“AMAZING!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clinton Township, Michigan
“AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I can relate to some of the negative reviews about having to pay for a bed by the adult pool, no hot tubs, not everything is all inclusive. With that being said, they treat you like royalty, everyone is very gracious, the food is amazing!!!! The manager stopped to talk to us to make sure we were having a good time and we raved about Carlos, he is an outstanding waiter!! We were never without a drink, even when he had to bring us our drinks on the beach! Definately watch out for the guys who claim they want to help you make your reservations for dinner and give you coupons, etc, we knew better from reading the reviews on tripadvisor that they were time share people. If you are looking for entertainment, this is not the resort for you, I was fine with no entertainment, that's not my thing so this place was perfect for us. Definately a couples resort, again that was more than fine with us. If we ever come back with the kids, it won't be here because they do not have activities for the kids. I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Away from the elevators
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Korean first
Mijas, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

No long blabla. Just some facts. Upon arrival at reception service was efficient and friendly. I had asked for a smoking room and I was given one on the 9th floor. Luxury ocean view. As I got of the lift on the 9th I already smelt a penetrating humidity stink. And as I walked into my room (which was lovely by the way!!) the smell had gotten worse. I was not about to stay there. I went straight downstairs to reception and asked them to find me somehting else. As I wanted a smoking room, pickings were slim but without a problem I was given a free upgrade to a junior suite of the level (11th floor). I was impressed! My first free upgrade ever!

The suite was nice, but the bathroom of my original room was actually nicer! The great thing about staying on the 10th and 11th Level floors is that you have your own reception on the 10th which makes life a lot easier. Especially since every time housekeeping had been my card key wouldn't work. After 2 consecutive days of this happening the receptionist (who is gorgeous with the most beautiful teeth I have ever seen) called maintenance and the problem was fixed and did not reoccur.

The whole of the resort is beautiful and clean as you can see on all the photos. It is funky and designy and pretty.

The only thing that dissappointed me was the food. Silk in the evening is okay. But at the day restaurants I found the menu bad and limited and the quality below average and expectance. And I was on an all-inclusive so you really want to be able to eat at your resort.

The service was fantastic though, nothing was too much and everyone was very friendly. I had the most relaxing facial at the spa which was well worth the bucks!!

I would go here again.

Room Tip: As always, the higher the better. Don't pay more for an ocean view. You see the ocean all day an...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

This is a nicely designed hotel but it drives me nuts when you get to an all inclusive hotel and then they try and suck more money out of you!! They don't have a great deal of shady spots by the pool and the only ones they do have cost $40 USD per day!! Mind you, it's not busy at all this week and NO ONE is using the paid chairs. I even asked if we could pay for an hour as my fiance is very fair skinned and they said no, but they did offer for him to sit by a tree away from me in the middle of the sidewalk....no thanks! And then they say you can go in the members club pool (an infinity pool) but you can't use the chairs (unless of course you pay!) They tell you when you check-in that there is access to the Beach Club as part of the all
inclusive but when we went in there after 20 mins, the guy says you have to pay. He points to the chairs on the beach and says these are the free Beach Club ones (you mean the ones that anyone on the beach can walk up and use?!).

It's just so annoying to pay money and then they want more and more for what should be included!

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Eight of us just got back from 4 days at the ME Cancun. Booking was easy online, although I called down to the hotel before booking for clarify some items that were not clear. We wanted to know what constituted upgraded beverages and was included in the level. We spoke with Freddy, the concierge and he is wonderful. More on him later.

We arrived and all of us had upgrades that we had purchased in advance. All had it in the system with the exception of my husband and myself, so we had to show our print out to prove that we had paid for it and at what cost. We upgraded from a lagoon view to an oceanview. They were trying to tell us that the upgrade was double what we paid. Our room was not ready and it took us almost 3 hours to be assigned a room after being told we were going to have three others previously. Our first day was blown at the beach and pool by misinformation from the front desk. Go down the list ask the same question and you will get a different answer every time. We changed in a friends room and decided to go to the BeachHouse to get a late lunch. We got there and Julio our server was great. I went to Freddy and asked him to help us with dinner reservations on property and securing a room. I don’t think without him the trip would have been as smooth as it was.

The Pro’s: The property is really nice. The rooms are quite comfortable and the robes and slippers are a nice touch. I love Aveda products so I was happy they were in the room. Most of the servers by the pool and beach were fantastic and we had some great ones during our stay. Thank you Eric, Nadal, Javier, Julio, and Danny. The food at the Beach House was consistently very good—we ate there twice. The food at breakfast was delicious with lots of offerings. Everyone raved about the crepes, pancakes, and omelets/eggs, smoothies to order. On the last day the mimosas were made with Moet (score!!!). We were all celebrating birthdays and Freddy had truffles and sparkling wine sent to the rooms one night which was quite nice and fun.

The Cons: The wash cloths and towels are like exfoliants. They are seriously harsh. The amenities are hit or miss in and on the mini bar. Most days we all compared what we got or did not get. If you want anything that you should have but didn’t, they will try to charge you a room service fee to bring it to you. We could never get complete clarity on what we should have daily. Some nights you got turn down service and others not at all. Again, Freddy helped us with this. You really don’t know what classifies as an included drink so you really have to ask. The restaurants reservationists make dining difficult. The woman told us that a party of 8 for dinner at Salt and Silk would not happen since it is so romantic and for tables of two. Do not believe this. Freddy made this happen for us and we saw large parties there when we were there as well. The oceanfront/oceanview rooms are nice to look out over, but beware at night. On Saturday, the club went until 4am and we were all so tired the next day from not sleeping from it being so loud. Friday it was loud, but stopped earlier. I think the lagoon side would be quieter.

Restaurants: The Grill had horrible food and nightmarish service. The salad bar, although limited, was quite tasty. We ate at Salt twice for dinner. The first night it was good (although do NOT order the mussels or cheese fondue like thingy). Definitely ask for descriptions to not be disappointed with the preparation. The lack of lamb is really well cooked leg of lamb and the veal is also well done. The prime rib is a ½” rib cut but not what you are used to. The second time around was quite disappointing since most things were over cooked and not of good quality which was sad considering it was yummy two days prior. We ate at Silk and we all hated it. The sushi was not good, and they did not give us an option, but rather told us we would eat family style and selected a menu for us. Big mistake. They also tried to get us to do this on the second meal at Salt, but by then we knew better. No one was eating tepanyaki style when we were there and we thought that is what we were reserving for. The second go around at Salt we saw a table of 9 eating tepanyaki style and we were none too pleased to see this. Also, at Silk and the second night at Salt the waiters padded our bills with items we did not order and said not to worry about it. The problem with this is you tip on an inflated amount.

Service and tipping: We are all very generous tippers; however we did get annoyed after seeing over inflated no charge checks and being told don’t worry about it. If you go with a large group of have more than one room, make sure you ask for separate bills when we sit down and before ordering. You’ll still be overcharged (no charged), but it will be easier to see. You do have to sign for everything, although at the pool or beach as to keep your check open for ease.

Traveling has taught me to ask for bills a day before check out to avoid the contested delayed check out. We all did and found that there were charges that were not ours which we contested. I’m sure most of them were honest mistakes, although one was glaring (the Rose Bar) as they alleged my friend brought in outside people and bought them drinks (false). It was a lot of work for an easy all inclusive. Ask lots of questions and know what you’re getting in to. The beach was very windy Dec 1-4 when we were there and we therefore were not allowed umbrellas by the beach or pool for protection from the sun.

Room Tip: Stay lagoon side it you prefer it quiet when you sleep before midnight. Bring your paperwork with y...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
windsor, ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I had a great 4 night 5 day trip. We stayed in a Loft suite on the 8th floor with amazing views..Pay the extra money for the Level experence because it is well worth it. The food and service were great. Rent a bali bed when they have special events by the adult pool you will appreciate the service. The level manager was excellent and she made all of our requirements as needed. Book all of your restaurant, spa,reservations, ect..through the level concierge when you arrive at check in. This will make your stay there more relaxing knowing you have a plan for the week. We did the barefoot dinner and it was a great experience.. highly recommended. Plan a couple of hours at the spa, go around 4:00pm to enjoy the facilities before a message. well worth it.. Rose bar at night was fun, they played modern music which was a plus... but keep in mind if your are going to bed early to pack some ear plugs because the noise level from the DJ is on until 3:00am on special events... Overall my wife and I enjoyed our experience at ME and would recommend this resort to all...

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Level suites.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The location of the hotel is close enough to all you need, the main shopping centre is only about 300 metres up the road and close to the night club area if you want to go there to but you will need a bus.
The hotel food is amazing best of all Salt and Silk. The service supplied at these two were in line with chef hatted restaraunts.

During our stay we did hear alot of people complaining about pathetic things including wanting a table ahead of others. Seriously some people are so full of there own importance. The staff handled these people so very professionaly and I was impressed.

We have travelled most of the world and can say that this place is going to provide you a good holiday and dont forget its not the highest star raiting available.

Room Tip: Get one with a beach view!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

The Good

All restaurants had great service and good food.

Silk- Sushi Place. Least Favorite was Silk and from other reviews I thought this place would be good and looked forward to it, Really good fried rice and my tuna and salmon was good but I later learned from a local to never order any meat that is Mexican, you should ask first. My wife ordered steak and the chef pulled meat out of a bag with red dye or something, it looked so gross. The lady next to me said her fish was disgusting and smelled, but mine was fine. Sushi rolls were just barely ok, I ordered Unagi roll and received a california roll instead, only flaw in the service here or at any restaurant. We never went back to Silk.

BeachHouse- Mexican Food- This place is the best, We had lunch here often, get the Fish tacos or the flank steak quesadilla or wrap is also good. Dinner was super good as well, I had shrimp entree and tomato soup. Great service from waiters always.

Salt- Really good service again. Food was good, had the Veal and a cheese fondue. Veal was just ok, kinda Stew like meat.

Buffet- Breakfast was really good, Good service as well, coffee here is really good and great service again. Good selection and would change slightly daily, Chilequiles were awsesome everyday fave was the mole chilequilles and I liked the juice lady, she made me Agua de Sandia, Watermelon water with a lil sugar, so good. She would make you anything from smoothies to juice.

Beach- Great beach here to hang out, it gets busy so you learn to put your towels out in the morning if you want an ocean front spot. Otherwise, if you see no chairs just ask the little beach guy. he will pull chairs from somewhere and even an umbrella.

Rooms- We used Amex travel to book (expedia) and got a room upgrade. We purchased oceanfront deluxe and were bumped to Lagoon Suite room 1101 "The Level" Nice room, real nice bed. We were able to check in on the 10th floor concierge and were given a bunch of extras including a free 500 ml bottle of booze, romantic dinner on the beach (great food and service), free room service (very fast and pasta was super) etc. Had an issue where the AC would never turn off, it took a few days to realize and once we called maintenance, they guy showed in 3 minutes and fixed the AC by redoing the wires in the AC controller, didn't take long and done and left. One minute later my wife turned on the hairdryer and blew a fuse, everything shut off. Called the guy back, took a minute and we learned where the fuse box was and he fixed. the fuse went off once more but I fixed myself. Great service.

The Bad

Main Beach service was ridiculously understaffed by management, the beach was packed with guests for weddings going on for 11/11/11,1 guy until 1pm then 2 guys were present. Getting a drink took minimum 30 minutes and other times they would forget to bring half of the order or would simply forget. The signing for everything did not help this matter.

After the 3rd day of this nonsense, I stopped using the beach service and would walk up to the bars to get my own drinks. The bartender at the Beach house was a real jerk, after he ignored me and helped others before me, I asked for 2 cans of beer and 2 waters. He said I could only order 2 drinks, but he said would give me 2 beers and 1 water, he gave me 1 water yet I had signed for all the drinks, he just ignored me and I left. That was the last time going to that bar, there is another by the hookah bar by the pool, no issues there and were friendly.

Pool BBQ

This place closed when it rained, it was nice because you could grab a burger, fries, or wings and head to the beach. As they were closing they said they would reopen in the buffet section. No big deal, got some food and went to beach. Next day, same thing, I grabbed a plate of wings at buffet and went to beach. Same day, my wife then wanted some pasta from the buffet. They took her plate away and said no she couldn't take to the beach. My wife was very upset and ruined her day at the beach, she was starving now and went to go to the room to order room service, she walks back to the beach in 10 minutes with a beach waiter carrying her dried up plate of pasta to our umbrella. It looked gross, so she went back to the room and ordered room service upset and hungrier, by this time we are completely confused, ME gave no explanation of what had just happened.

The Bars at night

Hookah bar was packed and had one waiter every night, understaffed again. It's a great bar, open air, would have been great to have service.

Rose bar- Went here for the pacquiao fight Saturday night, the place was packed, it took 25 minutes to get a beer here. Poor service and bartenders acted like I was interrupting the bartenders fight, they love boxing in Mexico. I was glad pacuiao won the fight.

Came here Sunday night for NFL and there were lots of bartenders but no servers, had to walk up to bar every time, cool bar but not very relaxing. Then, went here Monday night to watch NFL and had great service, but I had tipped the guy heavily all night.

Beforehand, I had friended the GM at ME on Facebook, Raul Petraglia. I sent him an IM from facebook, I let him know of the issues I saw at the beach and hookah bar and that I was very disappointed with some of the service on Sunday night and that I had finally had enough of this so called "all-inclusive resort"

Apparently, Raul was traveling on business and didn't see my IM until Tuesday 10 am, my last day. But he took action right away and management even sent a "Dept manager" to find me on the beach and inquire of the issues and I let her know. Sandra the Hotel Mgr then contacted me and offered and extra late check out which was nice, 230pm. I sat down with her and explained all of the above. She said that they were understaffed because of the off season and they didn't plan for all of the 11/11/11 guests very well. They are also working on getting rid of the "signing" for everything program, but cannot because of some contract issues. She was very apologetic and nice. She gave us a 1 night complimentary stay with an upgrade promise if we return.

I have only been to Cancun once before and stayed at a Palace Resort, Palace was awesome and had zero issues. Maybe ME will be like them one day. Will I be back? Don't know, maybe I will stay here a few days and then next door at the Beach palace.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!