“AMAZING PROPERTY, BEAUTIFUL LOCATION - MEDIOCRE SERVICE.” 4 of 5 stars

ME Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Kukulkan, km. 12, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #33 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Ozone Park, New York
“AMAZING PROPERTY, BEAUTIFUL LOCATION - MEDIOCRE SERVICE.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I would like to start off saying that this was one of our favorite vacations - we had a hard time leaving! The resort was beautiful. The beach was wonderful, the pool areas were TO DIE FOR! We stayed 7 days and 6 nights, and every day was amazing. I do have some qualms that I was hoping not to have at all. First upon check in, when you get in they hand you over to a person who tells you about the hotel and everything else the hotel has to offer -- but what they DONT tell you is that those people are marketers/reps for the Melia Brand who try to get you to join a VIP membership but you have to go to a breakfast or dinner for it which takes an hour and a half -- JUST SAY NO. If you are a couple like us, we just wanted to relax and have a good time. And they are always around the hotel and they remember when you say no and they keep asking you every day. Secondly - the service was VERY slow during the day (around lunch time and late afternoon). I think we waited almost 30 minutes for an ice cream! It was a little better at night. Lastly, the night before we left the power went out on my floor and also on the 3rd floor. It took them about 20-25 minutes to get it back up and then an hour and a half later - it went out again. I don't know how long it took to come back up because we went out on a tour. They also have these cabanas all around the different pool areas that are $40-$90 to rent. The $90 is closest to the pool itself but it is bottle service only. The $40 cabanas are a little further from the pool but we rented one and it was one of the best ideas ever! They are comfortable, they bring you drinks and food all day and it's yours for the entire day until you leave. We even left to eat lunch and go upstairs and left our things on the cabana -- everything was still there 3 hours later. The area is very safe -- there is a shopping mall that we went to twice that is right across the street from the hotel. Overall, we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Lagoon view rooms are NOT that bad - the view is beautiful, the sun sets on that side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Jasmine A
Thanks for sharing with us your most recent experience. I would likt to personally thank you for having taken the time to express your feedback. We are glad to read that yu enjoyed your experience and that we will be hosting you again in the future! Thank you for pointing out the slowness of service, we are as of now working on an action plan to improve our service during the day. I am sure that on your next visit we will be able to prove that our main commitment is with your satisfaction. As for the problem with the electricity there were some works done by the electricity company in the destination, which affected electricity in the hotel, we tried our best to solve the problem as soon as possible. I truly hope you were not too inconvenienced. We look forward to hosting you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

I would like to thank Victor (waiter)
(I forgot his last name ) but his service was by far the best I've had . Very attentive and genuine. I would defenetly stay in that hotel again and would love Victors assistants again . Thank you once again :)

Dear Par1s1
I deeply apreciate that you took the time to acknowledge Victor´s service. We are theilled to read that you enjoyed your stay and will definetely shre your comments with Victor in order to encourage him to keep up the good work. Thank you for posting!
Clackamas, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel was amazing and beautiful. The best part of this hotel was my waiter by the beach Marco "Homero". He was awesome and catered my every need. He was so friendly and made my stay very enjoyable. His overall attitude is just awesome! If you come here definitely ask for him! Overall I loved my stay here and recommend it to everyone!
-Ivan

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear IvanAga
We deeply apreciate your kind comments! I am so happy that your experience with us was amazing and that you found the hotel beautiful! I also apreciate your acknowledgement towards Marco´s service, I will share your kind words with him so he keep us the good work. Let us know whenever you are coming back!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I just spent my 30th birthday at ME Cancun and it was awesome. Alejandro "Alex" Gonzalez was our poolside server all weekend. He did an amazing job and went above the call of duty. I recommend asking for his section at the pool. Overall my stay was fantastic!

Dear BlakeAnderson
Thanks for sharing you experience! I am glad your stay was fantastic! and specially that Alex was able to provide you service beyond your expectations. I will be sure to share your comments with him and the rest of our staff so they keep up the good work. We look forward to hosting you back in the near future! Let us know whenever you are dropping back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

ME Cancún was such an amazing resort!! We were treated like royalty the moment we arrived. The hotel layout is gorgeous and speechless our room was the standard room. We had an amazing view of the beach and pool area still. Oh my god room service was outstanding!! We would order room service about 3 times a day and did not bother paying the $5 dollars delivery fee plus the tip. They deserve it since they do wheel in a cart full of food. We ate at every restaurant at the resort but our best one was the beach house. Our waiters Jose Luis and keke were so amazing!! They would treat us with so much kindness and made sure we were doing just fine. Jose Luis was so nice that every night he would ask the chef if he could cook me my own plate since I was a picky eater. My friends loved the menu at the beach house and the scenery was to die for. Please recognize Jose Luis and qeke for their outstanding service they deserve it!! The drinks that we had all week long were so good the waiters would come by with another drink without having to wait or tell them. The pool parties were very cool and the beach was within seconds away. The rose bar was our spot to pre drink before going out to the clubs. We met so many people at the rose bar that we now call friends. Seriously people I would not think twice to book at ME cancun. It's nearby downtown where all the clubs are at and minutes away from the airport. Also, I don't know why people complain about signing the tabs they did not bother us and did not take them over 5 minutes to give us our tabs. This hotel is spotless clean and smells very good in the hall ways. So classy, modern, chic, updated hotel mainly for young/older adults. We will seriously only be staying at ME when vacationing in cancun and will recommend ME to all our friends and family. Thank you so much to all the ME employees for an unbelievable luxurious vacation!

Dear Moskiee
We are truly happy to read about your experience and apreciate that you took the time to share it with tons of travelers so they get to know more about the ME experience. I will definetely share your comments with our staff and specially Jose Luis y Quique, I will be sure that they get a note on their HR file with your acknowledgement of their service. Thanks to you for having chosen us, we look forward to hosting you back!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

First time in Cancun, went to Dominican Republic before,and i think i'm gonna stick with Cancun/Mexico from now on.Why? Food is way better, no people harassing you to buy cheap junk or banana leaf cigars.

Negatives points we encountered :Staff at reception could be more nice, i know they don't always have good days, but... Arrived at 12 pm, room was not even ready at 3 pm, we were supposed to get a room on the higher floors (8th) but we were so tired of waiting they switched us to 3rd floor, we also asked a beach view room, we got partial beach view...Rooms have no balcony, that is a bummer, only windows that you can partially open. You can always hear your neighbor slamming his door and you think it's your own door. If you book with Transat, good luck getting info on your flight to get back, or to book activities,because their representative (Mauricio) was a no show,not even a binder with the flight info like the others have,binder has left the buiding lol....Thanks to Guillaume from TMR Travel, who gave us info on what to do if we wanted info on theses things plus he gave us a coupon for discount at the Tequila Museum! We won't book with Transat anymore... Unlike resorts, this is a Hotel, and you always have to sign a bill for everything you order, so it's kind of a waste of time...In the whole Hotel i saw only one cockroach in one of the computer monitor we use at the E-Bar near the lobby, wich is not too bad for Mexico...

Positive points: Food is amazing! Silk, Salt, Watergrill, Beachhouse...The buffet at Salt! They make WAFFLES!! I even had a Veggie sandwich and i don't usually eat that stuff, but with veggies cooked on the grill and goat cheese...OMG!! Better food than a lot of places in Montreal,good wine, all kinds of drinks, Mojito's are the best! Rooms are very clean,and we are picky on this. They clean the beach everyday, no seaweed in the ocean. You want a great time on the beach? Have Marco Homero for waiter, this guy is amazing, he will bring you your favorite drink, and will make sure you get another,sometimes before your first one is empty, water bottles in a bucket of ice, add ice when it's all melted,food from the watergrill menu, stick with him,don't forget to tip, he is very much worthy of it :-). The place is mostly to relax and chill out, they have nice decorations,sculptures, work of art and new age/jazzy music playing, not that loud BOOM BOOM crap kids listen in their 800$ Honda Civic, or dumb latin song like macarena or la bamba.Beds and pillows are comfy. The place does not smell like mildew or sewage like the other places i have been. The timesharing people did not try to "con" their way into making us have a lunch with them, or bribing us with a "surprise" like most of the resorts i have been to. I don't recomend this place to kids who want to go on an alcohol binge and get wasted, go somewhere else please lol, anyways, drinks here starts at 10 AM and stops at Midnight. This place is for civilized human beings, so i recommend it to this kind of people. :-)

Dear Martinsen073
Thank you very much for having posted a review of your most recent experience at ME. I apreciate that you took the time to share with other travelers. I apreciate your input regarding your check in experience and the view in your room. As for the cockroach you saw, I would like to share we have a very strict plague control program. Being in a tropical destination, plague control is really important and we work closely with auditing and inspections to ensure our environment is safe. I deeply apologize for this situation. I am glad you enoyed your stay and that you were able to experience our gastronomical proposal, I love our beggies sandwiches too! I will be sure to share your feedback with our staff and to congratulate Marco Homero for his service. We define ourselves as the place to party with style and I am happy to read we were able to deliver that experience to you. We look forward to hosting you back!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I travel quite a bit and this is our first all inclusive holiday and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. We were there from a Sunday - Friday in a beach front room on the 3rd floor. Our room was spacious, the shower head amazing! There is no bath in the bathroom which is a bit of a bummer for me but I could see why they didn't put baths in so that the rest of the room could be more spacious. I want to make a detailed review (addressing some of the common issues) because I know it will help future travelers make the right decision. We're in our early 30's with no kids so this place was quite perfect for us. Being adult oriented, there weren't any over energetic kids running around all the time. We saw many honeymooners, younger adult couples and older couples enjoy their stay.

Upon check-in, the front desk asked us if we're celebrating anything special and we told them it was our anniversary trip. That evening, we received complimentary chocolate truffles and champagne delivered to our room. Don't know if they do that for everyone, but we enjoyed it.

Umbrellas
We were on the beach for the first two days and then moved to the pool for the next few, so we experienced service from all the areas. Yes, the umbrella service at the beach is very slow. We would arrive from our room at around 10am to book our loungers and then move inside for breakfast. When we were there the first 2 days, the umbrellas only started to come out at about 10:30am, and they only have like one guy putting them up. So the one day we sat for 2 hours before we got an umbrella. We were very upset so we filled in a comment form about it and the next day umbrellas actually started to come up before we made it downstairs at 10am. I would like to say that's pretty good service recovery. Please note that there is only one guy putting up the umbrella and he pretty much always service those who tip him first.

Drinks service
We had great drinks service on the beach, both Carlos and Daniel who served us were amazing! Once they know what you drink they keep bringing them. If you plan to be there for a while they can bring you a ice bucket with a couple of drinks in them. Tip them generously because they run around and carry big trays of drinks all day long. You can tip however you like - cash or to the room and no mistakes on our bill on checkout at all.

Bali Beds
There are a few free ones around the pool, book those early if you want one. The ones that are for hire are $40 and they get taken quickly. So if you want to reserve one, reserve the one you want the day before. We hired one with some of the resort credit we had and it was quite a nice experience as we had drinks and food delivered to us and the bed is more comfortable than the free ones.

Signing for drinks
There is a shade cast by the resort in the afternoon over the main pool and we enjoy the poolside bar during those times. It is very refreshing to have a sip of a mango tango while you're cooling off in the water. Yes, you have to sign for your drinks but they could also keep a tab for you if you're at the same spot all the time. I actually quite like the fact that we had to sign for food/drinks, it just shows that the resort has some good internal controls and it gives a feeling of accountability which gave me a piece of mind.

Restaurants
Booking for the restaurant is not so bad and you could book for that night and the following night which helps. I think this makes sense in a planning point of view, so that they won't overload certain areas. I found the dressing up part quite nice as I felt as though every night was another special date with my husband. There are 4 restaurants, but Silk has a separate teppenyaki area so I would say that that you could have 5 different type of food for dinner without repeating the same cuisine. We had amazing food at all the restaurants and didn't wait long for food at all. Dinners were on average 45mins to an hour. Salt is probably the hardest to book for dinner as it's the smallest but the food is exquisite. The Oyster soup is so divine. Don't shy away from an early appointment at Salt, my husband and I went the one night at 6:30pm and got the only table of 2 with a beach view. Sushi, Fusion dishes and the teppenyaki at Silk was amazing. We love seafood and the fish was so fresh, try the salmon/tuna meal for the teppenyaki - beautifully done. The Water Grill was great for lunch and supper, a lot of meat at dinner time with a Brazilian BBQ theme. Lunch has a great variety too and we preferred the Water Grill to the Beachhouse. If you want to have anything casual for lunch, grab a bite at the poolside grill which also makes quite a good pepperoni pizza.

E-space
There is no tea and coffee facility in the room and if you find yourself wanting something to snack on, go to the poolside bar, they can sort you out. Had a nice chocolate cheesecake from there the one afternoon. They make good coffees too, it saves you a few bucks from going to the Starbucks down the road.

Noise level
The resort is pretty quiet from Sunday - Wednesday. As we were on the 3rd floor we could hear the music on the Thursday evening from a corporate function but it didn't bother us much. But as the weekend approached, we could see that the parties would get louder, so request a higher room before you arrive. We couldn't get one on the day when we asked.

Shuttle
We researched all the options, eventually my husband contacted the resort before our arrival to organize the shuttle and we were given a complimentary one way shuttle by them. It was worth $30 and it was very much like a private shuttle as we were the only 2 occupants. We would recommend it, they had a clear sign at the airport, no hassles at all. When we left we booked with the same company and the shuttle was just for the two of us.

Room Tip: Beach front is the way to go if you can't afford the "level"
Dear Helenseaborne
Thank you so much for having taken the time to write such a detailed an dobjective review of your most recent experience at Me Cancun. I greatly apreciate that you took the time to share with tons of travelers. It is usually bad reviews which tend to spread faster so we deeply apreciate when guests with great experiences as yours choose to share their review. I have already shred your comments with our staff in order to encourage them to keep working hard towards our guests experiences! we truly apreciate your feedback and definetely hope to host you again in the near future. Please let us know whenever you are coming back, we will be thrilled to host you.

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!