“Death by 1000 papercuts” 2 of 5 stars

ME Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Kukulkan, km. 12, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #33 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Surrey, Canada
“Death by 1000 papercuts”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Would not stay there again, would not recommend to a friend. Let me explain...

We stayed at the ME for 4 days. What does a person look for in an all inclusive? If you're me, you hope for great food, great drinks, quick service of both food and drink (so you can get back to the pool/beach), great availability of food and drink (options) and lots of spaces around the pool an on the beach to relax at. ME ranked poor in all these areas, plus had the added nuisance of having to sign the receipt for everything. (We read about this in reviews before going and thought "how bad could it be?". It's a major nuisance and slows down service big time. Trust me.)

During our 4 day stay, we were only wowed by the lunch at the Beachouse. All other food was mediocre and we sampled each option.

Drinks - slow to get, limited selection , often you would get something entirely other than what you ordered and then be given a 'beggars can't be choosers' shrug by the bartender.

Beach/pool seating - have never seen an all inclusive resort with so few beach/poolside deck chairs. Have also never seen an all inclusive with so many cabanas/couches/beds etc you must pay to reserve or buy bottle service to sit at. (Want to sit in the infinity pool area? Bottle service only if you want a place for your towel. Cheapest bottle option? $1350 pesos)

Other miscellaneous head shakers: Two of our 4 nights the Rose bar (the only bar open after dinner is over) was open to the public as well. It was full to max capacity, couldn't get a drink, so we wandered the entire hotel to find another option. nothing else was open.
The service - prepare to be ignored by rude bartenders. We had one really great, friendly waiter and two great friendly waitresses our whole stay. Of all the resorts I have stayed at have had better service and English speaking as well. We had a couple of situations where our traveller's Spanish couldn't get us by.

They ran out of towels at the pool 2 of our 4 days.

There is no entertainment other than a DJ playing house music from noon - 4am (at top volume). No poolside games, no night time show, no group busses into the Cancun nightlife or pub tours, etc.

The rooms don't have patios or balconies, and inside the room it is so humid your bathing suit will take 2 days to dry. (We walked up and down the beach - every other hotel has patios on the oceanview side.)

Like I said, death by 1000 papercuts. All the little things on vacation add up, and if you really want to be wowed and get the most out of your time, stay somewhere else. I wanted to have a great time, and really did have a great vacation in spite of the resort. Seems like they're going for a very young and sexy vibe with all the decor and bottle service and whatnot. I'm under 30 though and it's not my idea of a good time.

Redeeming factors? The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The beach in Cancun is lovely but that's more thanks to mother nature than the resort!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Lindsay E
I would like to take this opprotunity to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with us. I am truly sorry to read your experience was not a satisfactory one. I deeply apreciate your commentaries and will definetely follow up on them with our F&B director. I would like to share with you we would have been pleased to assist you and find a way to address your concerns while you were still in house in order to gain you back as a customer. I understand that our proposal of a lifestyle hotel offering a complete me package was not was suits your style of vacationing and for that I present my most sincere apologies. I apologize if any of our staff members did not protray the ME attitude, we have tons of commentaries of guests prasing the service they received and the great attitude of our staff, however when we recieve comments like your we also apreciate your input and will most definetely analize the areas of opportunity to take the neccesary corrective measures and ensure our staff is what the ME experience requires. I am truly sorry we are not yout type of hotel and we truly hope you were not too inconvenienced. In the future we can share with you other hotel choices within our premium brands portofolio which may suit better your style.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Korean first
Corona, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Me from March 20-24th on the Level Floor. Check in was a breeze with the help of Sabrina. We were greeted with sparkiling wine and our beautiful room was ready upon arrival exactly how we requested it with an ocean view. Our room was always cleaned with all of our amenities; We had room service on Sunday at it was delicious and arrived in a timely fashion. Our best experience was hanging out by the Infinity Pool for adults our server Juan Luis Hernandez Fernandez was amazing he truly made us feel at home. Always accomadating us and making sure that our drinks food and area were to our liking. Valeria also came by many times to make sure that we were having a good time and had everything that we needed. We also went to Yhi Spa and our massages were amazing. Barefoot Dinner was super romantic. Our waiter in the mornings Domingo was also very attentive and the service was excellent. Even our check out with Jose Maria was a great he accomadated us even after our transportation back to the airport left us. The decor of the hotel is beautiful modern and chic! Food and drinks were amazing never water down. This was my 3rd visit to Cancun and by far my most memorable and amazing! Thank you to all my friends at the ME for making our trip so special!!! WE WILL BE GOING BACK FOR SURE!!

Room Tip: Room 1032 is the place to be!! Beautiful Ocean view right next to the Concerige and elevators!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Krisha B
Thank you very much for sharing such a nice review of the hotel. We are thrilled to read your kind words and that other travelers will have the chance to read more about the ME experience. I will share your comments with our staff so they keep up the good work. We hope to host you again in the near future.
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Lets put it this way me or my friends will never go back to cancun the food veriety was vary small and not so fresh some of th bar tenders were mean and expected crazy tips for drinks like 2 usd$ wasent enough but other then that the resort was ok could use a lil fixer upper here and there they try to charge you for anything extra that they could, the all inclusive ends @ 2am on drinks, i have been to many different places and the services was the worst here im sorry i have to write this but i want people to know what they are getting into before they go. i think if they changed some of there staff they would do alot better Thanks for taking the time to read this

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear leo i
Thank you very much for having taken the time to post a review. I am truly sorry to read that the impression we left on you is by farthest what we want our guests to experience. I understand that you were not satisfied with the variety of our gastronomical proposal and I would like to share that our chef is always open to working with guests in order to create special menus for those with special likes, we also have a menu designed for foodies in which by a simbolic charge you can get Tomahauk steaks and other specialties. When it comes to our bartenders attitude I greatly apreciate your input and we will most definetely look into it. We would have been pleased if you had reported this while you were still in house in order to identify if there was any member of the staff who was not portraying the Me aura. There are tons of commentaries in which guests express their gratitude towards staff´s service and If there is someone in our staff not being attentive and caring to guests we are the very first interested in knowing. We hope you give us another chance in the future to prove our main commitment is with your satisfaction.
Evanston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Overall, ME Cancun is a good hotel with good amenities. My group and I had a decent time, but the experience didn't quite live up to expectations. As for background, we are in our late 20s/early 30s and were in search of a hotel with a moderately active day/night life, in order to avoid the bars and clubs filled w/ undergrad spring breakers. Based on the marketing materials (descriptions by the hotel, bars, pools, pictures, reviews, etc.), we thought ME Cancun could satisfy our requirements. The hotel succeeded in providing a relaxing environment, but failed miserably on the fun. For us, it bordered on boredom.

The hotel caters to families (this is not “adult only”), an older crowd (~35-45 age range), and couples. The positives are that we did not run into many college spring breakers. However, the pools and beach areas were relatively tame with adults, and families with young children. The rooms were clean and service was good. All the employees were attentive. All four restaurants were decent. If you’re looking for a hotel where you can have alone time w/ your significant other, or with a group of close friends/family, this is a good place. If you’re looking for a bit more fun, look elsewhere. The pool and beach “parties” were sparsely attended. DJs were sub-par and seemed to have a playlist on repeat.

As a note to future travelers – a few of us had “stomach” issues. Not sure if it was the water or ice, or the raw vegetables or fruit.

Shout outs to the ME Cancun staff – Carlos J provided excellent service at The Water Grill restaurant (worthy of a promotion). Enrique and Joe (both wait staff) and Anna were also great and attentive. Service was one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Eddie L
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us. After having read your commentaries I would like to share that our experience is based in the yin and yang philosophy. We aim to cater all styles and offer a balanced vacation. Hence during the week we offered a more laid back atmosphere and we focus the high energy to the weekend. I understand by your feedback that we need to work better in informing guests about this activities. I am truly sorry to read you did not enjoy the music in the hotel and found it to be repetitive. We always have international and national guest djs performing in our parties and we play different music styles along the weekend in order to have a varied musical proposal. As for the stomach issues, I would like to share that when traveling to tropical destinations it is common for travelers to have an adjustment period to new weather conditions, alcohol consupmtion, new dietary habits and minerals in water from different regions, I am truly sorry to read this was your case, we would have been pleased to assit you if we had known about this. We apreciate your valuable comments and will defintely share your kudos to our staff´s service. We truly hope you choose to stay again with us, we can share with you in advanced the events being held along the year.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

First timer - my friends and I chose this place because of the beautiful and upscale pictures and reviews that were mixes of 4s and 5s

Overall - My friends and I were super happy about having spent our Bachelorette here at the ME.

**preview conclusion**
We had a wonderful experience and would definitely come back here again. We would prepare in keeping ourselves semi-full to avoid food room service. Also book dinner RSVP in advance. Ask for Eddie (Edgar) Franco, the pool waiter for your food/drink needs outdoors. Tip as you please, and it will go a long way!

**read further if you are interested in the details**

Restaurants -
Breakfast at Salt, was not bad. I loved the homemade chicken tamales (get the green wrapped - as they have more flavor), waffles are delish, and really great pulled pork with some red sauce by the tamales side (hands down, yum)!

Lunch, stayed by the pool and ordered various foods. Hamburger is alright, traditional ceviche was great, chicken quesadillas was surprisingly good. Drinks are a mix of good and bad, stick to the top shelf and your golden. If you want good drink service who caters to your need - ask for Eddie (Edgar Franco) and Brian... Actually a lot of guys were helpful.

Dinner:
BeachHouse Restaurant - was alright. All I cared for was the traditional ceviche!

Silk - The miso soup was alright, the papaya and seaweed salad is good, along with the California rolls. I was not impressed with the beef yakisoba.. But it was sufficient. But my friends on the other hand raved about the beef yakisoba and fried egg rolls.

Salt - better. Had the green mussels, pumpkin scallop soup, and prime rib which looked more like ribeye to me (I like both) -- they were delicious!

**Make sure you book these restaurant as soon as you check in at the hotel at the hotel concierge area. They only book 1 day in advance. This will surely save you the trouble of not being able to see if they can cram you in or not. They will give you a ticket for proof of RSVP. My friends were unaware of the procedure of the way you have to make reservations -- but since I have done an all-inclusive before, I knew it all too well...

Service - How and where should I start?

Room service for cleaning was on point. We had a nice lady who listened to our needs on paper. Maybe tipping helped :) we only gave $5 (we asked a lot..)

Room service for food, forget about it! It took almost 30 mins for a menu that is not in the restaurant. I get your hotel is busy, but really? Just leave a menu book in the room. And secondly, instead of waiting for a menu, I asked for bowl of mixed fruits. I did not care to pay $5 for the fee, but after waiting an hour of no one showing up, it was 2am.. I just ended up putting a do not disturb sign and called it a night. Screw that.

Service by the pools -- AWESOME!! Being nice goes a long way, and in return, you get excellent service. I think it's because the waiters, especially Eddie, helped made ME experience all the worthwhile. This guy works all day, day and night, poor fella. We asked a lot :( from drinks, more drinks, food, and towels. All were taken care of and we tipped him well for his services.

Price - as an all-inclusive, I do feel that we do not get the priority treatment when we go to dinners. But this place was expensive, but since its clean, nice, upscale, and they use Aveda products, I will not complain any further.

In conclusion, we had a wonderful experience and would definitely come back here again. We would prepare in keeping ourselves semi-full to avoid food room service. Also book dinner RSVP in advance. Ask for Eddie the pool waiter for your food/drink needs outdoors. Tip as you please, and it goes a long way!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear sunshinebelinda
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write such a detailed review! We apreciate you spreading the good word about the experience at ME Cancun. I am glad you and your friends has such an enjoyable time and I will defintely will share your comments with Edgar Franco, Brian and the rest of our staff so they keep up the good work. I apreciate you detailed review of our gastronomical proposal, it has been very helpful to our chef. I apreciate as well your input in regards to our room service. I understand how inconvenient it was for you to wait 30 minutes for your service, since meals are cooked as they are ordered to ensure its freshness that is th standard time a meal takes. I am truly sorry the service did not arrive to your room in the agreed time. I will personally follow up on this. I also thank you for sharing with us you did not feel the priority treatment when going to dinners. I apologize for this since our brand promise is based in the personalization of service, I truly aprecite you bringing out attention to this. We look forward to hosting you back again in the future, please let us know whenerver you are coming back to ME.
Lewiston, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Arrived at 1700 on a friday night. Hungry and wanting a cold beer. Was informed all restaurants were closed. (switching to dinner setup). Could not be seated until 10:00 pm. Found a beer at the snack bar. Long wait. I was required to sign for my beer. Never happened at other resorts. So began everytime you order anything snacks, drinks, meals,WAIT! and sign. I do compliment the staff for directing me to another on site restaurant who found us a slot to eat at 7:30. Days at Me. No action. No games or sports. If you want a quiet adult sit around the pool/beach atmosphere this is the place to go. Nights, Thr.-Sun, techno music starts late in the evening and runs until 4:00am. If you are a beach side room above the disco, good luck sleeping. Be ready to tip and tip everyone. I have never felt more pressure to tip. The hotel is set up for all inclusive and upgraded paying costumers. The upgraded customers drive the tipping. If you want an all inclusive without the pressure of tipping don't go here. The pools, when viewing the web site you see 4 outdoor.3 of these pools are restricted to customers who will pay an extra fee.( they were empty most of the time). Below the 3 restricted pools is the exclusive cabana hangout on the beach. For an extra fee you can hang and get great bar service.Food: Great some of the best I've had in Cancun. Be aware, every meal is a sit down dinner except breakfast buffet.Would I go back? No. Is it a very nice place for dinning and subdued atmosphere? Yes. Extra cash,High roller?Yes. All inclusive with no pressure? No. Lastly be aware, no balconies except for add on fee.

Room Tip: If you need to sleep, do not get a room above the disco.
Dear Joe J
I deeply apreciate the time you took to shar your valuable feedback with us. It is always important for us to have an open communication channel with our customers in order to be able to identify possible areas of improvement and act consequently to correct them. I would like to start by apologizing about the situation you experienced upon check in. It is true that we need to switch for dinner set ups, but we always have a restaurant open for service to guests. Our restaurant Beach House is open until 6 for lunch and we simply change the menu for dinner without even closing the restaurant. At that time we also have the e- space available for those guests who are only looking to have a small snack and drinks. I am truly sorry to read you were not informed accordingly and will definetely follow up on this to ensure this does not happen again. As for signing checks I would like to share with you that being a lifestyle resort we offer a series of services to enhance your experience upon an extra charge, hence we request guests to sign checks in order to ensure that anything being charged to their room is actually authorized by them, I am truly sorry to read this was an inconvenient for you and I deeply apologize for that. We only have 3 pools in the property, the main pool which is the biggest and two small ones that are connected, these last are located in the beach club area. Access to the beach club area is complimentary to all guests so that all guests can enjoy the party and our dj performances. It is true that in this area we have bali beds available upon a rental fee or bottle service since they include privileges such as a pool concierge, personalized service of a waiter and a top menu to order food from, however access to the area is granted to all guests and we have cushions and pool built in beds which are available without a charge. The fourth "pool" you might be referring to might be the water ritual of our Yhi Spa. The water ritual of the Yhi Spa is available for guests staying at ME+, but we also have a water ritual in the main pool. I apreciate your commentaries again and we will definteley take them into deep consideration for future action.
San Jose, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Things I liked: The hotel decor, pool, and beach.

Things I did NOT like:

1. Customer service was terrible. For example and just to name a few experiences:

- The first day we arrive we are very hungry and the one and only restaurant that was open at the time of our arrival was in fact closed due to a private event.

- Every time we called for room service, we are told right away "it will take an hour, there is $5 room service fee, would you still like to order"

- We call concierge for a question about laundry service and she said we can bring our laundry down to reception or leave it in the room for pick up. We thought we would save someone a trip and took our laundry down since we were heading down anyway, only to be told "you cant do that!, ...who told you that?,.....you will have to go back to your room and drop off your laundry and someone will pick it up"

- We made a dinner reservation for one of the 2 restaurants (Silk and Salt) that are impossible to get a reservation for and when we arrive we are told that our reservation does not exist. Thankfully they ended up accomodating us but after receiving attitude from them because we couldnt remember the lady's name who took our reservation. The hostess later came to our table and apologized to us.

2. You must make dinner reservations, otherwise you dont get to eat dinner at one of their restaurants and are left with rude room service.

3. Most rooms dont have balconys and only windows.

4. 95% of the time, drinks and food service pool/oceanside takes too long. The only great customer service we received was from Enrique Ibarra and Luis Angel Hernandez (I made sure to remember their names).

5. You have to sign for every single thing you order even though its an all inclusive resort with a bracelet that your forced to wear throughout your vacation.

6. Does not feel like an all inclusive resort because some food, drinks, services, hotel amenities offered are at an additional charge or off limits.

7. The only jacuzzi/hot tub is the one in their Spa and you have to pay extra for that.

We will NOT be staying or recommending the ME to anyone. We've stayed at another resort in Cancun before and I would recommend it (Dreams).

Dear Erika721
I would like to start by thanking you for having taken the time to write a feedback of your most recent stay with us. Comments like your are very important for us because they help ius identify possible areas of imrpovement within the hotel and act consequently. I would also like to add that we would have been pleased to assist you with this reports when you were still in house if we had known about them. I would like to share with you that even when we have private events, we always make sure there is an open choice avalaible for guests, i am sorry to read you were not informed accodingly about this and will make sure we do not incur in this again. When it comes to room service, we do have a 5usd service fee, which is complimentary for ME+ guests, as for the delay in the time of delivery I agree with you in it unacceptable and will definetely look into it with our f&b manager to ensure this does not happen again to you or to any other guest. I would like to apologize for the mishap with your laundry, we apreciate you wanted to save someone a trip and the front desk should have recieved your laundry and not ask you to take it back to your room. I have already located the member of the staff who was not empathetic with you ans the necessary training measures have already been taken. Regarding your dinner reservation which was not found, I am sure you showed the receipt confirming your reservation upon arrival at the restaurant, the one given to you at the time of reserving your dinner. I am truly sorry to read they were unable to locate your reservation even with the document confirming such. I am glad to read they were able to accomodate you as reserved. I understand dinner reservations were an inconvenient for you and regarding this topic I would like to share that we request dinner reservations because we want to ensure our guests experience by having their table ready as soon as they arrive to the restaurant. This does not mean that we do not leave open spaces for walk ins (people without reservatin) of course the most popular times are rapidly taken and guests without reservation are accomodated in the restaurants whre we have available seats, hence we recommend making dinner reservations. We truly hope you were not too inconvenienced. As for signing checks, being a lifestyle resort we have services available to enhance guests experience upon an extra charge, hence guests are requested to sign checks in order to ensure that anything charged to their room is actually authorized by them. I truly hope you were not too inconvenieced. I understand we are not the type of hotel that suits your style of vacationing and we will be glad to shar with you other choices within our premium brand portofolio.

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!