“Very Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Will start with giving them 5* for the free WI-FI in all rooms and all over the hotel. Well done, about time ALL Resorts gave you FREE WI-FI.

On Arrival I was told they were fully booked on Standard rooms (at time of booking this was the only room I could book) and would give me an up-grade, and I was happy to take the up-grade. But when he gave me my room key and all the information he said Room Only.!! I said NO its All Inclusive I have, he went to my booking conformation and was looking at it I pointed to where it said all inclusive. He was on the phone for about 15 minutes then came back to me and said that he could not get anyone to change my booking at this time from RO to AL and if I come down in the morning and tell them it would be changed.

I said to him I have been up from 04.00AM on the 7th Jan and it was now 21.30PM Mexico time, if you put the 6 hours on that was taken off when flying from the UK to Mexico it was 03:30AM for me, nearly 24 hours traveling. I said I needed something to eat and drink. I was told give him my credit card and they would add credit to my room so I could get something to eat and drink and it would be refunded back to me when I see them in the morning. As I was about to leave reception they said wait, we will give you another up-grade and offered me 3 up-grades, I got room 1401 sea view and on the 4th floor and had a great view, and it was so easy to get to you can see the lift you use from the reception desk, within 5 minutes or less I was in my room. When I got to my room I got in touch with British Airways with the Free WI-FI and told them that they said I was on a room only and not all inclusive. When I got up in the morning I had an email from British Airways saying they had spoken to the Hotel and everything was sorted.

The staff where ALL very friendly, the room service was very good available from 10:00 to 22:30, the food at the pool side restaurant was very good, as for the per booking restaurant’s I could not tell you what the food was like as I never used them. But at breakfast don’t ask for an English breakfast as the only thing you will get is a fried egg. They have NO fried sausages, black pudding, beans, fried tomatoes, or Mushrooms, and don’t ask for a Boiled or Poached egg as you will get a NO as well. Only on one day did they have cheerios’ and I think the other cereal was coco pops, all the other days it was frosties and coco pops. The breakfast Lunch and dinner was all Spanish orientated food. One thing they do need to look at, no matter what time you went for lunch or dinner, if you were in as they opened the doors or 30 minutes later or at last thing some of the food was cold and should have been piping hot.

Hotel was very clean and tidy and very bright, rooms where very clean and the one I was in very big, but had a small balcony, but they could do with putting a fridge in all the rooms, I think some have and some don’t the room is big enough to put one in. If you go to the 3rd floor they have an ice machine in the wall just press the button and fill up your ice bucket. They are putting in a new 2nd lift in at reception and its all glass.

The beach gets stuff washed up onto it but they have someone there all day cleaning it up if they get any washed up onto the beach, it’s like a coconut fibre that’s washed up. The waves are not very big most days the sea is very smooth even if there is a strong wind. If the hotel is busy they run out of beach recliners.

When you order ANYTHING you have to give your room number and they bring you a slip that you have to sign, or if you are at the bar they will keep add to your slip till you leave the bar then hand you the slip to sign, does not matter if you’re on RO or AI.

If you go out of the Hotel there are plenty buses passing to take you further down into the town as there are a lot of shopping centres and a duty free shopping centre, bars and all kinds of restaurants.

Most of the hotel guests where Spanish speaking, heard some from USA, UK, and Australian but not many.

Would I go back!!! Yes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bridgton, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was reluctant about staying here after readinfg some bad reviews. However this was a PriorityClub Rewards free night. I was giving a ocean front room with balcony. Very clean and modern with lovely view ... I ate at the buffett (all inclusive ) and found it to be fine.... many choices... Staff was friendly and helpful..Very enjoyable stay... Only negative would be they played music on/near the beach untill about 10:30 at night. I asked the mgr and he said he would give me another room if i wanted.. I chose not to because i likes my ocean front room..

Room Tip: If you don't want to here the music ask for a room away from it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
fort wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

after reading the review i was a little concerned about staying at this Holiday Inn ! However, disregard many of them, because I think the negatives come from extremely picky people that are maybe used to a 5 star hotel. My wife and I stayed here and I stayed using my points and opting to pay extra for the all in-clusive. I did everything on-line and did not have any problems at all. Check in was perfect and check out was perfect. The food and drinks were all great ! We even watched a show in the evening with dinner. Everything kinda starts at 10:00 am. and goes til late in the evening. Again, we absolutely had no problems ! This is very convienent to walmart and the grociery store chadeau. Chadeua is a great super store and is cheap ! The downside to this grociery store as well as the hotel is that there are not may english speaking. The hotel is filled with many Europeans and / or spanish speaking. If you are not comfortable with this then you shouldn't go. You will definitely be the minority if you are from the U.S. as we were the only americans. The beach was descent, however it's in a cove so the waves are big and it is quiet. The swimming area isn't extremely large, but it has a trampoline and is supervised by a lifegaurd. This is an awesome place for the money ! It's the best deal we have had and it's our 7th. trip. Again, don't expect perfection, but it's beautiful, fun and safe. Yes, it is a long bus ride to down town ( about 20 minutes. ) about 10 minutes to walmart. It's convienent to Purotoa Juraez where u can take a ferry to isle majurus island. this is the cheapest ferry ride at about $ 6.00 US. one way. Not many americans here either if this is a concern. So if you stay here just enjoy the culture and the friendly people. try to brush up your spanish a little. it's definitely more for probably couples and families. not a party hotel

Room Tip: ocean view would be best or pool side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

As previous reviewers have stated, the hotel is in need of maintenance. It's decaying, like many other beach hotels in Cancun. Unfortunately, even the service was terrible. The maids decided to clean our room in spite of us placing the "no cleaning, please" hanger on the door. We weren't even given new towels after this against-our-will cleaning.

Also, the floor was soaking wet when we checked-in.

They give out bracelets that are extremely dangerous to wear, since they have really sharp edges. So to force the customers to wear them are just ridiculous.

Also, we had to kill off three spiders during our four-day stay. We think the staff should keep those kinds of animals away, not the customers.

Expensive breakfast which was barely worth half of its price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The fastest check-in ever in my life!!!! That was a plus....
Buffet is alright... can't complain :) Activities are fun.....
The only thing... they gotta work on!!! windows, borders, doors, screws ect ect. some of them are rotten and oxidize because of the beach breezzz....

Room Tip: beach view!!! even pool ;) .. street view :(
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel. It was all inclusive and the meals were good. They weren't great, but not having to go out and find places to eat was definitely a benefit. It was right on the bus line and that made travel easy. The room was very clean with stark white floors. The view of the beach from my room was excellent. The staff try to make you feel as though you are at a large active resort even though you are not. It was a cute experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room that views the beach.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Park Ridge, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Checked in for only one night on September 5th - super slow and inept check-in. Wrong room, could not get credit card machine to 'work" had to scrounge together a nights stay in pesos and usd. But they still managed to double charge us, once in cash and on our credit card. So now we are in the process of disputing the additional charges.Thank god i had the foresight to go back and request a reciept for the cash we paid.

Booked as all inclusive. It was a joke - no room service menu- the selection was- hamburger,hotdog, salad,quesdellia(cheese only),fruit and nachos!!!!! Really..see photo of menu. Food was nasty and to top it off the waiter forgot to tell the cook to prepare our frozen hamburgers.

Room was DISGUSTING! stunk like mold and dirty(see photos). TV was terrible, old broken and small (decent selection of channels) and no remote control. Furniture and walls were dirty and beat up. The bathroom was the worst we have ever seen in a Holiday Inn. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS!!!

Additionally; this was also the loudest room we have had the displeasure to stay in. Doors slamming, people talking, kids screamimg, running and the bar music banged through the sliding doors till the early a.m. ( Note : This was NOT during spring break or high season)

We were just grateful that we only had to stay one night. As Platnium Elite members we stay with IHG brands all the time and this is the worst experience we have ever had with one of thier brand hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear khodgdon,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Platinum Elite Member and for posting a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience your room accommodation and the unacceptable service you received caused you. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas? Share your experiences!