My 20-year old niece wanted to go somewhere warm for Spring Break with three of her college roommates so my partner and I offered to chaperone them to Mexico. This was my 8th trip to Cancun. As far as luxury hotels there, I’ve stayed at Le Meridien twice and JW Marriott twice. They’re both highly recommended but I’ve always wanted to try Aqua Cancun.
On a side note…please don’t worry about travelling there. It’s sad to see so many stories online about tourists who are terrified to go to Mexico right now. I’ve always felt very safe…more so than some U.S. cities I’ve been to…and this time was no different. Just stick to the tourist areas and you’ll be fine. Besides, the rates for all of the hotels down there are deeply discounted now (like 35% off or better). The exchange rate is phenomenal, too ($1USD = 14 pesos). It’s just too good to pass up.
We were there for 4 days (March 14 – 18). We booked 2 Deluxe Ocean View rooms for the four girls and an Ocean Front with Terrace for us. Most of the rates for the 5-star resorts in Cancun were in the low-$200…quite a bargain. The Ocean View rooms were booked on Expedia and each included a $200 resort credit. The Ocean Front room was booked on Orbitz and included free daily breakfast for two. I originally tried to book all of the rooms through one website but I found it interesting that they offered different packages. BTW, the breakfast buffet at Siete is incredible. You should definitely try to book a package that includes it. The food is wonderful with an extensive selection. It normally costs 260 pesos ($18 USD). Well worth it.
The entry, lobby and grounds are quite impressive. It has a very clean, modern feel. Check-in was a breeze. When you arrive, they take your luggage and seat you in a lounge area while one of the front desk people helps with your reservation. They offered us an upgrade to a corner “Aqua Suite” (Room #4003) for an additional $200/night but we talked them down to $150. It was pretty spectacular with a huge balcony looking out at the water. Check out the photos we’ve posted. The suite included a daily cabana out by the pool, which included water, fruit and a free foot massage. I probably wouldn’t pay for the cabana out of pocket but it’s a nice add-on if it comes with your package. However, I’m sure I would try to book one of those suites in advance next time, particularly since they seem to be discounted regularly. Or, you can always book a standard room and see what kind of deal you can negotiate when you get there.
The concierge, Omero, was amazing. He showed us the rooms and even helped the girls out when they wanted to switch rooms to be closer to each other and on the same floor. He greeted us every time we were in the lobby, asked how we were doing, and assisted us with dinner reservations and transportation to the market and airport. Super nice guy.
The pool area is fantastic with 8 pools to choose from, including an adults-only area. It does help if you get out there early to grab the location you really want if you’re really particular. Since our group had 6 people in it, we were more inclined to do that. However, I think it would be easier for a 2 people to get a decent spot at any point during the day. I’m really not sure why there are so many negative comments about the pool temperature. They’re exactly what they’re supposed to be… cool and refreshing when you’ve been sitting out there all day in sunny 85 degree weather. The service by the pool is top-notch…all of the waiters are incredibly friendly and efficient. We also ate lunch at the pool every day and would recommend the food (it comes from their Azur restaurant).
From a location standpoint, the Aqua is extremely convenient. There is a large open-air shopping center called La Isla right across the street. It has plenty of food and shopping options. We ate dinner at Italiani’s the first night. Great pizza! If you walk a short distance south, you’ll come across the luxury indoor mall called Kulkulcan Plaza. It’s packed with higher end shops and a number of restaurants. This was the 3rd time I’ve eaten at Casa Maguey and it’s highly recommended. We also tried the Italian restaurant, Cenacolo, and the food was pretty good there, too. We especially liked not having to take a taxi or a bus with 6 people in our group (and we saved a ton on transportation).
There are only two minor issues I would raise. First, our card keys were demagnetized several times and we had to get new ones at the front desk. I’m not sure why it kept happening since we were diligent about protecting them. Second, upon checkout, there were a few corrections on the bill that we had to ask for. One of the rooms did not have the $200 resort credit included and we were also charged a couple times for the free daily cabana. It wasn’t really a big deal. Anyway, you should always review your final bill closely at any hotel, right? Definitely keep an eye out for the credits you’re supposed to receive if you book a package with extras, though.
I will definitely add Aqua Cancun to my list of favorite hotels and visit again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Live Aqua Cancun, a welcoming place, where being is the first part of feeling. Your senses work together. It's a prism of colors, eclectic rhythms, and seductive details. Enjoy the fusion of idyllic days and energizing nights. It is a monument to your arrival to this Cancun Spa Resort. This sophisticated beachfront resort lies along white sand beaches, across the street from La Isla Shopping Mall and walking distance from some of the best restaurants and shopping malls in the city. Exotic drinks, barefoot luxury and activities overlooking the resort's 8 infinity pools are just part of the exquisite details within our All Inclusive concept. Music worships you at every step, with changes in rhythms that match the emotions you feel and the space around you. The sound is never the same, but always relaxing, exciting and harmonic. Arriving, leaving, just belonging makes you sigh with peace. The Aqua aroma seeps into every nook and cranny up to the sky, down to the sea. Return to yourself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Aqua Hotel
- Aqua Hotel Cancun
- Fiesta Americana Grand Aqua