“Highs and Lows” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Regina Cancun

You added Club Regina Cancun to your Saves list
Club Regina Cancun
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kilometro 20, Blvd. Kukulcan Zona Hotelera | at the Westin Cancun, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #81 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Highs and Lows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We are Raintree members and have stayed at Club Regina Cancun 5 times over the last 7 years. While we love the location and many things about the property, there are still so many things that need serious attention to maintain the property and improve business.

Wonderful things about this property:

Location is ideal - it is located at the far end of the hotel zone of Cancun. You can take a bus ride to all the crazy fun just down the road, but once you are on the property you are completely removed from the noise, and the beach is much less crowded.

This is ideal beach front!! Some resorts are either not on the ocean, or are so far down in Riviera Maya that you can't leave the property simple because there is no where to go... Riviera Maya properties are kinda in the middle of nowhere usually - just so you know.

From Club Regina you can walk down the beach (and around the end of Club Med) to the best snorkeling spot in Cancun!! No fee, no boat needed - just pop in the water. You will need an inflatable snorkel life vest because the reef is a Federal Park (I bought one online for $25).

Pools - there aren't many, but they do a nice job keeping them clean and maintained. The pool staff tries to keep everybody entertained, but there are also lots of pool chairs under palapas toward the beach so you can just lounge if you prefer. You can use the pools at the Westin next door, too - they have several to choose from.

Rooms - Large! These are not hotel rooms - they are more like apartments. There are 2 bedroom suites which includes 2.5 bathrooms, 2 jacuzzi tubs, living room and kitchen. There are also 1 bedroom suites which include 1.5 bathrooms, 1 jacuzzi tub, and living room, kitchen. You can also get an efficiency, which is either a 1 bedroom split into either the kitchen & living room (with a convertible bed) half, or the bedroom & jacuzzi half.
We prefer to stay in condo or suite style properties, as apposed to the all inclusives, so Club Regina is ideal for that reason. We find all inclusive resorts to have bland, boring meal plans, and the AI aspect tends to deter people from getting out and enjoying the area (and we aren't just talking about an excursion booked at the resort). Cancun is just as safe to get out and explore as any large US city. Besides, it is hard to say you have really seen anything of Cancun if you never leave the resort except to go home.... Get out, walk around, go to the shops, museum, check out the El Rey Ruins in the hotel zone!

Staff - everyone is very friendly. The maids will do anything to make you happy, but they speak very limited english, so if it is more than extra towels just call the front desk and they will pass the message on. Most of the staff speaks english well enough to cover all the basics. They are also very patient and encouraging if you are trying to learn spanish, so give it a try!

Things that need serious attention:

General maintenance... not only in the rooms, but the lobby, elevators, walk ways, etc.... The property has been under remodel for at least 5 years, and not only has it not been totally completed, several of the remodeled units need to have maintenance done now. Nothing stays new forever, but it isn't that hard to keep things in decent, clean repair!
Every unit is different as far as if anything has been remodeled or not, some haven't been touched, others the kitchen may have been done, but the bathroom hasn't and is in desperate need of repair or remodeling now (like the unit we just stayed in). Some things are as simple as cleaning the sofa cushions & pillows, keeping the cabinet doors oiled, replacing the bed pillows more often. Other things are a bit more work, but not expensive or hard either! The ramp up to the bar for instance - the laminate wood floor has been buckled for 3 years....

The lobby and bar were lovely just after they were remodeled, but since then most of the decor and furniture has been removed and it just looks like a big empty space. The bar is rarely open and has a tiny selection - either build it up or take it out, because as it is, it is an embarrassment.

Elevators are undergoing a remodel as I write this, so I am hopeful those issues are resolved.

We understand it is the tropics and that presents issues for maintenance - everything warps or rusts or molds in the tropics - the weather we love is exactly what is so hard on everything (aside from what guests may do to it), and the maintenance staff is always working - they do a fabulous job keeping up the exterior of the property (just compare it to the other, more expensive, resorts as you take a walk on the beach and you will see what I mean)

This really is a great property, it isn't new, and it needs some help, but all in all, when you add everything up (good and not so good) it is still my favorite place in Cancun to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Where do I begin? This property is a mess. I am embarrassed to say I am actually an owner here an will never return. This establishment is a Holiday Inn at best in the the states. The only one positive amenity that it has going for it is that it is ocean front, but so are the rest of the hotels in Cancun's massive hotel zone. Why anyone would choose to stay here is beyond comprehension. The location is about a half hour on the bus from anywhere besides a small 7-11 type store walking distance from the hotel. There is one restaurant to eat here. I am not counting a snack bar by the pool as a restaurant. There is one pool and one hot tub that is Luke warm and has been turned into a kitty pool since the main pool is ice cold. The lagoon rooms face the busy street and the lagoon is on the other side of it so how that is considered a view I am not so sure. The ocean view rooms are limited. The ocean view rooms on the first floor have views obstructed by a dirty red roof above their restaurant which had a caution cone sitting on it all week in front of our balcony that maintenance staff never bothered to pick up. The higher level ocean view rooms are better but then you have to wait for an elevator that may or may not come since most are out of order right now. The rooms are in need of a major overhaul and I do not mean replacing just the bathtubs and TV's and putting an island in the kitchen to make it even smaller than it is.....because that is what they are considering their new renovations. The rooms are barely cleaned by the housekeeping staff. Our room was infested with small ants during our stay and we even had a giant cockroach in our living room that housekeeping and the staff supervisor failed to notice after we told them about it and did a quick sweep of the room.....I guess a giant cockroach is easy to miss or maybe they have grown accustomed to them? Once we physically pointed the cockroach out to the staff they offered us a street view room. We asked to please just clean our room properly. They agreed and of course did not. We had to ask a couple more times and hours later, after having to stay out of our room waiting for them to do so they finally did. This was not our first problem with housekeeping. Another day they did not show at all and then one very special day I was barged in on while changing by a cleaning personnel. When my husband and I both asked him to leave and repeatedly said, "no" he continued to walk around the room aimlessly while I was partially clothed. Finally he put the main desk on the phone to translate what we wanted to say and when we asked him to please come back in a an hour they told him and he agreed and then never came back at all that day. There is nothing to do at this hotel either......the bar was open one night of our entire week stay and one rainy afternoon after two days of everyone sitting around in monsoon type weather. They don't offer any type of transportation to the main part of town. You have to take an over priced cab or wait for the bus. They don't offer any bottled water and when you ask they simply tell you to buy it yourself. The air conditioners in the rooms leak all over the floors requiring towels to be laid out and wasted every day. They tell you the Westin amenities are free to use at no charge when in fact their is a fee to use their gym, steam room, sauna and spa hot tub. Regardless I would tell anyone stuck here to go hang out at the Westin, even though it is a bit pricey you will at least be more comfortable while you wait out the minutes till you can check out!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband, sister-in-law and I just spent a week at Club Regina in Cancun. This is the third year we traveled in December but I have been going there for eighteen years. Our goal on vacation is to relax, and we did just that. Club Regina is a great resort, and improves every year. The rooms are well sized, kept clean as is the entire resort. In earlier years we would have to leave the resort each night for dinner and/or drinks. Between Club Regina and Westin they have added restaurants and bars, giving us more options and we only left the resort twice. The entertainment team of Jorge and Victor are great. These two young men compliment each other and work very well together. They make every guest feel welcome and somehow they are able to remember the name of every guest. The entertainment they provide unites all the guests, there are no barriers. We socialized with Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Argentinians, couples, families, single travelers and interesting people we would otherwise never have the chance to meet. Luis at the lobby bar Vajra is a nice addition to Club Regina. He is such a nice young man, courteous, attentive and excellent at his job. Our last night we went across to the Westin to say goodbye to our friend Jorge at the lobby bar. Jorge has been with Westin for many, many, years. I was surprised to see they had entertainment, Rosie singing with her guitar was a nice bonus. The entire staff at Club Regina is always friendly, helpful and smiling. I could go on but I will end this review as I did last year.....can't wait to go back next December.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at Club Regina in January 2013 - the beach is amazing and the recreation staff makes everything fun. The best feature of this resort is that it is tucked away from the *nightlife* area of the hotel zone and has the best beach area. You can snorkel by walking a short length of beach either in the cove area or across the rocky strip near Club Med. I am going again in Feb. 2014. The staff was very accomodating of my request to move to a higher level floor.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I am an owner at this resort. I originally bought in Cabo, but upgraded here several years ago. I went with my spouse and we enjoyed the room and the hot tub. Everything was clean. We asked and got an ocean view room. They had activities for kids, but no kids club. I think you can use the kids club at Westin if you need to. The taxi fees are all on a sign and spelled out clearly so no surprises. I called and arranged a shuttle service from the airport before arriving. I recommend you do that. There were about $30 in optional fees and they were tips for housekeeping and activities director. This hotel is on the far end of the strip, but you can take a bus everywhere you need to go. I recommend the bus and not a taxi. Taxis were very expensive.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rhode island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

this was my first time to club regina in cancun....what a disappointment!!!!
the place is in deplorable condition, both in the rooms and the public places. it is dirty, things are broken, the air conditioning leaks, and they are not always honest in regards to fees. Example, a taxi from the airport to the hotel is 300 pesos......why was i charged 350???
on the other hand, i need to say that the people were very nice and tried to be helpful, but it could not change the fact that this place needs major renovations. the food at the one restaurant was mediocre at best.....i will never return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Santa Clarita
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'll admit, I tend to be a bit of a travel princess, so I wasn't very impressed with this place. The beds are rock-hard and difficult to sleep in and the hotel itself, rooms, etc. look quite out-of-date...not the fancy, perfectly clean kind of place I'm used to. But overall, the staff was incredibly friendly, everyone spoke English (and well!), food was good, there were plenty of English TV channels, and the A/C worked. Good enough for me!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Club Regina Cancun? Share your experiences!