“A quiet stay in Cancun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 175 hotels in Cancun
Sydney
“A quiet stay in Cancun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas. Had an Oceanfront smoking room (only on the balcony). Very clean and the bed was comfortable. Amenities in the room were very good but did not have a fridge in the room, which would have been very welcome.

This is an all inclusive resort, so you have to book the specialty restaurants on arrival. The italian was the best to eat at we found. The buffet food was ok, I would not rave about it, but for the price it satisfied our means. All alcohol was included (except the high end stuff) so we lived on beer, pina coladas and margaritas, yum. The breakfasts were very good, with a chef cooking eggs and omellettes to order. The buffet can get very busy in the morning so I suggest you have breakfast early rather than around 9.00am. I found some of the staff had an attitude problem and if you did not tip them their service was lousy. We are Australians so tipping for us does not come naturally, and I tend to tip for excellent service not just to get a fresh cup of coffee.

The beach area was very clean and there is also an adult pool which was quite relaxing.

This hotel is a 15-20 minute ride to a large shopping mall. Taxis were convenient as well. When you arrive at the airport go to the taxi desk just before you leave the terminal and they will quote you the price to the hotel and if you book a return trip it will work out cheaper buying it this way.

There is a tour desk in the hotel lobby and the prices were on par with other hotels.

This area of Cancun was a lot quieter than further up where all the larger hotel chains are and the beaches are more crowded.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me start by saying that after reading all the reviews (prior to our trip) I was a little affraid, I didn't know what to expect but we had a wonderful time. My sister and I (both in our late tweenties),stayed at the Holiday Inn from February 26 to March 5, 2013, I have nothing bad to say about this place BUT don't expect to arrived at the resort and party like rock star because this place is nice and quiet, very family oriented.

It was perfect for the two of us, join the day we enjoyed the beach and the pool. At night we will hit the Club (10 mins bus ride, very convenient) with our nice friend Jesus (entertainer on the resort). He sure knows how to show the guest a good time (he's awesome). If you are young and looking for lots of entertainment join the day, I would recommend you stay at the Oasis, because the Holiday Inn, is not a party resort.

The staff were extremely nice and they always make sure you are well look after. I honestly do NOT have anything negative to say about this hotel. We have a nice room with balcony, our housekeeper Nelly was so great. Free internet at all time, which is a plus.

It's not a 5 star hotel but for the price you pay for this all inclusive hotel, you can't ask for anything better then this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

All the personal are very friendly and helpful. From the help desk to the bartenders, every one just want you to have fun. And the food is amazing!!!! The only thing I didn't like at all was when you check out they cut your all inclusive band and you cant consume anything, only if you pay extra, and in any other hotel you can stay and finish your day with out paying extra for it.

Room Tip: Choose one that is far from the elevators, because every time that is in your floor you can hear the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Outdated. Room was small. Bathroom smelled bad. Pretty clean. Nice view of the pool but very noisy at night when they show cartoons on the wall over the pool, with volume cranked way up. Go figure. Lobby always very crowded. Bar disappointing and pricey. Will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Nortguy,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. It is with regret to read that you did not enjoy your recent visit due to the condition of the room that were given. I have taken note of your feedback and this will be used to consider improvements needed at our facility.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and leaving a review.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a budget hotel, there’s nothing luxurious about it so do not expect much. I have stayed here 3 times but I won’t be staying here ever again. The reason is the way I was treated by the front desk people, also some food and mold issues.
I was going to write an average review until I got sick. On our second day my wife and I came down with some severe flu. I thought it was the mold in our second room (#1308). I still think that room had something to do with our illness. (The first room was right by the pool & way too noisy, we made it clear when we made the reservation we wanted a room in a quiet area – specifically told Chantal at the front desk when we checked in and she assured us that the room was in a quiet area when in fact it was right above the DJ and next to the pool. She was anything but customer-focused.) At this place being a Priority Club member means absolutely nothing.
We were supposed to stay 8 nights, the first 5 were all inclusive followed by 2 nights of non-inclusive and the last night once again all inclusive. On the second night we got very ill and stayed in bed for 2 days, barely ate anything but soup, saw the doctor (he came to the room from outside) who gave us antibiotics and flu medicine. On the sixth day and $300 dollars later (doctor/medicine bill) our all inclusive ran out. Room service menu was limited to 3 items: fruit plate, quesadillas or a burger which was terrible to say the least. It was literally a piece of super salty meat with bread filler on a bun.
After two days of pure bed rest, antibiotics, cough & flu medicine we were not getting better. That’s when we realized that the musty smell from our room could be further exacerbating our illness so we changed to a third room. The third room did smell much better (not musty) but there was significant mold in the shower that gave us the creeps.
We continued to feel bad and decided to go home early in order to get better. We left the hotel one day early losing out on one prepaid night but did not care because we felt so ill and uncomfortable at this hotel.
During the check out processes neither Chantal nor Adrian asked us how was our stay nor did they give us a smile. Chantal commented that we were supposed to leave the next day. She did not inquire about why were chose to leave early. I was in a very bad shape as we were checking out, feeling like I was about to pass out. They did not offer even water or anything. In fact my sugar levels were probably low so I asked for a can of 7-up from the lobby bar because the gift shop was closed. The charge was $4 USD.
When we checked out we got a whopping bill of close to $60 USD for long distance charges. Before calling our airline to change the date on our return reservation I spoke with Adrian at the front desk to verify the charge for dialing a toll free number from our room & was told the charge would be 4.50 pesos per call. When we got our hotel bill we were charged as if the calls we made to our airline were long distance international calls, by the minute. Apparently, if you call a toll-free number within Mexico the charge is 4.50 pesos per call, but if the toll-free number terminates in the USA it is considered an international call. I was feeling too ill at that point to fight the charges. We just wanted the heck out of there. We later learned if you dial an international toll free call from a pay phone there is no charge.
On a positive note, we did receive good attention from Tatiana at the front desk, who helped us coordinate the room changes. Also, Adriana our housekeeper when we were in room 1308 provided very good service.
We went on this trip to this property with what we thought were realistic expectations. We knew the hotel was more towards a three-star than a four-star level but our getting sick, having to change rooms twice combined with several bad-apples at the front desk has led me to write this less than glowing review.
This entire experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire chain of Holiday Inns. The sub-standard accommodations and lack of customer-focus of the staff when compared to other brands (Marriott, Hilton, Starwood) is staggering. I have been a Priority Club member for over fifteen years. What is the benefit of accumulating points during the year as I travel for work if there are no quality properties on which to redeem my points for a well-deserved vacation?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Tropiczul,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so I have sent you a private message.

I look forward to hear back from you and be of further assistance.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Ask the staff in the lobby....They have always good suggestions.
The restaurant is really nice and all the merchandise were good made,with tasty,...and we can
eat all what we desire...and we can have a good wine too "Shiraz of Chile".
The personal was on the top at any time.

Room Tip: With view to the Ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Will start with giving them 5* for the free WI-FI in all rooms and all over the hotel. Well done, about time ALL Resorts gave you FREE WI-FI.

On Arrival I was told they were fully booked on Standard rooms (at time of booking this was the only room I could book) and would give me an up-grade, and I was happy to take the up-grade. But when he gave me my room key and all the information he said Room Only.!! I said NO its All Inclusive I have, he went to my booking conformation and was looking at it I pointed to where it said all inclusive. He was on the phone for about 15 minutes then came back to me and said that he could not get anyone to change my booking at this time from RO to AL and if I come down in the morning and tell them it would be changed.

I said to him I have been up from 04.00AM on the 7th Jan and it was now 21.30PM Mexico time, if you put the 6 hours on that was taken off when flying from the UK to Mexico it was 03:30AM for me, nearly 24 hours traveling. I said I needed something to eat and drink. I was told give him my credit card and they would add credit to my room so I could get something to eat and drink and it would be refunded back to me when I see them in the morning. As I was about to leave reception they said wait, we will give you another up-grade and offered me 3 up-grades, I got room 1401 sea view and on the 4th floor and had a great view, and it was so easy to get to you can see the lift you use from the reception desk, within 5 minutes or less I was in my room. When I got to my room I got in touch with British Airways with the Free WI-FI and told them that they said I was on a room only and not all inclusive. When I got up in the morning I had an email from British Airways saying they had spoken to the Hotel and everything was sorted.

The staff where ALL very friendly, the room service was very good available from 10:00 to 22:30, the food at the pool side restaurant was very good, as for the per booking restaurant’s I could not tell you what the food was like as I never used them. But at breakfast don’t ask for an English breakfast as the only thing you will get is a fried egg. They have NO fried sausages, black pudding, beans, fried tomatoes, or Mushrooms, and don’t ask for a Boiled or Poached egg as you will get a NO as well. Only on one day did they have cheerios’ and I think the other cereal was coco pops, all the other days it was frosties and coco pops. The breakfast Lunch and dinner was all Spanish orientated food. One thing they do need to look at, no matter what time you went for lunch or dinner, if you were in as they opened the doors or 30 minutes later or at last thing some of the food was cold and should have been piping hot.

Hotel was very clean and tidy and very bright, rooms where very clean and the one I was in very big, but had a small balcony, but they could do with putting a fridge in all the rooms, I think some have and some don’t the room is big enough to put one in. If you go to the 3rd floor they have an ice machine in the wall just press the button and fill up your ice bucket. They are putting in a new 2nd lift in at reception and its all glass.

The beach gets stuff washed up onto it but they have someone there all day cleaning it up if they get any washed up onto the beach, it’s like a coconut fibre that’s washed up. The waves are not very big most days the sea is very smooth even if there is a strong wind. If the hotel is busy they run out of beach recliners.

When you order ANYTHING you have to give your room number and they bring you a slip that you have to sign, or if you are at the bar they will keep add to your slip till you leave the bar then hand you the slip to sign, does not matter if you’re on RO or AI.

If you go out of the Hotel there are plenty buses passing to take you further down into the town as there are a lot of shopping centres and a duty free shopping centre, bars and all kinds of restaurants.

Most of the hotel guests where Spanish speaking, heard some from USA, UK, and Australian but not many.

Would I go back!!! Yes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas? Share your experiences!