I work for an airline, I get to travel a lot. Holiday Inn was one of my favourite brands until I stayed here. I'll try and keep my review somewhat level-headed, which is why It's taken me over a week to write this. It can't have been all bad could it? Me and my wife with 10 year old and 8 year old had stayed in all-inclusive for 12 nights in another lovely hotel before turning up here. That is what I mean by being fair in my review. As we were realistic about our expectations... here goes anyway.
Hotel front / reception light and airy, quite pleasant actually.
Reception staff OK, friendly enough. My first gripe however was the riduculous 'voucher system' they insist upon. One for the room and one for meals. The way it was explained to me was as we werent all inclusive here, I had to open a seperate voucher with x amount for meals and drink. Which i agreed upon..well at least I thought I did.
First morning we were there it was down to breakfast. Well I've travelled a lot as I said but i've never known anything like this before.
One woman on the front desk who doesnt seem to do an awful lot. I politely asked if we can sit down and it nothing more than a vacant expression aimed at me. Hello? Is it ok If i do your job for you? Someone else just standing there looking over what you were taking, almost guarding the door. Embarrasing or what. We showed ourselves to a table.. they couldnt even do that properly. More on the 'service' later.
The food itself was mediocre to be honest. As I said we had just arrived from a all inclusive resort so we were spoilt a little. So to be fair maybe more than mediocre. It was OK. I reckon the soles of my shoes weren't as tough as the fried eggs though. Not pleasant at all. There was an egg station which was OK and variety wasnt too bad. I've seen worse to be honest.
I mentioned vouchers at front desk well what happened next was totally unprofessional.
The 'waiter' asked for my room number. In my opinion the underworked reception lady should have had that information already but never mind. OK they had my room number and then I asked for the bill. I thought I had opened a meal 'voucher' with reception but this seemed to confuse the waiter. Basically I was asked to follow the waiter to main reception desk like some naughty schoolboy. this was after he asked me for a tip. Yes he did. When it became clear to him that a tip was not forthcoming he appeared to change his attitude towards me and my family. Why would I tip someone for pouring out a couple of cups of coffee at a serve yourself buffet restaurant? My payment for meal was verified by the reception staff while my family waited for me elsewhere. The waiter sulked off back to the restaurant to ask someone else for a tip for doing next to nothing. The next morning was interesting as well. More on that later.
The room itself..well OK i suppose. We had an ocean view or half of one anyway. Bathroom very small, A/C ok. Floor tiles felt very damp, probably because of A/C. sliding door to balcony sticking all the time. Ants everywhere. If we were there for more that a couple of days these would be real issues. Didnt use room service or anything else like that. Kids club was shut - looked like for the season I guess.
Onto the surroundings. The only thing that gets a thumb up here is the beach. Not huge or the best kept beach but It was quite nice there. Two pools were nice also, nice view onto ocean, not huge again but adequate and we saw them being cleaned. Poolside bar not open, again we're into off-season now so understandable. Poster on large beds informing of a charge of $20 US for their use. You are joking right?
We had a light snack at bar for that evenings meal. Four burgers and fries with a few drinks That was about £46 GBP. Not cheap but they were nice. Guess what? because the server actually worked for his money, fetched the food, fetched some drinks, provided the kids with some nibbles and smiled, I tipped him a few dollars. Now we're getting somewhere..
Onto breakfast the following morning. Message to waiters.. covering your name badges when you saw me doesn't really matter. You're all as bad as each other and it was too late. You upset me the previous day. Also waiting until I went up to buffet and asking my ten year old boy what room we were in because you were avoiding me did not go unnoticed. Standing over my table not saying anything trying to be amusing is not a correct and proper thing to do either.
Quick word on the location of hotel.. not in main area of Cancun so its cabs all the way, not ideal but ok if you want to be a bit further out from the hustle of Cancun it would suit.
WIFI is free but ehmm doesn't work in rooms.
I'll let senior management at Holiday Inn know of my feelings. I'm friendly with one of them.
Needless to say this was my first and last visit to this hotel. Some things you can live with for a few days..luckily that's all the time we had to put up with this place and its people.
Signing off before the manager puts some patronising comment below this review.. 'rest assured your comments will be made known' etc etc. Happy Holidays.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- **** ALL INCLUSIVE OPTION ALSO AVAILABLE**** KIDS FREE UNDER 12 Beautiful BEACH FRONT Hotel, Mediterranean style, perfect for couples and families. Located in front of the calm Cancun beaches. Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas with the best location in the Hotel Zone with a warm environment, surrounded by beautiful gardens, with a walk way that brings you a gorgeous view, that goes from Cancun downtown to the heart of the Hotel Zone, where night clubs, shopping mall and restaurants are located. The Hotel offers All Inclusive Plan and European Plan, beautiful and comfortable rooms with ocean or lagoon view, quality service and four star facilities. Your all inclusive package includes: - Comfortable rooms with Internet access, hairdryer, safe deposit box, iron & ironing board, TV cable, voice mail system, alarm clock and coffee maker. - All meals at the International buffet Restaurant. - Snacks next to the pool - Italian Specialties a La Carte for dining option & The Ocean Grill Tequila a'La Carte' (Reservation required) - Domestic Drinks at the Lobby bar, Pool Bar and the Theater Bar. - Room service (limited menu and hours) - daily activity program and night entertainment. - kids Club - Gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Arenas Cancun