to the hotels. We were told a private taxi would cost $68 US, but a shuttle would cost $17 one-way ($25 round-trip) We took the shuttle, but before we did, we directed to a booth to speak to a representative. She was very friendly. We thought she was helping us book the shuttle, but after about 10 minutes of her talking and describing the tours and promotions that were being offered, we realized she was a saleswoman trying to get us to book services. We were so tired (and hungry) from our travelling that we just wanted to get to the hotel. She wouldn't take No for an answer so we literally had to walk away from her while she kept talking! The shuttle (Yellow Shuttle) was pleasant and efficient. If you book a round-trip, remember to arrange for your pick-up from the hotel. We did this by calling the concierge at the ME, who in turned connected us to the shuttle line.

There was entertainment on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday was the most fun as there was a DJ outside, loud music and lots of confetti. (Thursday and Friday only had a DJ in-house) We were kind of disappointed that Sunday and Monday nights were quiet. We were a little bored those nights so we took the opportunity to lie down on the cabana beds and gaze at the night sky.

Wi-Fi: There is free wifi all throughout the hotel. We got a strong signal in our room (we were on the 1st floor) the lobby and the Salt/Silk restaurant. We did not get a good signal outside, by the pool area. The wifi would usually time out if you weren't actively using it, so you'd have to log on every so often. There is no login/password..

Reservations: You must book a reservation for dinner at the ME each night. You can do this by calling extension 3121 There were some days that dialing this extension got me nowhere! No answer for over an hour! I finally went down to the lobby and found the reservations desk. No wonder there was no answer! There was only one woman working the desk. There was a line of guests waiting to book with her and she was pretty slow! I think we waited almost 30 minutes just to make a reservation! Other guests were noticeably frustrated. A hotel with hundreds of guests and only one reservation line (and reservations only available from 9a to 5p) is not a good thing. On a different day, there was no wait and we were able to make reservations at the desk with ease (a different agent)

Overall, our 4-night stay at the ME by Melia, Cancun was amazing. It was worth every penny and we'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ocean View was great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

First of all, let me start by saying that my stay at the Me Hotel in Cancun was amazing. I was a solo traveler and it was my birthday weekend. All of the hotel staff went over above the standard to be sure I had an excellent stay. I met so many people from all over the world and it was a wonderful experience.

I chose to stay at the Me Hotel based on the recent reviews of other past guests. I had stayed at another hotel a few years ago when I went to Cancun, and while I did like that hotel for its youthful spring break atmosphere, the Me Hotel is superb on so many levels.

The Me Hotel provides an all-inclusive adults-only type atmosphere. It is modern hotel with a youthful atmosphere and perfect for the young professional. I saw very few, if any, kids on the premises, which was exactly what I wanted. I love kids, but on this vacation I wanted to enjoy myself without the joys that come with kids. The Me Hotel has a little something for everyone. Whether it is relaxing on the beach or on a daybed by the pool, grabbing a drink at the swim up bar or enjoying the bars and dance club in the hotel, the hotel has something for everyone. And not to mention so many good looking people, which is always great for singles!

Prior to my trip I researched all the different rooms based on various reviews and decided on the Loft Suite. My loft suite came with an outside balcony, a day bed and two lounge chairs as well as stunning views of the ocean. It had a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom with a nice view of the ocean. My room also came with VIP access, a mini-bar with many items complimentary and a free bottle of tequila. You get access to free room service and all of the restaurants all included. Plus, with VIP you get a separate check-in and special VIP treatment and freebies, including a 20 minute massage at the Spa, which you can upgrade. VIP also comes with transportation to/from the airport so make sure you book in advance with the hotel to take advantage of this perk. Miguel, Paty and Lucy all went out of their way to give me the best VIP customer service and I was very appreciative of what they did to make my stay be the best possible experience. VIP is included with the suites and totally worth the extra money. If you are on the fence about staying in one of the suites, I would highly recommend VIP. After all, this is your vacation! As far as the loft suites, the ones with the interior view are the best if you want to feel a part of the party. However, the ones with the exterior view are quiet, relaxing, romantic and overall just as nice too.

The main restaurants are Salt, Silk, the Water Grill and the Beach House. Salt and Silk are most popular so make sure you make reservations early. The food at all of the restaurants is very good and the service is excellent. Salk, Silk and the Beach House can tend to be a bit slow so that you can converse with your friends and enjoy the dinner as a leisurely pace. Tip: As a solo traveler, I actually preferred eating at the Water Grill, which is like a Brazilian Churrascaria, as the food is constantly delivered to your table throughout the meal so there is not a lot of down time and waiting, which can make you feel impatient and frustrated when you dining are by yourself.

The Spa staff members were also very helpful and my massage was awesome. It is pricey, similar to what you might get in Las Vegas. I also used the gym at the hotel. The equipment in the gym was adequate for the basics that you need. It was nothing super fancy but they do have several cardio machines, ab balls and light weight free dumbbells and some weight machines. They weight machines are a bit outdated but they do the job.

The pool and beach staff members were very attentive and even more attentive when you give them tips. Also, they have a BBQ going in the days with burgers, chicken sandwiches and hot dogs. The pools themselves were very clean and had a nice capacity. Most people tend to start the day at the pool and end up at the beautiful beaches in the afternoon.

Finally, one thing I wanted to mention is that overall Cancun is very safe. People are concerned from what you hear on the news about travel recently to Mexico, but for a city that thrives on tourism, it is very safe. The bus is the best way to travel and is very easy. It costs $1 each trip. You can take it to enjoy the city’s amazing clubs or even venture into downtown Cancun. It is safe and much cheaper than a taxi. If you end up taking a taxi, make sure you find out the fee for the trip BEFORE you get in the car. I had two times where the driver ended up charging more than it should have been. I just paid the fee rather than argue, but always ask BEFORE! As for the clubs, the City Club is enjoyable; it’s huge and similar to what you would find in Ibiza. Mandala, comparable to Pacha, is more upscale but a good party. Coco Bongo is the most popular and is primarily shows of impersonators and is notably the most expensive. My favorite for the best all-around party was Congo Bar - a fun atmosphere and the best economical deal.

Hopefully, this little summary helps you get a glimpse of my trip to Cancun. The Me Hotel gets 5 stars and a high recommendation. I will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel is good. You may want to request a room away from the elevator. Splurge on a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed at ME for 3 nights whilst we awaited the next available flight to Cuba, which we missed the previous day due to being stuck in NYC for 48 hours thanks to the snow storms. As such, we had no intention of ever spending a single night in Cancun so I will temper this review bearing that in mind.

ME is very nice if you are after an all-inclusive resort. After staying up the road the previous night at the JW Marriot (for one night) I can say you probably won't do much better in Cancun. Cancun is a beautiful stretch of beach ruined by countless American-type hotels plonked on it and devoid of anything at all really Mexican. I mean, everywhere you can pay either USD or Mexican pesos. But that is not ME's fault - it exists within this environment and does pretty well I guess.

Staff were great, vibe was good, restaurants were decent (but would get tired after more than 3 nights) and free wifi was nice. But there were always huge delays at reception for anything and our laundry was like USD127 so make sure you don't need laundry done (it's not like there are other options in Canucn btw). It was all ok just a bit "meh".

We'd never go back to Cancun. Just horrible and I don't understand why people holiday there. Convenience? But if we got stuck there I'd either go to a backpackers and if that was full, ME.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

A wonderful experience with outstanding staff. We stayed at the Me, Cancun Jan. 2014. The amenities were as advertised and the food in all the restaurants were top notch! Make restaurant reservations when you arrive. The alcoholic drinks were top-shelf. Me Cancun is located in a perfect area of the beach where the surf was not too rough. The entertainment was good but can be loud late into the night... hotel does provide ear-plugs. Plan your stay on a top floor. We were delighted by the friendly and quick service provided by the staff. From front-desk, bellhops, concierge, bartenders, waiters, maids - everyone was extremely courteous. Special reconocimiento to the staff: Andrea Delez (front-desk), Cesar Sesin (office manager), Marco "Homero" (beach waiter), Isabell Santos (huardia), and many others. We've stayed in Cancun before and do plan to return to the Me again!

Room Tip: A wonderful experience with outstanding staff. The entertainment was good but can be loud late into...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cancun
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Hotel was ok. Music will drive you crazy. only beers they have is Tecate. Tey use Jimador as the tequila for margaritas. No turn down service, even tho they advertise it. Does not feel like you are in Cancun, it feels like you are at a cheap casino. Food was terrible for breakfast and dinner. Not enough umbrellas. Bar/ lounge no DJ. I would not stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I recently stayed recently stayed at this resort, and I cant think of anything but good things to say. This resort has to be one of the most beautiful resorts in cancun, the pool was amazing, the beach had very nice tanning beds cabanas and a great service. The food was also amazing, we really enjoyed salt and thank you Antonio for making it such a great experience. The bars and the drinks were also great; however, there was a long waiting time to get a hooka. Thanks to Estala our room was immaculate every time we walked into it. I really recommend this hotel, because although it rained for most of our trip we still had an spectacular time.

Atco, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was the first visit to Cancun for both of us . We had a very wonderful experience. The hotel is absolutely beautiful.The staff is very pleasant and polite. the service was awesome, on the beach, by the pool, anywhere you go there was service. the beach is so very beautiful and the water is warm,once you got in...If you leave a tip for the maid she will leave plenty of wash cloths and towels. the food is very good, not a very big selection but all of it was good. I like the fact that there is a dress code for dinner and breakfast was a very large buffet.we ate our lunches out in the sun...they do not have anything for kids although there was a few here. I would recommend this hotel for couples and singles.the beds are very comfortable, I slept better than I do at home. we loved it would defiantly return...and if you come here dont worry about transportation if you take a tour its included and if you decide to go shopping or clubbing its only 80cents to take a buss anywhere

Room Tip: the ocean front is a better view,the sunset side wont see the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!