“wouldn't go back, even if they paid me!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Great Parnassus Resort and Spa

You added Great Parnassus Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Great Parnassus Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 16.9 Lote 52-04 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #66 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Vancouver, Canada
“wouldn't go back, even if they paid me!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent 5 days from Feb 9-16, 2013. Our room was ready upon arrival so this was great. The configuration of the room is very practical for families of 5, however the rooms are in need of a make over, especially the bathrooms (showers and sinks not well maintained). When we arrived to our room, we noticed a sewage smell coming from the bathroom. We thought it would go away, but the smell got so bad that we asked for a room change on our second day. Beds are extremely hard and very uncomfortable... I had terrible back pain just after my third night. Food was mediocre, especially in the a la carte restaurants... service was extremely slow as well. To get good and healthy food we actually had to leave the hotel perimesis... Food in the kids area is just as bad...hamburgers, hot dogs and fries.

I didn't like the location nor the construction of the hotel. It seemed that we were all piled up one on top of each other (in restaurants, pool area and beach area). There are no green space, no palm trees, very little shade, and not enough palapas on the beach for the amount of hotel guests. There was also no way to escape the noise of the loud music and strong voices from the animation team speaking on the mic from 10am to about 5pm. Before my trip, I was dreaming of reading a book under a palm tree while listening to nice/relaxing salsa or bachata music or simply listening to the sound of the waves... this did not happen.

The color of the ocean is exceptional, however the beach is a little dirty, with cigarettes butts, plastic glasses & straws lying around. The waves were very strong and impossible for kids to swim in... it was dangerous for adults as well, even for good/experimented swimmers.

This hotel really disapointed me. The best part of my trip? The Indian restaurant located in the Isla mall nearby. Worst part of my trip? locals trying to rip the foreigners off, even me being fluent in Spanish.

Room Tip: Get a room as close to the ocean as possible, and as far away from the ice machines!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Powell, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent Feb 9 2013 to Feb 16 2013 at the Great Parnassas Cancun. We had a wonderful time. The beach and pools are beautiful, the rooms are very clean. The beach front is one of the nicest in Cancun.The food was excellent. The staff work very hard and are genuinely concerned that the guests have a great vacation. I like that the specialty restaurants do not require reservations. For the price my vacation was a steal !

Room Tip: odd number rooms have the best view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Morrilton, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our first family trip out of USA to an All-Inclusive. Let's just say "there are many places in the states yet to be seen before we'd go back to Great Parnassus." The food at majority of the restaurants was horrible. We were able to find decent offersings at breakfast, but then spent more money and went off resort in the evenings for dinner. 24 hr room service was horrible...that is if it showed up. At least 3 times we ordered room service and NEVER received it. The smell in the atrium area was bad...most likely from the bad food. Rooms were not the cleanest. We even checked into an early departure, however, the airline change fees were too much for us to be able to leave. That's how desparate we were. The only positive thing I can say about our trip was the beach...how do you screw that up right? And our off-resort excursions. I would not receommend this resort to anyone, regardless of budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alberton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent 5 days here feb 4-9, 2013. We arrived to a very nice lobby area and our room was ready at 1:30. We quickly took to our room and were a little dissapointed with the view of the power plant between this hotel and the neighbouring Iberostar. We could get a glimpse of the water. The room was large but the beds were harder then the tile floor. The pools and the beach were the saving factor in this hotel plus the roof top tennis courts. The food is mediocre. Would i stay again? For the price yes, but if you can afford something better then do so.

Room Tip: We had a family room with bunks. The king size bed we had was the hardest bed i've ever slept o...
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked my trip to Great Parnassus back in November and we just returned from a week from Feb 10-17. If your anything like me I spent a lot of time reading the reviews on trip advisor in anticipation of the trip. As the days got closer i was nervous by all the bad reviews and tried to reassure myself that it was going to be fine. My wife and I spent 7 days at GP with my 4 and 2 year old children. It was our first trip together as a family however my wife and I have been to all inclusives in cancun in the past as a couple. We travelled with another couple who had a 5 y/o child as well. The trip was great! We stayed in a family room with bunk beds with a view of both the ocean and the lagoon. Our friends stayed in an ocean front suite with their little girl. Their room was beautiful, 2 double beds and a huge balcony with a jacuzzi on it. the entire window opened wide to take full advantage of the view. The website says adults only in some suites but the reality is that you can have children is any room in the hotel, just ask when you check in. I will try to sort out some of the bad press in these reviews by addressing some of the main concerns.

1. The rooms: Beds are firm, I tossed and turned at night more than usual however I was still rested in the morning. There are no fridges in the family rooms however you have a few different ways of dealing with this. Room service will bring 4 cold bottles of water/beer anytime you call. The time to bring it depends on what time you call (meal time is busy for them). there are 2 ice macines on every floor and two sinks in your bath room. I would fill the ice bucket with ice and fill a sink in the bathroom to put drinks and beer in. Worked well for us. There are also many different places to get beverages and ice poured into your own mugs/cooler cups to take back into your room with you. Tap water is also purified. I saw some people with small travel coolers that they had brought from home with them and then they brought them with them to the pool. The hotel is green and asks you to reuse your bath towels and by default they will only change them every 3 days. This is explained in the room. You can have your towels changed daily by simply calling housekeeping or the front desk and asking not to participate in this program. The hotel has a big center courtyard and noice can carry in the evening into your room. I placed a towel across the bottom of our door and this limited the noise. Also the sound of the ocean would over power this if we left the patio door open.

2. Elevators: for some reason a few reviews have said there are only 2 elevators for the hotel....this is not true. There are 3 sets of 2 elevators in total and stairs next to each one. I would imaging the person who wrote this didn't really look around the hotel. Any way they were not a problem for us.

3. Food: Pace yourself! Magnus is the big "cafeteria" style eatery that you take as you please. It was the place we ate at most. There is about 7 different sections with different themes. The whole fruit section was unreal, fresh like at a grocery store. Mangoes, bananas, apples, grapes, oranges. There was also fruit pealed and sliced. Salad and vegi section also fresh. Smoothies made from the fruits. Package yogurt and small boxes of kids cereal to take (frosted flakes, corn pops, chocolate rice crispys) granola and oats. The hot food sections were hit and miss but find what you like from a meat/pasta point of view and stick with it. For breakfast you have more than enough choices. For lunch the poolside outdoor grill was fantastic. You can order hamburgers/hotdogs/steak sandwiches, or you can fill your plate with buffet section of nachos/ wings/chicken fingers/calamari/ french fries or pork ribs. Was sooo good. Dinner had more options with the ala carte restaurants however I didn't find them all that good. It was however fun to change it up and if you didn't like what you got you could always run to Magnus to take something up to your room. Make sure you don't eat at the cafeteria before 5'30 pm for dinner as the lunch food doesnt change over to dinner until around that time. So if you go there for supper around 5 you may be served the last part of lunch. Coffee was always best at the coffee shop and available 24 hours.

Drinks: Room service is only place to get bottle beer (XX, sol, tecante) and if you offer tip the guy will bring you more beer if you want. Tap beer is available everywhere and is only XX. It is draft and cold. The poolside bar made great blender drinks to order and had a ton of selections. I didn't drink shots but from what I say they had lots of premium bottle to choose from. When you order a drink they give your a small glass. If you tip they give you a bigger glass. If you bring your own cooler mug they will fill it for you. I saw a guy with a 1 liter bubba mug and when he gave it to the bartender he filled it up full for him. So bring your own glass with you if you want or you can buy bubba mugs at the general store there. Personally I just used their small glasses, there was never a line up, there were servers frequently bringing you what you wanted so i just stayed with their glasses.

Internet: Wifi is available for $15/day. I was able to stream netflix via my ipad with it. The TV's have an HDMI hookup so bring your ipad/tv adaptors and you can hook into the flatscreen in your room. when you pay for internet you get a login and password to use on multiple devices. If you are travelling with another couple just have one person get the wifi for the week and split the cost. Share your login and password without a problem. I was able to use 2 iphones and 3 ipads with the one account. We also communicated with each other via iMessage. I called home with Skype. My friend was able to facetime with his family from his balcony in his room.

Kids Pool/Club: Pirate ship pool was fun for the kids. No drinking at this pool and only chairs to sit in. I guess they want parents vigilant at this pool. I appreciated this mentality. there is a life guard there and I found here very aware of everything going on. good games lots of fun for the kids. Adults can climb in the ship and tower however can't go down the watersides. Not sure why. Older kids at least 48" can go to the neighboring pool with the bigger 2 waterslides. Be aware that they litterally measure you and if your not 48" you cant go in. I spoke with a few parents whose 7 year olds were 47" and where denied entry. The kids club was quiet during the week that we were there so we didn't use it. It is very secure and structured. They will look after your kids all day for you if you let them. Just give them your cell number and they will call you if they need you. Infants and toddlers have also the same structure with a nap room with cribs. Also a separate heated wading pool for toddler/infant activities.

Spa: My wife and I did the Couples 2.5 hr extravaganza for valentines day and it was fantastic. I can honestly say it is one of the most beautiful spa's we have ever been to. I would highly recommend it.

Other tips: You can sign out beach toys from the minigolf guy. We found this out closer to the end of the week so we never took advantage of this. There is a pharmacy there that sells swimmers and regular diapers of all sizes. They also sell vitimin water and red bull in case you crave this. There is a safe in your room, when you check in ask the person to give you the key and the lock for the safe.

Overall I had a very enjoyable time with my friends and family and at the end of the week I was well rested and returned home satisfied. The hotel tries very hard and it is noticeable in so many ways. I did scratch my head at a few things but overall it was no big deal. Just go with an open mind and take some time getting to know the hotel. Chances are if you think something should be, it probably is, you just need to ask.

Room Tip: Ocean front suites can get hot during the day.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The actual booking for four rooms had been for the adult-only Golden Parnassus. On arrival we were encouraged/offered upgrades to suites at the Great Parnassus, a family oriented property about a mile away. It was implied that the Golden was overbooked. Weary from several hours of travel the idea of more space was appealing despite a preference against competing for space with small children. We took the deal, a mistake we later discovered we shared with several others.

The ocean-side suites did prove large. Two rooms were not clean (smudges, dirt, hair in a drain, an abandoned cleaning rag). Maintenance problems with three of the rooms included semi-functional showers (corroded shower heads, non-working controls), One room's ceiling fan lacked a globe over the lightbulb. The best of the suites was missing the mini-fridge that was supposed to be a standard room complement.

The promise of suites on the same floor was impossible for the Great Parnassus to meet. We were assigned rooms on four different floors which would not have been so bad if not for the truly glacial elevator movement.

Dinner on our first night took about 2.5 hours (not counting the wait for seating) as dishes randomly arrived for each of our seven family members. In my case, the appetizer I ordered never arrived and I had to remind the wait-staff of a missing salad as others were finishing their entrees. The breakfast buffet was a better experience.

To be fair, the adult only pool/hot tub/bar on the Great's land side was never crowded. My suite, only two floors above the main pools and beach, was quiet in the late-evening as the hotel closed these areas after dark. Rust on metal components of each room may be more the result of age than maintenance neglect, hard to avoid in such a tropical environment. Beverages were abundantly available. The hotel did make an effort by changing three of the unsatisfactory rooms to two suites and one deluxe room in better condition on our first night.

After breakfast we insisted on being moved back to the Golden Parnassus. Perhaps because we booked this 7 night trip through a major vacation package company our appeal was successful and we were transferred back to the Golden Parnassus for the remainder of our stay in Cancun.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room that fails to meet reasonable standards. If you don't have a thrid party to...
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

dont take any notice of all the bad reviews hotel was fine - clean and tidy -the food wasnt bad either there was something for everyone Big Bens was probably the best place were you could get excellent steaks and ribs - good choice of resteraunts and you dont have to book either -read a few reviews about there being loads of kids ,this wasnt the case while we was there but did notice a few more turning up in the last couple of days but this didnt matter as there is an adults only pool on the second floor were the barman TEO was great :) hes got you your next drink ready before youve even finished your last one - buffet was ok drinks ok to you could get branded spirits at the bar - we met some great people and had a great holiday stayed from 2 nd feb - 16th 2013 :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Great Parnassus Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!