“2 nights here was more than enough...” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #96 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
London
“2 nights here was more than enough...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I work for an airline, I get to travel a lot. Holiday Inn was one of my favourite brands until I stayed here. I'll try and keep my review somewhat level-headed, which is why It's taken me over a week to write this. It can't have been all bad could it? Me and my wife with 10 year old and 8 year old had stayed in all-inclusive for 12 nights in another lovely hotel before turning up here. That is what I mean by being fair in my review. As we were realistic about our expectations... here goes anyway.
Hotel front / reception light and airy, quite pleasant actually.
Reception staff OK, friendly enough. My first gripe however was the riduculous 'voucher system' they insist upon. One for the room and one for meals. The way it was explained to me was as we werent all inclusive here, I had to open a seperate voucher with x amount for meals and drink. Which i agreed upon..well at least I thought I did.
First morning we were there it was down to breakfast. Well I've travelled a lot as I said but i've never known anything like this before.
One woman on the front desk who doesnt seem to do an awful lot. I politely asked if we can sit down and it nothing more than a vacant expression aimed at me. Hello? Is it ok If i do your job for you? Someone else just standing there looking over what you were taking, almost guarding the door. Embarrasing or what. We showed ourselves to a table.. they couldnt even do that properly. More on the 'service' later.
The food itself was mediocre to be honest. As I said we had just arrived from a all inclusive resort so we were spoilt a little. So to be fair maybe more than mediocre. It was OK. I reckon the soles of my shoes weren't as tough as the fried eggs though. Not pleasant at all. There was an egg station which was OK and variety wasnt too bad. I've seen worse to be honest.
I mentioned vouchers at front desk well what happened next was totally unprofessional.
The 'waiter' asked for my room number. In my opinion the underworked reception lady should have had that information already but never mind. OK they had my room number and then I asked for the bill. I thought I had opened a meal 'voucher' with reception but this seemed to confuse the waiter. Basically I was asked to follow the waiter to main reception desk like some naughty schoolboy. this was after he asked me for a tip. Yes he did. When it became clear to him that a tip was not forthcoming he appeared to change his attitude towards me and my family. Why would I tip someone for pouring out a couple of cups of coffee at a serve yourself buffet restaurant? My payment for meal was verified by the reception staff while my family waited for me elsewhere. The waiter sulked off back to the restaurant to ask someone else for a tip for doing next to nothing. The next morning was interesting as well. More on that later.
The room itself..well OK i suppose. We had an ocean view or half of one anyway. Bathroom very small, A/C ok. Floor tiles felt very damp, probably because of A/C. sliding door to balcony sticking all the time. Ants everywhere. If we were there for more that a couple of days these would be real issues. Didnt use room service or anything else like that. Kids club was shut - looked like for the season I guess.
Onto the surroundings. The only thing that gets a thumb up here is the beach. Not huge or the best kept beach but It was quite nice there. Two pools were nice also, nice view onto ocean, not huge again but adequate and we saw them being cleaned. Poolside bar not open, again we're into off-season now so understandable. Poster on large beds informing of a charge of $20 US for their use. You are joking right?
We had a light snack at bar for that evenings meal. Four burgers and fries with a few drinks That was about £46 GBP. Not cheap but they were nice. Guess what? because the server actually worked for his money, fetched the food, fetched some drinks, provided the kids with some nibbles and smiled, I tipped him a few dollars. Now we're getting somewhere..
Onto breakfast the following morning. Message to waiters.. covering your name badges when you saw me doesn't really matter. You're all as bad as each other and it was too late. You upset me the previous day. Also waiting until I went up to buffet and asking my ten year old boy what room we were in because you were avoiding me did not go unnoticed. Standing over my table not saying anything trying to be amusing is not a correct and proper thing to do either.
Quick word on the location of hotel.. not in main area of Cancun so its cabs all the way, not ideal but ok if you want to be a bit further out from the hustle of Cancun it would suit.
WIFI is free but ehmm doesn't work in rooms.
I'll let senior management at Holiday Inn know of my feelings. I'm friendly with one of them.
Needless to say this was my first and last visit to this hotel. Some things you can live with for a few days..luckily that's all the time we had to put up with this place and its people.
Signing off before the manager puts some patronising comment below this review.. 'rest assured your comments will be made known' etc etc. Happy Holidays.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear paulf68,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had in the restaurant and we are truly sorry for the service issues you had during your visit. We always endeavor to meet our guests' expectations and regret that we failed to deliver on this instance.

It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was a beautiful hotel however it doesn't compare to other hotels in Cancun, nor to other Holiday Inn's around the world. The staff were friendly and service was fast at the front desk, rooms refreshed well daily and we weren't at all disturbed.

The only lack of service was that the room service was confusing as it doesn't run all day/night and swaps from the buffet to pool bar etc. though they don't run on time so for a few hours of the day there was nowhere to eat within the hotel.

The location is not very good as it is not in the centre of Cancun and the beach is quite murky with seaweed, unlike the other end of Cancun where they are crystal blue.

I would recommend this hotel if you want to be away from the action or are looking for a short, cheap stay. It's a good hotel however nothing special for Cancun!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Thank goodness I was not looking for an all inclusive resort and we were just here to sleep. The rooms were a decent size, beds comfortable and the room clean but thats the standard things, its what you expect from a hotel. Its the extras that they truly disappointed me. Firstly they say free Wifi but it never worked unless you were in the lobby. The maid had the A/C so low that the room steamed up and water was literally dripping from the roof and the floor was so slippery. I just did not feel comfortable at this hotel.

On the up side the breakfast was great, really good balance spread.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear TinoStar_13,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us.

We are saddened to read that we have failed to meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with our WiFi service and air conditioning system. We regret that your experience was not ideal and sorry for the lapse in service.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel totally ruined my trip to Cancun and Mexico. As soon as I arrived things went wrong, staying with a friend and they give us double bed even though we requested twin share. Staff couldn't care less, horrible and rude. Stated they had no soare room. They stated they would give us a trundle bed for room, i argued with them that i had paid for twin share and wanted my money back, only then Transferred to a second room which stank of smoke and mould, sticky and damp, aircon not operating, requesting 3 times to get it fixed. On second day we both came down with severe flu, the dampness and mould in air conditioning the definate reason. Poor service, staff rude and abrasive, breakfast was almost in edible and we ate not fussy eaters. Breakfast was included however on the last day a rude waiter demanded that I pay $35 US for hot breakfast of a fried egg and toast! The only time the staff approached you was when they had their hand out for money.
Place is filthy and unwelcoming. We couldn't sleep as doors banging and yelling by maids, also the location of the hotel is a 10-15 min bus ride from the main strip. We couldn't even relax on gne beach with a drink and put it on our room tab, they refused to give room tabs, hassled every 5 mins to pay up and give tips. Staff rudest I've encountered in Mexico. Overall, do not stay here, don't throw your money away, the hotel should be knocked down as far as I'm concerned! Bad bad bad!!!

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Well-travelled99cont,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.

It is very unfortunate that we have left you with a less than memorable guest experience. I humbly apologize for the issues you had with our staff and for the shortcomings you have encountered in your room and in some of our amenities. We are truly sorry for the dissatisfaction and inconvenience you had.

I regret that you found these aspects of your stay displeasing. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We hope you give us the opportunity to offer you our best attention and quality of service on your next visit.

Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This Holiday Inn is not within walking distance from any restaurants or shops or Cancun´s commercial area. Rooms are big, clean and nice, view from balconies is beautiful, buffet is very good and plentiful. Small family hotel, convenient and nice to rest and enjoy the beach. However, no service after 10 PM, either in the bar or the restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose one that has a balcony with sea view.