“Great waitstaff, disappointing service at front desk and with the hotel concierge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ME Cancun

Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I just finished our 5 night stay at ME in Cancun, Mexico. The hotel is really pretty and although I've traveled all over the world, I've never experienced a more accomodating and friendly waitstaff at a hotel. The food was incredible and it is situated in a great location.
However I will have to say that the front desk needs to be better staffed. There were only 2 people working when we checked in and checked out and the check out took over 15 minutes of waiting in line (and no one was concerned or appeared to be even aware which was even more disappointing.) We ended up missing our shuttle and when we asked the concierge for help he was rude and in the end didn't attempt to help. I also would suggest if you are buying a package deal, do NOT buy one that includes Best Day Travel in your "free round-trip transportation." They were late picking us up at the airport and then because we were a few minutes late due to our delay at the front desk, they took our bags out of the van, left without notifiying us (this happened in a total of 5 minutes) and then refused to send another shuttle (even though they're a large company in Cancun.)
Again, the hostesses, servers and bartenders are fantastic however something needs to be done about the front desk and the wait time in regards to serving customers. If you book ME be prepared to include at least 15-20 minutes in your check-in and check-out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Overall the Hotel is excellent. The food service is awesome. The manager of the restaurants, Fares Turki, gave us the best service and attention. I definately recommend this Hotel for a nice trip to Cancun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is going to possibly be a long review so i'll put a summary right up front. :)

My wife and I spent a week (6th-13th July) and had a wonderful time. Our intent on this trip was just relax with minimal stress, lots of reading, beach time and adult beverages; total success. The service was top notch 90% of the time, the food great with lots of variety and the beach fantastic. The staff were polite, professional and while appreciated, they never pressed for tips. The halls for the rooms are "boomy" so door slams come through pretty clearly. If you are in the north/east side of the hotel, the sounds from the adjacent Beach Palace can be loud but never after 10. The overall vibe of the hotel is young and hip with constant (but never annoying) club/dance music heard throughout. ***notice to guests*** all inclusive does not mean you don't tip for service! The staff works hard and never once had a hand out. We'll definitely recommend the ME to friends and family as well as look for other ME's elsewhere.

More details
My wife and I have been in the service industry for years so we empathize with the work the staff do and the challenges of working with the diversity of guests. As such ***one tip for travelers is to take plenty of small bills for tips; a few dollars go a long way. That said, we saw plenty of people who didn't tip and their service didn't seem to suffer.

We took the yellow transfer taxi service from the airport to the hotel: $96 for two people roundtrip, in a solo cab. Worth it over the lesser cost shared ride shuttle options (crammed in a bus/van with frequent stops at hotels)

Checkin was smooth and once completed, Arturo brought us a spritzer which we enjoyed while he explained how everything works, the different hotels, what's included and what's extra. There was a "coupon" book included that got you discounts for massages, room upgrades, and other upsells. We didn't use them as they really didn't feel like "deals".

Our room was on the second floor (255) and faced the Beach Palace hotel. Noise from the hallway travels and you can clearly hear the doors closing from the rooms around you but very little sound from the adjacent rooms. The bed was super comfortable, the room large and the shower terrific. Maid service was good but little things slipped. The travel cups were never replaced after the first day, one of the mugs went missing so I had to ask for another, there were no spoons or stirrers for the coffee service, one of the lightbulbs in the bathroom went out and was never replaced. However cleanliness was never an issue. ***Electrical sockets were plentiful which is great for gadget people traveling with lots of electronics like me :)

Dining options are plentiful between 4 restaurants plus room service (included!), plus a coffee bar with premade sandwiches and pastries. We enjoyed every meal which were served hot and tasty every time. Julio took great care of us at breakfast and the buffet was abundant with lots of variety. We frequently had lunch on the beach which has a smaller menu understandably but it was all good and freshly prepared. Highly recommend the steak and cheese sandwich as well as the guacamole!

Beach service was terrific from Alex and Carlos; those guys really hustled ensuring our drinks were frequent and bottled water replaced often. The ocean was beautiful, the beach clean and the life guards on top of it. ***if you see a big place in the ocean absent people, they weren't leaving it open just for you! Don't swim where red flags mark the beach. ***the hotel should add signs to the life guard tower explaining the flags. The main pool has a swimup bar that always had a crowd and there is an adults only pool but we didn't use either.

Dinner requires reservations and you should get those done early to ensure you get what you want. ***Silk and Salt both require long pants and closed shoes for men, all restaurants require footwear and shirts which I really appreciated. ***One ask of the hotel dining is to dedicate servers to just keeping water glasses full. We tried all of the restaurants and were pleased. ***The sushi rolls are mostly rice and unimpressive but the tuna sashimi and shrimp nigiri were fantastic. We had the hibachi twice ;)

Fri/Sat have the nightlife with beach parties, live djs, entertainment in the Rose Bar. The Rose bar has "bottle service" which basically means you buy a bottle of alcohol and get comfortable reserved seating. We didn't check out any of the nightlife; we aren't clubbers but were never bothered by anything going on in the hotel. Lots of beautiful people running around so good for people watching and eye candy.

Overall we were very happy with our experience and would definitely consider it again for our next trip to vacation.

Here is my tipping guide which I think was reasonable*:
$2-5 breakfast
restaurant lunches and dinners $5
Umbrella guy $3-5
beach staff $10 for the day
Bar $1xdrink
bell boy $1xbag

*truthfully I spaced planning for tips and didn't bring enough small cash so I was stretching what we had. Getting change seemed to be more challenging than expected so next time will take a lot more small bills.

Room Tip: North/east side next to the Beach Palace get a lot of noise when they have events going on which is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Janoitaly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hey guys I've been in cancun for so many times that I can't count I've been in so many all-inclusive resort that if i name them u will be bored so I will just tell you this don't go to Me hotel if you like to have some fun during the day or every night because there isn't any exept Thursdays and Saturdays if you checkout Saturday you will have only Thursday and one more thing hookah cost 22.00 US dollars if charcoal is done u have to pay an extra 22.US dollars ,cabanas cost arround 150 US dollars , the only thing I liked about this hotel was cleanness ,food,and all servers in restaurant and arround the pool or on the beach were awesome specially Miguel our server on the beach ,Lalo and Carlos even our made Maria Reyes ,also I likeded the hotel security . so my only complain is lacking the entertainment which is very important to me and to my group ,we were all bored a lot ,for the first time I was very happy when I was going home. One more thing in my opinion this hotel it's not all inclusive it's some inclusive.

Room Tip: Our room was on sixth floor with ocean and pool view but there is no balcony only some has balcony w...
Methuen, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was recently at the ME Cancun for vacation with my sister and we had a blast! The ME was great! The food, the rooms, the beach! The beach staff especially were Incredible.
We had a server on the beach (CARLOS NUNEZ) who was the most fantastic guy! He had our chairs, table, and umbrella all ready for us on the beach when we got there. He waited on us constantly with food and drinks (And Tirelessly!). He must have went back and forth for not only us but everyone else on the beach, hundreds of times! He was so sweet, courteous and friendly. You could not ask for better service. I would rate our experience at the ME a 10 Star!
All other staff were just as great, all the time smiling in desert heat. The DJs were phenomenal also! I would go back to the ME Cancun in a heartbeat! LOVED, LOVED THIS VACATION!!

Thank you everyone at the ME and especially Carlos!

J & K (USA) JULY 2013

Room Tip: All rooms I heard were great!
Burleson, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We just stayed a week at the ME. June 29th-July 6th. I have not one complaint about this great hotel. Very clean, food was great and it's in the best location. Check-in was very slow that Saturday, but that can happen any where! Make reservations each day at the restaurants. The food is fabulous. I loved the bali beds. This hotel works really hard to keep the grounds and the beach clean and do a great job. If you are looking for a hotel that has entertainment at night or around the pools, this is not your place. Very relaxing and quiet hotel.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

When looking for a place to go in Cancun, I didn't want the typical spring break fare with the screaming limbo guy at the pool. I was looking for the feel of the W at the Beach and I got that with the Me. I am a two-time all inclusive guest. While I went all inclusive, I also realize that I like to splurge on vacation and don't want the standard buffet fare. While we typically ate breakfast and lunch on property, we tended to eat out 4 nights out of 7 (ex: Harry's).

Adult Pool/Beach Club: There are typically DJ's starting around noon and a couple of times a month they bring in big name guest djs. Yes - there is an extra charge to get a bed, but its really no big deal as we would drink a bottle of Moet at the pool (not included) and that would cover the cost. If you enjoy this type of electronic music setting, then you will have no problems with cost.

Rose Bar: We never had an issue here. The only up-charge we saw was Red Bull. Again, understandable when many all inclusives dont stock it.

Rooms: I am a big fan of the Loft Suites... I would ask for something on the 6th or 7th Floor and facing the pool. That is the best view.

My only complaint is that I wish they would publish their DJ schedule sooner so that travel plans can be made. They typically only do this 2-3 weeks ahead of time.

Room Tip: I am a big fan of the Loft Suites... I would ask for something on the 6th or 7th Floor and facing th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!