“awful place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chacmool Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cancun
Chacmool Hostel
You added Chacmool Hostel to your Saves list
Gladiolas 18, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #54 of 81 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
nyc
“awful place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

the place is very dirty i was the on ly guest and they put me in the most noisy room i ask for a change they put me in a room with 2 beds and they told me that if somebody else come they will try to put her in another room i had a hard time to fall asleep and then a guest came at 2 am I complained because the guy promise me to be by myself he said we are not going to spend money for the extra light in another room if you dont like you can move I stayed 2 nights and my last night Imoved to a Hotel much nicer and cleaner and the other guest stayed only 1 night because the place is awful,when I told to a tourist where im staying he said move away fat I stayed there only for 1 night,stayed away from this place

Room Tip: dont go to this place
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was there in September 2010

The dorm looks a little dodgy at the beginning but...it is overall a good hostel.

The dorms are ok (not spotless but clean enough), some of the showers don't have hot water (i mean it doesn't work..) but for the price that you pay...it's good enough.

The owners are quite good too and you have a laundry (by the same owners) downstairs..
and it is right in the centre of Cancun

If I go back to Cancun I'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

This is a nice mexican Hostel to stay. The people working there are the most caring about someone that I have ever met in any Hostel. They are greatful to have you in their Hostel. With the lounge, restaurant, park just in front of Hostel there is a very nice atmosphere being in the hostel. When we were there we were told to put our stuff in the office so nothing could get stolen. The people are concerened about climate change and try to improve everything so the hostel does not pollute the environment too much. Only the kitchen is a bit small. But bathrooms are very clean and rooms also. and there is air condition at night, otherwise you cannot sleep there...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

This hostel is in downtown Cancun, which is just so much better for travellers than the stupidly expensive hotel region. The bus to the beaches and hotels is really easy, cheap and runs regularly so it makes sense to pay for a downtown hostel and just get on the bus in the morning. Chac Mool was very cheap, and gave us a room on 2 occasions without a reservation. The rooms are small, and clean enough but not brilliant. They have air con though, so we couldn't complain much! The showers don't look the cleanest at first look (think Saw films)... but once you're in them, they are nice and hot and actually totally fine. The best bit, though, is the rooftop bar which is such a nice surprise! Really good food, cheap drinks, and friendly barmen. And hammocks.
Downtown Cancun has everything you need in terms of restaurants, bars, shops, etc, so you don't need to travel around in the evenings. The hostel is also within walking distance of the bus station (very useful!)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

me and my friend stayed in this place and the lockers are bad. Our Ipods disappeared from the locker eventhough the door was locked and so was the locker. We were the only 2 people in the room so there is no way that it wasn't someone who works there. DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE. Location is decent but you will have your stuff stolen. When we brought it up they only said they couldn't do anything. This place ruined our trip, don't let it do the same to you

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
kike_cancun, Owner at Chacmool Hostel, responded to this review, September 11, 2011
Thanks for your comment, it is very important for us to help us improve our security procedures, we do not really know if this was the case when Pedro Marquez was stealing, but yesterday, September 10, 2011, we caught this person, a homeless who was trying to steal from our lockers, I want to remark that this person was not working here, nor staying here, he said to the police it was not the first time he did this...
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

we were there seven days.. during which two solo travellers and one couple had items stolen.

most suspect the owner of cleaners (the owner, Carlos, is quite an angry man putting it politely). he also refused to turn the aircon on until 11pm at night !

there is some good news , the hostel looks onto cancun's most attractive local square, where there is an english speaking police station amongst the food outlets, and they open early and help you complete the forms

be cafeful if you decide to stay here !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks for your comment, it is very important for us to help us improve our security procedures, Carlos, my father is part of the family bussines a very honest person who has taught us to be honest and work hard, you are totally wrong about your perception, yesterday, September 10, 2011, we caught Pedro Marquez, a homeless who was trying to steal from our lockers, I want to remark that this person was not working here, nor staying here, he said to the police it was not the first time he did this...
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I had to stay for one night in Cancun because I had an early flight to LA, if you can avoid staying in Cancun I probably would, although the hostel I wanted was full, looked great and the staff were super helpful Hostel Ka'beh - book it.

Anyway my room had a puddle of water in it from the rain, a cockroach on one of the other beds, and a restaurant right next to the window, so not quiet. Someone had obviously shaved there head in teh bathroom and there were little hairs everywhere - disgusting!!! The breakfast was toast and coffee, and as for internet I didn't ask, but its somewhere else.

I also went and took a look at Quetzal - which is a bit more expensive, but includes dinner and breakfast and it looked lovely and the lady who runs it was super freindly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Chacmool Hostel? Share your experiences!