“Fantastic Hotel - Will Definitely Return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive

You added Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive to your Saves list
Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km. 12.5 Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colorado
“Fantastic Hotel - Will Definitely Return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

My 20-year old niece wanted to go somewhere warm for Spring Break with three of her college roommates so my partner and I offered to chaperone them to Mexico. This was my 8th trip to Cancun. As far as luxury hotels there, I’ve stayed at Le Meridien twice and JW Marriott twice. They’re both highly recommended but I’ve always wanted to try Aqua Cancun.

On a side note…please don’t worry about travelling there. It’s sad to see so many stories online about tourists who are terrified to go to Mexico right now. I’ve always felt very safe…more so than some U.S. cities I’ve been to…and this time was no different. Just stick to the tourist areas and you’ll be fine. Besides, the rates for all of the hotels down there are deeply discounted now (like 35% off or better). The exchange rate is phenomenal, too ($1USD = 14 pesos). It’s just too good to pass up.

We were there for 4 days (March 14 – 18). We booked 2 Deluxe Ocean View rooms for the four girls and an Ocean Front with Terrace for us. Most of the rates for the 5-star resorts in Cancun were in the low-$200…quite a bargain. The Ocean View rooms were booked on Expedia and each included a $200 resort credit. The Ocean Front room was booked on Orbitz and included free daily breakfast for two. I originally tried to book all of the rooms through one website but I found it interesting that they offered different packages. BTW, the breakfast buffet at Siete is incredible. You should definitely try to book a package that includes it. The food is wonderful with an extensive selection. It normally costs 260 pesos ($18 USD). Well worth it.

The entry, lobby and grounds are quite impressive. It has a very clean, modern feel. Check-in was a breeze. When you arrive, they take your luggage and seat you in a lounge area while one of the front desk people helps with your reservation. They offered us an upgrade to a corner “Aqua Suite” (Room #4003) for an additional $200/night but we talked them down to $150. It was pretty spectacular with a huge balcony looking out at the water. Check out the photos we’ve posted. The suite included a daily cabana out by the pool, which included water, fruit and a free foot massage. I probably wouldn’t pay for the cabana out of pocket but it’s a nice add-on if it comes with your package. However, I’m sure I would try to book one of those suites in advance next time, particularly since they seem to be discounted regularly. Or, you can always book a standard room and see what kind of deal you can negotiate when you get there.

The concierge, Omero, was amazing. He showed us the rooms and even helped the girls out when they wanted to switch rooms to be closer to each other and on the same floor. He greeted us every time we were in the lobby, asked how we were doing, and assisted us with dinner reservations and transportation to the market and airport. Super nice guy.

The pool area is fantastic with 8 pools to choose from, including an adults-only area. It does help if you get out there early to grab the location you really want if you’re really particular. Since our group had 6 people in it, we were more inclined to do that. However, I think it would be easier for a 2 people to get a decent spot at any point during the day. I’m really not sure why there are so many negative comments about the pool temperature. They’re exactly what they’re supposed to be… cool and refreshing when you’ve been sitting out there all day in sunny 85 degree weather. The service by the pool is top-notch…all of the waiters are incredibly friendly and efficient. We also ate lunch at the pool every day and would recommend the food (it comes from their Azur restaurant).

From a location standpoint, the Aqua is extremely convenient. There is a large open-air shopping center called La Isla right across the street. It has plenty of food and shopping options. We ate dinner at Italiani’s the first night. Great pizza! If you walk a short distance south, you’ll come across the luxury indoor mall called Kulkulcan Plaza. It’s packed with higher end shops and a number of restaurants. This was the 3rd time I’ve eaten at Casa Maguey and it’s highly recommended. We also tried the Italian restaurant, Cenacolo, and the food was pretty good there, too. We especially liked not having to take a taxi or a bus with 6 people in our group (and we saved a ton on transportation).

There are only two minor issues I would raise. First, our card keys were demagnetized several times and we had to get new ones at the front desk. I’m not sure why it kept happening since we were diligent about protecting them. Second, upon checkout, there were a few corrections on the bill that we had to ask for. One of the rooms did not have the $200 resort credit included and we were also charged a couple times for the free daily cabana. It wasn’t really a big deal. Anyway, you should always review your final bill closely at any hotel, right? Definitely keep an eye out for the credits you’re supposed to receive if you book a package with extras, though.

I will definitely add Aqua Cancun to my list of favorite hotels and visit again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,869)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
chiago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Aqua was an overall disappointing experience for myself and my family. When i am paying prices in the >300/night range, i expect the facilities/atmosphere/staff quality/amenities/food to reflect a higher end hotel experience. The hotel staff was adequate at best/not much more. Service at breakfast (which was included in our package) was excellent. Service everywhere else was poor. Food and drinks were expensive and nothing special. Breakfast buffet was amazing (and the best part of our food experience). Md restaurant has a nice atmosphere, horrendous service (ie over half way through my meal by the time the wine was served, water glasses never refilled) and average food. Oh yea... forget to mention while all this inattentive service was happening - there were more staff in the restaurant than customers (only 8 patrons / 2 different tables including us.) In retrospect, i would have been happier spending a little more and staying at the ritz, le meridian, peninsula or spending a little less and staying at an all inclusive down the coast (ie secrets - maroma beach). good luck- disappointed

maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful mini-vacation at the Aqua Cancun (March 22 to March 26). We booked this hotel based on the positive ratings on tripadvisor and we are so glad we did. It was our first vacation without our toddler daughter and my husband and I were looking for a couple of days of pampering and relaxation in a sunny destination and that is exactly what we got. The hotel is beautiful and quiet, the staff attentive but not intrusive, the beach is lovely, and the restaurants were delicious. We spent most of our days under a palapa on the beach soaking up the sun while friendly hotel staff delivered drinks and food to us prepared at the Azure restaurant onsite. We DEFINITELY recommend the Azure's poolside/beachside menu. I especially enjoyed the fish tacos and my husband the nachos with guacamole. We also ate at MB for dinner and Siete for breakfast and ordered room service one night as well and enjoyed all. We actually liked the on-site restaurants more than those we tried across the street at the mall. We had a gorgeous view from our hotel room on the fifth floor in the center of the hotel. A definite plus of this hotel's design is that it appears that ALL rooms have a lovely oceanview. We'd have loved to stay longer if we hadn't been missing our daughter. Would definitely go back in a heartbeat and hope to someday soon.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

My sister and I booked a 4 night stay at the Aqua Cancun to spend time reflecting on the one year anniversary of the loss of both of our parents. We knew it would be time for spring break so we thought we were being careful which hotel to choose. Although there were only a handful of college kids, the hotel was over-run with locals on vacation and each family had to have at least 5 kids...or so it sounded. The noise from the hallway was incredibly loud, and the noise from our neighbors having nookie was loud. I have to admit that the aromatherapy was different...some of the fragerance was nice, some was awful. The music at the hotel was very pleasant and the staf was really nice. One thing I should mention though is that when we booked our trip it was to stay on the "club level" and that's what we paid for. Upon arrival, I was told the "club level" ended in September 2008. In lieu of that, we were given a free cabana daily. The normal rate is $125 USD. I can tell you that it isn't worth it. Don't spend your money on the cabana...you'll get a tray of apples, some bottled water and a 20 minute foot massage....and that's it, all day long.

• Stayed March 2009
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

This was an absolutely amazing hotel. We stayed from March 7-11,2009. The service was above and beyond. The hotel is beautiful, the food was excellent, and the location perfect. We spent the entire stay at the hotel or the mall across the street. There was no need to go anywhere else. We reserved a cabana overlooking the ocean for 2 days, and felt completely relaxed and pampered when we left. The cabana includes a 20 minute reflexology foot massage, water, fruit, brownies, smoothies. The staff was very friendly, and even helped me practice spanish. They were always there for anything you wanted without being pushy or annoying. The beech is beautiful, white, soft sand with crystal clear water in every shade of blue you can imagine. When we were there the water was rough, so swimming in the ocean was not advised, but that just lead to bigger waves to watch. All of the hotel rooms look out over the ocean, and the sunrise was right in front of our room. There are a lot of nice touches such as aromatherapy in your room every evening. The spa services sound wonderful, but I felt so relaxed and pampered in the cabana that I never even went to the spa. They even had chair massages poolside that were complementary! There is a very nice gym. Every day at the pool, 3 scarlet maccaws would fly over the property, and then land where you could hold them. After staying in several 5 star hotels in many nice locations, I can't wait to return to the AQUA!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

First time vacation to Cancun with our 7 & 5 y.o. children. The Aqua was beautiful from the entrance to the lobby & the pool grounds were wonderful. Aromatherapy throughout. NO kids club as noted on their website or in their brochures, this was a HUGE disappointment. Also NO kids pool. There is 1 "adults only" designated pool. All the others are open to all. And we agree with the others, their pools are cold - huge disappointment. Beach was fine, but you are taking a risk swimming there. Drops off very quickly. Had trouble with our room the first night - no hot water & the bathroom door handle was falling off. Got moved to a new room the next morning which was great. We felt for the price, the hallways and rooms could have been cleaner and maintained better (dust bunnies everywhere, stains on floors, outlet covers falling off, etc.). Turndown service with aromatherapy is a delight! Also, add the breakfast buffet at Siete (onsite) to your package - amazing food & worth the price!

Long island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Feb 21, 2009 - Just what my 2 girlfriends and I needed! - an oasis and alternative to the spring breakers. From the moment we entered and were greeted by a wonderful aroma of jasmine and mint (?) to the person who said we should take a seat and they would come to US for check-in,it just got better. The food - 3 fab restaurants. The service was impeccable. The property well maintained. Great finess room. The cabana rental included twenty minute foot massage! Pricier than what my friends & I are accustomed to but well worth every penny! On the beach Antonio kept us well supplied with drinks. Jesus was great at the breakfast buffet (delicious food). Overall FIVE stars!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends