“Excellent All-Inclusive Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
White Plains, New York
“Excellent All-Inclusive Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Had a great time at the ME Cancun. The hotel is centrally located and a short cab (maybe $2-3US) ride from all of the clubs and bars in Cancun. The hotel is very clean and the staff were very nice. There is also free wi-fi throughout the hotel - nice touch if you wanted to stay connected. The general pool with swim up bar and the adult infinity pools were great place to spend the day. All and all - this all inclusive hotel was a great value for my dollar.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Watching the sunrise and sunset from the Ocean side room was great!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
Dear djhenryhall
I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your commentaries! I am glad you enjoyed the experience with us and look forward to you visiting us back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Korean first
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My husband and I chose ME Cancun to celebrate our 8 year anniversary. I read all the reviews, so I was preparing myself for some negative stuff, but I can honestly tell you that from the time of arrival from the check out time, we were impressed! Lets start w/ the staff, from the time we arrived, every time they adddressed you they put their right hand on their heart, as to say they are helping from their heart (I thought it was very sweet gesture). Jessica checked us in, Thank you!
The resort is beautiful, contemporary, clean w/ a sexy look to it. The food was amazing, and although you have to make reservations for the restaurants, if you miss out on making RSVP's, they can always fit you in to eat at an International dinner buffet. Even though some of the reviews mentioned it is a pain in the @*s to make reservations for restaurants, i think its a great way for the resort to be able to plan for food consumption, waitstaff, service etc. I have been to 5 star resorts where you don't have to make RSVP's but most of the times, there are restaurants that are closed.
The other thing that was mentioned in reviews that I was kind of weary of, was the infamous 'all inclusive bracelet', if you loose it, you will have to pay $150/pp per night, but not to worry, they clamp down the bracelet WITH PLYERS, so unless you break it on purpose, it wont just fall off (I asked the staff how often has it happened where someone looses it, they assured me, never just lost it, they must apply force to take it off on purpose).
Breakfast buffet was amazing! Omelets, egg chef station, pancake chef station! and all kinds of healthy fruits, yogurts, cereals, beef, potatoes etc. Thank you Julio & Victor for serving us during our breakfast! Always w/ a smile on your face :)
Beach House restaurant (by the pool) had some great ceviche and Beef Alambre, guacamole, Yummy! My husband left his cell phone there one of the "tipsy" times we ate after the pool and the server called his supervisor immediately and they called our room! I was very impressed. Thank you!
Salt (Mediterranean food) and Silk (Japanese/sushi) were dressier, food DELICIOUS! Not one bad thing that I can say about the food and the service.
We stayed in room #353 w/ an ok view, at first the room stunk like smoke but as soon as I called, they had someone come in to fix it, No problem :)
The adult pool was BEYOND Relaxing and beautiful (the infinity pool has an amazing view). You have to rent cabanas/beds, one will be for bottle consumption but if you ask, the waitstaff can accommodate a couple of plush pillows by the pool and you can leave your stuff there w/out having to rent any of these, and relax, the drinks will keep on coming!!! Thank you Gustavo @ the Adult pool for taking great care of us!
I will absolutely come back to this resort, Keep up the great job guys. I will refer you and rave about you to everyone I know!
Victor & Vanessa Silva
Stayed 9/7 - 9/13 Room #353

Room Tip: Always ask for free upgrades :)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear MrsSilva22,
It is great to read such nice reviews as yours, it is really encouraging to keep up the good work! Thank you very much for pointing out possible areas of improvement and for sharing your review to toher travelers.I will be sharing your comments with Jessica, Julio and Victor in regards to their service. Thank you for recognizing our employees. We hope to have you back again in the near future.
Tarpon Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I took a long weekend with a friend to celebrate my birthday, I purchased 3 nights from a website, found out it was all inclusive and decided to upgrade when we arrived. I was charged an extra $750 for the upgrade and since it was my birthday, I thought the convenience was worth it, I was wrong. We were 30 minutes early for the 3pm check in time, we were told the room is not ready until 3pm, then taken to register for what turned out to be timeshare sales pitch. Starving and tired, we finally got our room keys after waiting in line again forever. The no- pressure sales pitch turned out to be very long and stressful, it took 3 salesmen, taking turns to try to convince me to buy.Food was a disappointment, service was horrible, if you want better food like steak, you order from a separate menu and pay extra for it. (Wilfredo), a waiter argued with me after delivering the wrong menu item I did not order, you sign for everything, need a card to get beach towels, pay extra for cabana, though it's all inclusive.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less corridor noise. If you're searching for relaxation at a resort, go some...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Phil A,
Thank you very much for having taken part of your valuable time to share your commentaries with us and with other travelers and for pointing out possible areas of imporvement within the hotel. I would like to start by saying I am truly sorry to read you were not satisfied with our service I can assure you your commentaries will be given the outmost importance in order to ensure we imporve our services. I would like to start by saying I am truly sorry to read your room wasnt ready at the time you arrived, we always try to accomodate our guests the best however sometimes high occupancies wont allow us to have rooms ready at all times as we wished we could. Anyhow I am sure our staff made you feel welcome by holding your bags in our storage so you could start enjoying the hotel. When it comes to the time share presentation I would like to let you know that we pride ourselves to have great opportunities to become a member however we always respect our guests wishes to buy or not. I am truly sorry to read you felt pressured and I will most definetely follow up on this to ensure our Melia Club staff does offer services without pressuring guests.
When it comes to food and I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations. I have already shared your commentaries to our executive chef so he can work on improving this area.
In regards to the situation with our waiter WIlfredo you can rest assured that the necessary corrective measures will be taken and that training and coahing are a very important part of our staff forming in order to ensure this does not happen to you or to any other guest in the future. we truly hope to have you back again in the future to prove that our main comittment is with your sstisfaction and that you will be pleased with our service.
rio de janeiro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The hotel is beautiful, modern decoration, but poor, poor service. The restaurants have bad food, some of the staff are not polite. They treat you like you were not invited to be there. I didn´t like it. And even being a beautiful hotel, I don´t want to stay there again when I come back to Cancun! I am sure!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear sicarolina
I am truly sorry to read that your experience with us was not a satisfactory one. I wish we had known this while you were here in order to be able to correct your service and gain you back as a customer. Thank you for pointing us out our areas of improvement, I can assure you I will personally follow up and pay more attention to the details you mentioned in order to take the necessary corrective measures. I will be working with our HR department to ensure our staff is properly trained and coached to improve the service your received and hopefully in the future you choose to come back to us so we can prove that our staff will work diligently for your satisfaction.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Ok, I am 27, my wife is 31. Youngsters looking for a goodtime.

We read dozens and dozens of reviews of this place so we knew what others had to say and we took that info with what to expect.

We stayed 04/09/11 to 11/09/11. Had the Lagoon Facing room, we asked for upgrade and they offered us $30 a night for waterfront so $210 US for the whole week. Not a bad deal, since our booking price at the travel agent would have been 300/person to book the waterfront room extra.

So if you want an oceanview, book the cheap lagoon room, and upgrade at resort.

We didnt do any orientations because they are all timeshare or "the level" speeches. Not interested in wasting our time.

Our trip was with Air transat and we got a free shuttle from Airport to Hotel and back... After you get your luggage and go past that customs check point.... ignore everyone you see and dont make small talk with anyone unless you see your company travel logo on their clothes. thats a tip!

Cancun Tip:
Buses are 8.5 pesos, I suggest always giving them 10 pesos and you get change back... if you give them 1 US dollar, that is over 11 pesos and you do not get change back!!

Taxi's. If you must use them, do NOT get the valet to call one, walk down your driveway, and wave a cab that is DRIVING.. not waiting by the entrance. I probably saved you 10-15 US per cab ride. Some taxis are contracted to wait there for the hotel but then they charge like a minimum 20+ US for small trips.
Ok now check-in.

it was quick, no BS, and when they asked for a Credit card for deposit, we politely declined. ( i have a pro and con sheet about this further down)
got our room keys and went upstairs.
they give you a sheet of paper and you sign the bottom of another copy to state how many towel cards and bracelets you must return. the sheet also says if you do not return the bracelets they charge you $150 and $30 each for towel cards. this sheet of paper also shows what is included in your stay. " the complete Me package"

The room was very nice and clean, welcome stuff on the bed and mini chocolates. The minibar was not cold, it looks like a little fridge, and when I called to complain it wasnt cold, they gave me the line " its not a fridge, but keeps the stuff fresh" I dealt with it, and just used the ice machine with my little bucket and put the minibar item to cool before I used it.
The minibar has stickers on each item. The Green items are free, yellow gets a charge, the charges are listed in the welcome booklet that has room service and phone numbers listed.

you can phone a number and make dinner reservations for Salt, Silk, and WaterGrill. Or go to the main hallway near Salt/Silk and a computer desk girl will make your dinner reservations for the same day or the following day. and she prints you out a receipt.

FOOD

Minibar - Only things that are free are 2 coronas, 2 waters, 3 cans of Pop. None are cold.

Room service - (Costs $5 per person) A decent selection of food, we always ordered 3-4 meals, 4 water bottles, and 2-3 drinks, and 2 desserts per order. No complains and everything was fresh... it takes 30 mins to an hour sometimes. We can never have enough bottled water and this service made the lack of water in the minibar that much better.

Silk - I was excited to eat here because of the sushi and being from Vancouver, I know decent sushi. but the food wasnt good for the most part, and was dissapointed with the sashimi and the scarce meat in the rolls. We only ate here Once.

Salt - We loved this place. If you love Lamb, you have to order it. the pumpkin soup is amazing aswell. desserts were just a small sampling of 5 items. Great service and presentation.

WaterGrill - if you ever eaten at a Brazilian restraurant its the exact same. I wouldnt suggest ordering any Steaks (that are extra in price) because the amount of meat and tenderloin that comes for free is amazing. Dont fill up on the salad bar, just wait for the turn by turn meat carving. Chicken, Bacon wrapped turkey, pork, ribs, short ribs, tenderloin.... No A/C here, its beach front so make late reservations!!!

BeachHouse - Had lunch here, the food is fresh and good. but no A/C and hot in the day time. Chips and Salsa! Mmmmm. Good Clear chicken soup.

E-Space Cafe - Coffee tea drinks, small selection of salads and mini-sandwiches.. also desserts. Make sure you understand what the salad topping is... my wife thought she heard Lamb, and she got SLUGS.... Yeah.

Pool Side Snacks - Chicken Burgers, Hamburgers, Wings, fries, Hotdogs, with decent selection of toppings. I did notice the server used the same tongs for all the food. He grabbed Raw chicken, raw beef patties and put them on the grill, then flipped cooked food with same tongs, and used the same tongs for all of these items too: cheese, buns, hotdogs, fries, wings, cooked chicken, beef, salad.. all with same tongs. no station to wash them or anything. so you have been warned. I ate it and didnt get sick there.

INTERNET

Free Wifi in 90% range of the hotel, which is good for checking emails, texting apps on your phone, and surfing the internet. NB if you have an Iphone, and your surfing a site, the connection shows its working but the iphone popup says no active internet connection, just turn off and on your wifi and it works again. The internet cafe says open till midnight, but i have used it at anytime of the night. it has 2mb download speeds and i even streamed a local TV show that i missed during my flight. bring headphones! NB if you upload pics and erase them, please empty the recycling bin, I saw some fun looking photos in there before I erased mine ;)

POOL and BEACH
the seaweed gets cleaned off our beach everyday. Very clean, cool sand. Beautiful beach! The pool is a bit warm, but the centre of the pool they have waterfall thingy and a water sprayer that feels like a massage:) I love the water chairs, great for tanning.

CURRENCY
we are from Canada, and our dollar is a tad higher than US. but the exchange rates do not show....
US was 11.40 and Canada was 11.40 the day we arrived, then the day we left it was 11.80 and 11.50 but still the whole time our dollar was greater.
They said they need your passport everytime you change currency to peso from US or CDN, but about 4 times my drivers license was adequate. then the last time, he was adamant my drivers license wasnt good enough, and made me go up, get my passport out of my safe, go back down, change the money, then i had to go back up and return my passport to my safe, and then go on my tour... its a real hassle when all the staff doesnt follow the same rules.

TIPPING
you can only order 2 drinks per order if your room has 2 people in it... Every time you order food or drinks, it comes on a receipt. Everyone who is all inclusive has a string bracelet, but signing and giving your room is always required. They do this, to increase the tipping ratio i suppose. They claim if you dont have a credit card on file, the tips you write on the receipt doesnt get fufilled, and the server will not get it. but at checkout, the tips show up with all the receipts you signed them for, so tip either way, and tell them otherwise. aslong as you intent to pay for them when you checkout its all good.

The House Keeping and MiniBar refilling is two different people. and they both come at weird hours. I suggest 20-50 pesos a day for house keeping, and 10 pesos in the minibar and it will be filled daily.

CHECKING OUT:
A pretty simple process for us, they cut off our bracelets, we couldnt keep them for souvenirs, returned the towel cards, and they printed off the tips we left and we paid for most of them, and disputed others. they showed receipts that clearly didnt have our name or signature on them, but room number matched.. go figure. So if you have a credit card on File, double/ triple / quadruple check all the tipping charges. I cant stress this enough.

Credit Card Pro's / Cons
PRO - You can tip freely
PRO - You can use your room phone to make calls local or international

CON - They Charge about 15,000 pesos ( yes charge not pre-auth )
CON - Strangers can add tips to your room
CON - It takes up room for any emergencies or spending you might have/need to do
CON - I didnt do it for reason, and Im happy I didnt give it to them
CON - After checkout you have to fight any wrong charges, and then the balance gets refunded... like I said, they charge you 15,000 pesos and refund you what you didnt spend from that balance.

We would stay here again knowing all that we know:)

Room Tip: Away from elevator, Higher floor, Oceanview.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear VancityEvo
Thank you very much for having written such a detailed review for other travelers to read. I would just like to share with you the credit card is only requested as a gurante upon check in and the amount authorized ( not charged) depends on the number of days you stay at the resort. This is only a 100usd per day as a guarantee. Upon check out we only charge what you actually spend to your card or to any other card. Thank you again for pointing our possible areas of improvement and We look forward to having you back to the resort!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Back to cancun after 2 weeks and what a change from the last hotel, This place is fantastic!!
Lets start by saying the location is great close to all and the rooms are big and extremely clean. As far as service it was ok by the pool but on the beach is was sub par. There were times when we ordered drinks and the waiter never came back. Small thing, but sometimes this can get you a little upset. The food was great with the exception of the steak grill, the food was awful there none of us ate dinner that night. I recommend the sushi the staff was great and the drinks were also great.
I highly recommend this resort for adults not to kid friendly but overall a great experience.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Bcolon,
Thank you for having shared your experience!! I apreciate that you point out possible areas of improvement, I can assure you I have shared your comments with our executive chef in regards with the food at Watergrill and I will be closely working with HR in regards to the service you receved from our wait staff. I hope you choose to stay with us in the future to prove we can exceed your expectations and that you will be pleased with our service.
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed last February for our anniversary. The hotel and the grounds are very nice. The food and the restaurants are good, but the staff can be a little busy at times. Its a bit confusing on if you are or aren't supposed to tip which makes its a little awkward. The timeshare people did get us for the sales pitch but were very nice. Most the staff was very nice minus the front desk people. The pool is weird because you have to pay for the good seats and service. Overall Me was a good place to say and we would love to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Kperci,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!. I would like to share wth you that tips are included in your complete me package; however when a guest considers they have received great service they can feel free to leave a tip. When it comes to Day beds and lounge chairs at the main pool and Chill Out Zone, these are first come first serve and complimentary for all our guests to enjoy de caribbean weather. You can also choose to reserve Bali Beds at the main pool directly with our pool concierge and recieve services to enhance your experience such as personalized assistance and waiter service upon a rental fee or choose the top experience at The Beach Club! Featuring an infinity pool and live international guest and resident dj performances every weekend. All bali and day beds at the beach club include personalized assitance of the pool concierge, waiter, and a Caribbean and Grill top menu to die for. While generally there is no cover, a rental fee or bottle service applies for those looking for the most privileged locations right in front of the pool, ocean front or the closest to the dj beat!
We truly hope to have you back again in the future !

Been to ME Cancun? Share your experiences!