What a frustrating and disappointing resort. I normally dismiss reviews with excessive complaining as people who just can't be pleased, but in this case, they are pretty valid. Our family can make the best out of just about any situation, and It doesn't take a lot to please us, so it's hard to write this...
-As mentioned by others, there is a ton of maintenance issues at the resort. Roof leaks, broken lounge chairs, slippery stairs and floors, the outside looks worn and decayed and just general disrepair everywhere. As it rained for 3.5 days while we were there, the issues were very noticeable.
-Food: Basically all the specialty theme restaurants are awful. The only one that is really good is the Mexican one but it's only open for 5 hours a day from 1 to 6. Ridiculous! The main central buffet area is just about as bad. You can find good food there but it's not easy. Basically, stick to the Mexican food, fruit and you might get lucky in other areas. At lunch, there is only one small outdoor BBQ / fry counter they try to serve the entire resort from. It's chaos.
- Kids club: Our kids are 8 and 10 and they hated it. There was nothing for them to do other than play in the pirate ship, which is fine for kids half their age. We only forced them to go twice, for about 3 hours because of it. Staff are nice but very little activities are organized for the kids. The strangest part is they won't feed the kids lunch. You have to go get them, feed them and bring them back. Makes even less sense since there is a perfect spot they can all have lunch right beside/above the club. The club is on the very far side of the resort, which is a llooooong way from everywhere. There were very few kids in the club at any given time which suggests most kids felt the same way.
Bottom line is if you are bringing your kids, YOU will be keeping them entertained.
- The centre hallway feels like a mausoleum, partly because of how dark they keep it and partly because of the depressing music being played all day. On rainy days this is especially noticeable as guests were all walking around like zombies. At night the noise from the hallway is really bad. You hear everything in your room because of the echo. Staff yelling, whistling, door slams.. one night an entire cart of dishes was dropped and smashed, and it sounded like the glass roof had collapsed! We then got to hear about 15 minutes of dishes being cleaned up like nails on a chalkboard.
- Rooms: smell musty. Beds are rock hard. Closets in the family rooms are inside the bathroom. Our room faced south, which overlooked the Iberostar hotel next door. Fine, except that their mechanical equipment is all on that side, so if we opened our balcony door a crack we heard roaring exhaust fans 24/7.
- Overcrowded. The place was packed to the rafters and the logistics of the resort really can't handle it. The restaurants don't have enough seating, there aren't enough deck chairs at the pool or the beach and there just isn't enough room in the common areas overall to handle a full resort. The property is quite narrow so the beachfront is the same. Check out was a mob scene.
- Staff: overall, most of the staff are really good and genuinely helpful. The bartenders were great and helped make things much more enjoyable (what they were serving sure helped too!). The problem with the service is a combination of being understaffed or just poorly trained and organized.
All in all, you can make a vacation out of going here, but don't set your expectations very high. Make sure you are paying a price that reflects a pretty no frills experience. And cross your fingers you get good weather which can minimize what you need the resort to provide you.
Pick the North side. Rooms on the south side face the Iberostar's mechanical area which features...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for sharing with us your feedback of your recent stay at the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa. It’s a shame that you rate your stay as frustrating due to our intention for all us who we work here at the Great Parnassus is provide you a pleasanat and relaxing vacation.
The rainiy days and bad weather that we had these past days in Cancun were unexpected, however, we are conscious that this shouldn’t have consequences is our facilities, we will work on it.
We appreciate your kind comments fro our hard working staff and we’re glad to know that they could make your stay some better. Do not hesitate to come back to the Great Parnassus and let us present you our improvements.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.