“The best customer service ever!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #102 of 175 hotels in Cancun
Calgary, Canada
“The best customer service ever!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

All the personal are very friendly and helpful. From the help desk to the bartenders, every one just want you to have fun. And the food is amazing!!!! The only thing I didn't like at all was when you check out they cut your all inclusive band and you cant consume anything, only if you pay extra, and in any other hotel you can stay and finish your day with out paying extra for it.

Room Tip: Choose one that is far from the elevators, because every time that is in your floor you can hear the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Outdated. Room was small. Bathroom smelled bad. Pretty clean. Nice view of the pool but very noisy at night when they show cartoons on the wall over the pool, with volume cranked way up. Go figure. Lobby always very crowded. Bar disappointing and pricey. Will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Nortguy,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. It is with regret to read that you did not enjoy your recent visit due to the condition of the room that were given. I have taken note of your feedback and this will be used to consider improvements needed at our facility.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and leaving a review.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a budget hotel, there’s nothing luxurious about it so do not expect much. I have stayed here 3 times but I won’t be staying here ever again. The reason is the way I was treated by the front desk people, also some food and mold issues.
I was going to write an average review until I got sick. On our second day my wife and I came down with some severe flu. I thought it was the mold in our second room (#1308). I still think that room had something to do with our illness. (The first room was right by the pool & way too noisy, we made it clear when we made the reservation we wanted a room in a quiet area – specifically told Chantal at the front desk when we checked in and she assured us that the room was in a quiet area when in fact it was right above the DJ and next to the pool. She was anything but customer-focused.) At this place being a Priority Club member means absolutely nothing.
We were supposed to stay 8 nights, the first 5 were all inclusive followed by 2 nights of non-inclusive and the last night once again all inclusive. On the second night we got very ill and stayed in bed for 2 days, barely ate anything but soup, saw the doctor (he came to the room from outside) who gave us antibiotics and flu medicine. On the sixth day and $300 dollars later (doctor/medicine bill) our all inclusive ran out. Room service menu was limited to 3 items: fruit plate, quesadillas or a burger which was terrible to say the least. It was literally a piece of super salty meat with bread filler on a bun.
After two days of pure bed rest, antibiotics, cough & flu medicine we were not getting better. That’s when we realized that the musty smell from our room could be further exacerbating our illness so we changed to a third room. The third room did smell much better (not musty) but there was significant mold in the shower that gave us the creeps.
We continued to feel bad and decided to go home early in order to get better. We left the hotel one day early losing out on one prepaid night but did not care because we felt so ill and uncomfortable at this hotel.
During the check out processes neither Chantal nor Adrian asked us how was our stay nor did they give us a smile. Chantal commented that we were supposed to leave the next day. She did not inquire about why were chose to leave early. I was in a very bad shape as we were checking out, feeling like I was about to pass out. They did not offer even water or anything. In fact my sugar levels were probably low so I asked for a can of 7-up from the lobby bar because the gift shop was closed. The charge was $4 USD.
When we checked out we got a whopping bill of close to $60 USD for long distance charges. Before calling our airline to change the date on our return reservation I spoke with Adrian at the front desk to verify the charge for dialing a toll free number from our room & was told the charge would be 4.50 pesos per call. When we got our hotel bill we were charged as if the calls we made to our airline were long distance international calls, by the minute. Apparently, if you call a toll-free number within Mexico the charge is 4.50 pesos per call, but if the toll-free number terminates in the USA it is considered an international call. I was feeling too ill at that point to fight the charges. We just wanted the heck out of there. We later learned if you dial an international toll free call from a pay phone there is no charge.
On a positive note, we did receive good attention from Tatiana at the front desk, who helped us coordinate the room changes. Also, Adriana our housekeeper when we were in room 1308 provided very good service.
We went on this trip to this property with what we thought were realistic expectations. We knew the hotel was more towards a three-star than a four-star level but our getting sick, having to change rooms twice combined with several bad-apples at the front desk has led me to write this less than glowing review.
This entire experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire chain of Holiday Inns. The sub-standard accommodations and lack of customer-focus of the staff when compared to other brands (Marriott, Hilton, Starwood) is staggering. I have been a Priority Club member for over fifteen years. What is the benefit of accumulating points during the year as I travel for work if there are no quality properties on which to redeem my points for a well-deserved vacation?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Tropiczul,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so I have sent you a private message.

I look forward to hear back from you and be of further assistance.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Ask the staff in the lobby....They have always good suggestions.
The restaurant is really nice and all the merchandise were good made,with tasty,...and we can
eat all what we desire...and we can have a good wine too "Shiraz of Chile".
The personal was on the top at any time.

Room Tip: With view to the Ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Will start with giving them 5* for the free WI-FI in all rooms and all over the hotel. Well done, about time ALL Resorts gave you FREE WI-FI.

On Arrival I was told they were fully booked on Standard rooms (at time of booking this was the only room I could book) and would give me an up-grade, and I was happy to take the up-grade. But when he gave me my room key and all the information he said Room Only.!! I said NO its All Inclusive I have, he went to my booking conformation and was looking at it I pointed to where it said all inclusive. He was on the phone for about 15 minutes then came back to me and said that he could not get anyone to change my booking at this time from RO to AL and if I come down in the morning and tell them it would be changed.

I said to him I have been up from 04.00AM on the 7th Jan and it was now 21.30PM Mexico time, if you put the 6 hours on that was taken off when flying from the UK to Mexico it was 03:30AM for me, nearly 24 hours traveling. I said I needed something to eat and drink. I was told give him my credit card and they would add credit to my room so I could get something to eat and drink and it would be refunded back to me when I see them in the morning. As I was about to leave reception they said wait, we will give you another up-grade and offered me 3 up-grades, I got room 1401 sea view and on the 4th floor and had a great view, and it was so easy to get to you can see the lift you use from the reception desk, within 5 minutes or less I was in my room. When I got to my room I got in touch with British Airways with the Free WI-FI and told them that they said I was on a room only and not all inclusive. When I got up in the morning I had an email from British Airways saying they had spoken to the Hotel and everything was sorted.

The staff where ALL very friendly, the room service was very good available from 10:00 to 22:30, the food at the pool side restaurant was very good, as for the per booking restaurant’s I could not tell you what the food was like as I never used them. But at breakfast don’t ask for an English breakfast as the only thing you will get is a fried egg. They have NO fried sausages, black pudding, beans, fried tomatoes, or Mushrooms, and don’t ask for a Boiled or Poached egg as you will get a NO as well. Only on one day did they have cheerios’ and I think the other cereal was coco pops, all the other days it was frosties and coco pops. The breakfast Lunch and dinner was all Spanish orientated food. One thing they do need to look at, no matter what time you went for lunch or dinner, if you were in as they opened the doors or 30 minutes later or at last thing some of the food was cold and should have been piping hot.

Hotel was very clean and tidy and very bright, rooms where very clean and the one I was in very big, but had a small balcony, but they could do with putting a fridge in all the rooms, I think some have and some don’t the room is big enough to put one in. If you go to the 3rd floor they have an ice machine in the wall just press the button and fill up your ice bucket. They are putting in a new 2nd lift in at reception and its all glass.

The beach gets stuff washed up onto it but they have someone there all day cleaning it up if they get any washed up onto the beach, it’s like a coconut fibre that’s washed up. The waves are not very big most days the sea is very smooth even if there is a strong wind. If the hotel is busy they run out of beach recliners.

When you order ANYTHING you have to give your room number and they bring you a slip that you have to sign, or if you are at the bar they will keep add to your slip till you leave the bar then hand you the slip to sign, does not matter if you’re on RO or AI.

If you go out of the Hotel there are plenty buses passing to take you further down into the town as there are a lot of shopping centres and a duty free shopping centre, bars and all kinds of restaurants.

Most of the hotel guests where Spanish speaking, heard some from USA, UK, and Australian but not many.

Would I go back!!! Yes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bridgton, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was reluctant about staying here after readinfg some bad reviews. However this was a PriorityClub Rewards free night. I was giving a ocean front room with balcony. Very clean and modern with lovely view ... I ate at the buffett (all inclusive ) and found it to be fine.... many choices... Staff was friendly and helpful..Very enjoyable stay... Only negative would be they played music on/near the beach untill about 10:30 at night. I asked the mgr and he said he would give me another room if i wanted.. I chose not to because i likes my ocean front room..

Room Tip: If you don't want to here the music ask for a room away from it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
fort wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

after reading the review i was a little concerned about staying at this Holiday Inn ! However, disregard many of them, because I think the negatives come from extremely picky people that are maybe used to a 5 star hotel. My wife and I stayed here and I stayed using my points and opting to pay extra for the all in-clusive. I did everything on-line and did not have any problems at all. Check in was perfect and check out was perfect. The food and drinks were all great ! We even watched a show in the evening with dinner. Everything kinda starts at 10:00 am. and goes til late in the evening. Again, we absolutely had no problems ! This is very convienent to walmart and the grociery store chadeau. Chadeua is a great super store and is cheap ! The downside to this grociery store as well as the hotel is that there are not may english speaking. The hotel is filled with many Europeans and / or spanish speaking. If you are not comfortable with this then you shouldn't go. You will definitely be the minority if you are from the U.S. as we were the only americans. The beach was descent, however it's in a cove so the waves are big and it is quiet. The swimming area isn't extremely large, but it has a trampoline and is supervised by a lifegaurd. This is an awesome place for the money ! It's the best deal we have had and it's our 7th. trip. Again, don't expect perfection, but it's beautiful, fun and safe. Yes, it is a long bus ride to down town ( about 20 minutes. ) about 10 minutes to walmart. It's convienent to Purotoa Juraez where u can take a ferry to isle majurus island. this is the cheapest ferry ride at about $ 6.00 US. one way. Not many americans here either if this is a concern. So if you stay here just enjoy the culture and the friendly people. try to brush up your spanish a little. it's definitely more for probably couples and families. not a party hotel

Room Tip: ocean view would be best or pool side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas? Share your experiences!